Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161728 ... LastLast

Thread: First Barcelona Test 21st-24th Feb 2012 - news and pics

Ferrari should forfeit their collective testing days as well and pound around Fiorano which would cost them nothing as opposed to contributing to the collective tests.

Red Bull has clever exhaust solution - Caubet

Red Bull has devised a "clever" way of reclaiming some of the downforce lost through the banning of blown diffusers.

That is the claim of Jean Francois Caubet, who is in charge of the team’s engine supplier Renault.

Red Bull, the reigning back to back world champions, and Renault Sport F1 have worked more closely than ever before ahead of their 2012 title defence.

"Formula one is about creativity," Caubet is quoted by Germany’s Auto Bild, "and although the rules have changed, we have worked with Red Bull and found a solution to compensate for the loss of performance."

Last year, the cars acquired extra downforce through the ’blowing’ of hot engine exhaust gases into the diffuser, even when the driver was off the throttle.

It is rumoured that, despite the FIA’s ban, some teams have flown close to the letter of the new rules with their new solutions.

"It is not the same as before," Caubet continued, "but a clever development that could make the difference."

After the first week of testing at Jerez recently, some observed that Adrian Newey’s new Red Bull RB8 was cornering as though on rails.

"That’s because we all used to play with model trains," joked team owner Dietrich Mateschitz.

Added Newey: "The exhaust is one of the areas in which we still have some ideas up our sleeves."

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari2183 View Post
    Ferrari should forfeit their collective testing days as well and pound around Fiorano which would cost them nothing as opposed to contributing to the collective tests.

Well it would be easier wouldn't it? We wouldn't need to wait for new parts to be flown out, and we wouldn't have the media ripping into us about being too slow either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    Well it would be easier wouldn't it? We wouldn't need to wait for new parts to be flown out, and we wouldn't have the media ripping into us about being too slow either.
    And no prying eyes.

Maybe it has something to do with the nature of the track? Maybe Fiorano isn't as technical and demanding on cars like Barcelona is?

EDIT: This is a wild guess but maybe it also has something to do with their sponsors? (Santander)
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    Fiorano is a go-kart track says Luca Di
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Fiorano is a go-kart track says Luca Di
    Then test at Mugello.

Well the talk from Mercedes is a "Plain Vanilla" 2012 race car, as stated by Haug. The Red Bull obviously have their "Wings" clipped to a great degree and are working on developing the "Details" on their 2011' race car. Ferrari has gone "Super Radical" compared to the other teams and seem to have the most work infront of them to make the car work properly. McLaren seem to have gone for developing the "Details" on the 2011' race car, like Red Bull to get more out of the existing package less the EBD. Lotus has a stable, basic car like the new Mercedes. This is my read on the top teams and what they are running.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Then test at Mugello.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    Well the talk from Mercedes is a "Plain Vanilla" 2012 race car, as stated by Haug. The Red Bull obviously have their "Wings" clipped to a great degree and are working on developing the "Details" on their 2011' race car. Ferrari has gone "Super Radical" compared to the other teams and seem to have the most work infront of them to make the car work properly. McLaren seem to have gone for developing the "Details" on the 2011' race car, like Red Bull to get more out of the existing package less the EBD. Lotus has a stable, basic car like the new Mercedes. This is my read on the top teams and what they are running.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!
    I don't think it is that simple. That Renault engine guy has me concerned about what they came up with in place of the off throttle blowing. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the secu so I am assuming it is mechanical.

Then test at Mugello.
    Not possible due to the noise pollution laws in Italy.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Not possible due to the noise pollution laws in Italy.
    Why are all the teams testing there in May then?

Why are all the teams testing there in May then?
    Because they have permission to do so
    Forza Ferrari

So should Ferrari want to do a straight line test at Vairano they would first seek permission from the authorities?

Mugello etc have limits to how much track running they can do due to noise pollution bill from about 2000. They need those days for the events they run.

Mugello is cold and not a very good idea to spend our winter testing in cold Italy, we used to be like that and it never changed much but limited our track time mostly due to bad weather.
    Forza Ferrari

And no prying eyes.
    I agree completely. It would be nice to test at Fiorano with no prying eyes at home. I know this is the Beacelona thread but I found video of the F2012 at Jerez having some problems in the corners. Let's hope this is sorted in BCN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k08VORuwUQ <-- 25 seconds into the video

Quote Originally Posted by Fer12 View Post
    Red Bull has clever exhaust solution - Caubet

Red Bull has devised a "clever" way of reclaiming some of the downforce lost through the banning of blown diffusers.

