Thread: First Barcelona Test 21st-24th Feb 2012 - news and pics

Quote Originally Posted by Nisko View Post
    definitely .....

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Red Bull Racing and Ferrari have changed their testing plans for next month and will now run at Barcelona from March 2-5.

The test was originally scheduled from March 1 to March 4 - Thursday to Sunday - but Ferrari opted to test from Friday to Monday instead.

Red Bull consulted with Ferrari if they could join the Italian squad on track on Monday, with the Maranello squad giving its rivals the green light.

Both teams will still test just four days like their rivals, but will kick off their programmes a day later.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said the decision was made purely for logistical reasons.

"We have decided to join Ferrari in running from Friday to Monday as opposed to Thursday to Sunday. We're just moving it a day," Horner told AUTOSPORT.

"From a logistical perspective, it just made a bit more sense. We asked Ferrari if we could join them, they agreed. It's purely for our own logistical purposes that we decided to move the test by a day.

"It's the in test agreement and also within the test regs. We are within the time limit for that. It's something that we've elected to do. Lotus are doing their own thing but that's for different reasons elsewhere. But we have decided to run from Friday to Monday."

Lotus is set to be granted a private day of testing after having to pull out of the Barcelona test this week because of problems with its chassis.

via AutoSport

Red Bull scared ??? They want to be sure we don't have some secrets hahaha

about Lotus...
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

about Lotus...[/QUOTE]

We lost half a day at least due to an hydraulic leak in Jerez didn't we. Had to wait overnight for replacement. Can we have half a day back please?

Quote Originally Posted by anupa2k View Post
    Webber Red Bull 1m24.771s +2.380 81
    Massa Ferrari 1m24.771s +2.380 62

Identical lap times...but had it been Fernando it would have been 4ths faster...

I like that Redbull had to ask Ferrari for permission first. Also seems like a reasonably good day today, almost a 100 laps, tomorrow we might do it. But more looking forward to the last test, I wonder if we will still get live timing on the Monday that Redbull & Ferrari will have the track all to there selfs
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

i like how RedBull had to ask Ferrari for permission. good that they know their place. i kidd, or do i...

Merc, Reno cheating ***** trying this again, when ferrari screwed their season last year after agreeing to keep EBD????

they can **** off.

if it is getting banned, you can bet LdM is doing This right now.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    Thanks. I'm a bit concerned that the exhaust exits have moved so dramatically. They don't exit from their intended position by a long long way any more. Ferrari really are searching for something.
    Red Bull and Mercedes seem to have adopted an 'aero neutral' exhaust exit, while McLaren and Ferrari would appear to be trying to blow the exhaust between the tyre and the floor. It could be that the on/off throttle effects when cornering are contributing to the inconsistent entry/mid/exit corner behavior Fry and Alonso have mentioned. The inward exhaust position tested on the F2012 may be Ferrari attempting a more aero neutral solution.

Quote Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post
    Red Bull and Mercedes seem to have adopted an 'aero neutral' exhaust exit, while McLaren and Ferrari would appear to be trying to blow the exhaust between the tyre and the floor. It could be that the on/off throttle effects when cornering are contributing to the inconsistent entry/mid/exit corner behavior Fry and Alonso have mentioned. The inward exhaust position tested on the F2012 may be Ferrari attempting a more aero neutral solution.
    That actually sounds quite plausible f300. Good spot.

Some minor problems but all in all a good day of testing for thre Ferrari team.

What is the saying : "Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer"! Maybe we will see some gamesmanship in a bit of one on one testing with Red Bull at the next Ferrari Test Session? I say it is a smart move by both teams in an effort to read the others hand. Maybe Ferrari will have more clean running with only one other team on the track. Ferrari needs to understand the car and improve the car rapidly now! They have to concentrate on Sector Times and understand tire wear.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Massa: “Progress compared to Jerez"

Montmelo, 23 February – This first long period of shaking down for the F2012 is now reaching its conclusion. While the mantra repeated on a daily basis by the crew of the Prancing Horse remains the same from Jerez to today – “we are acquiring data on the behaviour of the new car,” there’s a good reason for it: the team is concentrating mainly on analysing all the information gathered on what is a totally new project, featuring some extreme elements that require an in-depth check in order to be fit for purpose by the start of the season. The work on the track has therefore been rather different to previous winters, leaning more towards set-up modifications and on car configuration rather than looking for performance over short and long distances. Yes, there have also been a few little problems on the reliability front which have slowed down the operation, but the guide lines for the real development work are beginning to emerge and they will form the basis of the final test session next week, which will get underway on Friday 2 March, twenty four hours later than planned.

Also different to usual will be the running order of the drivers, in that Felipe will start and then alternate with his team-mate, who will bring the session to an end on Monday 5 March. Today, Felipe was back in the cockpit of the F2012 after four days in which it fell to Fernando to see to development. “The car is definitely better compared to Jerez and we are beginning to define how we must move forward to continue to improve,” said the Brazilian. “I ran all the time on the hardest tyres and I am reasonably pleased with the work we did. Tomorrow, I will try the other compounds and we will work on fine tuning the car. It will be important to do a lot of kilometres over these final five days to be as well prepared as possible for the first race of the season.”
    http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...-to-Jerez.aspx

this won't be on BBC/Autosport/SSN/ as it does not fit their agenda.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    Some minor problems but all in all a good day of testing for thre Ferrari team.

What is the saying : "Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer"! Maybe we will see some gamesmanship in a bit of one on one testing with Red Bull at the next Ferrari Test Session? I say it is a smart move by both teams in an effort to read the others hand. Maybe Ferrari will have more clean running with only one other team on the track. Ferrari needs to understand the car and improve the car rapidly now! They have to concentrate on Sector Times and understand tire wear.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!
    I think red bull is worried about Ferrari despite many people writing ferrari off. Because they already know about mclaren and mercedes because they did similar programms to their own with qualifying and race simulation and want to know more about Ferrari.

I dont think RB is worried about anyone, but it is how u say..rather interesting that they will test together...
    private race anyone? This is 1 test Id love to be at....

Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post
    despite many people writing ferrari off.

only people writing ferrari off is in this very thread and thats the sad part. this is not "news and pic thread" but rather "gossip/rumour and pics thread"

a good day for Ferrari gets better. FIA seem to have banned Reno Merc teams' engine mapping.

Anyone fancy a story about a loophole in the F1 engine mapping rules getting closed off? Hang fire a few minutes then...
    also, i admit i was wrong Autosport. your news is very good, but not the live comms.

Felipe is Pleased with Ferrari Progress.
    we are getting there.

The off-throttle exhaust blow of red bull:

FIA to eliminate potential for F1 exhaust blowing by closing off ECU loophole
    By Edd Straw and Jonathan Noble

FIA to eliminate potential for F1 exhaust blowing by closing off ECU loophole
    By Edd Straw and Jonathan Noble Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 20:11 GMT

The FIA is to close off a loophole in Formula 1's new engine mapping regulations as part of a fresh clampdown on exhaust blowing, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

As teams continue to push the limits of the exhaust regulations, sources have revealed that the FIA has been alerted about a way in which teams could get around the stricter engine mapping limits laid down for this year.

Motor racing's governing body has been on a crusade to eradicate any form of exhaust blowing that is primarily aimed at producing an aerodynamic benefit.

As well as agreeing with teams on technical regulations that forced the now-standard periscope exhaust designs, AUTOSPORT revealed in October that the FIA was also imposing strict limits on engine mapping programmes to prevent the continued off-throttle blowing of them.

Although that move went some way to resolving the issue, sources have revealed that the FIA has now been tipped off by one engine maker that there remains the possibility in the current mapping configurations to get around those new limits.

AUTOSPORT understands that the issue relates to the extreme possibility of a team trying to make use of a bigger throttle opening than is allowed, to help increase the flow of exhaust gases by inducing a misfire.

Sources have confirmed that the FIA has worked with the manufacturer involved to cut off this potential avenue of development. An updated version of the software for F1's Standard ECU - which controls the engine maps - will be released before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

The FIA does not suspect that any team was making use of this loophole at the present time, although such an action could not have been ruled out if outfits had found out about it later in the campaign.

Williams chief operations engineer Mark Gillan said he remained confident that the FIA had a handle on the exhaust regulations for 2012 - and that the closing of such loopholes would be part and parcel of the build-up to the new season.

"The engine mapping technical directives, which have now been out for a few months, are very clear," said Gillan, when asked by AUTOSPORT about the situation during Barcelona testing.

"How you direct the exhausts is clear as well. As we can see down the pitlane, there are various options and we are investigating all of those options to see what benefit we can get.

"There's definitely performance to be had, but it's nowhere near the performance levels that we had last year. From our side, we have a good idea of the boundaries. There are a few minor technical directives coming out in terms of what is acceptable and what is not, but they are minor compared to the ones that came out in the tail end of last season."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97662

Excellent! Thanks for the post mate.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Thats good news thanks a lot Scuderia fan

from what they are saying.. no team was using it?
    is this the same thing people were talking about how the bulls sounded different under breaking?
    we're number one

no worries guys.

3 guess who the 'engine manufacturer' that complained is.
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 23rd February 2012 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    no worries guys.

3 guess who the 'engine manufacturer' is.
    is it Renault???

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Fan View Post
    only people writing ferrari off is in this very thread and thats the sad part. this is not "news and pic thread" but rather "gossip/rumour and pics thread"
    Oh you would be surprised if you knew... I hear from every side that Ferrari has troubles, it's kinda frustrating. I hope our guys can prove them wrong.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    is it Renault???
    Or Infinity?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Oh you would be surprised if you knew... I hear from every side that Ferrari has troubles, it's kinda frustrating. I hope our guys can prove them wrong.
    If you "know" something than offer it up. Otherwise cut it out with the veiled innuendo.

Well, I am not an expert, but around 2', you can see that RB turns like a train, indeed. Ferrari, not... Too oversteering?

Quote Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
    If you "know" something than offer it up. Otherwise cut it out with the veiled innuendo.
    I was saying, that this thread is not the only place dooming Ferrari. What are you talking about, that I was trying to offend somebody ? And by the way... I offered this thread more than you for all your existence on these forums. Stay cool please, I am here giving/recieving information not to argue with people.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

i see what you mean. would be good to know what the tyres and fuel loads are though. they could be major factors

Quote Originally Posted by Naeem View Post
    Just so people don't pay the victim too much, McCows have had a couple innovations banned F-Duct, the rear differential. Rb are having their EBD tech banned. Renault their Mass Damper. I could go on.
    The only one that I cannot understand, is the Mass Damper.
    F-Duct: It is a movable aerodynamic device or not? I want your opinion. Also, F-duck requires a slit at the RW, making it, effectively 3 parts, not 2. I don't care about the technicality that "allowed" FIA to approve it.

What is the rear differential you talk about? Unless of course you mean about the fornt differential of Honda 007(?) (The 2004 car)

Just a polite reminder that we like to keep this place friendly guys, try to debate the forum member's posts if you have an issue and try not to make it personal We're all Ferrari fans here (well except for a very small few that are involved in some bizarre, twisted, fantasy but I digress)....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post
    the sudden loss of downforce mid corner had nothing to do with the exhaust...some pieces were made incorrect...the new pieces have solved this issue..now there is no sudden loss of downforce according to Alonso they just lack downforce at the rear...read his article from yesterday...

I think this is just a planned test, with different exhaust positions to check if the data they have is correct or not...
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion