Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353647 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerez Test 7th-10th Feb 2012 - news and pics

All panickers deep breath in... and then out

Basically by Ferrari going so radical with the new car they have a lot more new parts to get the hang off than other teams before they can even think about times. Other teams cars are just evolutions of last year so they already have a good understanding of how they work so they can immediately get right on it and look like they are on rails compared to us who are still trying to find out how all these new things work like pull-rods on the front and rear that we don't have the luxury of using last year to obtain a baseline setup.

We just need to sit back calm down let them do what they are doing and then once they start chasing performance then we can see where we stand against the opposition. I have complete trust that they know what they are doing and once they are up to speed on that front then things will be back to normal.
    Last edited by TheProdigalSon; 8th February 2012 at 20:57.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

so it seems, based on some on track observations of a glorified 'shakedown' and some misquotes from felipe, going by what he has been saying in the autosport article and what he said in Ferrari website and article just posted, all hell has broke loose.

fantastic. this is like telling everyone that Barcelona will be awful before the season starts after they have lost their first friendly playing their kids.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It could be worse, you could be a habs fan ;)
    Worse? Think of the last few years as a Ferrari and Leafs fan. At least you guys made the playoffs. On the other hand, if the F2012 is teh rocket it should be and if the white & blue keep winning.... could be a great year this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Our car is pants.

Either Raikkonen or Schumacher will be champion.

We should start working on our 2014 car now because we know next years will be rubbish too.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel08 View Post
    "Felipe Massa looked very good late in the day, when he was finally able to string some laps together (prior to that, Ferrari were in telemetry mode: out-lap, in-lap, out-lap, in-lap). The new Ferrari gave the impression of being fast on both slow and fast corners – and I say “gave the impression” because Felipe appeared to be driving well within the car’s limits at every given moment. And he was doing so with a nice, taut entry phase, just as he used to have in the good old days. No reason to be anything but positive about Ferrari at this early stage of the day." PeterWindsor
    This is nice to read...Windsor's always been a Mac guy so Im a bit surprised. I think theres a difference in people discussing the car, and people freaking out because of lap times.
    Discussions are good, freaking out is bad. Its the ability to know the difference.

I don't think there is much reason to be concerned. Felipe has always been a straight shooter with the media and as he said, they are collecting data. They haven't tried to set the fastest lap time. I would much rather them work out the car then show everyone how fast they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    I don't think there is much reason to be concerned. Felipe has always been a straight shooter with the media and as he said, they are collecting data. They haven't tried to set the fastest lap time. I would much rather them work out the car then show everyone how fast they are.
    Welcome aboard

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

tweets from truzonef1:

"Fernando can give better orientation, anyway tomorrow there will be new parts: floor, diffuser and software among others."
    "Aren't the final versions, but are in Jerez this afternoon. There will be more aerodynamic tests, no time."
    "They have also brought new mechanical and electronic parts to improve balance and traction."

also from joseluisf1:
    "We know more, changes in the F2012 software should improve traction and therefore the balance"
    "The software changes will also improve the output system, but are adapted to the new clutch has not yet reached"

so tomorrow guys another day without good lap times but more working and experimenting...

I feel like we go through this panic every year. And I know I'm likely beating a dead horse here but, isn't this what testing is for? To TEST the new developments (or in this case the total redesign of our previous package?).

Many times Ferrari were favorites out of winter testing, and then they came no where.
    In 1988 they were expected to challenge for the title.
    In 1991 Alesi seemed WC already.
    In 1995 a lot was promised.
    Then there was 2005... and we remember how that went.
    2009 Ferrari was chuffed to be ahead of McLaren in what was meant to be the revenge year. But became the boring Brawn and Red Bull montage.
    Oh yes, even 2011 gave stats that Ferrari would be Red Bull's sole challengers.
    And the same can be said by other teams, like McLaren in 92, Williams in 98, McLaren in 2002, Williams again in 2003...

And all of those conclusions came about from a couple of fast laps and long stints during winter testing.

In my view, only by the first race will we know if the ugliest Ferrari ever is good enough to win races, and after a few races if it can go for the title.

Though Personaly, I'm more worried by Brawn and Schumacher, as those two have a reputation that when they seem down and out, they bolt ahead whole leaving everyone else behind.
    Last edited by Omegablue; 9th February 2012 at 00:50.

I mentioned Ross on another thread..I dont buy his reason for testing the old car..is it realistic? Yes.
    Is it relevant? Um, not sure, as if it was my new car, Id want as much running as possible.
    Does he have something up his sleeve? Of course he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I mentioned Ross on another thread..I dont buy his reason for testing the old car..is it realistic? Yes.
    Is it relevant? Um, not sure, as if it was my new car, Id want as much running as possible.
    What did he say?

Cant wait to read the feedback of fernando to this new car i think fernando is more advance in his technical analysis with regards to handling etc. of a new car. . i also heard new parts for today as well so lets see.. how it pans out today with fernando

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Did the same thing with Ferrari in 2002, 2003, 2004... And said the same thing then.
    Also raced the old car for the first few races in 2002 and 2003...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegablue View Post
    Many times Ferrari were favorites out of winter testing, and then they came no where.
    In 1988 they were expected to challenge for the title.
    In 1991 Alesi seemed WC already.
    In 1995 a lot was promised.
    Then there was 2005... and we remember how that went.
    2009 Ferrari was chuffed to be ahead of McLaren in what was meant to be the revenge year. But became the boring Brawn and Red Bull montage.
    Oh yes, even 2011 gave stats that Ferrari would be Red Bull's sole challengers.
    And the same can be said by other teams, like McLaren in 92, Williams in 98, McLaren in 2002, Williams again in 2003...

And all of those conclusions came about from a couple of fast laps and long stints during winter testing.

In my view, only by the first race will we know if the ugliest Ferrari ever is good enough to win races, and after a few races if it can go for the title.

Though Personaly, I'm more worried by Brawn and Schumacher, as those two have a reputation that when they seem down and out, they bolt ahead whole leaving everyone else behind.
    Exactly! It's TESTING not a Grand Prix. I'm not sure what the confusion with the media and others is? I completely understand there are people that love to hate Ferrari. Always has been, always will be. But unlike the MP4-27, which is an evolution of the '26 or the RB8 which is an evolution of the RB5, the F2012 is a break from the past, totally new. Of course it's going to take much pre season testing to get things sorted. I remember last year AS saying we would challenge RB. Weren't even close. If people would keep the word "TEST" in their mind instead of fastest laptime, things wouldn't be as doom & gloom as some make it out to be.

Hello Ferrari fans!
    It's good to see and hear the cars going 'round again.

I'm very much looking forward to this year. New team structure and a brand new car. Lots of new parts to experiment with and lots of baseline data to gather. It will take some time before we discover our new machine's path to performance. If we are anywhere close to our competitors at the beginning then things will be looking good. After all, their cars are mostly an evolution of last year and they already know how to set them up. Our car is new to us and we still need to test many different configurations before we can begin to find peak performance.

Forza Ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by GrndLkNatv View Post
    It's all just common sense... It's standard engineering practice..... You created a model on paper, you built the model, you are now verifying it's systems and behavior, then once it's reliable and consistent, you tune it for performance...
    Totally agree

Michael and Merc FTW! nah.. just kidding guys.. seriously, I sure they know exactly what they're testing, Merc have stated CLEARLY they used the W02 as it's a stable platform for tyre eval. And the car is in full 2011 spec, so that's with EBD etc. Don't worry, Ferrari are a great passionate team, and you've got some good people on board. Let them get on with it, and hope for the best.
    Michael Schumacher - the best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be!

Alonso will be taking over today, making his first appearance in the F2012. I wonder if the track will be filled with the Spanish fans
    If I recalled correctly, last year they showed up in forces, cheering whenever Alonso's car leaves the garage, lol. Great support by those guys, I don't think any other team enjoy such support during winter testing.

Thursday and Friday should be more telling, but I remain fairly confident that after this shakedown and soak-in phase we'll see the real pace of this year's challenger.
    My only concern is with the number of variables Ferrari is dealing with this year, from the additions and changes to the eng team, and the radical new car. Had testing been as liberal as years past, It would have been a non issue. but human and mechanical integration take time, hopefully we have enough of it in front of us before these laps start counting for real.

Uma vez FERRARI, sempre FERRARI

Correct me if i m wrong,
    But we have a major upgrade at the 3rd test,meaning we have 8 days to understand the car...
    moreover massa did say that the car was less understeering...
    Gives me a lot of optimism!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    Correct me if i m wrong,
    But we have a major upgrade at the 3rd test,meaning we have 8 days to understand the car...
    moreover massa did say that the car was less understeering...
    Gives me a lot of optimism!!!!!!!!!!
    T-E-S-T-I-N-G

Keke Rosberg:

"Keke Rosberg said in an MTV3 interview today that most people at the paddock have already deemed the new Ferrari a failure and think that the team are in trouble."

It's funny, because some people think that they know the truth after two days.... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre B View Post
    Keke Rosberg:

"Keke Rosberg said in an MTV3 interview today that most people at the paddock have already deemed the new Ferrari a failure and think that the team are in trouble."

It's funny, because some people think that they know the truth after two days.... :)
    I can't believe people even say stuff like that! I mean, look at what Michael said.. he played EVERYTHING down.. even though sources/rumours suggest the new Merc has a trick front wing, and they don't want to show it until the last minute, etc. And in actual fact the car is Ready, also about it's interlinked hydraulic suspension etc.
    Michael Schumacher - the best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be!

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I can't believe people even say stuff like that! I mean, look at what Michael said.. he played EVERYTHING down.. even though sources/rumours suggest the new Merc has a trick front wing, and they don't want to show it until the last minute, etc. And in actual fact the car is Ready, also about it's interlinked hydraulic suspension etc.
    Any links to rumors regarding the new Merc? Kinda hard to find in American sometimes...

Wasn't the floor designed by Rory to be tested at the 3rd test????
    is it the same floor that we have brought today????

Ferrari would be a failure if it looked conservative... like McLaren for example

We have so many new parts on. Its an uphill battle for us during this testing week, but if we can get everything together by Melbourne GP, thats when we'll see the true pace of the F2012.

Quote Originally Posted by mrignatious View Post
    Any links to rumors regarding the new Merc? Kinda hard to find in American sometimes...
    here's a whole 114 pages worth http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...4c9&start=1695

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Well thank you. I will check back in mid-way through the season with a full report

Quote Originally Posted by mrignatious View Post
    Well thank you. I will check back in mid-way through the season with a full report
    most of it has some proper engineering speculation, i mean the latter posts are pure .. Physics!