Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 WEC, ALMS&ELMS News

The armada arrives Ferrari Republic Square
    11/06/201212:00 - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

The armada AF Corse has just made its appearance Republic Square with its four Ferrari 458 Italia to pass regulatory audits. The 2012 edition is an important feature because the Alpine team, responsible for the direct involvement of the plant, still chasing his first victory at Le Mans. She will face stiff competition with the Corvette, Aston Martin and Porsche.

To meet this challenge, the team will run two models with three former GTE Pro Formula 1 drivers: Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni (a victory in GT in 2008) and Olivier Beretta (6 wins in GT).

No. 51: Fisichella / Bruni / Vilander (GTE Pro)

No. 71: Bertolini / Beretta / Cioci (GTE Pro)

In GTE Am, again the team will enter two Ferrari 458 Italia (2011 model as the Regulation states) with a car (No. 61) in association with the team of NASCAR driver Michael Waltrip.

No. 61: Kauffmann / Vickers / Aguas (GTE Am)

No. 81: Perazzini / Griffin / Cadei (GTE Am)
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Great vids, articles n pix Rob..Fantastico!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Great vids, articles n pix Rob..Fantastico!
    grazie

As always great build up to the great race. Brilliant every year. Cannt wait to the quali session thursday too see the cars run at low fuel and flat out. Like too see Toyota get front row and do well.

Audi Camp halved
    12/06/20124:15 p.m. - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

Extremely rare for a manufacturer: Audi commits two different cars in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This choice implies a new organization that details the driver Romain Dumas, who won in 2010.

This is not the first time that Audi opted not to put its four eggs in one basket. In 1999, the year of its debut at Le Mans, the builder had aligned two rings R8: R for a Roadster, for a C Coupe. If, at the time, the objective of the dual commitment was to compare the interest of both types of architectures (open and closed) in 2012, it is quite another. "Audi wants to promote its hybrid technology and quattro but prefers still ensure his back with two more conventional models, " said Romain Dumas, R18 Ultra driver of a "conventional".

This new situation has somewhat changed the organization of Audi Sport Team Joest. "The stand is divided into two, says Dumas. Nevertheless, the starting settings are the same on both types of cars. Second, due to technological differences, adjustments away. After each practice session or each race, we do analysis meetings. Before, they were common, but as it was too long, we separated the group of "Ultra" and the "E-Tron Quattro". Only after the briefings that the engineers of each car meet to share their knowledge. "

Last month at Spa-Francorchamps, the first round of confrontation between the two internal camps Audi had ended in victory for the old school, that of "Ultra" in the face of revolutionary program "E- tron Quattro ".

In 1999, Audi R8C committed a ... .. and a R8R.

Nice video of the Audi engineers...

hold on...

Day three of Le Mans week and even the wet weather couldn’t stop the fans enjoying the Tuesday autograph session at the circuit. The teams and drivers wrapped up warm, put up their awnings and welcomed the crowds who worked their way down the pitlane gathering signatures and pictures with their favourite drivers.

After two days of technical and administration checks in the Place de la Republique in the city of Le Mans, today was the first day of activities at the circuit with driver and team manager meetings preceding the first public event of the week. Thousands of fans, many of whom have arrived from all over the world, got their first opportunity to see the cars and drivers up close.

Tomorrow the teams will take to the track for two sessions lasting a total of 6-hours. Free practice will start at 16:00 and will last until 20:00 and then the first qualifying practice session will take place from 22:00 until midnight.

Jeff Carter

http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/rain-f...-mans_261.html

Eight-time Le Mans winner believes the 2014 LMP1 rule changes will improve the category
    By Matt Beer Tuesday, June 19th 2012, 10:27 GMT

Eight-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Tom Kristensen believes the event's 2014 LMP1 rules package will both make sportscar racing more relevant to fans and ensure parity between different technologies.

Le Mans and World Endurance Championship organisers the Automobile Club de l'Ouest and the FIA announced last Thursday that from 2014 the regulations would be opened up to allow a greater variety of energy recovery systems, with a variable fuel allocation per lap designed to ensure performance equivalency between cars with different size hybrid devices, and petrol or diesel engines.

LMP1 hybrids' energy-recovery devices are currently limited to 500KJ, but under the 2014 rules, devices of up to 8MJ will be permitted. Audi scored the first Le Mans wins for a hybrid car last weekend with its e-tron.

Kristensen hopes the new rules package will lead to a greater variety of engine types and hybrid solutions racing equally at the front of the Le Mans field, and thinks it will tie in well with the growing role of eco-technology in road car design.

"It's perfect. The same for everyone. It's the right way to go," he told AUTOSPORT.

"For sure you will see more different concepts and it sounds brilliant.

"You need 24 hour racing and Le Mans to have relevance with what's going on in, let's say, real life - what the spectators arrive and drive in. I think this makes it exactly relevant to that."

The Dane also believes that the new rules, which equalise different technology systems through fuel allocations, will give the Le Mans organisers have a better chance of achieving performance equality compared to the restrictors used to try and get diesel and petrol engines on a level playing field in recent years.

"I think so [that it will work better], because you will of course see that some are able to adapt better to different circumstances," said Kristensen.

"Now it's up to some of the brains behind the scenes to try and optimise the different ways.

"It will still count for the world championship as well, so you'll have to think, OK, there are double points for Le Mans, but you need a solution that can work at different racetracks in all areas."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100499

Toyota has had a great time and other more delicate in Le Mans 24 Hours which ended prematurely during the eleventh hour of the race.

