Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 WEC, ALMS&ELMS News

Quote Originally Posted by epiclyaddicted View Post
    Good to see the R18 Quattros up there in pace with the Ultras. Really want McNish to win it this year.

Also good to see Toyota showing good pace early on. Should be a great battle in LMP1 with the 4 Audis and the 2 Toyotas.

And GT will be ever closer as usual.

Two weeks, can't wait!
    The GTE will be flat out sprint racing for the whole race. Just hope Toyota can take the fight to Audi through out the race. But still think Audi has the experiance to hold them off to win it again. Audi own Le-Mans. Fingers crossed for Ferrari to bring home the GTE win, all the cars in GTE are over the race are pretty matched. Porsche is always the car that seem to just lug away and come out near top, they dont have the overall speed as the 458 and Vettes, but this isnt about out right speed, is handy but look what happened to Pugs couple years ago. Love to see Ferrari take all 3 tops steps at end of the race.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

A SOLID START FOR TOYOTA.

04/06/2012 - 23h32

The new Hybrid Toyota TS030 was impressive at its first official appearance with the fourth and fifth fastest times of the Test Day. Five drivers were present, Stephane Sarrazin was being rested to recover from a fall from a bicycle. Alexander Wurz, car #7 (entered in the FIA World Endurance Championship), and Sébastien Buemi, Car #8, were fastest although Anthony Davidson had led the way early in the morning session.

The performance of the #8 was all the more remarkable because the shake-down of the car was not until until the Friday before Test Day: So far, all the private test sessions have been conducted with one car. Both TS030 immediately showed a high level of performance and were very active in track, completing (respectively) 83 laps and 73 laps during the day. The main objective, was for the two drivers Sebastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima to do their 10 qualifying laps. A task which was completed by the end of the morning session.

Yoshiaki Kinoshita, Team President: “Today was a significant step for us because it was our first chance to see the car on track against our opposition at Le Mans. It’s hard to judge lap times but it certainly strengthens our racing spirit. Overall we are satisfied to complete a full day’s running with both cars without any significant issue; the only interruptions came with some minor bodywork damage. Unfortunately we only had five drivers with us following Stéphane’s accident. But he’s an experienced driver so we have no concerns; he’ll be on top form for the race I’m sure.”

Nicolas Lapierre, Driver car #7: "It was good to see TS030 Hybrid on track today and it was particularly interesting to try the hybrid system in the Mulsanne Straight. We did not encounter any major problems and we could test different tires, different settings and the aero and mechanical hybrid system. The accumulation of miles away was very important to us because it was our only opportunity to race at this track before the race week. So far, the team did a great job and we have achieved the objectives set. It is difficult to compare the lap times, however, the most important thing is that we are where we hoped to be. We can expect a very interesting race. "

Anthony Davidson, Driver car #8: “Our program went well and we achieved what we wanted to. Personally it was great to be back at Le Mans, especially with this new car and the hybrid technology. The car responded well and I felt we had pretty good speed which allowed us to set some competitive lap times. It is nice for all the team to finally get to Le Mans and see two cars in action; it’s a good reward for all the effort they have put in. The TS030 HYBRID is already pretty well balanced and gave me confidence to push early in the day so that’s a good platform for us heading into race week; first impressions are encouraging.”

(quotes from the release of Toyota Hybrid Racing)

Nissan Deltawing enjoys a successful test day
    04/06/201218h30

The revolutionary Nissan DeltaWing completed its first running on the famous 14km (8.5 mile) Circuit de la Sarthe at the 24 Hours of Le Mans Test Day. Invited to compete under the Automobile Club de l'Ouest’s “Garage 56” classification that showcases new and innovative technology, the Nissan DeltaWing completed 54 laps with drivers Michael Krumm, Satoshi Motoyama and Marino Franchitti at the wheel.

The team enjoyed a virtually trouble-free day and completed every lap but one on a single set of Michelin slick tires. A sole lap on wet tires during a brief rain shower was the only time the team switched tires all day.

Motoyama completed the fastest lap of the day amonst the three drivers at 3 minutes, 47.980 seconds. The Nissan DeltaWing technical, team led by concept originator Ben Bowlby, believe they are comfortably within reach of their target pace of 3 minutes, 45 seconds as requested by race officials.

With Motoyama not having raced at Le Mans since 1999 and Krumm since 2005, both drivers had to complete a mandatory 10 laps to qualify for the race. Both easily achieved that goal, Motoyama completing 19 laps and Krumm, 24. With Marino Franchitti handling most of the pre-event testing and development, the Scottish racer only handled 11 laps today – the team taking the opportunity to get his Japanese and German teammates more accustomed with the car.

The Scottish driver said at the end of the day, “We’ve certainly had a very productive day and it has been great to get so many laps under our belt. Other than the one lap I did on wets, we spent the entire day on a single set of Michelin tires which is quite amazing.

“The important thing for us today was to get Michael and Satoshi qualified for the race and we achieved that quite easily. I’m really pleased for everyone involved in putting the Nissan DeltaWing program together. There has been an enormous amount of work and it is very gratifying that today has gone well. I’ve really been looking forward to driving the car and it didn’t disappoint. We gathered a lot of data which we’ll examine over the next week and work on making the car even better.”

The unique Nissan DeltaWing features half the weight, half the horsepower and half the aerodynamic drag of a typical prototype and is expected to enjoy significantly lower tire and fuel consumption. Powered by a 300 horsepower 1.6 liter Nissan DIG-T turbocharged engine, the Nissan DeltaWing also features specially developed Michelin tires which are four inches wide at the front.

(From team press release)

Update on the condition of Guillaume Moreau
    04/06/201217h55 - Auto News - JOURNÉE TEST − 24 HEURES DU MANS

Sunday's Test Day for the 24 Hours of Le Mans had a less than positive outcome for one of Oak Racing's drivers in the No. 15 Oak Pescarolo Judd. The following is a statement on his condition from the Oak Racing team.

Following a severe accident at the exit of the "Karting Track" corner towards the end of Sunday morning’s session, Guillaume Moreau suffered a serious but partial injury to his spinal cord’s twelfth vertebra.

Guillaume has since undergone an emergency operation performed by Professor Olivier Lucas at the University Hospital of Angers’ Neurosurgery Department. It was crucial to quickly reduce pressure around the spinal cord following the fracture. Although the operation went well, it will be several months before his level of recovery can be fully assessed.

The thoughts of the entire team are with Guillaume and his family at this difficult time.

The ACO and all in the Le Mans paddock join Oak Racing in wishing Guillaume a speedy recovery.

Successful test for Sebastien Loeb at Le Mans
    04/06/201218h11 - Auto News - JOURNÉE TEST − 24 HEURES DU MANS

In addition to being part of the preparation for the 24 Hours of Le Mans invitees, the Test Day also allowed selected other teams to see how they measure up against the competition on the famous race track with a view to the future. Sébastien Loeb Racing, a competitor in the European Le Mans Series, seized the opportunity to make its first appearance at the temple of endurance racing.

Alongside regular in-house driver Nicolas Marroc (ELMS) and Jean Karl Vernay (Porsche Matmut Carrera Cup), team boss/driver Sébastien Loeb especially enjoyed the exercise, recording the fifth fastest LM P2 time (18th overall) at the controls of the ORECA 03. It’s a remarkable performance, taking into account the level of competition, as well as the atypical conditions and the youth of the team.This richly informative test served to wet the Alsacian team’s appetite for a return to the starting line up for the 2013 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Making his return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans track after six years of absence, Loeb slid into the seat of the Sébastien Loeb Racing ORECA 03 with joy. The eight-time World Rally Champion quickly got back up to speed.

"Initially, it’s not easy to get back into a prototype when you don’t regularly drive in the discipline," he said. "I completed one test session at Magny Cours at the beginning of the week and those were my first laps in an LM P2. I hadn’t run at Le Mans since 2006.

"It’s a bizarre sensation at the wheel…the apexes, I see them after I pass them! I had a bit of a rough time this morning but the good feelings returned and it’s really nice. Our goal was to go slowly, progressively, without taking big risks, while trying to improve the setup and especially gain confidence with the car. The results are good, it’s a success!"

Aston Martin Racing’s two-car 24 Hours of Le Mans campaign was boosted by a strong showing at the official pre-event test session. As many of the entrants descended upon the Circuit de la Sarthe for the only opportunity to test on the 8.5-mile circuit ahead of race week, Aston Martin Racing’s two V8-powered Vantage GTEs performed competitively and reliably.

Following two four-hour sessions on Sunday (3 June) the #97 Vantage GTE of factory drivers Darren Turner (GB), Stefan Mücke (D) and Adrian Fernandez (MX) finished the day fifth fastest in the GTE Pro category having topped the timesheets early in the first session. The #99 Vantage GTE, meanwhile – run in close partnership with long-standing partner team Young Driver AMR – ended the day as the fastest car in the GTE Am class having been driven by the all-Danish driver crew of Allan Simonsen, Christoffer Nygaard and Kristian Poulsen.

Throughout the test sessions, which were interrupted on occasion by red flag periods and brief rain showers, the Aston Martin Racing engineers and drivers worked through their car set-up programmes to dial the Vantage GTEs into the famous circuit, which is made up of public roads for the most part. Covering a total of 115 laps between them, both the #97 and #99 cars ran without any technical faults.
    The team also used the test to familiarise Mücke and Fernandez with the French circuit aboard the #97 Vantage GTE; despite their vast motor racing experience, neither had driven a production-derived GT car at Le Mans prior to the test.

Following a productive day, Turner said: “The test went really well. We haven’t had any reliability issues with the car at all and we’ve run through the programme that we had planned for the day. I’m really happy with where the car is at right now, but inevitably there’s still more work to be done. We’re still looking for a slightly stronger race balance for the car, but we know that we’ve got time before the race to find that. We made really good progress today with the set-up and we weren’t dragged down any counter-productive avenues.”

Team-mate Mücke added: “I haven’t driven a GT car at Le Mans before, so today was a good opportunity to learn. I got some clear laps early in the first session to see how a GT car performed around this track, and although it was quite different to a prototype, it was good fun. We had a very productive day. We learned a lot about the low-downforce configuration, which is different to the other circuits that we’ve been to before with the Vantage GTE. We weren’t looking much at lap times today because it was more important to get the car working well on this track. In 24 hours it can be hot and cold, wet and dry, so we focused on finding a set-up that is well-rounded for all conditions.”

Preparing for his fourth outing at Le Mans, Fernandez concluded: “We worked on making the car comfortable to drive, because that’s really important over a 24-hour race. The only problem I had is that I didn’t get enough consistent laps in a row. All of my runs were really one-lap runs because of rain, for example, so I just need more time in the car to get into a rhythm. I’m sure that come race weekend, though, I will be on the pace of Darren and Stefan.”

John Gaw, Team Principal at Aston Martin Racing, said: “The main thing is that we didn’t have any technical issues with either of our cars, despite completing 115 laps of this long circuit. We were focused on making the Vantage GTEs easy and safe to drive, but the fundamental pace of both cars has proven to be really strong.

"We weren’t chasing lap times today. We were instead working on set-up and I’m sure there is more speed to come from both cars. I think we’ll see that everyone will go faster in qualifying than they did in the test today, but I know that our engineers and drivers will continue to take steps forward in the days leading up to the race. Qualifying isn’t crucial in a 24-hour race, but there’s a lot of prestige associated with pole position so we’ll definitely be pushing hard with both cars.”

The #99 Vantage GTE is sure to be a big draw for the Danish fan contingent come race weekend. Having set the fastest time in the GTE Am class in both sessions, the all-Danish driver line-up of Simonsen, Nygaard and Poulsen – boasting a total of four Le Mans class podiums between them – is on course for a strong race performance.

Competing at Le Mans for the sixth time in his career, Simonsen was motivated by the showing throughout the test: “I’m really pleased to have been fastest in both sessions in the GTE Am class. I was able to go quicker than the pole position time for the class last year, which is promising. Our test programme went really well and the Vantage GTE is now feeling strong; there isn’t one single thing that stands out, it’s just a very good overall package. We can feel confident going into race week. I certainly think that we’ll be firmly in the battle for a class podium, if not more.”

Aston Martin Racing is making a return to the GT category at Le Mans for the first time since its back-to-back class victories in 2007 and 2008 with the V12-powered DBR9. The legendary GT1 racer will be back in action at La Sarthe as it participates in the Aston Martin Racing Festival of Le Mans in the hands of three customer teams. A total of 30 Aston Martin competition cars will compete in the exclusive support race, which runs for 45 minutes on the morning of the 24-hour endurance epic.

Michelin to a 15th consecutive victory?
    05/06/20122:00 p.m. - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

With 32 partner teams (including 12 of 13 LM P1), Michelin has every chance of winning the next edition of Le Mans 24 Hours (June 16 and 17).

The overwhelming numerical advantage available to Michelin in LM P1 (only the # 15 Pescarolo Oak's Dunlop shod) is not an excuse for the wait: "Each year we renew our range to 80%, says Serge Grisin , Head of Competition Auto. The objective of the test day was to define the settings of cars and tune them with the different tires offered. "

This year, one of the challenges Michelin is to give equal opportunity to Audi, whose R18 e-tron quattro has a torquey "diesel" and 4 wheel drive, and other competitors who rely on cars powered "gas."

The other challenge is to adapt Clermont manufacturing its products to the constraints of Nissan DeltaWing and its unique architecture. In view of the delivery of the machine to the test day, the bet seems able to be won.

Ralf Jüttner, Technical Director at Audi: "We respected the program. We took advantage of a dry track to double and triple relays with the same set of tires. "

Romain Dumas, driver of the Audi No. 3: "We tested two types of tires. The more one connects the towers, they are more efficient! And that's not all, the tires also allow us to compensate a bit of understeer. "

Anthony Davidson, driver of the Toyota 8: "I found that the tires had a very good development plan, even in the morning with temperatures quite cool. We did some long runs to validate the durability of tires. No problem. "

Marino Franchitti, driver of the Nissan DeltaWing # 0: "We completed 53 laps (722 miles) with the same set of tires, without loss of performance. "

Q & A: Brundle on Le Mans return
    By Gary Watkins Tuesday, June 5th 2012, 09:29 GMT

Martin Brundle returned to the scene of his Le Mans 24 Hours victory with Jaguar in 1990 at the official test day last weekend.

The former grand prix driver spoke to AUTOSPORT about driving the Circuit de la Sarthe for the first time since 2001 with son Alex Brundle and their chances of success in the Greaves Motorsport Zytek-Nissan Z11SN in the LMP2 class come the race on June 16/17.

Q. What were your feelings on returning to a venue that has been so important to your career?

Martin Brundle: Sitting in the drivers' briefing was a 'pinch-myself' moment - I didn't think I'd do that ever again. I always thought this was a great track. I've always championed Le Mans as a track that should feature in people's top three or top five circuits.

Q. What did it feel like getting back out there in the Greaves Zytek?

MB: Going out on the track got the juices flowing; I really enjoyed it. Alex and I had to be very careful to get our laps in. I think we were a bit over-cautious, but we had a job to do. We did our laps, so we are now in the race.

I found myself attacking Mulsanne Corner straight away and our car was great through the Porsche Curves, absolutely awesome. I had to get used to the new bit of track after the Dunlop Bridge, which wasn't here when I raced the Bentley. It's a bit like Becketts at Silverstone.

Q. How different was it to driving the Zytek at the other circuits at which you've tested, Paul Ricard and Snetterton?

MB: The scenery rushes past your peripheral vision just like in Formula 1 when you hadn't been in the car over the winter months or you were going very fast at a place like the old Hockenheim. Suddenly it all normalises, but you've got to have the belief that the car is going to stick in the high-speed corners. There is plenty of scope to have a big crash here and trash your car.

Q. How do you assess your chances in the race?

MB: The first day confirmed how competitive LMP2 will be. We are fine on pace, but there are a lot of good drivers in a lot of a good cars. P2 has changed out of sight. It will be harder to finish in the top three in the class than I perhaps first thought. It is seriously competitive. It kind of reminds me of Group C in the late 1980s. I look down the entry list and see more direct competitors than I did when I was driving with Jaguar.

Q. Do you think this will be a one-off return to Le Mans or could there be further appearances?

MB: I have no idea. This was driven by me wanting to do it with Alex and wanting to introduce him to sportscar racing. Those two boxes have been ticked, so we will have to see.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100138

Martin Brundle reckons 2012 Le Mans LMP2 field rivals Group C
    By Gary Watkins and Matt Beer Tuesday, June 5th 2012, 11:20 GMT

Le Mans returnee Martin Brundle reckons the LMP2 class in this year's 24-hour race rivals the halcyon days of Group C for competitiveness.

Brundle won Le Mans with Jaguar in 1990, and is returning to the event for the first time since 2001 to share Greaves Motorsport's LMP2 Zytek-Nissan with son Alex and Lucas Ordonez.

After participating in the Le Mans test day last weekend, Brundle told AUTOSPORT that he had been taken aback by the quality of the entry in the class.

"The first day confirmed how competitive LMP2 will be," he said. "We are fine on pace, but there are a lot of good drivers in a lot of a good cars.

"P2 has changed out of sight. It will be harder to finish in the top three in the class than I perhaps first thought. It is seriously competitive.

"It kind of reminds me of Group C in the late 1980s. I look down the entry list and see more direct competitors than I did when I was driving with Jaguar."

Brundle's car was eighth quickest on Sunday, two seconds down on the pacesetting OAK Morgan - although Brundle said he had been "a bit over-cautious" during the test

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100143

Good to see MB back at Le-Mans, esprcially with his son Alex. Wish them all the best.

Lemans is going to be some race..again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The GTE will be flat out sprint racing for the whole race. Just hope Toyota can take the fight to Audi through out the race. But still think Audi has the experiance to hold them off to win it again. Audi own Le-Mans. Fingers crossed for Ferrari to bring home the GTE win, all the cars in GTE are over the race are pretty matched. Porsche is always the car that seem to just lug away and come out near top, they dont have the overall speed as the 458 and Vettes, but this isnt about out right speed, is handy but look what happened to Pugs couple years ago. Love to see Ferrari take all 3 tops steps at end of the race.
    Yeah the Porsches always seem to have rock solid reliability, which is where the 458s occasionally miss out on. Hopefully they can last the whole race without any issues this year.

