Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: First Barcelona Test 21st-24th Feb 2012 - news and pics

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    i still think that Ferrari/Alonso may be hiding a couple of ACES up their sleeves; there is NO WAY our F2012 is that much off pace....i REFUSE to believe that

what if on last day of testing Ferrari will pull a fast one on both Red Fools and McMowers, just like they did in 2004 with their F2004 machine when everyone thought Ferrari were all doomed....see this LINK and hopefully we'll be doing this OVER AGAIN:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/4...es-lap-record/
    That is a great article! I miss those days when we tore up the time sheets. I sure hope your right about those aces in their sleeves! I have faith!!! Forza Ferrari
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

[QUOTE=FerrariF60;710352]Who says we’re OFF pace?? Did Ferrari come out and say that we’re slow, that our intention of being aggressive in our design has turned out to be not fast enough???
    As far as I can remember I don’t think I’ve seen such comments from Ferrari or even our drivers.
    So until I see black on white confirmation from our team, that we indeed are slower than our main rivals, I tend to believe that we’re going to be OK and that is only taking time for such a BRAND NEW CAR we have to iron out the details and compare all possible combinations of set ups that are going to make us quicker, QUICKER than ANYONE out there.

Forza Ferrari.[/QUOTE

My opinion we are slower.

[QUOTE=Hermann;710335]You can still see the bodywork deforming here, i don't think this is really 'solved':

[url]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/6276/f2012deformationbcn.png

That is the pic from the first tests.

Hopefully no reliability problems today and 100+ laps. Not looking at times, just want good direction and progress for the car.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

joseluisf1:

"The main problem to be faster is, above others, the lack of traction output which penalizes the curves"
    "The problem comes from the lack of downforce to the output of the curves, DF is not lost as before, but it needs to generate more"
    "This lack of DF and the consequent lack of traction causes more wear on tires than teams with more downforce"
    "Moreover, the lack of traction forces to use a motor map of the pair just for the wheels do not skid even more"
    "In principle, the burden aerodunámica and balance (other deficiency) should improve when you put all the pieces together aerodynamic"
    "However, the expected 'big improvement' will not arrive until at least the next test in Barcelona where there will be significant new pieces"

"The team will decide whether to put all the pieces and diverdas and test combinations, or put them in a progressive or 'incremental'"
    "The pieces have to try them one by one to see if they work and how. Which, logically, that the car does not behave properly"
    "When all are working together and with the proper setup, we can get an idea of ​​how it will really test the F2012 in these"
    "
    Last edited by medeni73; 23rd February 2012 at 07:04.

I believe that the real worry at the moment is not having been able to do some really good and consistent long runs with the new car.

True, Alonso is saying that it doesn't really matter whether you are able to simulate a race or not (on the basis of the fact that they did it during last year's testing), but personally I believe that, with more limited testing when compared to older times, clocking a good number of kilometers is directly correlated with being able to understand the car better, setting it up more effectively, etc.

My feeling is that the car is either very good, but its real potential is not being unleashed yet, or that it has a few fundamental fatal flaws that are making it impossible to get it running seriously. In the old days, by this time, we would be clocking hundreds of laps and race simulations.

Don't forget that the guys at Red Bull are "incessantly practicing pitstops - rolling up, changing wheels and then repeating" according to Autosport - it goes a long way to show the level of preparedness these guys have reached already, as opposed to be building and shipping new parts and doing 3-4 lap stints to learn the complexities of the car, which is what Ferrari is allegedly stuck with at the moment.

Hello F2002, nice to see another Ferrarista from Malta!

Bongu siehbi.

Good morning mate.

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    Bongu siehbi.

Good morning mate.
    Bongu :) Xita biss bhalissa [good morning, rainy days so far here]

yes RBs are making pitstop practices already as if they've finished car setup... so much ahead of everyone or a bit too overconfident??? RB is doing that what Ferrari did last year this time so hopefully the history will repeat :)

I wouldn't worry too much, I'd rather Ferrari iron out the reliability issues before the real racing starts so let them just do their own agenda. The new car is all to discover still.

