View Poll Results: F2012 Front spec/nose, final or not? your view!

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final (will not change)

57 64.77%
  • Not final (Will change/Dummy)

31 35.23%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: F2012 Nose, final or not? your view!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus2 View Post
    Attachment 4510
    Attachment 4511

How about something like this. (probably not legal and not the best photoshop but atleast looks aggressive )
    Now that's an interesting idea. Never thought of it at all. But yeah, probably not legal to have such openings, lol. But a very smart idea nevertheless

Attachment 4510
    Attachment 4511

How about something like this. (probably not legal and not the best photoshop but atleast looks aggressive )
    It looks even more agressive, but I don't think it's legal.
    Good pictures!

Well, as long as "our" nose is the first to cross the finishline, I don't care one bit what it looks like....
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Surely the only place the air could go from those vents is to the driver?? I'm probably wrong.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Surely the only place the air could go from those vents is to the driver?? I'm probably wrong.
    they could channel it so even more air goes under the car or feed the sidepods from inside ?
    we tried something similar in 2008 (i think) but it got scrapped soon after if i recall correctly.
    doubt it would be legal anyway
    Life might be hard, Concrete is a lot harder

Quote Originally Posted by Grinsomx View Post
    they could channel it so even more air goes under the car or feed the sidepods from inside ?
    we tried something similar in 2008 (i think) but it got scrapped soon after if i recall correctly.
    doubt it would be legal anyway
    Oh yeah I remember that. My mistake. I was right that I was wrong
    Doesn't that Spanish article posted say that is the same kind of thing they are trying with the square nose?

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Oh yeah I remember that. My mistake. I was right that I was wrong
    Doesn't that Spanish article posted say that is the same kind of thing they are trying with the square nose?
    I'm pretty good at that myself . They could just put stickers that looked like holes on there to make the nose look better, would be perfectly legal (and probably have red bull scratching their heads for a minute or two, or mclaren for the whole season ). But I think the flat incline is where they plan on putting the car number if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong though .

yes it says that the effect is similar to what we used in 2008 the HOLY NOSE...

but what about this ? (idea stolen from another forum, but changed)

Ferrari-F2012-Image-21.png
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroFA View Post
    yes it says that the effect is similar to what we used in 2008 the HOLY NOSE...

Ferrari-F2012-Image-21.png
    Why was that 2008 nose dropped though?

btw, what you brought up might work, though it'll take a fair bit of time before the winds at 300kph are strong enough to tear off the veins connected to those eyes, causing them to fall off or roll out of their sockets to form the hole.

Is it just me, or do the pillars on the nose of the Ferrari look to be quite a bit thicker than those on the Sauber and Toro Rosso?

I don't know if that's part of the design or they plan on changing the nose later.

Just an observation

Attachment 4510
    Attachment 4511

Lol Red Bull must have stole your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad-Ferrari View Post
    Lol Red Bull must have stole your idea.
    Yeah, turns out thats what Red Bull did

, holy c***, I suppose we are allowed to have holes there.

What if we just showed the car like that, but we'll have those holes after?

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Final, because to change it would need a new chassis
    No...we would not need a new chassis..we can just change the nose in the season...just need to pass the crash test again and redesign the frontal crash structure. May do something like STR...

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    What if we just showed the car like that, but we'll have those holes after?
    Dunno, do you think they'll be able to develop the holes within 4 days to a week?

Every one of the 2012 cars with the stepped nose look fugly! The old addage is "if it looks quick, it probably is". So far, only the McLaren looks svelt and quick in the nose area. But saying that, if Adrian Newey has used a stepped nose, there must be some merit in keeping that shape. As some of you have mentioned before, as long as it's the ugly Ferrari nose crossing the line first, I'll be happy.
    Some say he knows two facts about ducks and they are both wrong...
    @bigandyclifton

I think that will be decided by the tests. If OK then we keep it if NOT we change it. It's too simple. Praying to be the first.

It wont be changed unless McLaren is suddenly 1 sec faster than anyone on the grid....

We can definately change it anytime, only hurdle is the crash test...plus the aerodynamics of the car has to be reworked for a lower nose...and more so the extreme pull rod frontal suspension..

That is a lot asking for aesthetically pleasing car...

How often do we see an evolution of a front wing in a season?

Never seen a team end the season with a wing completely different to the one they had during season opening. Don't remember any at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post

Never seen a team end the season with a wing completely different to the one they had during season opening. Don't remember any at least.
    Ummmm. Front wings are a constantly evolving part of the car year in and year out. It is QUITE common that a team ends the season with a different front wing than they started with. In fact; Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren all ended last year with different front wings than they started with.

Plenty...Ex: Renault tried 20 different front wings in 2010

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...0/825/733.html

Follow that lead...and you can see the number if iterations each team goes thru a season..

Quote Originally Posted by meh123 View Post
    Plenty...Ex: Renault tried 20 different front wings in 2010

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...0/825/733.html

Follow that lead...and you can see the number if iterations each team goes thru a season..
    Edit: see this pic

Thanks. Yeah you're right, there are BOUND to be updates made to the plate on the wing, what I meant by "evolution" was a modulation in which even the area up to the step would be changed.

Thanks. Yeah you're right, there are BOUND to be updates made to the plate on the wing, what I meant by "evolution" was a modulation in which even the area up to the step would be changed.
    Those bits are tightly bound by body work regs, thats why we dont see any fins in that area,except very small ones like Merc/Brawn Gp run... Ferrari have run just 2 types of wings of 2011 spec, mainly with 2 and 3 element front wings which are for low/high df circuits respectively.

Sometime before the Indian Gp 2011 we started to use 2012 wing on the 2011 car, which did a lot of fluttering down in back straight in the Indian Gp.

If you look at HRT 2012 car online release pic.they dont have a step in the nose, but a very high V nose

Quote Originally Posted by meh123 View Post
    Those bits are tightly bound by body work regs, thats why we dont see any fins in that area,except very small ones like Merc/Brawn Gp run... Ferrari have run just 2 types of wings of 2011 spec, mainly with 2 and 3 element front wings which are for low/high df circuits respectively.

Sometime before the Indian Gp 2011 we started to use 2012 wing on the 2011 car, which did a lot of fluttering down in back straight in the Indian Gp.

If you look at HRT 2012 car online release pic.they dont have a step in the nose, but a very high V nose

Great, that should make McLiars feel comfortable, them and HRT go the same way. Hopefully they share nose shapes and performance this year.

LOL, its just different design approaches and methodologies..

Have a read of this :)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/02/2...noses-avoided/