Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: First Barcelona Test 21st-24th Feb 2012 - news and pics

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    Yes i agree that our drivers will make the difference, especially Fernando, but still i thought with all the work gone into making this car what it is, i was hoping it was gonna b quick out of the box straight away, but yes i know, im asking for too much too early!!
    Two tenths behind the fastest car (if RB will be fastest) in the field is not fast? The biggest advantage of the new car is it's uncovered speed, which should be found during the season.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

all those tenths are speculation guys. they don't know antyhing about the upgrades which Red Bull and Ferrari are going to add.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRebel40 View Post
    all those tenths are speculation guys. they don't know antyhing about the upgrades which Red Bull and Ferrari are going to add.
    Speculation is right... I remember last year s testing reports were that ferrari were about 4 tenths behind RB and we all know it was a hell of alot more than that come melbourne.. all we can do is just wait and see...
    "That has made me fall in love with Ferrari even more today than ever." Fernando Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post
    we are 0.5 behind but we will gain 0.3 at the next test red bull will lose 0.2 but they will bring some updates too lets say they will gain 0.2, that means we will be just 0.2 behind red bull in melbourne and thats good with a new car with a huge developement room.
    wow i didnt know you were a ferrari and red bull employe. can you also tell me the winning lottery number?

30 pages and only few posts have proper NEWS and PICS. yes all my latest posts have been about this whole issue but i get home and see there is 12 new pages to read and get all excited but instantly im dissapointed because only a few posts contain actual news and the rest is just rumours.

an idea for the mods if they dont hate my whining already. create a RUMOUR/GUESSING thread next to this one and keep this proper sources because these guessing games are just stupid and ruin a news/pic thread like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post
    some shitty teams do their fuel cosumpion test and stop the session 10min before the end
    you need to stick to your IM-A-ALONSO-FAN-AND-EVERYBODY-ELSE-SUCKS forum because this place is pretty neutral and friendly to all F1 and certainly dont bash other teams because how they run their testing.

Guys, again, let's keep this civil.... I have no problem with the rumours in this thread, but if other forum members prefer just news maybe we can work something out.... however keep in mind that in testing, there wont be much news from anyone.... it's all a guessing game....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Ferrari:

- The next test will begin on 2 March, again at the Circuit de Catalunya with Felipe Massa driving the new car.

- Before, on 28 and 29 February, we will have two filming days on the same circuit.

Oh noes our sister team is faster than us by 1.2 seconds, doom and gloom guys, doom and gloom...

Really guys? 0.5 tenths behind red bull? 0.2 to be lost by red bull? 0.1 tenths gained today? I don't think even ferrari has that amount of detail . Although Joseluise has been an interesting source of information (even quoted him a couple of times), that bit of info has definitely originated from the posterior region.This whole testing session has been hilarious to watch. Despite Ferrari making it a point to mention before every test, for our benefit, that we ought not to be worried cause they are gathering data, we go ahead and panic, and now that the data gathering is coming to a close and Ferrari are focusing a little more on performance we are all relieved that we have improved. We're just getting started, so hold on to your horses and thank the lord we aren't running the team.

Edit: Apparently Joseluise was joking when he put out those numbers, makes sense now .
    Last edited by zeus2; 24th February 2012 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Fan View Post

you need to stick to your IM-A-ALONSO-FAN-AND-EVERYBODY-ELSE-SUCKS forum because this place is pretty neutral and friendly to all F1 and certainly dont bash other teams because how they run their testing.
    It may be legal, but it doesn't mean everyone should agree with it.

Every time a car stops, its red flag and so you are messing up other team's testing program. Especially when you do it towards the end of the session, that missing few laps may have been important for other team.

joseluisf1:

• After several days of individual tests it has been the whole floor + diffuser + position of exhausts that have given the best results
    • There were other unspecified parts
    • He put on the first setup, the results were acceptable, slight improvement in traction and overall balance, with some understeer
    • Finally another setup was tested, and other software, which took a long time, it's expected to reduce the time of these operations
    • With the last setup, the traction improved more , the car was more neutral. Changes in the suspensions improved the degradation of the Pirelli's.
    • An important point is the high level of reliability that has been achieved at this time
    • Another very important point is that the car responded as expected by the engineers to the setup changes
    • Still some weaknesses, they still lack traction and more downforce at the exit of corners, although the latter point also improved
    • Hamashima believes that there is still much room for improvement in the management of Pirelli, will recommend changes (unspecified)

Massa:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97682

Most important part:

"I think more than five," he said when asked how prepared Ferrari is on a scale of one to ten, "but there is still work to be done to be closer to where we want. But at least we made a good step to find the direction."

