Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2012 Season

Smile MotoGP 2012 Season

Thought I would start posting some news for the upcoming season.

A provisional calendar for the 2012 FIM MotoGP World Championship, and the schedule is as follows:

Date, Grand Prix - Circuit
    15 April, Qatar* - Doha/Losail
    29 April, Spain (STC) - Jerez de la Frontera
    6 May, Portugal (STC) - Estoril
    20 May, France - Le Mans
    3 June, Catalunya - Catalunya
    17 June, Great Britain - Silverstone
    30 June, Netherlands** - Assen
    8 July, Germany (STC) - TBC
    15 July, Italy - Mugello
    29 July, United States*** - Laguna Seca
    19 August, Indianapolis - Indianapolis
    26 August, Czech Rep. - Brno
    16 September, San Marino & Riviera di Rimini - Misano
    30 September, Aragon - Motorland
    14 October, Japan - Motegi
    21 October, Malaysia - Sepang
    28 October, Australia - Phillip Island
    11 November, Valencia - Ricardo Tormo – Valencia

* Evening Race
    ** Saturday Race
    *** Only MotoGP class
    STC (Subject to the contract)
    TBC (To be confirmed)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96900

Dovizioso breaks collarbone in motocross accident

Friday, January 6th 2012, 10:05 GMT

Andrea Dovizioso has joined Nicky Hayden on MotoGP's injury list after breaking his collarbone in a motocross accident.

The Italian, who moves from the works Honda squad to Tech 3 Yamaha for 2012, tweeted a picture of his injury late on Thursday night, commenting: "I broke my right collarbone doing motocross."

Hayden meanwhile broke his left scapula and fractured two ribs in a training accident in Kentucky at the end of December.

Dovizioso's new team is yet to comment on the implications of his injury, but with MotoGP's first test of the year commencing at Sepang, Malaysia, on 31 January, both he and Hayden face a battle to be fit in time to participate.

Dovizioso, 25, finished third in last year's MotoGP championship, having taken seven podiums over the course of the season.

Despite that he was released from his works deal with Honda, the Japanese manufacturer opting to run just two riders in the works team due to budget constraints.

He signed for Tech 3 Yamaha, where he will partner Cal Crutchlow for the 2012 season.

Both Crutchlow and his 2011 team-mate Colin Edwards broke their collarbones during MotoGP events last year.
    Last edited by Sianellen; 13th January 2012 at 10:00.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96919

Andrea Dovizioso expected to be fit for first MotoGP test after successful collarbone surgery

By Michele Lostia and Matt Beer Sunday, January 8th 2012, 17:46 GMT

Andrea Dovizioso should "easily" be fit in time for the first 2012 MotoGP tests, says the surgeon who repaired his broken collarbone.

Tech 3 Yamaha convert Dovizioso sustained the injury in a motocross crash on Thursday, and underwent a one-hour operation in Cattolica yesterday. The surgery was carried out by Dr Giuseppe Porcellini, who also repaired Valentino Rossi's 2010 shoulder injury, and observed by Dr Fabrizio Borra - physio to both Dovizioso and Fernando Alonso.

Dr Porcellini said the injury had been complicated but that he saw no reason why it should interfere with Dovizioso's participation in the Sepang test, which commences on 31 January.

"The fracture was rather complex with four fragments," the surgeon told Gazzetta dello Sport. "We drilled eight holes and stabilised the fracture with a plate.

"Andrea will have his arm blocked for 15 days, after which he'll begin rehabilitation in order to be ready for the first test session in Malaysia at the end of the month.

"In these first few days Borra will have to carry on with the work on the lower limbs after which, once the arm is set free, work will begin on the upper limbs to strengthen the muscles.

"If there are no problems, Dovizioso will easily be able to face the tests, while we'll remove the plate in one year's time."

After the operation, Dovizioso said on his Twitter account that he felt "like new".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96931

Nicky Hayden optimistic he will be fit for first MotoGP winter test at Sepang

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 10:03 GMT

Nicky Hayden is hopeful that he will be fit for the first pre-season MotoGP test at Sepang, despite injuring himself recently in a motorcycle crash.