Also, fingers crossed for a clean race for Audi, no crashes and such like last year. If all 4 cars finish the race, they're guaranteed at least a 1-2 I'd say.

But let's see, should be fun!

The future is RED

Honestly, i see Audi locking out the top 4 spots at end of race. Not saying Toyota will fall away, i just think that Audi has won this so many times and knows what it takes to win the great race. Toyota have got good drivers and team, i do wish them luck really do. Porsche always seem pull it out at Le-Mans, the Vettes are going to be pushing all the way. By looks of the 458 reliabilty, it 110% better than last year (touch wood).

Go be alot of fun. Loking forward to this alot.

TEST DAY : FULL PROGRAMME FOR SIGNATECH-NISSAN

06/06/2012 - 10h40

Signatech-Nissan entered two cars for the first time at the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, the second round of the FIA World Endurance Championship​​. The French team did the same during the test day of the 24 Hours of Le Mans with two Oreca 03-Nissan: Nelson Panciatici and Jordan Tresson needed to do the mandatory 10 laps each for drivers new to La Sarthe, while the other two drivers worked on tyre wear and fuel consumption.

A tyre problem for the #26 car and a leaking radiator for car #23, (a lucky number of Nissan), but not enough to jeopardize the testing programme for the day and the team are confident, as indicated Philippe Sinault, team Principal: "We are pleased with this test day. We had a lot of work and we have fulfilled our roadmap. The testing programme was very specific in order to prepare the 24 Hours of Le Mans and especially to be there at the end of the race. The balance of the car looks good, we had no major problems and our drivers are very good. We have much work in the next few runs, this is why the team is on-site all week. The fight this year at Le Mans in LMP2 will be a big challenge and we must be ready! 20 cars are entered in this classl. We'll have to redouble our efforts and strategy to win the 80th edition this year. "

(quote from team press information)

Ferrari: an online auction for the Emilia Romagna
    07/06/20129:05 - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

Ferrari, eight copies of the 458 Italia are engaged in both categories LM GTE for 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2012, organizes an auction online to benefit the victims of earthquakes in the region Emilia Romagna.

Customers, collectors and other Ferraristes the world can participate in this sale on www.ferrari.com, which opens with a message from Luca di Montezemolo, President of the Prancing Horse brand: "I am sure we can rely on the generosity of relatives in the Ferrari world. They always kindly supported such initiative in the past. A devastating earthquake struck our region and those that we know. Together we want to help the families of the victims at this time in need. We auction unique and exclusive for all Ferrari enthusiasts and friends, I already thank from my heart. "

The main prize of the sale, or accessible via www.ferrari.com www.ferraristore.com, Evo is a 599XX, the extreme sports berlinetta Ferrari, unlicensed (Reserve price: € 1.35 million). This car was built exclusively for this occasion and offer unique amenities, such as a plaque signed by Luca di Montezemolo, the president of Ferrari, as well as the Scuderia drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa. They will deliver the car to its future proud owner next September, as part of the Italian Grand Prix Formula 1.

Other rarities from the world of Formula 1 are also available, starting with a V8 engine of the 2008 season, with which Ferrari won his sixteenth Championship World Constructors (reserve price: 50 000 euros). The avid collector can also bid on overalls, gloves and helmets autographed by Fernando Alonso, a nose of the F60 car, which allowed Ferrari to celebrate sixty years of consecutive presence in Formula 1, F1, or a combination of Giancarlo Fisichella, who will defend the colors of the Prancing Horse in the stable AF Corse in the 80th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans on 16 and 17 June

It is also possible to buy on www.ferraristore.com watches Scuderia, whose profits will go to auction total. This online sales will end on June 20

well if i win that euro lotto tomorrow, then i will for sure buy it.

LM P2: eight Oreca in search of victory
    07/06/201211:06 - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

The Oreca 03 present at the test day of Sunday, June 3 have honed their preparation for the 80th edition of Le Mans 24 Hours (June 16 and 17), with the ambition to win the victory of the LM P2 category, which had escaped last year in favor of the Nissan-Zytek Motorsport Greaves.

ADR-Delta discovered the Circuit 24 Hours in the Day test, the dynamics of a good start to the season. John Martin, Robbie Kerr and Tor Graves (No. 25), which were the best team in LM P2 World Championship Endurance of the FIA at the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps WEC approach this race with confidence. Day also very studious in Signatech-Nissan, which places its two cars near the Top 10. Advantage for Jordan Tresson, Franck Mailleux and Olivier Lombard (No. 23), in their wake with the second car of Pierre Ragues, Nelson Panciatici and Roman Rusinov (No. 26), less than a tenth. "We worked mainly over the life of a relay, " said Rusinov. " We are quite happy. We tested everything we wanted and validated for the race. We are confident. "

The test day was extremely informative for Murphy Prototypes (No. 48) and Jody Firth drivers Brendon Hartley and Warren Hughes. "We used this meeting to answer a lot of questions we asked ourselves in the optical switch, " says the latter. "The coating has been redone and this changes somewhat the behavior of the car. This test day is very important because it erases what kind of surprises. Overall, the tests were positive, although we have to improve a little our speed. The key is that the car we really inspires confidence. There are still some small details but we will validate it in practice and qualifying before the race. "

Planning equally applied to Thiriet by TDS Racing. Victorious over the 6 Hours of Castellet 2012 and declared candidates under European Le Mans Series, Thiriet and Mathias Beche (No. 46) are for the 24 Hours of Le Mans the reinforcement of the experienced Christophe Tinseau. At Ginion Boutsen Racing (No. 45), Bastien Brière, Jens Petersen and Shinji Nakano lived a day under the sign of labor. Some minor adjustments are still expected before departure. Race Performance (03 Oreca No. 40) suffered a runway excursion, which disrupted Following testing of the Swiss team. However, it can leverage its experience in Sarthe race, she finished sixth in 2010 and 2011.

European Le Mans Series competitor, Loeb Racing will not participate in the 24 Hours 2012, but came to discover the 13.629 km of the 24 Hours circuit. A first attempt turned into a master stroke with the best time of Oreca 03. Two Formula Le Mans were also in action and have continued to grow throughout the test day. The opportunity to discover a new land with a true Le Mans Prototype. Among the drivers on the track, Bruno and Denis Bazaud Caillon shared the wheel of the No. 90 with Fabien Barthez. The former goalkeeper of the France team football, World Cup winner in 1998, made ​​his weapons by signing more than respectable lap times: "It's just fantastic! Le Mans is a myth and I have the opportunity to meet today to close this myth. Level flight, it was necessary that I adapt a little. Formula Le Mans is not a GT but I really had fun! I am ready to start as soon as possible ... "The second Formula Le Mans, the young Steven Palette teamed with American Duncan Ende (LMPC class specialist in the American Le Mans Series) and Henri Richard. A first experiment resulted in a 36th place overall.

(According to press information Oreca Racing Car Manufacturer)

Toyota ready for Le Mans 24 Hours

By participating in the 80th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans on 16 and June 17 at the Circuit de la Sarthe, Toyota Racing will write a new chapter of hybrid technology in motorsport.

Aligned in the premier class of LM P1 prototypes, two TS030 Hybrid feature a revolutionary hybrid powertrain, the Toyota Hybrid System - Racing, developed specifically for the competition by the Japanese manufacturer. This commitment represents the culmination of an intense phase of preparation for the team, during which the new hybrid technology has been tested and refined in the context of one of the greatest challenges of motorsports, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Toyota opted for integration with a hybrid engine Deoso, on the back and placed in the transmission housing. Energy is recovered during braking and stored in a supercapacitor, installed in the cockpit. This provides additional power out of corners, for an amount up to 500 kilojoules between two braking zones.

While the hybrid powertrain has been produced by the competition department of Toyota Motor Corporation Higashifuji (Japan), the chassis of the TS030 Hybrid was developed and built by Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) in Cologne (Germany). TMG is also the seat of the team and provides ground crews. Since its first outing on Jan. 13, the TS030 Hybrid made 18 test days, mostly on the Paul Ricard (France), but also to Motorland Aragon (Spain), Magny-Cours (France) and Le Mans. Despite the challenges of optimizing a new technology such as hybrid, and the loss of a monocoque test, progress has been rapid and Toyota Racing arrives at Le Mans with the aim to continue this development while demonstrating the potential performance of the THS-R System.

The talented crew mix together the experience of Le Mans, the natural turn of speed, consistency and an important team. The No. 7 includes two-time winner of Le Mans 24 Hours (1996-2009) Alex Wurz (Austria), the winner of 12 Hours of Sebring 2011 Nicolas Lapierre (France) and former F1 driver Kazuki Nakajima (Japan). Aboard the No. 8, triple pole winner of Le Mans 24 Hours Stephane Sarrazin (France) is associated with Anthony Davidson (England), winning repeatedly in endurance and young F1 driver Sebastien Buemi
    (Switzerland).

The festivities start Wednesday, June 13 with free practice (4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.) and the first qualifying (10:00 p.m. to 0:00), followed by two qualifying sessions (7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and 22:00-midnight). After the warm-up Saturday morning (9h/9h45), the start of the race will be donated to 15h. During the traditional ceremonial start, the tricolor will be deployed by Takeshi Uchiyamada, Vice President of Toyota Motor Corporation, a pioneer of hybrid technology and the origin of the Toyota Prius.

Yoshiaki Kinoshita (TMG President): "This is a learning year for Toyota Racing, but we still set high standards: we want to prove the potential of our hybrid system and our Hybrid TS030. We know it is not easy to face opponents as experienced and we are in a learning phase, but the medium-term objective of this project is to win Le Mans. Therefore, we want to take a big step in that direction in 2012. Toyota is a pioneer of hybrid technology and Toyota Racing has logically from his vast experience and know-how. This is a new technology in motorsport so there are many things to learn and develop. However, Hisatake Murata and his entire project team hybrid, and the division responsible for the development of hybrid vehicles from Toyota Motor Corporation, have worked on these systems for several years in competition. This gives us a unique expertise we hope to demonstrate. In parallel, TMG has developed the chassis of the TS030 Hybrid, led by a team led by John Litjens. Each has contributed its know-how, expertise in aerodynamics, in the simulation or systems for the construction of this car and we are proud of the result. "

Alex Wurz (pilot Toyota TS030 # 7 Hybrid, Toyota Racing LM P1): "I've always had a fascination with sports-prototypes and I'm a fan of Le Mans since my childhood. Every year when you arrive, you feel like Steve McQueen in the movie "Le Mans". This is a special race, very "heroic". The race at Le Mans in recent years has become very competitive. If you look at the results, you fight to the last hundredth of a second in each round as it happens after 24 hours, the cars are held in a few seconds. If you report this to the overall 24 hours, you understand how the level of the competition is up! We have to face stiff competition from teams who have grown up in this universe and we are modest enough to say we do not expect to win Le Mans this year. But obviously, we will attack like crazy to get the best result with our new technology, which is part of the future. "

Nicolas Lapierre (pilot Toyota TS030 # 7 Hybrid, Toyota Racing LM P1): "Le Mans is one of the most exciting events in the world, either as driver or as the French. There are so many fans here! This year promises to be really interesting and exciting with the arrival of a new technology like hybrid. I am very happy to be with teammates such as Alex and Kazuki. Our collaboration is good. I already knew a little earlier, but work closely with them is a real pleasure. Also, I am proud to be here with Toyota, a fantastic team. Since the early tests in January, I know better and better all the team members and we all develop our working method. I appreciate how Toyota Racing works. "

Kazuki Nakajima (pilot Toyota TS030 # 7 Hybrid, Toyota Racing LM P1): "Already during the test day, I could feel that the 24 Hours of Le Mans is very special. There are lots of spectators and journalists. Obviously, there will be even more people for the weekend of racing. Personally, it will be exciting to participate in such an event for the first time. I'm sure you can do a good performance when you have fun and, actually, I'm enjoying this track, both with the team with my teammates. All we will do everything for the best performance possible. The party consisted of Porsche curves is my favorite, although I always want to know how I can get quickly into the chicane and how far I can climb over the curbs. "

Stephane Sarrazin (Pilot Hybrid Toyota TS030 # 8, Toyota Racing LM P1): "It's a race that always makes me dream as much. I'm on the podium and in some years, I was en route to victory. Le Mans has decided otherwise. This is probably the only event where you feel it decides the winner. We can prepare everything as well as possible, it is necessary for success in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Everything has to sit well-Day All elements must be present: the team and the car must be perfect. Whatever the joys and disappointments that I have known here, Le Mans retains its magic. There is a special meaning for certain things. I am proud to have been on pole three times at Le Mans. Everyone says that this is not the priority to be on pole for a 24-hour ordeal, but it's a unique feeling and something that boosts the motivation of the entire team. "

Anthony Davidson (Pilot Hybrid Toyota TS030 # 8, Toyota Racing LM P1): "For a driver, as a team for that matter, Le Mans is a unique challenge. During the race, we must find the right rhythm in the night and manage the traffic. Le Mans is difficult physically but also mentally, by the pressure and the immensity of the event. To be victorious, we must be on top, simply. The test day put us in a dynamic rather positive: we must continue on this path to prepare for the race. I am a positive and realistic. I hope we have a car capable of being in front, but I also know that this is our first year and we have a lot to learn. "

Sebastien Buemi (Pilot Hybrid Toyota TS030 # 8, Toyota Racing LM P1): "I am looking forward to the start of this legendary race, impatience even stronger after the test day. I discovered this track and I find it beautiful. I love the last part, with the Porsche curves and also curves Ford. There is also an emotional side: my grandfather has already participated in this event and it is a pride to succeed him. My family is also very attached to Toyota, so this is special. My debut during the test day were positive and I now look forward to the atmosphere throughout the week, weighing in with the city center, the skills of night, the parade ... I expect one week very interesting: I am eager to succeed my first Le Mans, especially with the new hybrid technology developed by Toyota. "

(According to press information Toyota Motorsport GmbH)

Sunday, June 10 and Monday, June 11 will take place on "weighing" in the city center of Le Mans. Detailed explanations of these control operations of competitors, organized for the first time Republic Square.

Elsewhere called'' checks'' technical and administrative, the weighing has retained its traditional name in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. But during these two days, the dozen commissioners at work do more than weigh cars.
    Technical operations are divided into three positions.
    First pass on a perfectly horizontal platform and equipped with lasers for measurement of the main dimensions of the car (width, length, overhang, wheelbase, height of the fin, drift, size cutouts above the wings ...) but also scales for weighing.

When switching to the second position, it is placed on a lift so that officials under his control (size of front and rear diffusers, size and shape of the board which ensures a minimum ground clearance and greater stability during skids, etc..).

Finally, at last, the body is partially disassembled for inspection of security elements (fire extinguishers, belts, main circuit breaker ...), fuel tank, the oil vapor recovery engine ... It is also here that are verified good provisions and stickers as timekeepers control the operation of the transponder and lights indicating the position of cars per class and the related elements. Finally, the data acquisition unit that is in each car is thoroughly tested.
    In total, technical operations last fifty minutes by car.
    Meanwhile, the pilots - in combination - to pass administrative checks which are controlled licenses, helmets, wetsuits and all their equipment needs to be to FIA standards. They are also weighed in order to deduct the weight of the car during checks then during qualifying. They are then caught by different communication operations (individual pictures, team photos with the cars, press interviews, ...) but also the general public as the much anticipated book signing.

Held this year on the Place de la Republique du Mans, the weighing should take place in a warmer, in the middle of a mini exhibition village, not far from the sidewalk cafes. Furthermore the tram stop at this point will facilitate the comings and goings of the spectators.

Like the previous two years, the weighing takes place on Sunday and Monday, launching the great week of Le Mans 24 Hours. It will begin Sunday, June 10, 14 h 30 to 19 hours and then will continue Monday, June 11, 10 heures to 18 hours.

Sunday, it will open by the passage of the Oreca 03-Nissan # 45 team Ginion Boutsen Racing. The headliners this Sunday afternoon will be the stables Team Pescarolo, Audi, Larbre Competition, OAK Racing ... The others are expected Monday, the day opened by Porsche 911 RSR (997) No. 55 of JWA Avila and will conclude by both TS 030 Toyota Hybrid.

New
    Organized tours

Note that the general enclosure of engineering is open to the public through guided tours in groups of ten people. They are free to members of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest and will cost 10 euros for non-members. The entitlements for these visits are available at Information Point opposite the Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
    It is also possible to join in weighing the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, the counter adjacent to the ACO Info Poin

7/06/2012 17:22
    24 Hours of Le Mans 2012: The program
    A few days before the 80th edition of Le Mans 24 Hours, here's a quick reminder about the program "24 Hours Week" that looks rich

Beginning of the festivities Sunday (June 10) with the first part of the weighing (Scrutineering) Place de la Republique, Le Mans. The Boutsen Racing Ginion open the show at 14:30, followed by Gulf Middle East, and ADR-Delta Audi Sport Team Joest at 15.30. Do not miss also the Pescarolo Team (17:30) followed by OAK Racing in the late afternoon.

The weighing will resume the next morning at 10:00 with, among others, and Luxury Racing AF Corse in the morning, then Rebellion Racing, Aston Martin Racing, Signatech-Nissan, Strakka Racing, Corvette Racing in the afternoon. The Nissan-DeltaWing will present to the public at 16:30 before the Toyota Racing team which will close the weighing 17.00.

Tuesday, June 12, towards the 24 Hours circuit briefings with team managers and drivers in the morning and various press conferences for the media. The public is expected from 17:00 for the autograph session.

Wednesday, the hard work begins with the free practice session from 16:00 to 20:00. Between 20:30 and 21:30, the Aston Martin invited as part of the Aston Martin Le Mans Festival will perform their free trials.

Back on the track of the cars entered the 24 Hours of Le Mans to 22.00 for the first qualifying session until midnight. If the weather is uncertain, the pole can be played on Wednesday evening. Meanwhile, Thom and Gerald de Palmas will be performing on the stage set up near the Dunlop Bridge (from 20:00).

Thursday, June 14, the Group C qualifiers will make their between 16:00 and 17:00, followed by qualifying for the Aston Martin Le Mans Festival. The second qualifying practice session of the Le Mans 24 Hours will take place between 19:00 and 21:00 and between 22:00 and midnight for the third and last. Following concerts with Pony Pony Run Run and The Dandies.

Friday, June 15, the pit lane will remain open all day (pit-walk) from 10:00. An interesting ride since the teams are hard at work preparing the cars for the race.

In the evening, the traditional parade will take place from 17:30 to 19:30 in the streets of Le Mans on a new journey: starting Place de la Republique. 200,000 spectators are expected for this unique parade where crews parade in cars "vintage". Do not miss the bus with the banda Michelin: atmosphere! The atmosphere is likely to extend Republic Square with the matches of Euro 2012 Ukraine / France and Sweden / England in the nearby bars ...

Saturday, June 16, the warm-up will begin at 9:00 before the race and then Group C Aston Martin Le Mans Festival. At 15:00, the start of the 80 th edition of the Le Mans 24 Hours will be given by Mr. Takeshi Uchiyamada, Vice President and Director of Toyota Motor Corporation. During the race, entertainment are sure the stands with the village of 24 hours, the Big Wheel and concerts (Shaka Ponk, Kill The Young and Ekho Saturday night).

Good week of 24 hours to one and all!

http://www.lemanslive.com/fr/2012/06...the-timetable/

Franck Montagny replaces Guillaume Moreau for Le Mans 24 Hours
    By Pablo Elizalde Friday, June 8th 2012, 08:57 GMT

Franck Montagny will compete in the Le Mans 24 Hours after being announced as the replacement for the injured Guillaume Moreau.

Moreau will miss the event after being injured in the accident he suffered at the Le Mans Test Day last Sunday.

The OAK Racing driver needed surgery to relieve the pressure on his spinal cord following the crash, and he has regained feeling in his legs since. He will not be ready for the race, however.

Montagny will take his seat in the Pescarolo-Judd LMP1 car, driving alongside Bertrand Baguette and Dominik Kraihamer.

Montagny, who was left without a drive for Le Mans after Peugeot withdrew from the sport, last raced in the American Le Mans Series at Laguna Seca in May.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100182

Romain Grosjean, a gesture of friendship for Moreau
    08/06/20126:43 p.m. - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

Given the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2010 driving a Ford GT and now Lotus in Formula 1 driver, Romain Grosjean will support his longtime friend William Moreau, rugged driving his Oak Pescarolo on June 3 at the Test Day 24 Hours of Le Mans. In this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix, the French-Swiss driver will sport the logo on his helmet by Guillaume Moreau. A nice gesture of friendship is one of many expressions of sympathy that the Oak Racing driver has already received in recent days.

Audi's hybrid history?
    09/06/20123:19 p.m. - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

After the best performance signed by Allan McNish at the wheel of the new Audi R18 e-tron quattro, Audi aims a historic performance for the 80th edition of the Le Mans 24 Hours (June 17 & 16): the first victory of a prototype hybrid Sarthe. But expects a good fight with the Toyota Hybrid TS030.

Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): "At Le Mans, we will run with a completely new training compared to last year. For the first time, we committed four cars of two different designs. We will meet for Toyota as part of a race will be another first, and we expect that their cars are our main rivals. "

Marcel Fässler (Audi R18 e-tron quattro No 1, winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2011): "It's nice to come to Le Mans in knowing that there is already won. And this is a very special honor as to drive the car number 1. We are very motivated and want to show that hybrid technology can be immediately shot in for the win. "

Andre Lotterer (Audi R18 e-tron quattro No 1, winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2011): "Of course it is nice to have the number 1. But we must put that aside for a moment. We must first find a rhythm and tackle this race with respect. After, we'll see what position you are. "

Benoit Treluyer (Audi R18 e-tron quattro No 1, winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2011): "I think it will be a great race and a real challenge. After winning last year, we know that we can do and how. But a race like this is an equation that has many unknowns. "

Dindo Capello (Audi R18 e-tron quattro No. 2, three wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans): "In 1999, I flew for the first time an Audi 24 Hours of Le Mans. Every year, I was able to experience the major technological advances of Audi. This is a great honor. "

Tom Kristensen (Audi R18 e-tron quattro 2, record holder of the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans with eight successes): "The 80th edition of Le Mans 24 Hours is a wonderful anniversary and on this occasion, Audi has once again a pioneering technology. To mention just some: e-tron quattro, LED headlights, V6 turbo diesel, digital mirror ... Our goal is simple: take them around the longest possible distance in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. "

Allan McNish (Audi R18 e-tron quattro No. 2, two wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans): "The team brought two different cars that are both capable of winning. Aprsè have made ​​the pole position at Spa-Francorchamps, we would love to win the R18 e-tron quattro for the first time. It will not be easy given the competition, everyone is perfectly prepared. "

Romain Dumas (Audi R18 Ultra 3, a victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours): "I run this year with two new teammates. We have already demonstrated our ability to Spa-Francorchamps. The race is open, which means a lot of excitement for fans and for us. "

Loïc Duval (Audi R18 ultra No. 3): "I've never been on the podium at Le Mans, but I intend to catch this year. At Le Mans, it will also score big points for Audi in the Endurance World Championship by the FIA. Until now, the season went well. "

Marc Gene (Audi R18 Ultra 3, a victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours): "I am proud to have the chance to be part of a team as successful as Audi and drive a car as good as the R18 Ultra. I would love to fight for victory, even though it will not be easy. But with the help of Roman and Loic, we have good chances of that happening. "

Marco Bonanomi (Audi R18 ultra No. 4, first in the 24 Hours of Le Mans): "While I was at Le Mans as a driver Reserve Audi, I have great memories of last year. It's huge, 24 hours non-stop for everyone. I hope I can pass on the track everything I've learned the track, and we will ride as well as Spa-Francorchamps. "

Oliver Jarvis (Audi R18 ultra No. 4): "It's been six months since I'm training and I am preparing for this race. Even during the test day you feel a special atmosphere. I'm incredibly excited about this race week and the idea of sitting back behind the wheel of the car. "

Mike Rockenfeller (Audi R18 ultra No. 4, a victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours): "Of the three drivers of our car I'm the one with the most experience at Le Mans prototypes, but my teammates have raced and won over the world. We are young and already experienced. I hope we have a good race. "

(According to press information Audi Motorsport)

Clarifications from the Automobile Club de l’Ouest concerning the LM GTE and LM GTC categories
    10/06/201214h03 - Auto News

Following the announcement made on 20th April 2012 by the promoter of the 2012 European Le Mans Series (ELMS) confirming the eligibility of GT3 cars in the GTC category during the ELMS events, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest would like to make the following clarifications.

LM GTE’s future

- The LM GTE category (Le Mans Grand Touring Endurance) derived from the former GT2 regulations is still the benchmark category in Le Mans-type long-distance races complying with the ACO and FIA WEC regulations.
    - All the manufacturers entered in, or planning to enter, the GT category have all clearly expressed their wish to keep LM GTE as the unique technical regulations for the Le Mans 24 Hours and the FIA World Endurance Championship. The ACO shares this point of view and has supplied them with solid guarantees concerning the future of LM GTE.
    - The ACO is working on a long-term development plan for LM GTE in close collaboration with the FIA. There is no other current project to open up the Le Mans 24 Hours and the FIA World Endurance Championship to any categories other than LM P1, LM P2 and LM GTE.

The arrival of GT3 cars in the GTC category

- The GTC category was created first of all in the American Le Mans Series to allow new teams with a limited budget to take their first steps in endurance racing. It was based essentially on adapting cars from single-make championships like the Porsche Carrera Cup and the Ferrari Challenge to long-distance racing, and the GTC technical regulations are of real strategic interest for continental championships like the European Le Mans Series, which is a launch pad for entrants who wish to compete in endurance events.
    - As a comparison, GTC is the equivalent of the Formula Le Mans category (LM PC) in prototypes.
    - The ACO and Peter Auto decided to enlarge the field of eligibility in the GTC category by opening it up to GT3 cars to cope with a provisional situation and guarantee a big enough field for the European Le Mans Series.
    - Several championships exist for GT3 cars. The ACO is delighted with their success and has no intention of competing against the promoters who have chosen to invest in this category.
    - The list of measures to bring this project to a successful conclusion has been drawn up as follows:

Only cars homologated by the FIA in GT3 are eligible.
    Only cars whose performance can be modified to make them slower than cars in LM GTE are eligible (technical specification available in the near future).
    In no case is there any question of inciting entrants already competing in other championships to withdraw and enter the ELMS. It’s quite the opposite in fact as the aim is to offer teams the possibility of writing off their investments and running costs in complementary events.

The ACO would like to point out to entrants and manufacturers that only their entry in the LM GTE category offers the perspective of a future in Le Mans-type endurance racing, with the possibility of competing in the FIA World Endurance Championship and the Le Mans 24 Hours. The GTC (including GT3 category cars) gives entrants the opportunity to race in continental championships like the European Le Mans Series with their current cars and limited budgets in the same spirit as Formula Le Mans for sports prototypes.
    These two categories, GTC and Formula Le Mans, are entry level competitions that do not exist outside the context of continental championships like the European Le Mans Series, the American Le Mans Series and the Asian Le Mans Series (currently being evaluated).

First GTE Ferrari next car up
    10/06/201216h20 - Auto News - 24 HEURES DU MANS 2012

The GTE Pro#66 JMW Ferrari 458 Italia will be scrutineered at 16.50, driven by Britons Jonny Cocker and James Walker and Kiwi "amateur" driver Roger Wills.

JMW has proved that there is life after Rob Bell their long time team leader, who is now a McLaren GT test and development contracted driver by wining their class at the ELMS round at Le Castellet.

Team owner/manager Jim McWhirter retains Jersey boy James Walker with the team and he is joined by a very welcome returnee in Jonny Cocker, Roger Wills is the only non" Pro-driver" in GTE Pro if that makes any sense! He is a top historic racer and latterly a GTE Am and LMPC runner.

The car carries the Dunlop "Art Car" colour scheme which is very striking and has spent the last week at Michelotto installing the latest paddle-shift system.

Jonny Cocker and Ferrari, life in yellow and black
    10/06/20125:06 p.m. - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

Spectators scrutineering 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2012 were able to discover the special decoration of the Ferrari F430 GT of the British team JMW Motorsport (No. 66, LM GTE Pro), which has again been the subject of a design competition. A livery that attracted one of its drivers, Jonny Cocker, who shares the driving with James Walker and Roger Wills.

Jonny Cocker: 'I think it's a striking design, I discovered for the first time during the test day of June 3 and when it came to life on the circuit, I find it fantastic. We met the winner of the design competition, who was with us in the booth, and he was very happy. This is a great idea, because every year this contest to discover a young designer, who is also the possibility of coming on the 24 Hours. I think this award highlights our car lot. For the memories I have, I think my favorite decoration is that of the Toyota GT-One, whether the 1998 or 1999. They really had the look, and I find it a pity

Administrative checks
    10/06/20125:30 p.m. - Auto News - LE MANS 24 HOURS 2012

When weighing, together with the technical checks are held the administrative checks. Of course, these concern only the driver and take place as follows:

The first step is the most of all administrative. Indeed, inspectors examine the pilot's license and medical certificate which is either on license or on an attachment.
    The second act includes checking headset, Hans, and the combination of fireproof underwear. Everything must be to FIA standards.
    Then the driver is weighed. This is a very important operation because during checks on the car during qualifying, it must be weighed and then we derive the weight of dressed driver (pilot, helmet, Hans, coveralls, footwear, etc ...).
    The last phase involves the official photo. It is mandatory for each driver with his helmet, each car and each team.
    Administrative checks are fast enough, especially since the majority of drivers are already running in the World Endurance Championship and they are systematically monitored throughout the year.

David Bristol

http://www.lemans.org/fr/courses/24-...ives_7398.html