Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: First Barcelona Test 21st-24th Feb 2012 - news and pics

Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is testing. There is a need to test all of the various tire compounds, including soft and super soft with various fuel loads. Just because someone is on supersofts does not mean they are necessarily doing qualifying simulations. You can't compare the times with the various compounds because you don't know the relative fuel loads.
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times

If it's crap, everything is done so no need to worry. New car back in Europe.

<something in the middle is problably where Ferrari is ATM>

If it's WDC winning car, everything is done so no need to worry. Keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    IN all honesty the car's full potential will only be known after the first few races. Until then we must be patient and not expect too much from Ferrari. Alonso himself confirmed this before testing even started.
    Yes.

Remember last year how Fernando boasted about how the 150th Italia is the best car he has ever driven. He had to swallow those words pretty quickly, so no wonder everyone is more reserved this year and it's by no means a bad sign. The season hasn't even started and already we have lost the championship according to some. If some people here worked for Ferrari they will probably give up every year just to start work on the following year's car... why bother and maybe Ferrari should concentrate on the 2030 season?

Just my opinion, but I like to see the positive side of things... and if the F2012 is useless we know they tried at least.

I don't remember Alonso saying that about the F150, i think he said that about the F10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
    Yes.

Remember last year how Fernando boasted about how the 150th Italia is the best car he has ever driven. He had to swallow those words pretty quickly, so no wonder everyone is more reserved this year and it's by no means a bad sign. The season hasn't even started and already we have lost the championship according to some. If some people here worked for Ferrari they will probably give up every year just to start work on the following year's car... why bother and maybe Ferrari should concentrate on the 2030 season?

Just my opinion, but I like to see the positive side of things... and if the F2012 is useless we know they tried at least.
    He said that about F10.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

You can still see the bodywork deforming here, i don't think this is really 'solved':

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/6...rmationbcn.png

FA @joseluisf1 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    #ModeFanboyOn Newey, solo has visto parte de las piezas de un puzzle que no entiendes, ya veras cuando este montado ;)

this one knowns well what he is talking about ....so be cool!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Race victories 219
    Pole positions 205
    Fastest laps 225
    Words of what???We are the F1!!!Any Doubts???

Alonso concedes Ferrari not the quickest car, but says it's too early to judge

Fernando Alonso has conceded that Ferrari may not be heading into the new season with the quickest car - but he still thinks it is too early to judge where the F2012 stands in the pecking order right now.

While its main title rivals are already at the stage in their testing programmes where they are conducting race simulation runs, Ferrari is still compiling aerodynamic data and running with a variety of sensors.

Alonso is not being too downbeat about the situation though - and thinks it more important that Ferrari keeps trying to get a better understanding of where it can improve the F2012.

"It is true that we keep getting information about the car, information that sometimes we should already have in our pocket, but the car seems quite complex to understand and we need to keep understanding better what is the behaviour," said Alonso, who has now completed his two days of running for Ferrari at Barcelona.

"I remember last year in the first tests we did a race distance on the final day and we were 1.5 seconds behind Red Bull in Australia. So a race distance is always welcome, but I prefer to have a performing car and to find reliability, than to have a strong car that is slow."

When asked by AUTOSPORT if he felt there was potential in the car for it to be fighting for victory in Australia, Alonso said: "We [will] see. I think it is too early to say.

"Definitely our targets are very ambitious. It is normal for Ferrari; you always try to win straight away the first race of the championship if you want to be a contender, so that was the target over the winter.

"At the moment we don't know exactly where we are. I think maybe we are not the fastest but definitely we are not the slowest – so we need to wait and see, especially in the final test. With hotter temperatures in Australia etc we will see how the cars work and in Q3 there is the time to see where you in Melbourne.

"Red Bull seems competitive. That is not a surprise, as they have continuity in the last two or three years with that car, so it is difficult to get it wrong completely.

"They will be always there, so McLaren/Ferrari they need to invent something and be a bit more creative to beat Red Bull, and that is what both teams did. McLaren and Ferrari, they chose different solutions, different philosophies maybe and maybe more complex, but the result we will see in Melbourne and more importantly in November."

Alonso also played down trackside observations that the new Ferrari did not appear as well-balanced on the Barcelona turns as other cars – although admitted it was lacking in the way it exited from corners.

"From the driver point of view, it always feels loose the car, you always want more and more grip. I don't know [about] the others, but when you drive the car you think the others are having the same problem.

"If you say the others don't have the same problems then that will be a problem, but it is difficult in a test to understand what the others are doing and watching the others it is always difficult.

"Sometimes we put a very old set of tyres on and do constant speeds, and in the corners you are extremely slow. At the same time another car is running with new tyres and a short run of fuel and they fly in the corners. So from the outside it is difficult to see. But it is one area we need to improve: [the] exit of corners is one area where we are struggling, yes."

Autosport
    No Risk, No Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    You can still see the bodywork deforming here, i don't think this is really 'solved':

Holy cow, that was the deformation they were talking about?

That looked pretty serious

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    I don't remember Alonso saying that about the F150, i think he said that about the F10.
    Oh, my bad. Time flies.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97633 Sorry didn't see it above!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by PURE PASSION; 22nd February 2012 at 17:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post

It's not deformation, just part of our packaging. Same as it was in Jerez.

What's all the yellow on the car?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    +1.

Exactly. It's not a deformation. It's just some cable/suspension/cooling system, covered by the bodywork.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    It's definitely deformation, no one is their right mind would have bodywork shaped like that.

@TIFOSO : They tend to call it Flow-vis
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    It is just to check the air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Flow viz paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    It's definitely deformation, no one is their right mind would have bodywork shaped like that.
    No it isn't.

Look here - just very tight packaging.

Thanks mates

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

We need to worry about being off pace.

Seems we don't have the car Alonso want's for the moment, when he was happy with the car he did not hide from it(remember the declarations made after driving the F10, when he said it's the best car he ever drove).

That being said it doesn't necessarily mean that we have a slow car but also not the fastest one, we have to wait and see, i am cautious and try to keep my expectations in check.

It's logical that RedBull will be fastest and McLaren right behind them, to be honest if we end up in Melbourne with the 3-rd best car it will not be a disaster, if we are within 0,5s of the pole.

Remember last year we were 1,5s ... but anything more than 0,5s and it will be difficult to think of championships in 2012.

Also I must applaud the decision of our team to try a new approach, a new philosophy with the new car, we were way overdue to at least try and bring something new, now we just need to make it work .

I don't think this test will tell us much, we need to wait for the last test in Barcelona, when everybody will have their full aero packages for Melbourne, to see what's happening and even then we might come to Melbourne and have a very nasty or pleasant surprise in Q3 .

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsofan2002 View Post
    We need to worry about being off pace.
    Who says we’re OFF pace?? Did Ferrari come out and say that we’re slow, that our intention of being aggressive in our design has turned out to be not fast enough???
    As far as I can remember I don’t think I’ve seen such comments from Ferrari or even our drivers.
    So until I see black on white confirmation from our team, that we indeed are slower than our main rivals, I tend to believe that we’re going to be OK and that is only taking time for such a BRAND NEW CAR we have to iron out the details and compare all possible combinations of set ups that are going to make us quicker, QUICKER than ANYONE out there.

Forza Ferrari.
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Who says we’re OFF pace?? Did Ferrari come out and say that we’re slow, that our intention of being aggressive in our design has turned out to be not fast enough???
    As far as I can remember I don’t think I’ve seen such comments from Ferrari or even our drivers.
    So until I see black on white confirmation from our team, that we indeed are slower than our main rivals, I tend to believe that we’re going to be OK and that is only taking time for such a BRAND NEW CAR we have to iron out the details and compare all possible combinations of set ups that are going to make us quicker, QUICKER than ANYONE out there.

Forza Ferrari.
    You will never see a team come out and say: "We are slow", not in winter testing at least.

My impression is that RedBull is still fastest, you can see they are quietly confident and the car behaves well, we still have much work to do, the drivers are clearly not over the top with the F2012 right now but we are definitively not the slowest out there.

F10 was a great car so competitive if we dont count the middle of the season.We lost time when we were developing the car.But it was strong both aerodynamical and mechanical sides.In general,it was the second fastest car with the season.Even the fastest in races such as Italy and Singapore.So i mean Alonso is not %100 happy right now but there is still 3 weeks time to the season + one last test session.I predict we will be burst after the Europe races or first 2-3 races.The other reason to be hopeful is our new suspensions.They may help us to race better under the rain conditions which causes to overheat the tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    You will never see a team come out and say: "We are slow", not in winter testing at least.

My impression is that RedBull is still fastest, you can see they are quietly confident and the car behaves well, we still have much work to do, the drivers are clearly not over the top with the F2012 right now but we are definitively not the slowest out there.
    And it's also been since 2004 since the team has come out and say we're not where we want to be, we don't understand the car. I believe we took a different approach from last year where we thought things were great and are being cautious.

At 4:35 the car looks planted to the track and also notice how late alonso brakes:

[QUOTE=OSS EL BOSS;710356]At 4:35 the car looks planted to the track and also notice how late alonso brakes:

so what are you trying to say??? that we're actually playing games with the others??? and that we may actually be in a good position to challenge both red fools and McCheaters??

i really hope so...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

That "Deformation" could be an area where they have increase some heat shielding or it could just be a bump in the bodywork to accommodate something under the skin. Not such a big deal. That's what testing is for.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

[QUOTE=FerrariF60;710357]
    Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post
    At 4:35 the car looks planted to the track and also notice how late alonso brakes:

so what are you trying to say??? that we're actually playing games with the others??? and that we may actually be in a good position to challenge both red fools and McCheaters??

i really hope so...
    Could be, but i think Ferrari had always a high fuel load in the car.