The American broke his left scapula and fractured two ribs after falling from a bike in late December - in what was his first ride since recovering from a scaphoid injury he picked up at Valencia.

Although that recent crash cast doubt on his participation in the Sepang test, Hayden said on Tuesday that his recovery was going well - and that he was working towards being fully fit for the important run in Malaysia, which starts on 31 January.

"I'm quite better now," he said during the annual Wrooom media event for Ducati and Ferrari. "It has been two weeks today and now I can remove the sling.

"The first bit was a little bit uncomfortable because I broke three ribs, and ribs are never fun, but now I can take away the sling and do a bit of rehab.

"The goal is to be able to ride in Malaysia. It is going to be a little bit close though, because the shoulder blade I broke bad a little way through. But [there will be] no operation because it is not an easy one to fix, with a lot of muscle and other soft tissue that you have to cut for an operation.

"But I feel a lot better now - and the target is to be in Sepang. I already missed one test in Malaysia and I don't want to miss another one."

The Malaysia test is a vital one for Ducati, with the Italian manufacturer keen to make big steps forward with the GP12 bike that it hopes will allow it to take the fight to Honda and Yamaha in 2012.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96933

Valentino Rossi admits Ducati unlikely to be a MotoGP title threat in 2012

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 10:40 GMT

Valentino Rossi has played down Ducati's chances of fighting for MotoGP title glory in 2012 - but is optimistic the Italian manufacturer will be closer to the front this year.

After a difficult 2011 campaign, where neither Rossi nor team-mate Nicky Hayden won a race, Ducati is hoping that its new GP12 bike will deliver a good step forward in the forthcoming season.

But despite high hopes that the machine will be an improvement, Rossi concedes that making the step from where Ducati was last year to becoming title winner in 2012 is probably too much to expect.

"The championship is difficult because the gap in 2011 was quite big," said Rossi during a press conference at the annual Wrooom Ducati and Ferrari media event at Madonna di Campiglio on Tuesday.

"Our target is to fix problems step by step, and try to come closer to Yamaha and Honda. And from that moment, start to fix all the details, to be competitive for the victory."

When pushed further on his belief that the title was not possible in 2012, Rossi replied: "I do not want to say from the start that I cannot fight for the championship, but I have to be realistic.

"In the end there was 1.5 seconds we have to recover, and our target is to get close to the others and be able to race with them and fight with them. This is our goal."

Ducati's new GP12 bike was off the pace in the post-season Valencia test and, although improvements should bring it closer to the front in the forthcoming pre-season run in Malaysia, Rossi is not expecting an instant transformation in form.

"I think that the first test will be important, and for sure the bike will be different compared to last year," he explained. "It is impossible to be competitive from the first test, but I think we will have some good information to work with, and be ready for the first race."

Rossi is sure, however, that with good work from himself and Ducati, results will come soon - and that things will definitely be better than they were last season.

"Last year was a lot worse because from the first test we understood that the season will be very tough and difficult," he explained. "After three laps we understood we could not win the first race, but now the situation is better – because I am fit.

"We know we need time, but we work well together – and it is a dream to try and win the first race. But in reality, we are a bit too far off – but maybe the new bike is a miracle."

Rossi believes that one factor that will be better for him this year is his physical shape – because he is no longer troubled by the shoulder injury that affected his form during the first part of 2011.

When asked about how his feelings for this year compared to those he had prior to 2011, he said: "I have to say it is a bit different because last year I arrived in a worse physical condition, so my mood was a bit down.

"Today I am in shape physically, and we have two or three weeks ahead of us. I am ready for the first test. It is nice to work with Ducati, even if unfortunately the results have been under our expectations. The atmosphere is nice and we all believe in what we are doing."

Hayden too is bullish that the GP12, which he has not yet ridden, will produce the improved pace that Ducati is after.

"I am very optimistic," he said. "I think we have some different stuff to try in Malaysia, but it is not easy.

"Honda has really set the bar high, and hopefully we are closer there than we were in Valencia. But sitting up here – talk is cheap. I can say this and that about how we are going to be right there, but until we get there and roll out of the garage...

"I am confident we will be closer. We have some idea – but there is no need to make any predictions here in January. And even then it doesn't matter until we get to Qatar. I hope we will be much closer, and it will tell us more where the 1000s are against the 800s. But I believe in Ducati, I believe in this project, Filippo [Preziosi] and everyone involved."

Looking at the overall MotoGP situation going into 2012, Rossi thinks Honda may carry over some of its 2011 advantage – but he hopes the switch to 1000cc engines will level the playing field.

"I think that in 2011, Honda decided they wanted to win and they put on the table an amount of money that others did not have," he said. "It came out with a bike that was really incredible, so this technology will go on with 1000cc.

"But I hope Yamaha will be more competitive and I hope so for us, to have a more balanced championship. That is our desire."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97005

MotoGP has announced a 21-bike entry list for 2012, with Danilo Petrucci, Ivan Silva and Yonny Hernandez confirmed as riders for the final CRT bikes.

The new lower-cost category will provide just under half the field, with nine CRT bikes on the list.

In addition to established MotoGP teams Aspar and Gresini fielding CRT entries, Forward Racing, Ioda Racing Project, Speed Master and BQR step up from the support categories to run CRT bikes and Paul Bird Racing moves over from Superbikes.

BQR will field Moto2 graduate Hernandez and former Superbike and 250cc rider Ivan Silva on FTR chassis, while the Ioda bike goes to Italian Superstock 1000 champion Petrucci.

No Rider Team Bike
    1 Casey Stoner Honda Team Honda
    4 Andrea Dovizioso Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha
    5 Colin Edwards Forward Racing Suter
    6 Stefan Bradl LCR Honda MotoGP Honda
    8 Hector Barbera Pramac Racing Team Ducati
    9 Danilo Petrucci Ioda Racing Project Ioda
    11 Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha
    13 Anthony West Speed Master ART
    14 Randy de Puniet Aspar Team MotoGP ART
    17 Karel Abraham Cardion AB Motoracing Ducati
    19 Alvaro Bautista Honda Gresini Honda
    20 Aleix Espargaro Aspar Team MotoGP ART
    22 Ivan Silva BQR BQR-FTR
    26 Dani Pedrosa Honda Team Honda
    35 Cal Crutchlow Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha
    46 Valentino Rossi Ducati Team Ducati
    51 Michele Pirro Honda Gresini Ftr
    68 Yonny Hernandez BQR BQR-FTR
    69 Nicky Hayden Ducati Team Ducati
    77 James Ellison Paul Bird Racing ART
    99 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha

Jorge Lorenzo fastest in first 2012 MotoGP test as Casey Stoner misses session

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 10:17 GMT

Jorge Lorenzo marked his return to the track after last year's injury with the fastest time in the first pre-season MotoGP test at Sepang, while reigning champion Casey Stoner sat out the session with back pain.

Stoner aggravated an old back injury while warming up before going out this morning. After receiving physio, he decided to wait until tomorrow before taking to the track, with Honda test rider Kousuke Akiyoshi doing a handful of laps on his bike instead.

At the front, Yamaha rider Lorenzo set the pace with a lap of 2m01.657s, 0.2 seconds slower than last year's pole time at the Malaysian Grand Prix venue, and 0.346s ahead of second-placed Dani Pedrosa's Honda. 2010 champion Lorenzo was making his first appearance for Yamaha since his '11 campaign was ended prematurely by a serious hand injury sustained at Philip Island.

Yamaha had three bikes in the top four, with Tech 3 rider Cal Crutchlow impressing in third place and Ben Spies putting the second factory bike fourth. Crutchlow's new team-mate Andrea Dovizioso was sixth as he got back up to speed after breaking his collarbone in a recent motocross accident.

Valentino Rossi took an encouraging fifth on the best of the Ducatis, 0.7s off the pace, and 0.8s quicker than team-mate Nicky Hayden - another man recovering from a winter injury.

A handful of the new CRT bikes were present, but a long way off the pace, with Forward Racing's Colin Edwards 6.6s down on Lorenzo on his Suter-BMW, although he did lose mileage to electrical problems. The Avintia FTR-Kawasakis of Jordi Torres and Ivan Silva were several seconds slower still.

Fellow CRT squads Aspar and Speed Master had already begun testing in a private session at Valencia on Monday, where Aspar's Randy de Puniet was quickest on 1m35.3s - 3.5s slower than the 2011 MotoGP pole time.

Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap Laps
    1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m01.657s 30
    2. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m02.003s + 0.346s 48
    3. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m02.221s + 0.564s 32
    4. Ben Spies Yamaha 2m02.234s + 0.577s 28
    5. Valentino Rossi Ducati 2m02.392s + 0.735s 43
    6. Andrea Dovizioso Tech 3 Yamaha 2m02.751s + 1.094s 20
    7. Hector Barbera Pramac Ducati 2m02.773s + 1.116s 41
    8. Katsuyuki Nakasuga Yamaha 2m02.829s + 1.172s 32
    9. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 2m02.869s + 1.212s 45
    10. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m03.151s + 1.494s 33
    11. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 2m03.668s + 2.011s 44
    12. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 2m03.781s + 2.124s 45
    13. Franco Battaini Ducati 2m04.986s + 3.329s 35
    14. Kousuke Akiyoshi Honda 2m07.163s + 5.506s 4
    15. Colin Edwards Forward Suter-BMW 2m08.240s + 6.583s 21
    16. Jordi Torres Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m10.671s + 9.014s 42
    17. Ivan Silva Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m11.267s + 9.610s 12

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97232

Yay, avanti Jorge!

Hopefully Ducati will start the season with better bikes than last year.

The future is RED

Rossi 'very happy' with GP12

Valentino Rossi was so pleased with the 'all new' version of his Desmosedici GP12 bike that he didn't even try last November's first incarnation of Ducati's first aluminium-frame grand prix machine.

Rossi and team-mate Nicky Hayden made their debut with the new GP12 at the start of 2012 MotoGP testing at Sepang on Tuesday, when Rossi set the fifth fastest lap time, 0.735s behind Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo.

During five days of testing at the same track last year, using the 800cc Ducati with a carbon-fibre frame, Rossi had been unable to get within one-second of the top time and was often around 1.5s off the pace.

But it wasn't just the lap time that pleased Rossi...

"We are already 'half way' compared with last year. The distance is 0.7s compared with Lorenzo, who did a very good lap," said Rossi, speaking outside the Ducati Team pit garage on Tuesday evening.

"I am so happy especially because we fixed a lot of problems that in all of the 2011 season we were not able to improve. Braking, corner entry, agility - the bike is a lot better. Ducati have done a great job in a short time.

"It is just the first day, so we must work a lot. I think in acceleration the bike remains a bit too unstable [running wide]. I think the engine and electronics, a little bit of chassis, but we can do [it] I think. We can be competitive."

Like many 800cc Desmosedici riders before him, Rossi was baffled by front-end problems throughout last year - despite several major modifications during the season.

"Now I can [load] the front tyre. I can use the front and the tyre works well," he explained. "It is a big, big step compared to last year. Also with my position on the bike, last year I never felt confident. With this one I have enough room in the straight and a good position in the corner.

"Another very positive thing today is that when we worked on the bike we improved. That is a record for me! Last year never! Always the same or maybe worse. This time we work on the bike and every exit 0.1s-0.2s faster.

"Last year on the third lap we would do a lap time - and after 50 laps the lap time was maybe a little worse!

"When you make a new bike in three months it is a great big question mark. First this new bike is beautiful, but especially it is a lot faster. We have to work but the base is good."

Having finished seventh with just one podium last season, Rossi knows there is a long road ahead before he can think about adding to his 79 premier-class wins.

"Compared to last year we have to try to fight for the podium before we can think about winning or fighting for the championship," said the seven-time MotoGP champion.

"So we are far. For sure Honda and Yamaha are very good and the riders are fast. The work ahead is hard. I will be very happy is at the end of the test we can stay under one-second from the top."

And the previous specification bike from Valencia?

"Never used," confirmed Rossi.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/news/la...ppy-with-GP12/

That's promising words from Rossi. Hopefully the Ducati has the pace to keep up with Yamaha and Honda.

The future is RED

Stoner shrugs off Tuesday back injury to top second day of MotoGP testing at Sepang

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 10:55 GMT

Casey Stoner shrugged off his Tuesday back problem to set the fastest time of the second day of MotoGP winter testing at Sepang.

The reigning world champion had been forced to skip day one when he hurt his back while warming up before going out for the first time. Although with a total mileage of 29 laps, he completed rather less running than his rivals today, Stoner still showed his and Honda's pace with a 2m00.895s lap.

That deposed morning pacesetter Ben Spies (Yamaha) by 0.157 seconds - although the American was briefly credited with a time 2.7s faster than anyone else due to a glitch near the end of the day.

Tuesday's fastest rider Jorge Lorenzo completed the top three on the second works Yamaha today, ahead of Stoner's Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa and Cal Crutchlow - who again showed very strong pace on the Tech 3 Yamaha.

Quickest Ducati was the Pramac example of Hector Barbera in sixth, with works rider Valentino Rossi slightly off his Tuesday pace in seventh position, 0.9s down on Stoner.

Alvaro Bautista (Gresini Honda), Andrea Dovizioso (Tech 3 Yamaha) and Nicky Hayden (Ducati) completed the top 10).

There was some encouragement for the CRT runners as Forward's Colin Edwards used a higher-spec Suter-BMW to get the gap to the front down to 4.7s, although the Avintia-branded, BQR-run, FTR-Kawasakis continued to struggle for speed and reliability at the tail of the field.

Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap Laps
    1. Casey Stoner Honda 2m00.895s 29
    2. Ben Spies Yamaha 2m01.052s + 0.157s 37
    3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m01.068s + 0.173s 40
    4. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m01.508s + 0.613s 35
    5. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m01.565s + 0.670s 42
    6. Hector Barbera Pramac Ducati 2m01.788s + 0.893s 50
    7. Valentino Rossi Ducati 2m01.886s + 0.991s 44
    8. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 2m01.933s + 1.038s 46
    9. Andrea Dovizioso Tech 3 Yamaha 2m02.160s + 1.265s 42
    10. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m02.354s + 1.459s 41
    11. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 2m02.414s + 1.519s 41
    12. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 2m02.598s + 1.703s 66
    13. Katsuyuki Nakasuga Yamaha 2m02.941s + 2.046s 40
    14. Franco Battaini Ducati 2m04.311s + 3.416s 38
    15. Colin Edwards Forward Suter-BMW 2m05.603s + 4.708s 37
    16. Ivan Silva Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m10.297s + 9.402s 16
    17. Jordi Torres Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m11.893s + 10.998s 2
    18. Robertino Pietri Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m12.546s + 11.651s 5

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97247

I hope Stoner will be hard to stop this year

As much as I like Stoner, I hope the winner will be on a red bike.

Fab BBC trailer for the new season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/17451787
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post

Brilliant

I may just try this again

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Available to UK users only.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Available to UK users only.
    Try this -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_JIJiZHqWI
    Forza Jules

That's brilliant! Grazie, amica mia!

New rules? I wanna say 1000cc engines, but I'm sure that's wrong

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    That's brilliant! Grazie, amica mia!

New rules? I wanna say 1000cc engines, but I'm sure that's wrong
    not wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    not wrong
    Story of my life--even when I'm right, I'm wrong (or is that the other way around? )

Hey, can someone please do me a button thingy the size of my Juve and Habs ones for Ducati? I tried, but it's illegible

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Anyone?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98210

BMW open to future MotoGP programme

By Matt Beer

BMW says it is open to a future MotoGP programme and is using its engine supply deal with CRT team Forward Racing and Suter as a toe in the water effort to assess the series.

The German firm's current main motorcycle campaign is in World Superbikes, but BMW Motorrad president Hendrik von Kuenheim told the official MotoGP website that the prototype championship was very attractive.

"MotoGP is the most-watched motorcycle racing sport in the world," he said. "Next to Formula 1, it is the reference benchmark in motorsports. When you look at individual races, like at Jerez or Assen, there is no Formula 1 race in the world where you get that amount of spectators.

"So it is a very, very clear platform to present yourself, and we have to think about if one day we need to enter into this as well. Whoever races there and wins is the reference in sports bikes."

Von Kuenheim also feels that MotoGP's new 1000cc engine regulations make it of greater interest to BMW.

"With the new rules and regulations that have come into effect now, our engine is possibly very, very suited for MotoGP racing. But then racing is expensive and we have to think about this," he said.

Suter is using a BMW engine in its CRT MotoGP chassis, which Colin Edwards will ride for Forward Racing, this year. While von Kuenheim played down BMW's role in this programme, he said the firm was keeping a close eye on how its engine fared.

"We are there to watch and to see how Mr [Eskil] Suter will do," said von Kuenheim. "It was his initiative. Obviously he gets some input and some support from BMW, but it is his project. We must make that very clear - it is not a BMW project.

"But it is, as you would say, a foot into the door to understand how the racing series works and what the potential of this is."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98207

Rossi and Hayden confident Ducati can be frontrunner once it has understood GP12

By Matt Beer Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 11:25 GMT

Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden are confident that Ducati just needs time to fully understand its new GP12 before it can be a MotoGP frontrunner again.

Speaking at the official launch of the team's 2012 bike and revised livery, the pair said that the sheer number of changes compared to the 2011 Ducati meant it would take a while before it showed its true potential. The GP12 showed promising form at the first winter test, but the second test was more troubled.

"I know that plenty of changes have taken place. We have incredible competition," said Rossi. "We've started to work with this bike in the tests and [technical chief] Filippo [Preziosi] and the team have put in an incredible effort.

"The bike has changed so much compared to the model we had last year.

"I think we just need some extra time to establish a sort of friendship with this bike and familiarise ourselves with the new concept."

Hayden underlined that even at this early stage, it was clear Ducati had made gain with the new bike.

"I think we've improved in a lot of areas," he said. "Obviously with the engine, the extra 200cc is a lot, but with the chassis we've made a big step. This chassis has more feeling and it's easier to make adjustments, so during the weekend we can find the right way."

Rossi agreed that the fact that the bike was easier to work with would be an asset.

"What counts is improvement," he said. "We tried to progress last year but it was very difficult. This year, race after race we will improve.

"This bike is easier to work on and make adjustments. You can really fine-tune it."

God Ducati and Ferrari are having such similar fortunes it is eerie.

Yamahas look better than last year come on Jorge!!

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

I'm looking forward to MotoGP starting - aside from Casey Stoner, there's no-one I really dislike. Will be cheering mostly for Dani but I like Vale and Nicky too. And I like Jorge for his crazy celebrations... oh and Cal Crutchlow and Dovi as well. Basically everyone aside from the moaner, I guess! And of course Marco will be very sadly missed
    Forza Jules

I love all this anti stoner

Wait for this year he will win easy go u Aussie

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98661

Jorge Lorenzo claimed pole position for the MotoGP season-opening Qatar Grand Prix, denying Casey Stoner a fourth straight Losail pole.

It was reigning champion Stoner who led the way for Honda for most of the hour, as he both topped the part of the session devoted to practice, then improved to a 1m55.149s on his first concerted pole shot with 11 minutes left.

