Thread: McLaren & Ferrari exhausts cleared

Big Grin McLaren & Ferrari exhausts cleared

This is good news for us.
    MODS, please move or delete, if posted or needs to go in appropriate thread.
    Last Updated: February 10, 2012 3:37pm

Ferrari and McLaren's rivals look set to have to revisit their interpretation of the revised exhaust regulations after the F2012 and MP4-27 were reputedly deemed legal by the FIA at Jerez.

Sky Sports sources understand that FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting, who has been in attendance at the opening test of the winter this week to run the rule over the new cars, has ruled that the packaging of the exhaust outlets on the new Ferrari and McLaren comply with both the letter and intention of the 2012 regulations.

The blown diffuser concept, which rose to prominence over the past two seasons, has been effectively outlawed for this year following the mandated switch to higher, 'periscope-style' exhausts in a bid to dramatically cut down on the aerodynamic benefit being derived from the channelling of gasses towards a car's rear aerodynamics and diffuser.

Teams were therefore forced to rethink their approach to this area of the car over the winter and it has become increasingly clear over the course of the first week of pre-season that Ferrari and McLaren's new challengers feature more aggressively-positioned exhaust outlets than most others.

It had been thought that rivals may seek clarification of those interpretations but Sky Sports F1's Kravitz, in attendance at Jerez, has learnt that the exhausts on the two cars have been cleared by Whiting.

"I understand from sources in the pitlane that FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting has told the teams that he considers Ferrari and McLaren exhaust designs as legal," Ted told Skysports.com. "Even though the way those two teams have packaged their exhaust outlets, with channels leading exhaust gases out to specific areas of the car and therefore appearing to have a beneficial aero effect, which is against new exhaust regulations, it seems Whiting believes that they comply sufficiently with both the letter and the intention of the law.

"This has been accepted by the other teams, who launched with less aggressive exhaust concepts and it means that they will now effectively green light their own, shall we say more exotic, exhaust designs.

"We can expect to see these in time for the third test in Barcelona, if not before."

McLaren and Ferrari's chief rival, World Champions Red Bull, appear to have a less aggressive interpretation of the rules and their chief technical officer Adrian Newey admitted earlier this week that the team may be harder hit by the ban on blown diffusers than most as they designed their double title-winning car around 2011's concept.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...hausts-cleared
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Goods news

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

After seeing this there is only one thing to do.Piece together whole car and then we see where we stand.Now we go home to solve issues,some modifications.What a clever man i am

Who needs Newey now...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Excellent! Thanks for the post, Rob

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

good stuff.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

to Mr Byrne.....
    "That has made me fall in love with Ferrari even more today than ever." Fernando Alonso

Err.. i wouldnt start the celebration just yet. This is not a direct word from CW. Its a source in the paddock. Could be Nicole for all we know. Come first race, If we are too superior to the others you can bet they will bring this up and deem it illegal.
    Silently, like a shadow

That's good news, fortunately...

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8269/mp427triple.png

Does not look very legal to me...the exhasuts are directed to a set of vanes near the rear brake vanes...which is still blowing to get an aero advantage...

FIA rules are ambiguous at times...

This years exhausts location can be used to gain an aero advantage...Hope we dont have much issue when racing starts

Red Bull engineer caught spying on Ferrari exhaust solution... :)

Quote Originally Posted by meh123 View Post
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8269/mp427triple.png

Does not look very legal to me...the exhasuts are directed to a set of vanes near the rear brake vanes...which is still blowing to get an aero advantage...

FIA rules are ambiguous at times...

This years exhausts location can be used to gain an aero advantage...Hope we dont have much issue when racing starts
    Well that's virtually the same thing that we're doing, so if there's is illegal as you suggest then so is ours.

Here are a few of the different cut-outs used in Jerez. I assume we will have a different/better set-up come BCN.

Thanks to Khan_F1 for image

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ru.../8699/fia.html

5.8 Exhaust systems :
    5.8.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through exhaust joints (either into or out of the system), no fluids, other than those which emerge from the engine exhaust ports, may be admitted into the engine exhaust system.
    5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits, both of which must be rearward facing tailpipes, through which all exhaust gases must pass.
    5.8.3 The last 100mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
    a) Form a thin‐walled unobstructed right circular cylinder whose internal diameter is no greater than 75mm with its axis at +/‐10° to the car centre line when viewed from above
    the car and between +10° and +30° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
    b) Be located between 250mm and 600mm above the reference plane.
    c) Be located between 200mm and 500mm from the car centre line.
    d) Be positioned in order that the entire circumference of the exit of the tailpipe lies between two vertical planes normal to the car centre line and which lie 500mm and 1200mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
    5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a right circular truncated cone which :
    a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
    b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
    c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre line.
    d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel centre line.
    Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any
    bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
    Exhaust tech regulations for 2012...

I believed the exhaust tailpipe could not be cut although the bodywork can expose the exhaust..which is why I thought its illegal...

Pleasec orrect em f I am wrong...