Thread: Pirelli reveals new 2012 tyre markings

Pirelli reveals new 2012 tyre markings

Pirelli promises more exciting races in 2012 Formula 1 season

Pirelli has promised Formula 1 fans that it will deliver even more exciting racing in 2012 thanks to a more aggressive approach with its tyre compounds.

At a season launch media event in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday, Pirelli revealed that it was closing up the gap between compounds for the season ahead to ensure that drivers and teams faced a challenging time at race weekends.

The change in strategy come on top of tweaks to the construction of the tyre - to make the profile squarer – which will help improve grip and handling characteristics.

Pirelli's president Marco Tronchetti Provera said: "These changes will provide more opportunity for passes, and help make a better show. Our tyres will be a bit softer which will add speed and show."

F1 teams will still use only four compounds over the course of the season, but the gap between the different types of tyres has been closed up dramatically. While in 2011 there was often a 1.5 seconds laptime difference between compounds, for 2012 the difference should be less than one second.

Pirelli's motorsport director Paul Hembery said: "We have had to make changes and the objective of those changes is to make the racing closer.

"There is a smaller gap in performance between the compounds. Last year the teams were making choices based on tyres that had a 1.5 seconds difference – we have tried to get that down below one second and the aim is to have it at around 0.8 seconds."

The super soft compound will remain essentially unchanged from last year, but the other three compounds have been made softer to close up the gap – with the hard compound the most different.

"In terms of performance [with the hard], we are dropping down 1.5 seconds per lap like-for-like compared to last season," explained Hembery. "The hard tyre now will be close, if not slightly quicker, than the medium compound of last season – so it is a substantial improvement in performance."

Hembery said he hoped the closer gaps will get rid of the situation F1 found itself in last year when the soft tyre was so much better than every other compound – so became the most used compound at each race.

"We were going through races where teams would maximise use of the sets of the higher performing compound, which were soft in 2011, and minimising use of the hard or medium. From that point of view the second compound would not come into the strategy.

"We needed to do work on the crossover points and the durability – which is what we have done. We want a lower gap between compounds, with the slower tyre slightly degrading slightly less. Then teams will have to make a decision on which tyre to go with.

"Last year we made it too easy for the teams by using soft compounds at each weekend, so they based their weekends around that. This year we want to mix it up more."

Pirelli is hoping that its efforts will ensure that there remain multi-stop races in 2012 – with the aim being for every event to have either two or three stops.

"We averaged 2.2 or 2.3 last year, and we are hoping for the same thing," said Hembery. "Some races were two, some were three – and three was proving to be the most popular.

"We felt that broke the races up in a nice way, and the public felt that three gave it a nice perspective. But we haven't yet seen the 2012 cars; we will see them in a couple of weeks.

"Rumours tell us the downforce will be less than last year, but we know in F1 reality can be different."

He added: "In theory we should have some exciting racing – but maybe we have been too conservative or maybe we have been too aggressive. That we will not know until we get racing."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97169
    The tyre marking colours for 2012 are as follows:

Super Soft Red
    Soft Yellow
    Medium White
    Hard Silver
    Intermediate Green
    Wet Blue

Pirelli has developed a new integrated computer system to collect data during tests and races. The Racing Tyre System is the only one of its kind and unprecedented in Formula One, thanks to its comprehensive functionality that keeps Pirelli’s engineers constantly in touch with the cars, the Teams and Formula One Management personnel.

This unique platform, designed by Pirelli’s Information Technology division in Milan, allows engineers to monitor the performance, wear, and evolution of each tyre when it is out on track. In particular, Pirelli’s Racing Tyre System tracks details of the electronic ‘passport’ that belongs to each tyre and updates it in real time, from construction to recycling.

The bespoke system links the cars, Formula One team engineers’ computer screens, and a tablet carried by each of Pirelli’s tyre engineers with a central server based in Pirelli’s Milan headquarters. This server is updated with information about every one of the competition tyres made in Izmit, Turkey, during each test session and race. The central server stores information about the production process and quality control of every tyre at the factory, certifying its identity and providing relevant data about its characteristics.

Once the tyre has reached the circuit and is mounted on a wheel, the Racing Tyre System collects all the information about the fitting phase and optimal tyre pressure range when the tyre is first fitted to the rim. Other information stored includes the weight needed for balancing the tyre, as well as the dimensions and weight of the tyre when first fitted. When out on track, the car sends telemetry data relating to tyre pressures, temperatures, wear and degradation – which is all recorded on the tablets of the Pirelli engineers.

This data is correlated with the car set-up and other telemetry recorded by the teams and sent to the central server. The accumulated data is always available for Pirelli’s engineers to consult in real time from the track. The Research and Development division in Milan also makes full use of the information, to provide instant analysis and projections that are sent on to the teams.

Formula One Management (FOM), which helps the system to run by providing precise lap times for every driver, also receives data in real time from Pirelli, such as which compounds are fitted to which car. Formula One Management then sends this information out to accredited television channels, helping to provide comprehensive media coverage.

The information relative to last year collected by the Racing Tyre System was used by Pirelli for the design and development of the 2012 Formula One range. The system will benefit from increased functionality this year, which will enable tyre analysis over a single sector and prescribed split times, in order to provide a complete picture of the performance of a tyre during each phase of the lap.

The latest evolutions on the Racing Tyre System will also make it possible to compile and send final reports to each team in real time, as well as to Pirelli’s Research and Development division.

Finally for 2012, each tyre’s temperature will be measured at the end of every session by a special thermometer (called a pyrometer) that can send instant readings to the engineers’ tablets and the central server via Bluetooth.
    Last edited by Forza 27; 25th January 2012 at 09:21.

seriously why have the medium and hard tyres as similar colours?

Quote Originally Posted by redsteph View Post
    Was thinking the same, even thought up some better colours :) Purple maybe or neon PINK!

Couldn't agree more! Why put similar colors, when they could choose any other?! At those speed who will notice the difference? Stupid!

But medium and hard won´t be used in the same weekend right?

Quote Originally Posted by Curbs View Post
    But medium and hard won´t be used in the same weekend right?
    That's what I thought as well and I'm pretty sure Pirelli know that silver and white look similar from a distance or on TV and that's how they came up with the current colour coding.

I think the whole colouring of the tyres is silly, especially for TV. The screen is so busy now, multi-coloured tyre options just detract further from what we want to see, the cars being raced. It also makes it harder for the livery to stand-out, and, personally I preferred to see a great paint job on a car than some technicolour-yawn over a tyre. Go back to the prime/option stripe/no stripe for me. Those who wanted to know what actual compound was being used would either find out or they announce it enough during the race.

I think its a bad choice to put medium and hard so close to each other (white and silver) since hard will always be used together with medium.

Maybe hard should not have any color at all so its easier to distinguish them

Madium and hard won't be used during the same weekend. Also color choices are great IMO. Will be much easier to spot, even tho I had no problems last year either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I think its a bad choice to put medium and hard so close to each other (white and silver) since hard will always be used together with medium.

Maybe hard should not have any color at all so its easier to distinguish them
    Medium and hard wil NEVER be used together. That's why they are so simmilar. It is simplier to see which tyre is the harder one: softer is always one of the pastel colors while the hards will always be monochromatic.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Wait, I think I'm confuse
    Usually in each race weekend, we will have the prime and option tires, right

So basically its soft and medium, or soft and hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Wait, I think I'm confuse
    Usually in each race weekend, we will have the prime and option tires, right

So basically its soft and medium, or soft and hard?
    Super softs + mediums; softs + hard. In cases like Monaco or whatever it may be different (super softs + softs,...) But one of the two softer compounds will be used in every GP.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Oh brother, when will they stop with these attempts at manufactured racing and realize the real problem is too much reliance on aero??????
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Super softs + mediums; softs + hard. In cases like Monaco or whatever it may be different (super softs + softs,...) But one of the two softer compounds will be used in every GP.
    Ah, ok, now I understand how it works. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Oh brother, when will they stop with these attempts at manufactured racing and realize the real problem is too much reliance on aero??????

QUOTE!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

More of the fruit pastille tyres then.. Don't know why they didn't just do it the way Bridgestone did it would make it so much easier.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Medium and hard wil NEVER be used together. That's why they are so simmilar...
    Well, never say never :)
    Hards + Mediums in Sepang.

Quote Originally Posted by redsteph View Post
    The Pirelli said that they put some sort of chips in tires so we will be able to watch on TV montage who is on softs , mediums etc.

The cars were wider and had bigger rear wings in Schumacher's early Ferrari years. And there was more "real" over taking back then.

And don't think the problem is with the aero, but instead with some of the stupid new tracks that seriously need updates.

The teams over the last years could had saved massive amounts of money if the rules for the car's designs were kept the same, and instead the tracks had alterations.

Aero's and restrictive regulations have long been a bug bear of mine. I'm completely behind LCdM on those. I agree with Omegablue to the extent that the track can make a huge difference. But, I also don't believe in "more overtaking at any cost". An easy/gifted overtake has no value IMO. I'd trade 100 DRS overtakes for a great scrap over 5 or 6 laps. I mean, successfully defend an overtake, where the drivers are allowed to really defend, can be just as thrilling as an overtake.