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    yes RBs are making pitstop practices already as if they've finished car setup... so much ahead of everyone or a bit too overconfident??? RB is doing that what Ferrari did last year this time so hopefully the history will repeat :)
    Considering where they finished last year, you'd have to assume that they are strong.

Not overconfident perhaps, but simply making sure that they get the details right. We know the stories....

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    joseluisf1:

"The main problem to be faster is, above others, the lack of traction output which penalizes the curves"
    "The problem comes from the lack of downforce to the output of the curves, DF is not lost as before, but it needs to generate more"
    "This lack of DF and the consequent lack of traction causes more wear on tires than teams with more downforce"
    "Moreover, the lack of traction forces to use a motor map of the pair just for the wheels do not skid even more"
    "In principle, the burden aerodunámica and balance (other deficiency) should improve when you put all the pieces together aerodynamic"
    "However, the expected 'big improvement' will not arrive until at least the next test in Barcelona where there will be significant new pieces"

"The team will decide whether to put all the pieces and diverdas and test combinations, or put them in a progressive or 'incremental'"
    "The pieces have to try them one by one to see if they work and how. Which, logically, that the car does not behave properly"
    "When all are working together and with the proper setup, we can get an idea of ​​how it will really test the F2012 in these"
    "
    So, if I understand this correctly, Felipe and the team will basically continue , as per the last two days, to test 'pieces' related to the possible problem areas of traction output, esp. on corners, lack of downforce and balance. A long, unspectacular slog and we shouldn't expect to see anything significant until test 3 next week when the new pieces , tested this week, will be assembled progressively or incrementally next week?

I'm not sure I understand the difference between assembly 'progressively' or 'incrementally ' but thank you for this.

Is it time for coffee yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the difference between assembly 'progressively' or 'incrementally ' but thank you for this.
    They will either deploy all the parts together and test different combinations, or deploy them one-by-one (progressively) to see the incremental effect of each part.

The second option sounds more time consuming to me.

I just don´t know why. But reading how bad things look and bla bla bla, I just have another feeling. I always keep my feet on the ground and keeping my hopes down, but somehow I just feel this car is a winner, once sorted out. Just the look of it has winner written all over it.
    Even if we are not there in Australia it wouldn´t be the end of the world. We can´t afford to wait halfway through the year to start winning races, but we could wait 3-4 races for them to get the ultimate pace.
    I really don´t care about the times right now. But it would feel nice to see Ferrari do many many laps and just get the car running.

Twitter:

"According to the FIA ​​technical Renault and Mercedes engines are still working with mapped ’off-throttle’."

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre B View Post
    Twitter:

"According to the FIA ​​technical Renault and Mercedes engines are still working with mapped ’off-throttle’."
    Yes I read this too. The software may be changed because Renault and Mercedes have found a loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    I believe that the real worry at the moment is not having been able to do some really good and consistent long runs with the new car.

True, Alonso is saying that it doesn't really matter whether you are able to simulate a race or not (on the basis of the fact that they did it during last year's testing), but personally I believe that, with more limited testing when compared to older times, clocking a good number of kilometers is directly correlated with being able to understand the car better, setting it up more effectively, etc.

My feeling is that the car is either very good, but its real potential is not being unleashed yet, or that it has a few fundamental fatal flaws that are making it impossible to get it running seriously. In the old days, by this time, we would be clocking hundreds of laps and race simulations.

Don't forget that the guys at Red Bull are "incessantly practicing pitstops - rolling up, changing wheels and then repeating" according to Autosport - it goes a long way to show the level of preparedness these guys have reached already, as opposed to be building and shipping new parts and doing 3-4 lap stints to learn the complexities of the car, which is what Ferrari is allegedly stuck with at the moment.
    Ferrari has a BRAND NEW CAR the others already are well prepared because they have continuation from last years car what else do you expect from them ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Yes I read this too. The software may be changed because Renault and Mercedes have found a loophole.
    if their engines are still mapped for off-throttle blowing, how could that be beneficial since the exhausts are already relocated and not directly aimed at the diffuser? is there another benefit there for exhaust blowing?