That is the claim of Jean Francois Caubet, who is in charge of the team’s engine supplier Renault.

Red Bull, the reigning back to back world champions, and Renault Sport F1 have worked more closely than ever before ahead of their 2012 title defence.

"Formula one is about creativity," Caubet is quoted by Germany’s Auto Bild, "and although the rules have changed, we have worked with Red Bull and found a solution to compensate for the loss of performance."

Last year, the cars acquired extra downforce through the ’blowing’ of hot engine exhaust gases into the diffuser, even when the driver was off the throttle.

It is rumoured that, despite the FIA’s ban, some teams have flown close to the letter of the new rules with their new solutions.

"It is not the same as before," Caubet continued, "but a clever development that could make the difference."

After the first week of testing at Jerez recently, some observed that Adrian Newey’s new Red Bull RB8 was cornering as though on rails.

"That’s because we all used to play with model trains," joked team owner Dietrich Mateschitz.

Added Newey: "The exhaust is one of the areas in which we still have some ideas up our sleeves."

i hope this is all bunch of crap, coming from BILD and knowing how true their rumors are; i SERIOUSLY cannot take another Red Cow's domination for a third year in a row.
    so hopefully the guys in Maranello have looked at the data from the week of testing at Jerez, took the right path of development, designed the right parts and hopefully we'll have a TROUBLE FREE running this week at BCN

Also i'm hoping that our car will ALSO LOOK LIKE IT'S ON RAILS and way better looking (and by that i mean WAY faster) then the RAPED COWS, Red Fools, Red Cows....whatever you want to call THAT THING...
    Last edited by FerrariF60; 20th February 2012 at 14:58.
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

JoseLuisF1:

"In these tests we may be able to guess if someone can stand up to the Red Bull, because RB8s cornering at Jerez was awesome"
    "Traction and balance displayed by the RB8, you can still improve, was insulting, McLaren could only follow them very far"
    "If Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes can not compete with RB this year, I fear that it will take but not to 2013 to 2014"
    "If Ferrari has finally managed to solve the problems of F2012, things change, then one car to compete with Red Bull"
    "For the F2012 by design and part you are going to put a car is very, very fast"

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    I agree completely. It would be nice to test at Fiorano with no prying eyes at home. I know this is the Beacelona thread but I found video of the F2012 at Jerez having some problems in the corners. Let's hope this is sorted in BCN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k08VORuwUQ <-- 25 seconds into the video
    Looks a real mess in that video. They need to get on top of traction and balance issues.

The car was snaking all over the place under power there.

Sauber C31 - vented chassis/nosecone:

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2012/0/933.html

The new Mercedes W03:

Very different positioning of exhausts

Quote Originally Posted by Fer12 View Post
    Very different positioning of exhausts
    it sure is different, so if the exhaust is here:

Attachment 4571

what would be its benefit?? as we've seen so far most teams have the exhausts way more at the back so they can either blow the beam wing and/or the rear brake ducts.
    from the looks of the Merc's exhaust position it can't really be doing much blowing in regards to the rear wing; unless i'm missing something.

unless this was just a shakedown exhaust and probably they will show up at the next set of testing days and also the last test with something similar to ours
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Must be nice to be Michael. He gets beat by Nico the last two years and still ends up with the odd numbered car.

comparison between the F2012 and the Mercedes W03:

the sidepods are quite similar but without the acer exhaust channel.
    Last edited by OSS EL BOSS; 20th February 2012 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post
    comparison between the F2012 and the Mercedes W03:

the sidepods are quite similar but without the acer exhaust channel.
    They're also running the cooling inlet behind the air intake as well.

the side pods are very similar to ours...is this Aldo Costa
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

T van R Guest
    Red Bull new solution is an alarm signal for other teams. As always i suspect sneaky Mercedes has something new with their car, but Red Bull is always a threat. That Red Bull exhaust news is not rumor, they are real.

nah, i think W02 also had these kinds of sidepods. nice car, tight coke bottle.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo