Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari launch - 3rd February 2012 - All news and pics in here

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...errari-s-F2012

Although focus on the team's new charger has immediately fallen on its sharply-declining 'boxer's nose', Hughes believes that the car's overall design will represent a greater departure in design lineage than will be the case at either McLaren or Red Bull.

Though certainly not an attractive creation, the F2012 may thus yet prove to be one of the most interesting - and possibly innovative - cars on the grid.
    I like this bit. And I'm sure everyone will stop talking about the nose when Red Bull turns up with the same looking nose on the RB8.

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by sheikomatic View Post

They have an awful lot of space above all the suspension members for a front push-rod yet they made an almost horizontal pull-rod. That pull-rod is really flat, how it is going to have sufficient response and reaction? They could have designed a really straightforward push-rod using the maximum space inside the bulkhead. If this space is not utilised, why not make a v-nose?

That design is really stupid. They just invent things for the sake of invention
    Word. This looks like they didn't think about what they are doing. It way too simple and even FI and Caterham do have much more advanced "bump" than we do. I hope it will change, there is lot of unused potential.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Word. This looks like they didn't think about what they are doing. It way too simple and even FI and Caterham do have much more advanced "bump" than we do. I hope it will change, there is lot of unused potential.
    Maybe we should wait until it's out on the track before writing it off a mere 2 hours after it was revealed.
    Forza Jules

the car is ugly but look like dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    And your qualification on aero are? If Red Bull has the same nose and they probably will, then you are going to say they are desperate too?
    Aside from a mechanical engineering technology degree, zero. And yours?

Doubt Red Bull will have the same unsculpted nose cone, which appears to be directly sketched from the example diagrams of the FIA?
    Though will be surprised if they do.

Regardless I'm not going to continue in this petty argument with a fellow Ferrari fan. We're all red brothers and sisters here.

I just expressed my concerns, and sudden shock from the change in design philosophy. But naturally like the Italian blood in me, I'll still be routing this fugly all the way.

Later, e pace caro Ferrarista.

It's incredible how tight and clean the coke section is,the gearbox is extremely narrow without having the same structural problems of the Williams FW33,amazing!!
    Contrary to what many believed concerning a low belt chassis,the F2012 has a higher chassis than the F150.
    Last edited by F1technicaleye; 3rd February 2012 at 10:41.

Remember guys we are hiding A LOT= this is just a show car

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Sounds like a pregnancy

Greig will like the car because it is somewhat reminiscent of a duck from the front

Honestly I am surprised at the reactions. This is not the final product, Ferrari has no reason to show the final car, nor what they hide under the sleeves, they just put something there.

And then everyone cries , like Rory knows nothing bout what he does, no, neither does Pat Fry, nor anyone else that have being working almost 24/7 at Maranelo.

Where's your faith people...?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by NanoTheQuickest View Post
    Remember guys we are hiding A LOT= this is just a show car
    I don't think so, except the wings the car is I think pretty 'complete'. Even if they make adjustments it won't be dramatically different. Just live with it. You can't decide by just the bump that the car is slow or fast. Let's wait and see how Q3 goes in Australia :)

First of all,i would like to say i like the new car's shape out except front nose but it's not important if it is fast and a winnig car.All we want to see to end longing championship ofcourse.For me,we seem to take a lot of risks to beat main rivals and thats good.Car is looking radical,some interesting solutions for example front suspension.All you said above and before i generally agree with you my friends.But i am just in a dobt about the nose desicion.We have to wait and see which nose shape will be right choice and sure the people in Maranello knows better than me.We have Platipus nose like Caterham and Force India,just Mclaren is on a different way to protect traditional design.I am not an expert or aerodynamicist so i cant say this is true or not just i belive in my team is right.I also wait how Red Bull's nose will be comparing to us and all the oter teams.Good luck for Ferrari.Please bring us some victories,poles and championship at the end

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

And you may think that design is really stupid, but no offence, I'd put more faith in the likes of Rory Byrne and Pat Fry than you tbh.

Also, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that this is hardly the final design, and Ferrari have already said several times that the car will change a lot between now and Melbourne.
    The tub is homologated throughout the season, suspension mounting point cannot be changed. The only thing that can be physically revised is only the wheelbase by moving the front tires forward/rearward, similar to MGP-W01 update to accommodate Michael's driving style. That suspension philosophy is final. Pull-rod to push rod or vice versa cannot be changed simply by an update.

Newey last year said the Mclaren L-shaped sidepod looks busy, and that is the same with this year's Ferrari. They should go for RB7-like cannon cooling outlet, the sidepod can be slimmer and at the same time did not obstruct flow to the beam wing. I expect this year Ferrari will be the same like Williams FW33. Looks very fast, great revolution, but mechanically awful, even a good aero can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegablue View Post
    Aside from a mechanical engineering technology degree, zero. And yours?
    None, but I am not the one questioning what we have designed
    Forza Ferrari

I expect this year Ferrari will be the same like Williams FW33. Looks very fast, great revolution, but mechanically awful, even a good aero can't help.
    I expect you will be wrong
    Forza Ferrari

Its amazing how much the nose affects the looks of the car as a whole. It would be a pretty neat vehicle without the bump, and being it Ferrari its almost scandalous to show something like this.

The Caterham and especially FI have much more refined noses. Like stated, it seems highly odd to have the extra room there above the front suspension and not do anything with it. I would really like to hear from an expert that this "ruler solution" is somehow efficient.

On the other hand there is no way Ferrari could not have run millions of simulations and what not to test this. But why oh why must it be so repulsive. I don't think there's nothing wrong in stating that. But only time will tell how it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRebel40 View Post
    I don't think so, except the wings the car is I think pretty 'complete'. Even if they make adjustments it won't be dramatically different. Just live with it. You can't decide by just the bump that the car is slow or fast. Let's wait and see how Q3 goes in Australia :)
    wow wow mano, I like the car and never commented on the bump or anything else....

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

Sheikomatic,when Ferrari take a risk than they know what they are doing.Last year we didn't take risks at all and we were way better than other teams like Renault,Williams or Mercedes that took more risks.I have faith in our team.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoTheQuickest View Post
    wow wow mano, I like the car and never commented on the bump or anything else....
    my comment is not only for you but also for the other guys :)

Yikes that nose is ugly, but I don't care as long as it's fast!!

I have to admit I don't quite get the change to pull rod at the front but I'm no expert. BBC's Gary Anderson isn't too impressed but I don't think these experts ever get their predictions right! Roll on testing!
    Last edited by RockyRaccoon; 3rd February 2012 at 11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRebel40 View Post
    my comment is not only for you but also for the other guys :)
    Okay, but I'm just saying a lot remain to be seen as you said the wings, diffuser, floor.. and plenty beneath the surface! As we can see a lot of things can be changed or modified (probably is already done but kept secret) on this 2012 model.
    Last edited by NanoTheQuickest; 3rd February 2012 at 11:12.

They have an awful lot of space above all the suspension members for a front push-rod yet they made an almost horizontal pull-rod. That pull-rod is really flat, how it is going to have sufficient response and reaction? They could have designed a really straightforward push-rod using the maximum space inside the bulkhead. If this space is not utilised, why not make a v-nose?

That design is really stupid. They just invent things for the sake of invention
    The cross section of the nose cone is really small.

I have a tiny concern that while we did an impressive job in reducing the mounting area for the suspension system, the resulting cross section area may be too small for the chassis to pass the FIA frontal impact test, hence while the nose cone remained small to satisfy the new rule, the front chassis have to maintain its previous cross section size.

Remember we were reported to have failed the first crash test.

Had we reduce the entire nose section just enough to accommodate the suspension system, we would have the thinnest nose I've seen yet, and this is impressive how they've compacted the suspension system.

Scarb mentioned that we may have compromise the front suspension system with such pull rod orientation which to me shows that Ferrari really believed in reducing the nose size. If thats true, and we can't pass the crash test to utilize that advantage (smaller nose size), that would be a shame.

In other words, there may be a possibility that that bump was unintentional and we had to expand the nose to pass the crash test, which may explain why that bump looks rather crude when compared to the other team's solution to such bump

The tub is homologated throughout the season, suspension mounting point cannot be changed. The only thing that can be physically revised is only the wheelbase by moving the front tires forward/rearward, similar to MGP-W01 update to accommodate Michael's driving style. That suspension philosophy is final. Pull-rod to push rod or vice versa cannot be changed simply by an update.

Newey last year said the Mclaren L-shaped sidepod looks busy, and that is the same with this year's Ferrari. They should go for RB7-like cannon cooling outlet, the sidepod can be slimmer and at the same time did not obstruct flow to the beam wing. I expect this year Ferrari will be the same like Williams FW33. Looks very fast, great revolution, but mechanically awful, even a good aero can't help.
    So you are saying you are better at designing an F1 car than Rory Byrne or Pat Fry or Nikolas Tombazis?

EDIT: By the way, this is a family friendly forum, so when I said "welcome to the forum" to you on your first post, I guess it was too much to expect a simple "thank you" from you purely out of courtesy, before you had to jump in like the know-it-all you are?
    Last edited by epiclyaddicted; 3rd February 2012 at 11:20.

The future is RED

Sheikomatic,when Ferrari take a risk than they know what they are doing.Last year we didn't take risks at all and we were way better than other teams like Renault,Williams or Mercedes that took more risks.I have faith in our team.

the more I look at it the more I like it...

The nose will definitely change, there is just to much room on the top that part will be sculpted, just like where not seeing the final floor or the exhaust...
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

That nose actually managed to crash the autosport forum. They just came back online a few minutes ago. Already a winner in that aspect

Its in the rules.

The nose/crash structure cannot be higher than 550mm. Only the front bulkhead after it can be 625mm high. Ferrari utilised the maximum 625mm height for a high-nose to maximise flow under the chassis. A high-nose with a pull-rod suspension? That suspension will have zero travel.

My only hope, Red Bull will be heavily affected by the blown diffuser ban, levelling the field. This Ferrari can only capitalise on that if it is mechanically and aerodynamically efficient. However with a full scale wind-tunnel test using my eyes and a CFD run inside my head, I didn't see that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    So you are saying you are better at designing an F1 car than Rory Byrne or Pat Fry or Nikolas Tombazis?
    Rory Byrne and Pat Fry and Nikolas Tombazis are your god, worship and pray to them.

Nikolas says in his interview the car will change a lot between now and the last test/first race of the season..

and if you look at the picture from scarabs I think, they will change it to match the dotted lines....
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

Ok, by now I think we've heard nearly everyone in the world severely dislike the nose and assume Ferrari engineers have made a mistake with the suspension mountings etc but seeing the team's response, it looks like there is more to come. Regardless, it looks fast just sitting there. If anything, others will be playing catch up to us. You wanted an aggressive design and you got one, so quit whinging