+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 1059

Thread: First Barcelona Test 21st-24th Feb 2012 - news and pics

  1. #511
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Maple, Canada
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    i still think that Ferrari/Alonso may be hiding a couple of ACES up their sleeves; there is NO WAY our F2012 is that much off pace....i REFUSE to believe that

    what if on last day of testing Ferrari will pull a fast one on both Red Fools and McMowers, just like they did in 2004 with their F2004 machine when everyone thought Ferrari were all doomed....see this LINK and hopefully we'll be doing this OVER AGAIN:

    http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/4...es-lap-record/
    That is a great article! I miss those days when we tore up the time sheets. I sure hope your right about those aces in their sleeves! I have faith!!! Forza Ferrari
    "As long as Fernando has a steering wheel in his hand he is always there" - Mark Webber
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

  2. #512
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    home
    Posts
    114
    [QUOTE=FerrariF60;710352]Who says we’re OFF pace?? Did Ferrari come out and say that we’re slow, that our intention of being aggressive in our design has turned out to be not fast enough???
    As far as I can remember I don’t think I’ve seen such comments from Ferrari or even our drivers.
    So until I see black on white confirmation from our team, that we indeed are slower than our main rivals, I tend to believe that we’re going to be OK and that is only taking time for such a BRAND NEW CAR we have to iron out the details and compare all possible combinations of set ups that are going to make us quicker, QUICKER than ANYONE out there.

    Forza Ferrari.[/QUOTE

    My opinion we are slower.

  3. #513
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nasilerianurah
    Posts
    71
    [QUOTE=Hermann;710335]You can still see the bodywork deforming here, i don't think this is really 'solved':

    [url]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/6276/f2012deformationbcn.png

    That is the pic from the first tests.

  4. #514
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    1,992
    Hopefully no reliability problems today and 100+ laps. Not looking at times, just want good direction and progress for the car.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

  5. #515
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,167
    joseluisf1:

    "The main problem to be faster is, above others, the lack of traction output which penalizes the curves"
    "The problem comes from the lack of downforce to the output of the curves, DF is not lost as before, but it needs to generate more"
    "This lack of DF and the consequent lack of traction causes more wear on tires than teams with more downforce"
    "Moreover, the lack of traction forces to use a motor map of the pair just for the wheels do not skid even more"
    "In principle, the burden aerodunámica and balance (other deficiency) should improve when you put all the pieces together aerodynamic"
    "However, the expected 'big improvement' will not arrive until at least the next test in Barcelona where there will be significant new pieces"

    "The team will decide whether to put all the pieces and diverdas and test combinations, or put them in a progressive or 'incremental'"
    "The pieces have to try them one by one to see if they work and how. Which, logically, that the car does not behave properly"
    "When all are working together and with the proper setup, we can get an idea of ​​how it will really test the F2012 in these"
    "
    Last edited by medeni73; 23rd February 2012 at 08:04.

  6. #516
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    973
    I believe that the real worry at the moment is not having been able to do some really good and consistent long runs with the new car.

    True, Alonso is saying that it doesn't really matter whether you are able to simulate a race or not (on the basis of the fact that they did it during last year's testing), but personally I believe that, with more limited testing when compared to older times, clocking a good number of kilometers is directly correlated with being able to understand the car better, setting it up more effectively, etc.

    My feeling is that the car is either very good, but its real potential is not being unleashed yet, or that it has a few fundamental fatal flaws that are making it impossible to get it running seriously. In the old days, by this time, we would be clocking hundreds of laps and race simulations.

    Don't forget that the guys at Red Bull are "incessantly practicing pitstops - rolling up, changing wheels and then repeating" according to Autosport - it goes a long way to show the level of preparedness these guys have reached already, as opposed to be building and shipping new parts and doing 3-4 lap stints to learn the complexities of the car, which is what Ferrari is allegedly stuck with at the moment.

  7. #517
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    968
    Hello F2002, nice to see another Ferrarista from Malta!
    Felipe sei nell nostro cuore!

  8. #518
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    973
    Bongu siehbi.

    Good morning mate.

  9. #519
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    Bongu siehbi.

    Good morning mate.
    Bongu :) Xita biss bhalissa [good morning, rainy days so far here]
    Felipe sei nell nostro cuore!

