Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Ferrari News but "Petrov replaces Trulli at Caterham"

Not Ferrari News but "Petrov replaces Trulli at Caterham"

Vitaly Petrov has replaced Jarno Trulli as a race driver at Caterham for the 2012 season, with the latter leaving the team.

Petrov has been without a drive since he was replaced at Lotus (formerly Renault) in December. From that point on rumours have been rife that he would move to Caterham, with his manager Oksana Kosachenko recently admitting that any negotiations with teams were being held up by a lack of commitment from a sponsor. Now, however, those issues have been settled and Petrov has been named as Heikki Kovalainen's team-mate.

"This is a very exciting day for me," Petrov said. "I would like to thank Tony, Kamarudin Meranun and SM Nasarudin for giving me the chance to join a team that made its F1 debut at the same time as me, and has grown from one of the new teams to a serious force for future honours. The passion and spirit that Tony and the whole team have to keep moving forwards is infectious, and I am honoured to be able to join them and play my part in helping the team mount a serious challenge to the teams ahead in 2012 and for many seasons to come.

"I have been training hard all winter and am ready to get back into the cockpit and go to work. From what I have seen already, our new car is another good step forward from 2011 and now I cannot wait to see how it feels when we get to Barcelona. I would also like to take this chance to thank all my fans and partners for their support and their patience."

Team principal Tony Fernandes said that Petrov shares the "vision" of the team.

"We are all delighted to welcome Vitaly into our team and are very excited about the role he will play in helping us take the next steps forward in 2012 and for many years to come," Fernandes said. "When we first met it was immediately clear that Vitaly understands and shares our vision for how we want our team to grow. As the first Russian to race in F1 he carries the hopes of a huge nation with ease and his talents, experience with one of our current competitors and insights on and off track will play a huge role in our development as we fight to join the established teams ahead."

Trulli's future had been in question since he struggled to match Kovalainen last season, even handing over his car to Karun Chandhok for the German Grand Prix. Despite those issues, Fernandes thanked Trulli for his contribution having been with the team since its debut.

"I also want to take this opportunity to thank Jarno for the absolutely pivotal role he played in the formation and progression of our team since he joined us in December 2009. Jarno knew that when he joined us it would be a very different environment to where he had been before, and when we gave him the package he wanted he absolutely shone. With that in mind it was not an easy decision to bring Vitaly in to replace Jarno, but it was one we made to ensure that we give fresh impetus across the whole team and with a realistic eye on the global economic market.

"Jarno has an incredible natural talent behind the wheel, and his winning record and longevity in the sport will bear testament to that talent in the Formula 1 annals forever, but now it is time to open a new chapter in our team's story, and Vitaly is the right person to help us do that.

"We have reached agreement with Jarno to bring an end to our partnership with him, but he will always be part of our family. Now we want to integrate Vitaly as quickly as possible into the team, and we will do everything we can to welcome him in, give him a car he can use to showcase his skills, and keep up the rate of development that has seen us go from an empty factory with just four employees to a fully established Formula 1 team in just over two years
    http://en.espnf1.com/caterham/motors...tml?CMP=chrome

Another 'oldie' out of the way

i didn't believe it would happen. however i'm not going to miss Trulli
    not gonna change my profile picture

One rolling roadblocker replaced with another, sorry to say. Imo, if Petrov couldn't do much at
    Renault there are even less chances he'll succeed at Caterham?

About time Trulli's career ended. He past his peak a long time ago and never recovered from his Renault days. Not overly excited about Petrov being given another chance but at least he's a younger driver that has potential.

I feel a little sad for Trulli and Barrichello, they couldnt say goodbye in a last race like Michael or David..
    But it's only on them to blame, for not taking the advices from others in the sport to retire...Felipe warned Rubens, but Rubens as thick headed as he his didn't want to listen..
    Not sure about Trulli but i'm willing to bet that he too was warned, he even have should seen this coming after last year...

Oh well next year it's "Caterham Lada F1 Team"
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

As always small teams need to hire pay drivers. But I wonder: It's obvious that he isn't something special. Why don't he try his luck somewhere else. I wouldn't miss him at all.

It seems to be that if I won the lottery and was willing to give one of the last place teams $50M I could probably be a on the grid looking for blue flags as well.

It's kinda pathetic...

So... no Italian on the grid, for the first time since 1969

Thanks Vitaly

Quote Originally Posted by F2008 View Post
    So... no Italian on the grid, for the first time since 1969

Thanks Vitaly
    you think that drivers should be kept only because of their nationality?

But didn't Trulli sign a contract to race for them in 2012 like not long ago? Just seems contracts are so pointless now!

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    you think that drivers should be kept only because of their nationality?
    Have I said that? It's just surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by F2008 View Post
    Have I said that? It's just surprising.
    no you haven't. i just asked. i just don't find it that surprising. although i don't like petrov, i think he has more motivation than trulli

The headline should be: Petrov buys trullis seat at caterham
    Nowadays drivers are not chosen by who have more talent, but for who is able to pay more.

didn't trulli have a contract which actually didn't state that he drives for the team, only that he has contract with team?
    and so he bought his seat - he isn't the first one and not the last one either

As I read else where.

Petrov goes from the new Lotus team to the former Lotus team.

I think it's sad that drivers buy they're seats these days. There are plenty of younger and faster drivers that collect dust in GP2 or as reserve drivers.

Though it's ironic that Trulli years ago warned that race car drivers in Italy aren't supported as much like the motorbike riders, and Italy risked a drought on the F1 grid.
    Still there's also a young Ceccon, 18 years old Italian, and already tested for Toro Roso.

Stupid move by stupid people. Only Alonso is better driver than Jarno. Sadly he never had strong financial backing so got to drive just for average teams... Oh well legends come and go. I will miss you Jarno!

Nice time to announce it. What was the point in letting trulli do Jerez then???
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 17th February 2012 at 13:21. Reason: iphone typing sucks.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Nice time to announce it. What was the point in letting trillion do Jerez then???
    It pushed higher Petrov's bid.

Oh, no. I will miss Jarno.
    Hoping russian renta-driver will fail this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
    Oh, no. I will miss Jarno.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch View Post

This are really bad news. Such a shame Trulli ends his F1 career like this, again money is far more important than driving skills.
    I think I'm not the only one who hopes to see Vitaly back in the grid and being shown by blue flags during the race....

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    A picture says a thousand words

Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post
    The headline should be: Petrov buys trullis seat at caterham
    Nowadays drivers are not chosen by who have more talent, but for who is able to pay more.
    +1
    Red is the only color!!!

Money can't buy you happyness but it sure can buy you an F1 car.......
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    Money can't buy you happyness but it sure can buy you an F1 car.......
    Should be framed at Caterham's garage.

Wonder why are we so concern about saving cost then when these small teams are making a fortune running this rent a F1 seat business

So sorry to see Jarno go but his results over the past few years speak for themselves.
    Don't like how this was done. Surely he should have been told before the end of last season.
    To let him test last week in the hope of another year in F1 is cruel to say the least-----------yeah I know F1 is a business and people are expendable at any time.
    Now he’s off to spend more time in his winery I guess.

Forza Jules