Quote Originally Posted by zuludemon View Post
    Laptime data over the stints....

Im not saying its 100% doom and gloom cos i dont know.. i can only summize based upon what i see it could be completely wrong
    I hope you are
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Curbs View Post
    I just don´t know why. But reading how bad things look and bla bla bla, I just have another feeling. I always keep my feet on the ground and keeping my hopes down, but somehow I just feel this car is a winner, once sorted out. Just the look of it has winner written all over it.
    Even if we are not there in Australia it wouldn´t be the end of the world. We can´t afford to wait halfway through the year to start winning races, but we could wait 3-4 races for them to get the ultimate pace.
    I really don´t care about the times right now. But it would feel nice to see Ferrari do many many laps and just get the car running.
    I too agree with you , i think they will solve any issues and make this a winning car lets hope sooner rather than later :)

Quote Originally Posted by gazoz View Post
    I too agree with you , i think they will solve any issues and make this a winning car lets hope sooner rather than later :)
    @InsideFerrari: Today's programme is not too different from the previous days. We still have a lot to work on the car but we're moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeswing View Post
    if their engines are still mapped for off-throttle blowing, how could that be beneficial since the exhausts are already relocated and not directly aimed at the diffuser? is there another benefit there for exhaust blowing?
    Of course it is. There is still a possibility to blow a beam wing or break ducts. And if they have found a loophole (I am not suprised that they are the ones pushing the rules to it's boundaries, not us) it could be devastating for us

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by FIAT PALIO View Post
    @InsideFerrari: Today's programme is not too different from the previous days. We still have a lot to work on the car but we're moving forward.
    ...and i hope moving forward REAL FAST

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Of course it is. There is still a possibility to blow a beam wing or break ducts. And if they have found a loophole (I am not suprised that they are the ones pushing the rules to it's boundaries, not us) it could be devastating for us
    Ah, right... but then i thought the new rules state that engine map settings should be down to at least 20%? im not sure of that figure, but my point is its not supposed to be for any aerodynamic benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeswing View Post
    Ah, right... but then i thought the new rules state that engine map settings should be down to at least 20%? im not sure of that figure, but my point is its not supposed to be for any aerodynamic benefit.
    Oh you're right, as I read it now. They are still blowing but we don't know how much. If it's only up to that 20% it should not be a huge aero gain.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Oh you're right, as I read it now. They are still blowing but we don't know how much. If it's only up to that 20% it should not be a huge aero gain.

1 % is still a gain, if we changed our front end just to get a little aero gain then this 20% is huge..IMO it should be banned completely, no loophole can be exploited especially if the FIA is aware of it, but we already seen that the FIA doesn't clamp down on RedBull as they do on us...

ride height system was approved for Lotus , we say we have a similar system.. BAMMMM the FIA bans it...

I have a feeling that Massa will do more than 100 laps today

Quote Originally Posted by sav_pap View Post
    I have a feeling that Massa will do more than 100 laps today
    I hope your right...

Quote Originally Posted by gazoz View Post
    Ferrari has a BRAND NEW CAR the others already are well prepared because they have continuation from last years car what else do you expect from them ??
    First of, we don't EXPECT anything. We're just fans, we don't have anything to expect, just enjoying the time when there is no racing by speculating on relative car performances from a purely outsider's perspective.

One thing I'll remind you is that they stopped developing the 2011 car very early last year, to make sure that all resources are dedicated to the one for 2012. Sure, they may not be prepared fully for Melbourne (I certainly remember other times when Ferrari were never well prepared for the first races but then got up to speed during the European leg), but considering the strength of the competition and how championships have evolved recently, they'd need to sort themselves out quite quickly.

In any case, this is once again an outsider's perspective - it may well be, as I said in an earlier post, that the car is just super strong and they're hiding it. Which is what all of us hope at the end of the day.