  10. #520
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,167
    yes RBs are making pitstop practices already as if they've finished car setup... so much ahead of everyone or a bit too overconfident??? RB is doing that what Ferrari did last year this time so hopefully the history will repeat :)

  11. #521
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    968
    I wouldn't worry too much, I'd rather Ferrari iron out the reliability issues before the real racing starts so let them just do their own agenda. The new car is all to discover still.
    Felipe sei nell nostro cuore!

  12. #522
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    yes RBs are making pitstop practices already as if they've finished car setup... so much ahead of everyone or a bit too overconfident??? RB is doing that what Ferrari did last year this time so hopefully the history will repeat :)
    Considering where they finished last year, you'd have to assume that they are strong.

    Not overconfident perhaps, but simply making sure that they get the details right. We know the stories....

  13. #523
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    joseluisf1:

    "The main problem to be faster is, above others, the lack of traction output which penalizes the curves"
    "The problem comes from the lack of downforce to the output of the curves, DF is not lost as before, but it needs to generate more"
    "This lack of DF and the consequent lack of traction causes more wear on tires than teams with more downforce"
    "Moreover, the lack of traction forces to use a motor map of the pair just for the wheels do not skid even more"
    "In principle, the burden aerodunámica and balance (other deficiency) should improve when you put all the pieces together aerodynamic"
    "However, the expected 'big improvement' will not arrive until at least the next test in Barcelona where there will be significant new pieces"

    "The team will decide whether to put all the pieces and diverdas and test combinations, or put them in a progressive or 'incremental'"
    "The pieces have to try them one by one to see if they work and how. Which, logically, that the car does not behave properly"
    "When all are working together and with the proper setup, we can get an idea of ​​how it will really test the F2012 in these"
    "
    So, if I understand this correctly, Felipe and the team will basically continue , as per the last two days, to test 'pieces' related to the possible problem areas of traction output, esp. on corners, lack of downforce and balance. A long, unspectacular slog and we shouldn't expect to see anything significant until test 3 next week when the new pieces , tested this week, will be assembled progressively or incrementally next week?

    I'm not sure I understand the difference between assembly 'progressively' or 'incrementally ' but thank you for this.

    Is it time for coffee yet?

  14. #524
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the difference between assembly 'progressively' or 'incrementally ' but thank you for this.
    They will either deploy all the parts together and test different combinations, or deploy them one-by-one (progressively) to see the incremental effect of each part.

    The second option sounds more time consuming to me.

  15. #525
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    762
    I just don´t know why. But reading how bad things look and bla bla bla, I just have another feeling. I always keep my feet on the ground and keeping my hopes down, but somehow I just feel this car is a winner, once sorted out. Just the look of it has winner written all over it.
    Even if we are not there in Australia it wouldn´t be the end of the world. We can´t afford to wait halfway through the year to start winning races, but we could wait 3-4 races for them to get the ultimate pace.
    I really don´t care about the times right now. But it would feel nice to see Ferrari do many many laps and just get the car running.

  16. #526
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    294
    Twitter:

    "According to the FIA ​​technical Renault and Mercedes engines are still working with mapped ’off-throttle’."

  17. #527
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Uppingham, UK
    Posts
    17,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombre B View Post
    Twitter:

    "According to the FIA ​​technical Renault and Mercedes engines are still working with mapped ’off-throttle’."
    Yes I read this too. The software may be changed because Renault and Mercedes have found a loophole.


  18. #528
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    I believe that the real worry at the moment is not having been able to do some really good and consistent long runs with the new car.

    True, Alonso is saying that it doesn't really matter whether you are able to simulate a race or not (on the basis of the fact that they did it during last year's testing), but personally I believe that, with more limited testing when compared to older times, clocking a good number of kilometers is directly correlated with being able to understand the car better, setting it up more effectively, etc.

    My feeling is that the car is either very good, but its real potential is not being unleashed yet, or that it has a few fundamental fatal flaws that are making it impossible to get it running seriously. In the old days, by this time, we would be clocking hundreds of laps and race simulations.

    Don't forget that the guys at Red Bull are "incessantly practicing pitstops - rolling up, changing wheels and then repeating" according to Autosport - it goes a long way to show the level of preparedness these guys have reached already, as opposed to be building and shipping new parts and doing 3-4 lap stints to learn the complexities of the car, which is what Ferrari is allegedly stuck with at the moment.
    Ferrari has a BRAND NEW CAR the others already are well prepared because they have continuation from last years car what else do you expect from them ??

