Thread: Jerez Test 7th-10th Feb 2012 - news and pics

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    How would he know what most of the paddock are thinking?
    Its called talking! You know, social interaction.. And you may guess yourself what is the hot topic right now among paddock folk.

I might add that Rosberg if any is well connected in the inner circles of formula one.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    Well I think its a general trend here to be a bit naīve, it must have something to do with the overwhelming desire to be a "true" tifosi. Nothing wrong with that, its just a bit frustrating from time to time, especially when you're looking for constructive information or arguments.

It indeed seems that ferrari might have gone overboard with the F2012, plenty indicating it. I wouldn't take lightly Rosbergs comments either, he usually doesn't talk cr@p. And Massa speaking of unanticipated extra amount of work, sounds like the pr version of "we're in trouble here".

Of course there's more then enough of time still to turn the tides.
    Well it can be easily said the other way round, that a lot of people come in here as extreme skeptics and want to imagine the worst even though we are down just 2 days into testing.
    Besides i dont know how "constructive" an argument here can be if you are doing nothing but dissing the car and not waiting to see what we have in the bag.
    And also now we have people saying we have gone overboard on the design, where in a similar situation (real time) last year they said we didnt experiment enough. So there is no pleasing you! either way, the team has muffed it. That to me is a bit frustrating.
    Silently, like a shadow

Kind of boring at the moment, heh
    10:26 Ferrari is still working on Alonso's car following the hydraulic problem it had earlier. The team said it would be a "long" break before he is back out

10:26 Ferrari is still working on Alonso's car following the hydraulic problem it had earlier. The team said it would be a "long" break before he is back out

For now its 'only' a hydraulic problem. A bit frustrating though, i was looking forward to see some more Ferrari action

Pictures of the new floor being used today

I too agree on some level

Ouch, first mechanical problem. Let's hope they can resume the wrok on the track soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    IMO... we are sandbagging and not showing our true pace; just in case horner, uncle ron and bernie start to feel we will run away with everything and try to ban our developments or deem them illegal.

We may even be bordering on illegal on some of the parts and hence keeping a low profile (for the above said reason)... And come race day, we will just blow them to bits.
    i too agree too a certain point

Ok lets turn the conversion a bit more to the technical parts and not the optimists VS pessimists

I have two questions based on this picture.

1. What is that orange "trail" on the floor, looks like some sort of foil.
    2. Wont the hot gases of the exhausts pointing straight in the break ducts cause overheating of the breaks?? (excuse if this is a silly question as I have no engineering knowledge at all)

Quote Originally Posted by alex1s View Post
    Ok lets turn the conversion a bit more to the technical parts and not the optimists VS pessimists

2. Wont the hot gases of the exhausts pointing straight in the break ducts cause overheating of the breaks?? (excuse if this is a silly question as I have no engineering knowledge at all)
    1. That looks like a protective layer over some wire. Hot gases could melt it, so that's heat protection. Maybe a sensor at the back of the diffuser.
    2. They would surely use heat-resistent materials for the ducts and proper cooling for the brakes, no doubt they know what they're doing.

edit - Oh, and the downwash from the bodywork would cary lots of hot air onto the diffuser instead of it hitting the brake ducts.

Quote Originally Posted by alex1s View Post

Those foils are probably protecting sensor wires from the hot exhaust gas.

Well, beside the brake duct, there are some aero element there to generate downforce. According to an analyst Scarbs, the trick here is to ensure the exhaust gas blows into those aero element and not into the brake duct itself. Would be tricky but Ferrari probably felt its worth trying and if we can get the gas to go to the right spot, it would be good.

Its called talking! You know, social interaction.. And you may guess yourself what is the hot topic right now among paddock folk.

I might add that Rosberg if any is well connected in the inner circles of formula one.
    So he went up down the whole pitlane, speaking to most of the guys from different teams who are all very focused on their own test programme and are busy collecting data on their own car, yet in the brief time they've had to look at the Ferrari on track, they've all concluded that Ferrari are in trouble (after just 2 days of testing)?

I'm sorry but that sounds unrealistic to me. I'm taking what he says with a rather large pinch of salt. We saw what happened last year when Mclaren were supposedly "in trouble".

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    So there is no pleasing you!
    Hmm.. me thinks you're putting a lot of words into my mouth haha.

Look, what I'm saying is that it seems ferrari has issues (with at least front suspension, burnt exhausts and now hydraulics), that's all. It's not the end of the world, although very unpleasant. They themselves say there's more work then expected.

A little objectivity wouldn't hurt.

So he went up down the whole pitlane, speaking to most of the guys from different teams who are all very focused on their own test programme and are busy collecting data on their own car, yet in the brief time they've had to look at the Ferrari on track, they've all concluded that Ferrari are in trouble (after just 2 days of testing)?

I'm sorry but that sounds unrealistic to me. I'm taking what he says with a rather large pinch of salt. We saw what happened last year when Mclaren were supposedly "in trouble".
    To be honest Mclaren where in big trouble last year...they where lucky that when they copied the red bull exhaust that it worked good for them..
    (just saying that it's not really a good comparison )

And besides Rosberg said something negative whereas other have spoken positively so...
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

We can't rely on luck as Mc&^$%& did...

It's almost 2 hours for Alonso sitting out of the car... I can't believe it.

It's obvious someone has put a curse on Fernando.

So far Alonso has 14 laps in his pocket, and Vettel 21. Not that big of a deal.

Hmm.. me thinks you're putting a lot of words into my mouth haha.
    Apologies if it sounded like that. But it was not targeted at you specifically (yeah i know i quoted you) but in general to all the negativity and panic we are seeing here.

Look, what I'm saying is that it seems ferrari has issues (with at least front suspension, burnt exhausts and now hydraulics), that's all. It's not the end of the world, although very unpleasant. They themselves say there's more work then expected.

A little objectivity wouldn't hurt.
    Every team has issues. We know of ferrari issues cause we are looking for it and closely following it. Teething problems are inevitable.
    And its better the issues are now rather than on race day. I would be very concerned if we breezed through testing without a single problem. I believe in the law of averages.
    Silently, like a shadow

So he went up down the whole pitlane, speaking to most of the guys
    I have to say this is getting rather ridiculous, but if you must know, all it takes is a couple of phone calls for an insider and he knows what's the "word on the street".

We saw what happened last year when Mclaren were supposedly "in trouble".
    So no one told you that they really we're in trouble in the beginning of testing? Mclaren (and most of the paddock) went on and on last year what a tremendous team effort it was to change the course before Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by hogo View Post
    So far Alonso has 14 laps in his pocket, and Vettel 21. Not that big of a deal.
    Yes, but Vettel works on an evolution of last year's car. We have a completely new car and more mileage required (I suppose).

Well all the bickering is annoying! This is a new race car from the ground up and Ferrari have much more work on their hands then the other teams running a car developed from last year's car. Ferrari does not seem to have "Issues" but rather they have more slow, stead work to learn the race car and understand how it responds. We have to remember that "testing" is just that "TESTING"! and its not a race! Those that are so quick to judge Ferrari and their new race car don't seem to understand what Testing is about.

Think about it this way, you buy a new car and takes you some time to understand all the features the car has. This is the same with a NEW RACE CAR except there are 100X or 1000X more things to understand and learn about.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sav_pap View Post
    It's almost 2 hours for Alonso sitting out of the car... I can't believe it.
    Then go help them fix the car. It is not like changing the lightbulb you know...

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

iamBrettCollaco Brett-Byron Collaco
    @InsideFerrari When do you guys actually plan on doing low-fuel quali laps?

Scuderia Ferrari
    @iamBrettCollaco Not here in Jerez !

enough said...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Then go help them fix the car. It is not like changing the lightbulb you know...
    Well it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Thanks for the information! You must have huge experience on race cars and races generally. If you can share any other informations with us, please do not hessitate.

I bet it will be not enough for some people

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

I have to say this is getting rather ridiculous, but if you must know, all it takes is a couple of phone calls for an insider and he knows what's the "word on the street".

So no one told you that they really we're in trouble in the beginning of testing? Mclaren (and most of the paddock) went on and on last year what a tremendous team effort it was to change the course before Australia.
    Please explain how it would work for an Insider. I'm intrigued.

As for Mclaren - they were testing the complicated octo exhaust in testing. They tried hard to get it to work, but then eventually went for the more conventional Red Bull approach. The point is, they were not struggling come Melbourne. The conclusions from those early tests proved nothing.

I think once the car is "Sorted" and it still doesn't have speed, then there will be worry. As of now it is MUCH to early to say and think this Ferrari race car has problems. Way to early. I think the first race is the only true measure of the race car. Tesing never really counts for much unless all the team are pushing to see who can be fastest. It happened in the Senna / Prost days. It happened in the Schumacher days with Ferrari when after a day or two, go for great speed and try to find the limits of the race car. Ferrari are just learning the car and have a long way to go to find the car's "BASELINE" let alone the car's limits!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

They already said Fernando will probably not come out again before lunchtime.

How about this: a blue visor!

http://photos.gpupdate.net/large/192438.jpg