After an impressive start to their first race, the two TS030 Hybrid are the outposts: Nicolas Lapierre, who shares the No. 7 with Alex Wurz and Kazuki Nakajima takes the lead of the race at the approach of the sixth hour. Unfortunately, the joy of seeing his team take the hybrid powertrain squad ended a few seconds later, with the crash of Anthony Davidson, who drives the No. 8 with Stephane Sarrazin and Sebastien Buemi. The Columbia was hit by a car in which he took a turn and suffers a violent impact on the tire wall at Mulsanne corner, which concludes the Mulsanne Straight. At this point, the cars reach their top speed to over 330 km / h. After exiting the car on his own, Anthony Davidson was transported to the circuit medical center, suffering from shock and back. Despite any apparent injury, he joined the hospital for checks revealed two broken vertebrae. These injuries should be completely healed in about three months.

After neutralization, the green flag is displayed. Kazuki is fighting for first place but touches another car in traffic, resulting in a puncture and damage to the rear bodywork. This incident marks the beginning of a series of problems that waste a lot of time at No. 7 in the pits. An engine problem forced after 10:30 # 7 finally abandoned. The TS030 Hybrid will make its return to the track on Aug. 26 for the 6 Hours of Silverstone, the fourth round of the Endurance World Championship FIA.

Yoshiaki Kinoshita (President of Toyota Racing): "At present, our predominant feeling is sadness. All our wishes are for Anthony, who is a fantastic friend and a major force of our team. We sincerely hope he will recover very quickly. Sorry for not having been able to bring a good result with the No. 7 - who met with an alternator problem and a blown engine - to encourage him. During the next few days, we will look at the first six hours of racing and we are proud to have completed the 24 Hours of Le Mans when we return. This motivates us to further whip to bring back some trophies for the rest of the season. "

Alexander Wurz (TS030 Toyota Hybrid No. 7, abandonment): "Despite the disappointment on the track, the most important is the status of Anthony and I hope it will go well. We saw some very positive points of our car, which showed a good performance. This race showed us some important lessons which we can work in the coming weeks. This is a great reward for everyone to have led the Le Mans 24 Hours at our first attempt. "

Nicolas Lapierre (TS030 Toyota Hybrid No. 7, abandonment): "The program is young and this is our first race. We made ​​a good beginning and a good qualification test. I think we can be happy with our performance level. We fought against the leaders with two cars, which is a great success. I also think Anthony: more than anything, the most important thing is that he recovers quickly. "

Kazuki Nakajima (TS030 Toyota Hybrid No. 7, abandonment): "I was saddened to learn of the injury and Anthony, as the whole team, I hope he comes back soon. This is a real disappointment to finish the race so early. We had a good start, but I have had contact with another car after neutralization. Just after we experienced a problem that was not related to this incident and accordingly, we lost time. I made ​​some runs at night in difficult conditions: I had a slow puncture and severe vibration. It was difficult to temperature in the tires and I had trouble making them work. "

Stephane Sarrazin (Hybrid Toyota TS030 # 8, abandonment): "First, I am relieved that Anthony will be out of such an accident and I hope he recovers quickly. Concerning the race, the car was competitive and after careful at the beginning, we were really on. We followed a very good pace, with both cars in the top 3. For a car that made ​​its first rounds only a few months ago, it's amazing to be at this level at Le Mans. There is disappointment, obviously, but we must keep this positive experience. "

Sebastien Buemi (Hybrid Toyota TS030 # 8, abandonment): "Being at the start of Le Mans for the first time was an incredible day for me and we performed very well until the accident. The car was really fast and we gave a hard time with the leaders. We take the clearly positive in this race: we have shown that we have a competitive car and we are able to lead the race. I am disappointed for Anthony: We are looking forward to see him back as quickly as possible. "

( information Toyota Racing)
    Last edited by Rob; 20th June 2012 at 19:36.

The 80th edition of Le Mans 24 Hours offers us three beautiful "three stories" for the trio winner, Audi and the French team Larbre Competition.

Twice for a trio. Already victorious in 2011 after having slender from pole position, Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoit Treluyer repeat this performance in 2012, and became the fourth crew of three drivers to win two consecutive years in Sarthe. They join Derek Bell Hans-Joachim Stuck Al Holbert-(victorious in 1986 and 1987), Frank Biela, Emanuele Pirro-Marco Werner (2006-2007), and also Frank Biela, Tom Kristensen, Emanuele Pirro, one trio to have won three consecutive wins (2000-2001-2002).

New Audi tripled. If the two Audi R18 e-tron quattro hybrid sign a historic double, do not forget the R18 ultra-Rockenfeller Mike Oliver Jarvis Marco Bonanomi, which allows the brand to win his fifth rings tripled to 24 Hours after the 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2010.

Larbre Competition, three wins in the U.S.. expert views of the different categories GT at Le Mans for nearly two decades, the team of Jack Leconge, already defending champion in LM GTE Am, offers herself as his third win of Category consecutive Sarthe, and always with an American car: after the Saleen S7-R in 2010, Larbre Competition is offered a second wins in a row with a Corvette.

Allan McNish says it will be impossible to replace Dindo Capello in the Audi line-up following the Italian's final Le Mans 24 Hours drive
    By Matt Beer Tuesday, June 19th 2012, 16:21 GMT

Allan McNish reckons Dindo Capello will prove to be 'irreplaceable' in Audi's #2 driver line-up as the Italian bowed out of his long Le Mans partnership with McNish and Tom Kristensen after last weekend's race.