  19. #529
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Yes I read this too. The software may be changed because Renault and Mercedes have found a loophole.
    if their engines are still mapped for off-throttle blowing, how could that be beneficial since the exhausts are already relocated and not directly aimed at the diffuser? is there another benefit there for exhaust blowing?

  20. #530
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam-Vincios
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by zuludemon View Post
    Laptime data over the stints....

    Im not saying its 100% doom and gloom cos i dont know.. i can only summize based upon what i see it could be completely wrong
    I hope you are
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

  21. #531
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Curbs View Post
    I just don´t know why. But reading how bad things look and bla bla bla, I just have another feeling. I always keep my feet on the ground and keeping my hopes down, but somehow I just feel this car is a winner, once sorted out. Just the look of it has winner written all over it.
    Even if we are not there in Australia it wouldn´t be the end of the world. We can´t afford to wait halfway through the year to start winning races, but we could wait 3-4 races for them to get the ultimate pace.
    I really don´t care about the times right now. But it would feel nice to see Ferrari do many many laps and just get the car running.
    I too agree with you , i think they will solve any issues and make this a winning car lets hope sooner rather than later :)

  22. #532
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by gazoz View Post
    I too agree with you , i think they will solve any issues and make this a winning car lets hope sooner rather than later :)
    @InsideFerrari: Today's programme is not too different from the previous days. We still have a lot to work on the car but we're moving forward.

  23. #533
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeswing View Post
    if their engines are still mapped for off-throttle blowing, how could that be beneficial since the exhausts are already relocated and not directly aimed at the diffuser? is there another benefit there for exhaust blowing?
    Of course it is. There is still a possibility to blow a beam wing or break ducts. And if they have found a loophole (I am not suprised that they are the ones pushing the rules to it's boundaries, not us) it could be devastating for us

    "If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

  24. #534
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT PALIO View Post
    @InsideFerrari: Today's programme is not too different from the previous days. We still have a lot to work on the car but we're moving forward.
    ...and i hope moving forward REAL FAST

  25. #535
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Of course it is. There is still a possibility to blow a beam wing or break ducts. And if they have found a loophole (I am not suprised that they are the ones pushing the rules to it's boundaries, not us) it could be devastating for us
    Ah, right... but then i thought the new rules state that engine map settings should be down to at least 20%? im not sure of that figure, but my point is its not supposed to be for any aerodynamic benefit.

  26. #536
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeswing View Post
    Ah, right... but then i thought the new rules state that engine map settings should be down to at least 20%? im not sure of that figure, but my point is its not supposed to be for any aerodynamic benefit.
    Oh you're right, as I read it now. They are still blowing but we don't know how much. If it's only up to that 20% it should not be a huge aero gain.

    "If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

  27. #537
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam-Vincios
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Oh you're right, as I read it now. They are still blowing but we don't know how much. If it's only up to that 20% it should not be a huge aero gain.

    1 % is still a gain, if we changed our front end just to get a little aero gain then this 20% is huge..IMO it should be banned completely, no loophole can be exploited especially if the FIA is aware of it, but we already seen that the FIA doesn't clamp down on RedBull as they do on us...

    ride height system was approved for Lotus , we say we have a similar system.. BAMMMM the FIA bans it...
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

  28. #538
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Piraeus - Hellas
    Posts
    1,657
    I have a feeling that Massa will do more than 100 laps today

  29. #539
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam-Vincios
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by sav_pap View Post
    I have a feeling that Massa will do more than 100 laps today
    I hope your right...
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

  30. #540
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by gazoz View Post
    Ferrari has a BRAND NEW CAR the others already are well prepared because they have continuation from last years car what else do you expect from them ??
    First of, we don't EXPECT anything. We're just fans, we don't have anything to expect, just enjoying the time when there is no racing by speculating on relative car performances from a purely outsider's perspective.

    One thing I'll remind you is that they stopped developing the 2011 car very early last year, to make sure that all resources are dedicated to the one for 2012. Sure, they may not be prepared fully for Melbourne (I certainly remember other times when Ferrari were never well prepared for the first races but then got up to speed during the European leg), but considering the strength of the competition and how championships have evolved recently, they'd need to sort themselves out quite quickly.

    In any case, this is once again an outsider's perspective - it may well be, as I said in an earlier post, that the car is just super strong and they're hiding it. Which is what all of us hope at the end of the day.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts