Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari launch - 3rd February 2012 - All news and pics in here

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Ooooh they are much worse than that.
    They are a very important part of our winning team. They support us...

What we see is an EXTREME interpretation of the rules and Ferrari have really designed something that special. The minor nose step aside, this race car is very extreme in all aspects. One should understand to the extent that they have gone to address so many short comings of the past few race cars and know that you may be seeing the most advanced race car on the track. When you look at this car, you see that everything about this car is different. There seems to be much tighter fitting body panels and Aero Elements are well defined.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Interviews here:

I wish they'd kept the Italian flag at the back rather than you-know-who's logo.
    Wasn't the flag placed on the back wing last year purely as a tribute to Italy's 150 years of Unification? That's what I understood anyway.
    "Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."

It's not ugly! I like it... sorry...

I just noticed, that the pillars holding the front wing are painted with red color. In my opinion, that's making the nose to look worse than it actually is.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Car is nice looking apart from the nose. The nose is the fault of the FIA. They reduced the height of the nose without reducing the height of the front bulkhead. Therefore teams will keep a high bulkhead, whilst having a lower (but still raised nose), hence the step. Airflow to the splitter is crucial, so teams will try to keep the bulkhead and nose as high as possible. Mclaren lowered their bulkhead, hence the nose looks "normal".

Interesting rear solution, but im a little worried about the sidepods - they look a bit bulky and high. The rear is nice a tight though.

Schumacher's and Raikkonen's Ferraris were always elegant yet still aggressive.

This just cries of desperation.

I can't believe they followed the rules for the nose down to the T. Just says innovation thinking is still lacking in Ferrari these days.

To understand why Ferrari chose to do that with the nose, i'd recommend watching this video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16864721

Gary Anderson and Jake are talking about the McLaren launch, Gary is covering the max nose height, and he explains why some teams are doing this with their noses... it's Redbull inspired ofcourse.

Fast Forward to about 2:25 and watch from there and you'll see what he says.. he pretty much sketches Ferraris nose and explains why they've done that.
    Last edited by Pizza; 3rd February 2012 at 09:41.

One sexy looking machine from the side shot,

Hope there correct winning from the start of season....

Racing is life and life is a risk - Michael schumacher

It reminds of a Lego car but I kind of like it. lol
    FORZA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    It reminds of a Lego car but I kind of like it. lol
    that was my first impression

Quote Originally Posted by Omegablue View Post

I can't believe they followed the rules for the nose down to the T. Just says innovation thinking is still lacking in Ferrari these days.

Yes we never had a chin wing with Schumacher right....Desperation? the car has not even turned a wheel on track yet here you are slating it?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Sempre_Ferrari View Post
    Wasn't the flag placed on the back wing last year purely as a tribute to Italy's 150 years of Unification? That's what I understood anyway.
    Yep that was the intention but it would have been nice to have continued that trend. It looked fantastic.
    Forza Jules

Kimbot alert
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
    To understand why Ferrari chose to do that with the nose, i'd recommend watching this video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16864721

Gary Anderson and Jake are talking about the McLaren launch, Gary is covering the max nose height, and he explains why some teams are doing this with their noses... it's Redbull inspired ofcourse.

Fast Forward to about 2:25 and watch from there and you'll see what he says.. he pretty much sketches Ferraris nose and explains why they've done that.
    I just watched that video as well, very interesting.

So while McLaren's nose might look nicer, without the step, it sounds like they've limited the development potential around that area of the car. By having a higher nose on the F2012, Ferrari will have better airflow underneath the car, and should be able to exploit a lot of areas better in terms of development, i.e. the floor, etc.

The future is RED

Looks more and more like something out of Star Wars.

ScarbsF1 Craig Scarborough:
    Ferraris Pullrod is near horizontal, making that work efficiently will be very hard
    Why are we actually wasting time with trying to get Newey, just get Scarbs on board.

Horrible, I need some time before I have another look at it.

The rear of the car IS tight
    Glad to see the pull rod design on the F2012 already bring one benefit, at least

The front pull rod design will be our risk taken this year. can't wait to see how it works out

Don't be so negative about the aero style of this car. A beautiful looking car is not enough to erase tens. Give this car a chance and if it turns quick after a couple of GPs, all of you hating it now will love this car, cause we care about winning GPs and not beauty shows.

Forza Ferrari !

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

Yes we never had a chin wing with Schumacher right....Desperation? the car has not even turned a wheel on track yet here you are slating it?
    Yeah, seeing how they followed the rules for the new nose cone per exact specifics, does appear they were too scared to play around that area??? There isn't even any sculpting on the step, it's almost identical to the measurements of the rules.

And no, I didn't slate it on performance as it hasn't even raced yet, just on it's looks and design team.

As well from the top view and rear looks like from a diffirent car. Very curvy and stuff, and then there's that blocky nose cone. It's going to take some time to get use to.

BTW, the Schumacher car with the chin wing, (if you're referring to the 2005 car), was a flop on results.

Quote Originally Posted by SashAlex View Post
    Don't be so negative about the aero style of this car. A beautiful looking car is not enough to erase tens. Give this car a chance and if it turns quick after a couple of GPs, all of you hating it now will love this car, cause we care about winning GPs and not beauty shows.

Forza Ferrari !
    I'm really hanging onto this. Guess a lot of Ferrari fans have gotten use to visual candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Why are we actually wasting time with trying to get Newey, just get Scarbs on board.
    +1

Yeah, seeing how they followed the rules for the new nose cone per exact specifics, does appear they were too scared to play around that area??? There isn't even any sculpting on the step, it's almost identical to the measurements of the rules.

And no, I didn't slate it on performance as it hasn't even raced yet, just on it's looks and design team.

As well from the top view and rear looks like from a diffirent car. Very curvy and stuff, and then there's that blocky nose cone. It's going to take some time to get use to.

BTW, the Schumacher car with the chin wing, (if you're referring to the 2005 car), was a flop on results.
    And your qualification on aero are? If Red Bull has the same nose and they probably will, then you are going to say they are desperate too?
    Forza Ferrari

Its not that ugly. as long as it's quick & wins it will get prettier every race. The more you look at it, the more it grows on you.
    Forza Ferrari

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...errari-s-F2012

Sky Sports' Technical Analyst Mark Hughes has identified the F2012's front suspension as the most significant change in Ferrari's radically-different design concept for the new season.

Although focus on the team's new charger has immediately fallen on its sharply-declining 'boxer's nose', Hughes believes that the car's overall design will represent a greater departure in design lineage than will be the case at either McLaren or Red Bull.

Though certainly not an attractive creation, the F2012 may thus yet prove to be one of the most interesting - and possibly innovative - cars on the grid.

"It's no beauty, is it? The way they've incorporated the new front nose height regulation is much more brutal than on the McLaren, more like the Caterham. But there's probably less to that than meets the eye. Of more significance is the front suspension - which is pull-rod rather than the more common push-rod, which is quite a radical change," commented Hughes to Sky Sports.

"Short sidepods, like the McLaren as the aero teams seek to keep the airflow attached to the body along the car's 'coke bottle' contours on its way to the rear wing and over the diffuser, compensating as best they can for the disappearance of exhaust-enhanced aerodynamics."

Ferrari have been badly hampered in recent seasons - and particularly in 2011 - by their struggle to put heat into their tyres, and Hughes belives that the radical-looking new look has, in part, been inspired by the need to fix that fault.

"Being the first design overseen by Pat Fry, and with the very clear recognition he had of the 2011 car's limitations, I'd expect this one to behave quite differently - though that isn't from anything that can be seen on the car. But I'd expect the kinematics of the suspension to be designed to work the front tyres more, to get heat in them faster than Ferraris of the previous few years, and give them a performance pattern more like their rivals.

"Ferrari's 2012 car will probably represent more of a break with the team's design lineage than is the case at either McLaren or Red Bull. Whether that's a good thing or bad remains to be seen."
    Forza Ferrari

They have an awful lot of space above all the suspension members for a front push-rod yet they made an almost horizontal pull-rod. That pull-rod is really flat, how it is going to have sufficient response and reaction? They could have designed a really straightforward push-rod using the maximum space inside the bulkhead. If this space is not utilised, why not make a v-nose?

That design is really stupid. They just invent things for the sake of invention
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DJN4CER View Post
    Ok I'm no aerodynamicist, and I understand that the lowering of the nose is FIA imposed. My question is does that bump have any aerodynamic benefit or it just a matter of saving space and abiding by improving the drivers visibility?
    Yes, it gets the maximum amount of airflow under the nose and to the splitter.

Quote Originally Posted by sheikomatic View Post

They have an awful lot of space above all the suspension members for a front push-rod yet they made an almost horizontal pull-rod. That pull-rod is really flat, how it is going to have sufficient response and reaction? They could have designed a really straightforward push-rod using the maximum space inside the bulkhead. If this space is not utilised, why not make a v-nose?

That design is really stupid. They just invent things for the sake of invention
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

And you may think that design is really stupid, but no offence, I'd put more faith in the likes of Rory Byrne and Pat Fry than you tbh.

Also, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that this is hardly the final design, and Ferrari have already said several times that the car will change a lot between now and Melbourne.

The future is RED