Felipe Massa is convinced Ferrari has finally found the direction that will allow the team to unlock all the potential from its 2012 challenger.

The Italian squad has endured a difficult pre-season so far, as it worked on getting to grips with the radical F2012 car with which it hopes to return to winning ways this season.

Massa completed his two days of work at Barcelona today, covering over 100 laps for the first time this year and finishing as fifth quickest.

The Brazilian believes that after a difficult final morning, Ferrari made a breakthrough in the afternoon that will allow the team to finally extract the best from the car.

"I think it's definitely the direction we need to follow for these last days of testing we have, and I think today was a positive day, not so much in the morning but in the afternoon," Massa told reporters.

"I have to say that now we are a little bit more positive because we found the direction to work and I'm sure now, having found the direction, we can see the development coming.

"In the afternoon we were able to do more than eight/nine timed laps consistently. The laps were very consistent and it was very positive. We still need to work a lot but at least we found the direction to get a much better car to drive, not just for laptime for also for consistency."

He added: "In the past we didn't have so many directions to follow. This year we have so many directions, so many possibilities and the most important thing was to find the right one, and I'm sure we found it."

Massa conceded, however, there is still a lot of work left to do before the car is where the team wants it.

"I think more than five," he said when asked how prepared Ferrari is on a scale of one to ten, "but there is still work to be done to be closer to where we want. But at least we made a good step to find the direction."

Just to clarify thing...those thents aren't even speculation...
    They where a joke made by Joseluis...

Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    It may be legal, but it doesn't mean everyone should agree with it.

Every time a car stops, its red flag and so you are messing up other team's testing program. Especially when you do it towards the end of the session, that missing few laps may have been important for other team.

there is an unwritten rule to do it when, the track is not at his best, or when you don't really hinder people....
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    joseluisf1:

• After several days of individual tests it has been the whole floor + diffuser + position of exhausts that have given the best results
    • There were other unspecified parts
    • He put on the first setup, the results were acceptable, slight improvement in traction and overall balance, with some understeer
    • Finally another setup was tested, and other software, which took a long time, it's expected to reduce the time of these operations
    • With the last setup, the traction improved more , the car was more neutral. Changes in the suspensions improved the degradation of the Pirelli's.
    • An important point is the high level of reliability that has been achieved at this time
    • Another very important point is that the car responded as expected by the engineers to the setup changes
    • Still some weaknesses, they still lack traction and more downforce at the exit of corners, although the latter point also improved
    • Hamashima believes that there is still much room for improvement in the management of Pirelli, will recommend changes (unspecified)
    #
    Atleast bits of wat this guy says is true...
    this is probably wat Massa is talkin about...

Mark Webber not writing off Ferrari's chances of strong start to F1 season

Mark Webber thinks it would be wrong to write off Ferrari's chances of starting the Formula 1 season strongly, with the early form guide pointing towards Red Bull and McLaren as favourites.

Although Ferrari has failed to shine in the first two pre-season tests, Webber knows that winter running can potentially count for nothing at the first race - especially since the team has a driver like Fernando Alonso on board.

"As long as Fernando has a steering wheel in his hand he is always there," said Webber. "So you can never discount Fernando.

"I think McLaren look pretty well prepared, but we have seen it in the past where people are not very organised in the winter but then arrive at the first race extremely organised.

"We are focused on ourselves. We have a lot of work to do in Milton Keynes over the next five or six days to prepare the car for the next test, and then there is a huge workload for Melbourne.

"The test has been put back by one day, so that makes Melbourne a bit tighter, but in the end we have gathered a lot of information in the last two tests."

Webber feels satisfied with the progress that Red Bull is making, but has expressed some eagerness to get on with the first race.

"Winter testing has gone pretty well in terms of starting quite well with the RB8," he said. "I'm feeling positive and looking forward to the first race.

"We all like driving F1 cars in testing, but the racing is when it really starts because we also have to stop guesstimating - talking about who is quick and who is slow."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97683

So we did 100 laps, great, now WDC & WCC are certainly ours :)
    Last edited by MRRabbit; 24th February 2012 at 17:16.
    Forza Melanie C!

I will lend my 2 cents to the opinions. I think Ferrari are 2 seconds FASTER than Red Bull & McLaren! I also think Ferrari can be an even 5 seconds a lap FASTER than Red Bull & McLaren when they start the 1st race. I think that is a good counter point to all of the "Ferrari are behind people" posting out there! I say Ferrari are 5 second FASTER than anybody else "Especially with all of the Data I am seeing"! LOL.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

A "Hard" day for Felipe at Montmelo http://bit.ly/xAoCzx” >>>because he's ****

@InsideFerrari your being to kind to massa, the only reason he still has a seat is for 'financial issues'

Which financial reasons? Just curious...

ever since i can remember ferrari have never been afraid of paying alot of money to end a contract

So do you think we are short of money?

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

No doubt there will be more cases of cheating resulting in a verbal punch up just like the previous 2 seasons:-
    DDD & EBD.
    Musn't forgetting the mass damper & F-duct of previous years.
    Oh well,as Bernie says its good for the sport because he will make $$$$$$$
    I just hope he is on good terms with Ferrari & bored with Red Bull.

Scarbs Ferrari F2012 Launch Analysis:

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ferrari-f2012/

Quote Originally Posted by dpiatto View Post
    No doubt there will be more cases of cheating resulting in a verbal punch up just like the previous 2 seasons:-
    DDD & EBD.
    Musn't forgetting the mass damper & F-duct of previous years.
    Oh well,as Bernie says its good for the sport because he will make $$$$$$$
    I just hope he is on good terms with Ferrari & bored with Red Bull.
    concorde agreement coming up. i think he will be fawning over ferrari
    great day today.

finally, they have found a baseline, and tested a lot of what they needed. now they can get on with doing the same with the other teams. the 2 filming days should help getting Ferrari a little caught up as well.

EDIT: A hundred reasons for a first smile

Montmelò, 24 February – On its eighth day of testing the F2012 broke through the 100-lap barrier that had almost seemed like a dream. Despite a long pause round the lunch hour, necessary to carry out an important set-up change at the front of the car, Felipe Massa managed to complete 103 laps of the Circuit de Catalunya, equivalent to about 470km. The final timesheets matter little – the 1.23.563 earned fifth place on the day’s classification – but much more meaningful was the smile on Felipe’s face as he came into the motorhome where the journalists were gathered for the usual end-of-test press meeting.

“Yes, I am happy: not only because we finally did so much mileage without problems but above all because we managed to improve the car in a significant way,” said the Brazilian driver. “The situation has changed above all compared to the morning, especially from the point of view of consistency of the lap times. The important thing is that, after having evaluated so many solutions, both on the exhausts and at the front, we are now taking a direction in which we can work to get the best set-up. There’s still a lot to do, for example on the exits of corners, but I’m satisfied and from the next Barcelona test we will be able to really start true and meaningful testing.”

Felipe added: “Today we could certainly have done a better lap time but that wasn’t our target. We had so many things to test over the course of these few days and our priority was to identify what is worth working on for the early races. We managed that and now we can concentrate on those areas with a large margin for improvement, like set-up and how to use the tyres. In the afternoon we were able to do some long series of laps with pretty consistent times, which I didn’t manage in the morning. The warm-up, that had been a particular problem for me in recent years, is also much improved – so much that I can consistently put together a time on the first lap. The car doesn’t have anything new on it but it’s definitely improved since Jerez.”

The positive day has not however stopped Felipe from keeping his feet on the ground about the chances for the first race and the season as a whole. “We are ready to fight but it’s impossible to say how we really compare to the others,” replied the Brazilian when asked if he could send a message of hope to the Ferrari tifosi. “We will discover that only when we all run with low fuel and soft tyres at the same time on the track, which will be during qualifying for Melbourne. Today people can say whatever they want but until we are all in the same conditions words count little. It’s true that I’ve seen some strong teams: Red Bull above all but also others like Sauber, Force India and Williams if you look at this week’s times.”

Felipe was also asked if he was getting used to the idea that his future with Ferrari could be decided based on results: “No, absolutely not. I’m heading into the season aiming to do my best, inside and outside the car, as I look to be competitive and to be able to fight for the most important goals like wins and results. If you drive with your mind on anything else you won’t do your own work properly.”
    http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...rst-smile.aspx

interesting how he says that nothing new was on the car since Jerez
    but the rest is a huge this is beginning to stretch its legs, and i love this.

Today people can say whatever they want but until we are all in the same conditions words count little.
    in my experience as a fan, Ferrari come back the best when they have been written off to an extent.
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 24th February 2012 at 18:15.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Scuderia Ferrari

A hundred reasons for a first smile

Montmelò, 24 February – On its eighth day of testing the F2012 broke through the 100-lap barrier that had almost seemed like a dream. Despite a long pause round the lunch hour, necessary to carry out an important set-up change at the front of the car, Felipe Massa managed to complete 103 laps of the Circuit de Catalunya, equivalent to about 470km. The final timesheets matter little – the 1.23.563 earned fifth place on the day’s classification but much more meaningful was the smile on Felipe’s face as he came into the motorhome where the journalists were gathered for the usual end-of-test press meeting

“Yes, I am happy: not only because we finally did so much mileage without problems but above all because we managed to improve the car in a significant way,” said the Brazilian driver. “The situation has changed above all compared to the morning, especially from the point of view of consistency of the lap times. The important thing is that, after having evaluated so many solutions, both on the exhausts and at the front, we are now taking a direction in which we can work to get the best set-up. There’s still a lot to do, for example on the exits of corners, but I’m satisfied and from the next Barcelona test we will be able to really start true and meaningful testing.”

Felipe added: “Today we could certainly have done a better lap time but that wasn’t our target. We had so many things to test over the course of these few days and our priority was to identify what is worth working on for the early races. We managed that and now we can concentrate on those areas with a large margin for improvement, like set-up and how to use the tyres. In the afternoon we were able to do some long series of laps with pretty consistent times, which I didn’t manage in the morning. The warm-up, that had been a particular problem for me in recent years, is also much improved – so much that I can consistently put together a time on the first lap. The car doesn’t have anything new on it but it’s definitely improved since Jerez.”

The positive day has not however stopped Felipe from keeping his feet on the ground about the chances for the first race and the season as a whole. “We are ready to fight but it’s impossible to say how we really compare to the others,” replied the Brazilian when asked if he could send a message of hope to the Ferrari tifosi. “We will discover that only when we all run with low fuel and soft tyres at the same time on the track, which will be during qualifying for Melbourne. Today people can say whatever they want but until we are all in the same conditions words count little. It’s true that I’ve seen some strong teams: Red Bull above all but also others like Sauber, Force India and Williams if you look at this week’s times.”

Felipe was also asked if he was getting used to the idea that his future with Ferrari could be decided based on results: “No, absolutely not. I’m heading into the season aiming to do my best, inside and outside the car, as I look to be competitive and to be able to fight for the most important goals like wins and results. If you drive with your mind on anything else you won’t do your own work properly.”
    No Risk, No Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Axelsson View Post
    Scuderia Ferrari

A hundred reasons for a first smile

Montmelò, 24 February – On its eighth day of testing the F2012 broke through the 100-lap barrier that had almost seemed like a dream. Despite a long pause round the lunch hour, necessary to carry out an important set-up change at the front of the car, Felipe Massa managed to complete 103 laps of the Circuit de Catalunya, equivalent to about 470km. The final timesheets matter little – the 1.23.563 earned fifth place on the day’s classification but much more meaningful was the smile on Felipe’s face as he came into the motorhome where the journalists were gathered for the usual end-of-test press meeting

Nice to see things are going better and better.
    Forza.

The positive day has not however stopped Felipe from keeping his feet on the ground about the chances for the first race and the season as a whole. “We are ready to fight but it’s impossible to say how we really compare to the others,” replied the Brazilian when asked if he could send a message of hope to the Ferrari tifosi. “We will discover that only when we all run with low fuel and soft tyres at the same time on the track, which will be during qualifying for Melbourne. Today people can say whatever they want but until we are all in the same conditions words count little.

Best quote I've seen in a while!!! #TIFOSI

The warm-up, that had been a particular problem for me in recent years, is also much improved – so much that I can consistently put together a time on the first lap.
    You better be telling the truth, Felipe... *crosses fingers*

This all sounds really positive, and even if we're not quite there for Australia... meh - I prefer a fightback anyway
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    You better be telling the truth, Felipe... *crosses fingers*

This all sounds really positive, and even if we're not quite there for Australia... meh - I prefer a fightback anyway
    It's more exciting isn't it?

Ferrari will be having a filming day soon, i hope they get to try out new parts and new setups away from the public eye. The next test should give a good indicator as to where Ferrari are with their competitors.

Btw did anyone hear Martin Whitmarsh saying that the front runners can probably go a few seconds faster if they would have tried?
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

I'm happy now!

Ferrari has found the right direction - Massa

I feel very positive about our progress.
    Forza Ferrari!
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times