Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 223334353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1630

Thread: Jerez Test 7th-10th Feb 2012 - news and pics

That's the one.

There's also part 2 and 3 to it.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    Did you see bigfoot?
    No lol, there was something about the worlds fastest PC... no idea what was going on in that video lol....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Wow, is it great to hear F1 engines or what!! Thx for the vid!

Pat Fry & Steve Clark measure exhaust heat from the F2012..another day in the office for the scuderia
    dms1209fe286.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kheopsb; 12th February 2012 at 06:13.

Uma vez FERRARI, sempre FERRARI

Beautiful isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari2183 View Post
    That's the one.
    you're right, that redBull looks scary planted, and the Ferrari is pretty good as well.
    McLaren looks okay, and so does Lotus, but not as good as i expected given the trackside reports.

oh and i would also not read much inot what drivers say, remember what Button said last year about Ferrari being 2 seconds up on the long runs?

i think in testing, we have to make our own conclusions based on the info we get.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    you're right, that redBull looks scary planted, and the Ferrari is pretty good as well.
    McLaren looks okay, and so does Lotus, but not as good as i expected given the trackside reports.

oh and i would also not read much inot what drivers say, remember what Button said last year about Ferrari being 2 seconds up on the long runs?

i think in testing, we have to make our own conclusions based on the info we get.
    Now all we need is a video of how the car behaves in the high speed stuff.

Good video from jerez test:

A bit late for this thread perhaps but I must write something after two days of watching testing at Jerez.
    Arrive p.m. on Tuesday at the track. Soooo exciting just to hear the noise. For me the cars look as beautiful as ever despite the nose jobs. Odd looking white car - looks a bit like a cardboard box circulating!
    Thursday. We've splashed out on a position above the garages so get wonderful views of the cars entering & leaving the pits.
    A bitty sort of day for Ferrari - 2 red flags , an hour 's hold-up due to hydraulics leak but Fernando provided some entertainment p.m. gaining on then passing first Grosjean then Vettel over several laps. I 've since read that it meant nothing, but for Ferrari fans it was as good as a race and gave us all a lift!
    Friday. 8 a..m. Still not very light and v. Cold . I watched a group of 4 people outside an hotel, literally kicking their heels, as they wait for - I thought - some transport to take them somewhere. A red Alfa Romeo parked at the side, slowly inches forward to the front door. The 4 leap into the air, clutching each other in joy as FA emerges from the hotel and puts his bag in the boot.
    Like a small flockof birds , with their arms outstretched like wings, they run towards him and , from where I'm standing, appear to smother him - affectionately - & take photos of themselves with their arms round his shoulders. As he eventually is driven off to the track in the gloom they peer intently into their cameras to see how the snaps came out. I do hope they got good ones. There was something both funny and moving about this display of hero worship and affection.
    We head to the track to watch a last couple of hours testing. The 'hero' has put in the fastest time. Again we're assured it's nothing significant but who cares? We're happy anyway.
    Testing is a weird ritual for teams and fans alike. It starts and stops, roars and is silent. For long stretches we watch nothing at all, talking to each other, eating and drinking and even sleeping. Like cricket really.
    No-one, not fans, engineers, drivers, media, seem to know what to deduce from the activity on the track. People are sandbagging, playing cat and mouse, confident, despairing , worried, happy, confused etc. etc.
    Massive and highly secret amounts of data are gathered and pored over and taken to different parts of the globe for more analysis from which more highly secret designs will materialise.
    All human life is here - and the racing hasn't even started.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    A bit late for this thread perhaps but I must write something after two days of watching testing at Jerez.
    Arrive p.m. on Tuesday at the track. Soooo exciting just to hear the noise. For me the cars look as beautiful as ever despite the nose jobs. Odd looking white car - looks a bit like a cardboard box circulating!
    Thursday. We've splashed out on a position above the garages so get wonderful views of the cars entering & leaving the pits.
    A bitty sort of day for Ferrari - 2 red flags , an hour 's hold-up due to hydraulics leak but Fernando provided some entertainment p.m. gaining on then passing first Grosjean then Vettel over several laps. I 've since read that it meant nothing, but for Ferrari fans it was as good as a race and gave us all a lift!
    Friday. 8 a..m. Still not very light and v. Cold . I watched a group of 4 people outside an hotel, literally kicking their heels, as they wait for - I thought - some transport to take them somewhere. A red Alfa Romeo parked at the side, slowly inches forward to the front door. The 4 leap into the air, clutching each other in joy as FA emerges from the hotel and puts his bag in the boot.
    Like a small flockof birds , with their arms outstretched like wings, they run towards him and , from where I'm standing, appear to smother him - affectionately - & take photos of themselves with their arms round his shoulders. As he eventually is driven off to the track in the gloom they peer intently into their cameras to see how the snaps came out. I do hope they got good ones. There was something both funny and moving about this display of hero worship and affection.
    We head to the track to watch a last couple of hours testing. The 'hero' has put in the fastest time. Again we're assured it's nothing significant but who cares? We're happy anyway.
    Testing is a weird ritual for teams and fans alike. It starts and stops, roars and is silent. For long stretches we watch nothing at all, talking to each other, eating and drinking and even sleeping. Like cricket really.
    No-one, not fans, engineers, drivers, media, seem to know what to deduce from the activity on the track. People are sandbagging, playing cat and mouse, confident, despairing , worried, happy, confused etc. etc.
    Massive and highly secret amounts of data are gathered and pored over and taken to different parts of the globe for more analysis from which more highly secret designs will materialise.
    All human life is here - and the racing hasn't even started.
    wow, nice story about his fans

how did the Ferrari car appear to handle compared to the others? did it looks planted, you think?
    thanks.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

by the way what is the thing on top of the cars? specifically ferrari? is that a sensor? data receiver? data transmitter? its pretty huge.
    Hell would have broken loose

WOW! Wondeful account of the Real Event of "Testing" and your stay at Jerez. Thank you for the account and insight of what happened. I look forward to the next Test and to see what advancement the team has made. I was watching the video footage and the cars look great. Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Lotus, Williams, etc. all look and sound wonderful. I hope the season is close for the other teams with Ferrari way out in front!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Now all we need is a video of how the car behaves in the high speed stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post

this one shows the cars exiting through a fast curve, i think. the Toro Rosso looks really ragged, but the Lotus looks nice, and planted in this one.

from the first couple of minutes.

EDIT:

Mechanical traction seems to have solved the F2012 with the latest parts and software modifications on Friday, lack the aero
    Jose Luis

The Flying Lap. interesting Pirelli analysis.
    Ferrari analysis at 10:00, and at 12:00 minutes he says something interesting that the car may be pretty difficult to drive until they optimise the aero more than normal and other cars.
    at 15:00, i see a shot similar to what Alessandra described
    at around 44:00, scarbs thinks Ferrari may have some cooling/KERS advantage this year.

also, in the first vid, the Ferrari noise sounds very different to the others.
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 12th February 2012 at 13:57.

JoseLuis retweed this..What the..?

FrankAlfa@1393
    For the ignorant on-looker like me testing is a strange but v. Enjoyable experience so I'm glad you enjoyed reading about it. Thanks.

Anakin@1392
    The aerial is a transmitter of data from car - garage as I understand it.looks odd but I guess is invaluable.

Scuderia fan @ 1391
    Was it planted? Well, yes, it looked so to me. In that area the car that most impressed me was theLotus. Grosjean planted the nose exactly where he wanted it to go and the rest followed. V. neatly.

Also, interesting to watching LH on a chicane. He seems to brake late, point the nose and let the rear swing out so straightening the car out and then was ready to turn into 2nd corner. V. Quick and neat but reliant on no change /problem with track surface.

Anyway, I'll shut up now before I get found out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    FrankAlfa@1393
    For the ignorant on-looker like me testing is a strange but v. Enjoyable experience so I'm glad you enjoyed reading about it. Thanks.

Anakin@1392
    The aerial is a transmitter of data from car - garage as I understand it.looks odd but I guess is invaluable.

Scuderia fan @ 1391
    Was it planted? Well, yes, it looked so to me. In that area the car that most impressed me was theLotus. Grosjean planted the nose exactly where he wanted it to go and the rest followed. V. neatly.

Also, interesting to watching LH on a chicane. He seems to brake late, point the nose and let the rear swing out so straightening the car out and then was ready to turn into 2nd corner. V. Quick and neat but reliant on no change /problem with track surface.

Anyway, I'll shut up now before I get found out!!
    yeah, it seems many share your opinion. good that ferrari looks good this early on. thanks .

this one shows the cars exiting through a fast curve, i think. the Toro Rosso looks really ragged, but the Lotus looks nice, and planted in this one.

from the first couple of minutes.

EDIT:

Jose Luis

The Flying Lap. interesting Pirelli analysis.
    Ferrari analysis at 10:00, and at 12:00 minutes he says something interesting that the car may be pretty difficult to drive until they optimise the aero more than normal and other cars.
    at 15:00, i see a shot similar to what Alessandra described
    at around 44:00, scarbs thinks Ferrari may have some cooling/KERS advantage this year.

also, in the first vid, the Ferrari noise sounds very different to the others.
    There is really not enough footage of the Ferrari in that video to draw any conclusions about the cars behaviour in high speed corners.

As for the Flying lap comments about optimising the aero... Well, I would expect nothing less as it is a departure from Ferrari's conventional cars of the past. Alonso alluded to it in an interview and I would say they are making pretty brisk progress.

I will watch that episode of the flying lap later, what does Scarbs say about the cooling and the KERS?

Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post

LOL look at 0:19 Fernando opened his DRS while turning into corner?

And the picture about RB is that maybe some parts of KERS?

My understanding is data is buffered in the car's internal storage and transmitted during the fraction of hte lap when the car passes by the pit wall. for the type and quantity of data it is the best time to get good line of sight RF transmission.
    With the extended antenna, they are able to transmit data more frequently, therefore getting more real time data, and subsequently collect greater quantities of it.
    Originally Posted by Alessandra Anakin@1392

Uma vez FERRARI, sempre FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post

good spot. . also, look 08:00 mins the RedBull can get on the DRS a LOT earlier than Lotus or mcLaren.
    There is really not enough footage of the Ferrari in that video to draw any conclusions about the cars behaviour in high speed corners.

As for the Flying lap comments about optimising the aero... Well, I would expect nothing less as it is a departure from Ferrari's conventional cars of the past. Alonso alluded to it in an interview and I would say they are making pretty brisk progress.

I will watch that episode of the flying lap later, what does Scarbs say about the cooling and the KERS?
    good point. yep, it is just that some tend to forget that when they start their 'Ferrari in crisis....'

on the cooling, scarbs said that no other engined cars have the small intakes but big sidepods, and suspects that the Ferrari engine may have found something with regards to cooling or packaging, when talking about the Toro Rosso.
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 12th February 2012 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post

Oh dear, that means that dirty little F2012 has lots of downforce at the rear!

Don't read to much into the opening of the DRS there. I saw the Toro Rosso do it as well.

@Scuderiafan, to be honest with you, I am only expecting the F2012 to be fully up to speed by the 2nd race if not the 3rd. Such is the nature of what they've done.

I'm still hoping for a lovely surprise come Australia though.

Don't read to much into the opening of the DRS there. I saw the Toro Rosso do it as well.

@Scuderiafan, to be honest with you, I am only expecting the F2012 to be fully up to speed by the 2nd race if not the 3rd. Such is the nature of what they've done.

I'm still hoping for a lovely surprise come Australia though.
    even if it is not up to speed by the second race, i believe it can still challenge in melbourne. it all just depends on what they do in Barcelona.

joseluisf1:

"Ferrari have already found what the aerodynamical problem is, to see if tomorrow or know more details;)"
    "They seem to have changed the rules for approval of the chassis, which would design a new one and re-passing the FIA crash test"
    "However, I could not confirm this new standard anywhere, so I leave it in simple 'rumor'"
    "There are rumors that Ferrari has hired more engineers, in this case for jobs back office"

so new chassis possible, thats not good...

A bit more from Jose Luis:

• It seems that the feedback of Alonso has been key to quickly finding the cause of the problem, him and Pat Fry are perfectly understood
    • And now the most important, is there a solution?, And if you have one, will they have time?, To see what we learn;)

I doubt we'll have an entirely new chassis, if anything there will only be minor modifications to our current chassis.

If there is any truth to the chassis bit, it would surprising for sure..but I do think
    if they feel they can be better w/a new one, then they will build it.

Ferrari is hiring i saw that somewhere, don't remember where though- software engineers. Interestings bits from joseluis, is there enough time to build a new chassis, pass the crash tests and bring it to Barcelona already? Uff...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Ferrari is hiring i saw that somewhere, don't remember where though- software engineers. Interestings bits from joseluis, is there enough time to build a new chassis, pass the crash tests and bring it to Barcelona already? Uff...
    Not a chance.

The next week or so at the factory must be to analyse the data for all departments, aero,mechanical, tyres. These departments are hopeful worklng closer together, I read somewhere that this was frys first things he done when he joined, I would expect the next test to have found solutions and be able to get some speed and development path to take