That was beaten by Lorenzo's 1m54.993s for Yamaha just afterwards, and although four-time Qatar winner Stoner fought back with a 1m54.855s, it put him on top for less than a minute before the Yamaha lapped 0.221 seconds quicker. Neither man could get any more pace out of their last sets of soft tyres, so Lorenzo's 19th MotoGP pole was secured.

Cal Crutchlow turned his practice promise into a career-best MotoGP starting position and first front row grid slot in third place for Tech 3 Yamaha, three places ahead of team-mate Andrea Dovizioso.

The second works Yamaha of Ben Spies was left fourth on the grid after crashing with four minutes to go. It looked like the American might regain balance and stay upright, but eventually the bike got away from him.

Nicky Hayden grabbed fifth for Ducati in the closing seconds, but his team-mate Valentino Rossi was the slowest of the prototype riders in a lowly 12th place.

It was a quiet session for Dani Pedrosa (Honda) as well. The Spaniard will line up seventh, ahead of Hector Barbera's Pramac Ducati, top rookie Stefan Bradl on the LCR Honda and late crasher Karel Abraham (Cardion AB Ducati).

Spies and Abraham aside, the session saw five other crashes - all among CRT runners. Danilo Petrucci (Ioda), Ivan Silva (Avintia), Mattia Pasini (Speed Master), Randy de Puniet (Aspar) and James Ellison (Paul Bird Motorsport) were all uninjured in their tumbles, unlike their bikes.

Forward Racing's Colin Edwards was the fastest CRT rider, less than a second off his sometime Yamaha team-mate Rossi's pace on the works MotoGP Ducati.
    Hoping for a good race tomorrow, and an exciting and SAFE season for everyone.
    Forza Jules

'I cannot ride this Ducati' declares Valentino Rossi after Qatar MotoGP struggle
    Source: Autosport

A downbeat Valentino Rossi conceded that at present he simply cannot get to grips with the 2012 Ducati after struggling to 10th place in the Qatar Grand Prix.

The seven-time MotoGP champion was a long way off the pace throughout the Losail weekend, and could not match team-mate Nicky Hayden's pace.

While Rossi said an earlier clash with Hector Barbera was a factor in his Qatar result, he admitted that the biggest problem was that the bike did not suit him at all.

"I had big problems at the beginning of the race: when we are on new tyres I struggle under braking," he told Italian broadcaster Mediaset. "On top of that, I lost four or five seconds after coming together with Barbera. I then managed to improve a bit and on the last lap I even managed to set my quickest lap on worn tyres. But it's useless, we struggle to be competitive.

"I can't ride this bike, I can't make the difference, I can't even keep up with Hayden's pace, who I used to go quick against in comparison. In theory, with new tyres I should go quicker. Nicky managed to do a good race with the other works Ducati, but he still ended up only sixth."

Rossi fears that 2012 could end up being even harder than last year, when he took just one podium finish.
    "In Jerez testing it went better, sixth with the quicker tyres," he said. "But that's our pace, it's not an attractive objective to be fighting for sixth place. We are used to better objectives.

"Probably we are going worse than last year because we managed to be seventh back then... What can I say? I want to be frank. I can't ride this bike well, even in comparison with my fellow Ducati riders.

"This Ducati has problems: I gave indications over where to intervene, but we didn't solve our problems. Unfortunately I'm no engineer and can't do anything about it. At least the positive aspect is that I don't crash with this chassis. That's something at least."

The Italian added that he was finding it hard to be optimistic as Ducati had failed to progress from a disappointing start in 2011.

"We ran out of hope last year. More than hope we need a better bike," Rossi said. "But I wouldn't want to expose myself like I did last year, by thinking and hoping that the second chassis development would be an improvement.
    "I tried to be a professional. When Barbera pushed me out I even considered returning to the pits, but then I stayed out in order to give our technicians some data to study so as to improve things."
    Horrible to see the Doc giving up like this, Ducati clearly can't provide a decent bike for him though - even with his influence.