The trio have driven together since the start of Audi's diesel LMP1 programme in 2006, winning the 2008 Le Mans 24 Hours together plus the '06, '09 and '12 Sebring 12 Hours.

Capello had announced that this year's Le Mans would be his last, leaving Audi to consider whether to slot in a new third driver alongside McNish and Kristensen, or whether to totally reshuffle its driver groupings.

McNish reckons it will be impossible to find someone who fits as well alongside him and Kristensen as Capello has, even though he admitted that he would just have to adapt.

"When it comes, it comes, and that's it," he said of the end of the trio's time together. "It's like when you change engineers after a long relationship, you build up a new formation.

"I think it will be impossible to replace all the qualities of Dindo, especially with Tom and I because it's just such a trusting relationship and such an open one. But that will have to come to pass. It's never been thought about or discussed."

He added: "To be honest, I don't think I've ever had a team-mate that I've had such a close relationship with on and off the circuit. We know each other so well. And his speed - you saw it on Sunday morning [at Le Mans] - is still pretty blinding, without doubt. And he's developed a few Scottish words..."

McNish expects Capello to retain an important role in Audi's programme.

"I don't think there's anyone in the paddock who would anything negative to say about Dindo. Nobody at all. And that's one of the nicest things you can say about a driver who's been in a competitive arena for such a long period of time," he said.

"His talent sometimes still astounds me. For sure, he'll still be around. I don't think he'll be lost and he certainly won't be forgotten."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100506

Nice words from McNish, will miss Dindo in this driving crew.

At the end of the 80th edition of Le Mans 24 Hours, the British team JRM has managed an ambitious bet: go all the way to her first. With more importantly, for the Honda HPD ARX-03a No. 22, the sixth place overall and second private competitors in the premier class of LM P1 prototypes involved in the Endurance World Championship by the FIA.

This is Australian David Brabham, winner in Sarthe in 2009, qu'échoit honor of starting. He immediately won a place in relation to his eleventh on the grid. Shortly after 17:00, he gave the wheel to Karun Chandhok. First Indian to contest the 24 Hours, it offers a quadruple stint as a "baptism of fire", causing the No. 22 Honda in eighth position. Then the Briton Peter Dumbreck took the track and begins a duel with the Lola-Toyota No. 13, with which it exchanges eighth place at the option of refueling. He climbs in seventh place thanks to the long stop of the Toyota 7. But he suffered a flat tire in the Dunlop curve and was forced to make an almost complete turn in slow motion. The Honda 22 was the ninth when Karun Chandhok back behind the wheel and goes in pursuit of Starworks Motorsport Honda to seventh place, but a clutch problem returns in the pits. Then he moved up from 12th to 9th place before giving way to Peter Dumbreck. It carries 47 rounds and bring the car in seventh place when he hands over to David Brabham. It consolidates the sixth position, before Karun Chandhok and Peter Dumbreck not finish the race.

David Brabham: "The team has only two races, and here he landed at Le Mans for the first time ever to finish in the top 6 without reliability problems. This is an extraordinary success. The car is very late arrival, the team worked very hard, even during this week of 24 hours to get everything ready. She really knew very short nights, and I'm really proud of everyone. "

Karun Chandhok: "Driving nine hours sleep and only four in thirty-six hours, it makes a hell of fatigue! It made ​​me understand the unique nature and special race. It was overall a very good race, and it's a special feeling of being the first Indian to finish the 24 Hours of Le Mans. And finish second private competitor is a similarly fantastic. "

Peter Dumbreck: "The last stint was nerve-wracking. I heard the slightest noise, the slightest vibration, wondering what could it be! This result meant so much for any team that I stayed focused in depth on offer, as she deserves. Finally we thought would be a miracle, then I think there's someone up there to thank ... "

James Rumsey (JRM Team Principal): "This is our third race, it is our first 24 hours, then finish, and finish on a good result, it's indescribable. David shared with us his invaluable experience, Peter has done a superb job overnight - especially when his puncture, because everything could go very wrong at that time. Karun and made ​​a show incredible regularity for his first visit to Le Mans. I'm really proud of everyone and I'm sure this is the start of something big. "

Nigel Stepney (Chief Engineer and Team Manager JRM): "I am in motor sport for much longer than I dare remember, but I have a feeling that is unlike anything I experienced before. There is a lot of luck at Le Mans. We certainly had, but the preparation done beforehand helped us to use a little force

THIRD STEP OF THE LE MANS PODIUM FOR ASTON MARTIN RACING

21/06/2012 - 18h38

After the failure of the AMR One project in 2011, Aston Martin Racing returned to its roots with the V8 Vantage, a GT which has proved a worthy successor to the DBR9 in the former LMGT1 category at Le Mans during the last decade. And it was with a podium finish that the British team celebrated its return to the highest level in GT racing.

In free practice, the Vantage in the sky blue and orange livery of Gulf Oil, set the fastest time of the session. In qualifying, Darren Turner, could not prevent Frederic Makowiecki and his Ferrari taking pole, putting the Aston second on the LMGTE Pro grid.

The Vantage driven by Stefan Mucke, Adrian Fernandez and Darren Turner, kept pace with the leaders in LMGTE Pro which, although it has fewer competitors than the Am class, it is no less competitive . The German driver put in a stunning lap in 3:54.928 after 20 hours of racing, nearly four tenths less than the pole position!

Unfortunately, the fate of the Vantage was sealed just before the four hour mark. Stefan Mücke, who had never before competed in the Le Mans 24 Hours with a GT, left the track at Indianapolis. The German brought the car back to the pits but the damage was slight and mechanics only had to change a door and bonnet. The repair only lasted ten minutes, but the price was the loss of second place for the British team.

David Richards, Chairman of Aston Martin : “Le Mans is always one of the most special events of the year and probably the world’s greatest motor race. To come here with a new GTE car and finish on the podium is a great accolade not just for the team, but also for the Aston Martin product and everybody that has supported us. Two of our drivers, Stefan Mücke and Adrian Fernandez, had never before competed in a GTE car here, although Darren Turner’s a Le Mans stalwart and has been with us since the beginning of the Aston Martin Racing programme. The team worked brilliantly together to help get Stefan and Adrian onto the pace. Adrian, in particular, acquitted himself very well given that this is his first season in a production-based racing car, so it was fitting that he should have the honour of driving the Vantage GTE over the finishing line. We only had one car competing in GTE Pro this weekend and that’s always an unnerving feeling because we know how easily the slightest mistake can trip you up – that makes for a very long 24-hour race! The Aston Martin Vantage GTE set the fastest GTE lap of the race and didn’t have any technical issues at all. We didn’t have quite the fuel economy of the winning car, but we know what we have to do to correct that for next year. Everyone in the team should be very proud of themselves"

(quote from team press release)

Lolston Martin, the Eurosport crew were willing them on at Le Mans but they sucked in the end mainly due to their economy.

I dread the day McL*ren have a car that's eligible for Le Mans

Lime Rock: Chase for ALMS Championships Resume
    Thirty-two entries for Round 4

BRASELTON, Ga. – As is normally tradition – except for one season since 2004 – the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón starts its summer swing at Lime Rock Park. This year’s American Le Mans Northeast Grand Prix will see 32 entries on the grid: 15 prototypes and 17 GT cars.

It’ll be close quarters for the fourth round of the ALMS championship. The 1.5-mile, seven-turn circuit at Lime Rock provides no room for error in a race featuring multiple classes with differing speeds and performance capabilities.

Dyson Racing’s Chris Dyson and Guy Smith in P1, and BMW Team RLL’s Joey Hand and Dirk Müller in GT are back to defend class wins from the 2011 season. They are part of a field that begins the run to ALMS championships with six races over the next 11 weeks.

Dyson Racing – based in nearby Poughkeepsie, N.Y. – has two Mazda-powered coupes against Muscle Milk Pickett Racing’s Honda Performance Development ARX-03a. The Muscle Milk duo of Klaus Graf and Lucas Luhr won the last two ALMS rounds and holds the P1 championship lead.

Eleven entries from seven teams representing five manufacturers are in the GT field. Corvette Racing’s Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner lead the drivers championship after winning the last two races. BMW Team RLL’s Hand and Müller are second in the title standings, and Flying Lizard Motorsports’ Jörg Bergmeister and Patrick Long were second last year at Lime Rock in their Porsche 911 GT3 RSR.

All six are among the GT competitors at Lime Rock Park.

In P2, Level 5 Motorsports hasn’t lost this season and brings two HPD ARX-03bs to Lime Rock for team owner Scott Tucker, Christophe Bouchut and Luis Diaz. Conquest Endurance – with a Morgan-Nissan – and Dempsey Racing’s Lola-Judd – featuring Hollywood star Patrick Dempsey in his second career ALMS race – round out the field.

Just like Level 5, CORE autosport is unbeaten in three Prototype Challenge races – two for Alex Popow at Sebring and Long Beach, while Colin Braun and team owner Jon Bennett won at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Both of CORE’s ORECA FLM09s are on the Lime Rock entry as are entries from Merchant Services Racing (two cars) and RSR Racing, Muscle Milk Pickett Racing, Performance Tech Motorsports and PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports.

Alex Job Racing leads the GT Challenge team championship as does AJR driver Cooper MacNeil. The gap in the team title chase is only five points between Alex Job and Green Hornet Racing, with MacNeil only one point ahead of Green Hornet drivers Damien Faulkner and Peter LeSaffre. Green Hornet is set to debut a second Porsche 911 GT3 Cup at Lime Rock.

The American Le Mans Northeast Grand Prix is Saturday, July 7. The two-hour, 45-minute race is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET from the 1.5-mile, 10-turn Lime Rock Park circuit. ESPN2 airs the race the same day at 4 p.m. ET. Live coverage is available starting at 2:45 p.m. ET on ESPN3.

The Series’ website offers additional content such as live in-car cameras, and timing and scoring for all users around the world. Viewers outside the U.S. can watch the Lime Rock round and all ALMS races live on ALMS.com.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    Lolston Martin, the Eurosport crew were willing them on at Le Mans but they sucked in the end mainly due to their economy.

I dread the day McL*ren have a car that's eligible for Le Mans
    Aston done well really, just liked too see them do well after the massive flop that was the AMR-One LMP1 last year. Think, Mclaren MP12-4C, was aiming to be at Le-Mans next year. If remember right.

ALMS Exploring Natural Gas for PC Class
    Agreement with Patrick Racing for Research and Development

BRASELTON, Ga. (June 20, 2012) – The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA), sanctioning body for the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón, announced that it has entered into an agreement with Jackson, Mich.-based Patrick Racing to research and develop natural gas as an alternative fuel for the Series’ Prototype Challenge cars.

Embracing natural gas as a safe and abundant fuel, IMSA/ALMS and Patrick Racing will identify development and testing opportunities for the source to power the Series’ PC cars, beginning as early as the 2013 season.

“We are the only racing series recognized to comply with the Green Racing protocols developed by the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and SAE International,” said IMSA and ALMS Chief Operating Officer Scot Elkins. “These organizations see Green Racing as a way to foster technology developments for tomorrow’s consumer production vehicles, enhance national energy security, and reduce carbon emissions. We view the addition of natural gas to the Series as a means of continuing our mission to be on the front line of automotive technology advancement, while providing unequalled entertainment for our fans.”

ALMS’ Prototype Challenge class features the ORECA FLM09, a race car with a minimum weight of 1,985 pounds and powered by a 430-horsepower Chevrolet LS3 engine. The FLM09 features a full carbon fiber chassis, carbon brakes and an Xtrac sequential gearbox with paddle shifting.

Green Racing is a major component of ALMS’ platform. Two Green Racing competitions are in play every time ALMS cars hit the track: the MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge aimed at ALMS teams and the GREEN CHALLENGE™ aimed at vehicle manufacturers. These challenges form a “race within a race” that build on the ALMS’ intense competition while measuring the factors that determine which car is winning the world’s most important race – the race to an energy-secure and economically vibrant future.

Both the Michelin Green X Challenge and the Green Challenge use a unique scoring system jointly developed by ALMS, DOE and EPA technical staff that rewards high performance on the race circuit, energy efficiency, and the smallest environmental impact.

Patrick Racing was founded by oil and natural gas exploration and racing pioneer U.E. “Pat” Patrick. He developed the concept that natural gas – an extremely abundant American energy source that is clean, safe and economical – would be an ideal fuel for racing engines. The company has also built and tested a natural gas-powered, turbo-charged, four-cylinder engine.

“We are excited to become a part of the world’s premier sports car racing series and eager to help spread this technology to a vibrant, visible and growing element of the racing world,” said Patrick, whose teams have three times visited the winner’s circle of the Indianapolis 500 and have claimed multiple IndyCar series championships.

“Natural gas is destined to become a major player in the transportation industry for everyday passenger vehicles, and not just fleet operations,” he added. “It is abundant, domestic, affordable and ecologically responsible. For more than a century, racing has been at the tip of the spear in developing new technology for the transportation industry. This is in line with and in the spirit of that history.”

Heading the natural gas technical development for ALMS’ Prototype Challenge cars will be Indianapolis 500 Hall of Fame and Motorsports Hall of Fame inductee Jim McGee. With more than 90 victories in his portfolio, McGee is universally respected as the one of the most successful team managers/chief mechanics in IndyCar racing history.

GUILLAUME MOREAU’S RECOVERY MOVES TO THE NEXT STAGE

Following his significant accident at the Le Mans Test Day on June 3 in which his twelfth vertebra was fractured, Guillaume Moreau has now taken the next step in his recovery by transferring from the Angers hospital to Arche, a rehabilitation centre in Le Mans.

One of the best centres to specialise in spinal injuries, Arche will provide Guillaume with a leading multi-disciplinary medical team.

Due to the success of both operations, which aimed to stabilise the fracture and relieve spinal compression, Guillaume has already recovered significant movement within his legs – an encouraging sign for the future. He is now entering a stage of rehabilitation where an initial three-month phase will be necessary for the specialists to fully evaluate his level of final recovery.

Guillaume Moreau: “I was cared for remarkably well by the Angers hospital over the course of more than two weeks. While I had little memory of the first operation, the second proved quite tough physically. I am happy to be taking the next step, one of rehabilitation, where I can be more active even though I still need some rest. I can already move my legs, which feels good, and walk aided by some support down one side. I now need to do some physio to stimulate and strengthen my muscles. I still lack some sensitivity in my right foot but with the work I am going to be doing here at Arche it should come back. I will have to learn to be patient, which is not my best quality!"

“I would like to thank all those who have shown their support and who are continuing to do so. It means a lot to me and also helps a great deal.”

Jacques Nicolet, Team Owner: “The entire team is delighted that Guillaume is moving up a step in his recovery. It was crucial for his family to prioritise the quality of his medical environment and Arche, a specialist centre well adapted to his case, was the choice taken. The competence of the medical teams that have looked after him since the start, as well as his own fighting spirit, are both amazing and worthy of admiration. It also allows us to be confident for the rest of his recovery. Guillaume has always held a special place within the team and the fact that he is now in Le Mans for this therapy period allows us to provide him with direct support. For us, he remains integral to the team, an element that without any doubt will be positive for his morale, along with all the messages of goodwill and sympathy he has received.”

From OAK Racing press release

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Aston done well really, just liked too see them do well after the massive flop that was the AMR-One LMP1 last year. Think, Mclaren MP12-4C, was aiming to be at Le-Mans next year. If remember right.
    They surely aren't going to be allowed to run with the twin turbo engine?

ALMS: Black Swan Pulls Plug On Lola P2 Program
    Team owner Tim Pappas aims for return to GT ranks after Lola parts shortage forces team to abandon P2 plans...
    John Dagys | Posted June 26, 2012 Chicago, IL

Black Swan Racing appears to be headed back to the GT ranks after parts supply issues with Lola has forced the Boston-based squad out of P2. (Photo: LAT)
    The ongoing financial crisis at Lola has claimed its first victim. With the uncertainty of the British constructor’s future and the dwindling supply of spare parts, Black Swan Racing has pulled the plug on its intended full-season American Le Mans Series program with the Lola B11/80 Honda.

Speaking to SPEED.com, team owner Tim Pappas confirmed that his two-time GTC championship-winning squad will forgo next weekend’s Northeast Grand Prix at Lime Rock Park, with only an “outside chance” of continuing in the cost-capped P2 ranks later this year.

“I really didn't have it in me to continue and beat my head against the wall looking to find parts,” Pappas said. “This thing, for me, is purely for fun. What's taken place with Lola and with Martin Birrane and the whole situation has removed any hint of fun. It's unfortunate.”

Instead of battling on the race track, it turned into a battle just to find replacement parts for Black Swan's 2011-spec Lola. While having finished on the podium in its P2 debut at Sebring, an early race incident knocked Pappas and co-driver Jeroen Bleekemolen out of the running at Long Beach.

The Boston-based team had borrowed parts from both Level 5 Motorsports and Dyson Racing to make the grid at Long Beach, only to suffer additional misfortune in the race.

While there was hope of upgrading to Lola’s 2012-spec aero kit for Lime Rock, that plan went awry when Lola entered financial administration in May, which saw massive layoffs at its Huntingdon, England workshop and a halt of manufacturer support and parts supply.

“The car was far from being perfect,” Pappas said. “We had a tremendous amount of support from Honda on that front, but we really needed the manufacturer [Lola] to step up.

“All of these changes essentially mean that if you own one of these cars, you're pretty much on your own for development. Until somebody steps up and steps into the shoes of Lola or a re-organization is completed, that's not a good place to be.”

With Pappas not wanting to race an open-top car on the grounds of safety, and Lola currently the only manufacturer that had offered a race-ready cost-capped P2 coupe, Black Swan is now evaluating a move back to the GT ranks, potentially for later this year or 2013.

After having dominated the GTC ranks for the last two years, Pappas is pushing for the adoption of a GTE-Am category in the ALMS, which would see one-year-old GT-spec machinery with a mandated Pro-Am driver lineup.

The class saw 13 teams in this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, including American entries from Flying Lizard Motorsports and Krohn Racing.

"Personally, GTE-Am would be the natural progression,” Pappas said. “It makes sense for me as a driver, from a safety standpoint and from a costs benefit standpoint. I think it would be awesome.

“Clearly, the GT field is the most relevant for the fans. That's where we'd like to be. I still think P2 with the Pro-Am component makes so much sense and is a really cool class. But at the moment, it's a big problem if you're not interested in driving an open car."

Once spares are found for the damage sustained at Long Beach, Pappas says his leased Lola-Honda will be returned to Level 5 Motorsports.

Frederic Lénart took this morning its Chief Executive Officer of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest. He will work closely with President Pierre Fillon.

Aged 46, was Frederic Lénart since 2007 CEO of Leroux & Lotz Technologies, equipment and services for energy and the environment.

Man of the industry, he worked in the company Ugine & Alz, belonging to Arcelor-Mittal, previously as Head of Controlling for the European business before becoming CEO Commercial and Central Europe, based in Poland.

Holds a Master Corporate finance and international capital markets, from the Institut d'Etudes Politiques in Paris, Frederic Lénart is also a great sports enthusiast, practitioner himself downhill skiing, sailing and cycling .

Frederic Lénart , CEO of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, " After many years in industry and project management, I am proud to put my professional skills to the Automobile Club de l'Ouest. "

Pierre Fillon , President of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest: " I am delighted to welcome Frederic Lénart, experienced man who, with senior staff, will implement the strategy of the steering committee of the Automobile Club of West. "

Ferrari 458, 3rd in GT in the 6 hours of Watkins Glen. Great historic track.
    Thats 6 podiums for the 458 team, they r leading the championship, but I think
    the powers that be adjusted restrictions on the 458, as the 1st few races, we were killen em.
    Great to see the 458's racing, they look fastastico!!!

JEAN TODT SPEAKS ABOUT THE FIA 'ACTION FOR ROAD SAFETY'

01/07/2012 - 15h29

FIA president since 2009, Jean Todt fully intends to fulfill two missions assigned to the Federation: the regulation and legislation of motorsport, but also the safety of motorists, particularly through Automobile Clubs. The man who led Peugeot Sport and Scuderia Ferrari to success has taken road safety head-on through the 'Action For Road Safety'.

Mr. President, what is the purpose of Action For Road Safety?
    "The goal is simple. There are 1.3 million deaths a year worldwide on roads, and 50 million injured. 90% of victims live in developing countries. The FIA brings together 132 countries with two main activities: legislation and regulation of motor sport and action on Automobile Safety including that which is done through the Automobile Clubs. Road safety is top priority. The United Nations has decided that the decade 2011-2020 is that of road safety, with a goal of saving 5 million lives in 10 years.

It is through education, support for world road infrastructure, but also improving the world's vehicle fleet. It is not easy to impose a helmet or seat belt regulation when 50% of the world lacks access to safe drinking water. We must inform governments and organizations like the World Bank, WHO and the Red Cross.”

What is the role of motor sport in this campaign?
    "Safety in motorsport has come a long way: in terms of circuits, cars and drivers' equipment, in rally, F1, touring cars and endurance racing. We need these advances to benefit everyday drivers. Race drivers are powerful ambassadors. We must better educate people to respect the rules. We also have partnerships with other international sports federations."

This subject is particularly dear to your heart. Why?
    "If you can not save even one human life, it must be done. I have had great success and pleasure in my work for many years and now I want to give back to society. "

The 24 Hours of Le Mans takes place in France, how is road safety in this country?
    "France has made sensational progress in 20 years, but we are not at the end of what could be achieved. Rules are enforced on major roads and highways, but many accidents occur on the secondary network because there are fewer controls and infrastructure is in a worse state. Many accidents could be avoided. "

On the occasion of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 50,000 gauges for measuring tyre wear were distributed to the public, in partnership with Michelin. A picture of officials and all the drivers was taken before the start of the race to highlight the motorsport personalities supporting the campaign; Action For Road Safety.

The 'Golden Rules' issued by the FIA ​​can be found on the FIA ​​website (link).

At a press conference in Munich, BMW's historic headquarters, the president of the German marque, Dr. Norbert Reithofer, announced the expansion of technology collaboration with Toyota, in the presence of Akio Toyoda, his Japanese counterpart. This new alliance comes after the Peugeot and General Motors announced their cooperation earlier this year.

After an initial agreement in December 2011, both companies had already entered into a partnership last March on research in the field of fuel cells and the supply of BMW diesel engines for the European market. Now the cooperation is extended to research on electric vehicles, reducing vehicle weight and the design of future vehicles, including a sports car.

Toyota, who has lost global leadership in 2011 in favour of General Motors, was a pioneer of hybrid cars with the Prius. The Japanese manufacturer has used knowledge and experience of hybridization to develop the new TS030 Hybrid, seen for the first time at the 2012 Le Mans 24 Hours, the third round of the FIA World Endurance Championship, in ​​which Toyota is registered as a manufacturer. Neither of the two cars crossed the finish line, the first having retired due to an accident and the second with an engine problem, but they have shown a clear potential with the highest top speed on the grid.

Dr. Norbert Reithoher: "We aim to further strengthen our competitive position in sustainable future technologies. We signed a Memorandum of Understanding to this effect today... One thing is certain: We aim to shape this iconic change as pioneers and a driving force. And we will do so in a responsible and sustainable manner. Together, we have a great opportunity to continue leading our industry through this transformation. That is why we are pooling our expertise."

( BMW press information).

Video: Lime Rock, the recovery
    02/07/201210:47 - Auto News - AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES

Three weeks near the big event of the 24 Hours, American Le Mans Series is the first series labeled "Le Mans" to get on with his 2012 season after six weeks of interruption, with his fourth race sailed on Saturday, July 7, to discover in the video above (English commentary). For more images, visit www.lemans-tv.com .

This recovery will take place in the green surroundings of the circuit at Lime Rock Park near Lakeville, in the State of Connecticut, the heart of New England. A path is very short (2.478 km) where the fastest run in less than a minute: for example, the French Pagenaud had the pole position in 46 seconds 971 in 2009. Traffic will be intense, without a moment's respite for competitors.

After two seasons chase for the title in 2010 with the Porsche RS Spyder in 2011 and then cut with the Lola-Aston Martin, Muscle Milk has the stables this year a Honda HPD ARX-03a. She has already won two consecutive wins in the previous rounds of Long Beach and Laguna Seca and intends to increase its lead over 2011 champion Dyson Racing (Lola-Mazda). Side GT, Corvette Racing has also imposed at the two California races, but remains under threat from BMW M3 Rahal-Letterman-Lanigan, who has only seven points behind the overall standings.

For those who live in the United States, ESPN will broadcast the three qualifying Friday, July 6th from 3:05 p.m. (East Coast time), then the race (lasting 2:45) 7 streaming on Saturday from 2:45 p.m. (East Coast time), with a delayed television broadcast on ESPN2 from 16:00 hours (East Coast). French viewers will benefit in turn by a summary on Motors TV on Sunday, 8 (to 12.15), on the night of Tuesday to Wednesday, 10 11 (at 5:00), Wednesday 11 (at 23:45), Thursday 12 (at 17:15 ) and Friday, July 13 (at 15:15).

Martin Brundle joins WEC for Silverstone round
    Monday, July 2nd 2012, 10:32 GMT

Former Le Mans 24 Hours winner Martin Brundle will team up with son Alex for a second time in top-flight sportscar racing this year at Silverstone next month.

The Brundles will contest the British round of the FIA World Endurance Championship on August 26 with the Greaves Zytek squad, which is fielding an additional car in the fourth round of the series.

They will share the Nissan-powered Zytek Z11SN with Lucas Ordonez, with whom they finished eighth in LMP2 at Le Mans last month.

Brundle Sr said: "I thoroughly enjoyed the whole Le Mans 24 Hours adventure, so when I was asked to race the Greaves Zytek-Nissan on the spectacularly fast Silverstone GP circuit with Alex and Lucas, the answer was simply 'yes'. I'm looking forward to another race finish, hopefully on the podium."

The British Greaves Motorsport is fielding the Brundles and Ordonez alongside its regular WEC entry for Elton Julian, Ricardo Gonzalez and Christian Zugel. Brundle Jr and Ordonez are contesting the European Le Mans Series with Greaves this season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100864

TWO CAR ENTRY FOR GREAVES MOTORSPORT AT 6 HOURS OF SILVERSTONE

10/07/2012 - 01h32

Greaves Motorsport are racing on two fronts in 2012; with the Zytek-Nissan No.1 (No.42 at Le Mans) in the European Le Mans Series and the No.41 car in the FIA World Endurance Championship. The first will be at Donington next weekend for the second round of the series, but will also be at the 6 Hours of Silverstone, the fourth round of the World Championship on the 26th of August. However, the driver line-up for each race will be slightly different.

