Thread: How does a Formula 1 engine Rev?

How does a Formula 1 engine Rev?

i was watching some onboard laps from 2010 and in that there are 2 Rev counter lines.One is red and the other is blue.and when the car decelerates sometimes only the blue meter shows a fluctuation and sometimes both counter fluctuate.can anyone explain

The blue fluctuation happens on downshifts because the wheels will accelerate (rev higher) the engine when dropping into a lower gear.

You will have to show the video for me to be sure though.
    Last edited by Jacquesvw; 24th January 2012 at 06:43.

F1-rpm-revs.png

The blue bar is showing actual revs of the engine in realtime. The red outer bar is indicating the maximum revs over a short period of time. I may be wrong, but I believe the lag on the max rev bar is intentional to compensate for the high speed shifts. I've watched a few of the videos that describe what you mention and it appears that a gear needs to be selected for at least 1 second for the max rev indicator to reset. For example, down a high speed straight in 6th, both the blue and red are near 18,000rpm. Approaching the corner, you see the 'BRAKE' indicator light up as the 'THROTTLE' indicator goes dim as the pilot downshifts through the gears. Once the pilot stays in a given gear long enough, the red max rpm bar resets. It's more of a novelty for us spectators to see, but engineers can use that telemetry to see max revs as well as max rev %'s over the course of the race.

Oh, so he was talking about the TV graphic? I thought he was referring to something on the car.

I think you were right Jacques. I just posted the image so others could post their take on it.

here is a link to alonso's lap of monza in 2010.check it out and see how the blue rev meter and red rev meter behave under braking and accleration
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsXDDtRsKSc

@rlevan thanks for the explanation.