For the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the British team ran two cars in the LMP2 category for the first time: the Nissan-Zytek No.41 with its usual World Championship drivers (Christian Zugel, Elton Julian and Ricardo Gonzalez) and the No.42 sister car in the hands of Brundle father and son and Lucas Ordenez, defector from Signatech-Nissan this year. The trio will also drive at Silverstone, Martin Brundle replaces on this occasion, as at Le Mans, Tom Kimber-Smith, who was victorious in La Sarthe in LMP2 with the American team Starworks Motorsport.

Tim Greaves, Team Principal: “I expect the #42 car to challenge for the the LM P2 win at Silverstone. In France I was impressed with the pace of all three drivers, perhaps some other teams treated Le Mans as an extended sprint race, we adopted a more conservative approach. We struggled at night with the throttle issues, costing us time. We could almost do 12 lap stints on the fuel but it was very marginal and rather than run out of petrol we usually came in on 11 laps. Perhaps we need a fuel usage gauge on the steering wheel to help the drivers reduce consumption over the course of a stint. It was possible to run the extra lap as both Christian and Alex managed it during their time behind the wheel. Considering the pace that Alex ran at, it was a considerable achievement to get the extra lap with a sufficient margin of comfort. In particular, Martin’s pace at Le Mans was a surprise, a very pleasant one, and his technical feedback and clarity of thought was very impressive. His de-briefs were exceptional, he demonstrated that he was a true professional throughout the period of the programme, we all learned some useful lessons from him. So working with the trio from #42 will be great, now we have two cars aiming at the top spot

(quote from Greaves Motorsport press release)

In anticipation of the next round of the Endurance World Championship by the FIA, to be held August 26 at Silverstone (Great Britain), the American team Krohn Racing will conduct testing with its Ferrari 458 Italia (LM GTE Am ) on the circuit of Snetterton on 24 and 25 July. Tracy Krohn and Nic Jönsson his two teammates Michele Rugolo and use it for the first time Michelin tires.

So far, Krohn Racing was mounted tires Dunlop Le Mans Intercontinental Cup in 2011 and in the first three rounds already played (Sebring, Spa-Francorchamps, Le Mans) World Championship Endurance of the FIA. For five races remaining, the team of Tracy Krohn will now be equipped with Michelin tires.

Tracy Krohn (driver and owner Italia Ferrari 458 No. 57 Krohn Racing, LM GTE Am): "I rode with Michelin at Le Mans and ALMS, their tires and their services are exemplary. I think we'll find a better speed and propel our Ferrari to victory in both race and in the Endurance World Championship by the FIA. "

Jeff Hazell (Krohn Racing Competition reponsable): "Changing supplier of tires during the season is something unusual. We had the victory with Dunlop in 2011, and we thank them for their contribution and for their assistance last year. "

Nic Jönsson (Ferrari 458 Italia 57, Krohn Racing, LM GTE Am): "The green Krohn Racing Ferrari has already enjoyed success with Michelin GT ALMS and Le Mans in 2007 and 2009. I can not wait to try them at Snetterton this month on the 458 Italia. "

(press information Krohn Racing)

AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES

Combined final for the ELMS and the ALMS!
    BY SERIES UPDATE ⋅ JULY 20, 2012
    The 2012 European Le Mans Series season will end in the United States! The entrants in this series have been invited to take part in the Petit Le Mans, one of the most prestigious races in America for a combined final.

Europe meets America! The entrants in the European Le Mans Series have been invited to a great final. It will take place in the Petit Le Mans (17-20 October), a race that will also mark the end of the American Le Mans Series

This decision was taken by the organizers of the European Le Mans Series together with the Automobile Club de l’Ouest in agreement with the American Le Mans Series as it will add more prestige to both championships.

Above and beyond the overall result of the Petit Le Mans, a specific classification will be drawn up for the entrants in both series, which will give the final results in the two championships and will designate the teams that will receive invitations to the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours. Please note that points scored in the ELMS Championship in the Petit Le Mans while count double.

In compensation for this final the ACO and the ELMS are cancelling the last two rounds on the European calendar Brno (Czech Republic) and Algarve (Portugal). Last weekend the second round of the European Le Mans Series held on the Donington circuit in England provided a thrilling high-quality battle in the LM P2 category (9 cars), but there was an evident lack of competitors in the LM PC (1 entrant) and LM GTE (2 entries in GTE Am and 1 in GTE Pro).

This situation is the result of the current economic climate and a very competitive GT market with numerous championships that have led to the dispersal of cars of this type in Europe.

The organizers of the European Le Mans Series are working flat out on the future of the series, which is one of the essential competitions for training teams and drivers for the top level of endurance racing, the FIA World Endurance Championship and the Le Mans 24 Hours. This work will result in a proposal for the coming seasons and will be announced in September.

The Petit Le Mans is the tenth and last round of the American Le Mans Series. It is a 1000-mile race (1609 km or 10 hours maximum if this distance isn’t reached), and it will take place on 17-20 October on the beautiful Road Atlanta circuit in Georgia (USA).