Page 1 of 36 12345678910111213141526 ... LastLast

Thread: First Barcelona Test 21st-24th Feb 2012 - news and pics

First Barcelona Test 21st-24th Feb 2012 - news and pics

Hi all,

We hope to get important miles under the belt & improve F2012 as much as possible.

One thing I want to request you all, please don't panic or derive any conclusions looking at the lap times. This is a "test" session & be it good or bad, we shall see the "reality" only in Melbourne

Felipe Massa: "again this coming session, we won’t be looking at the stopwatch, especially as you can never know what your rivals are running. The truth will only begin to emerge in Melbourne.”

Fernando Alonso: (at Jerez) “The times mean nothing, neither today’s nor yesterday’s…”

T van R Guest
    Great article. Love the way of writing it. Well done
    Last edited by T van R; 18th February 2012 at 07:15.

I would be following the second test closer than ever, and only interested to know what fernando and felipe feel in the cockpit. Technical (aero, downforce, reliability)stuffs later...If both drivers are honest within themselves and feel they have a winning car at the end the test 3 then, I wont be bothered what the redcow's and others have got not what they are doing....

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Hi all,

We hope to get important miles under the belt & improve F2012 as much as possible.

One thing I want to request you all, please don't panic or derive any conclusions looking at the lap times. This is a "test" session & be it good or bad, we shall see the "reality" only in Melbourne

Felipe Massa: "again this coming session, we won’t be looking at the stopwatch, especially as you can never know what your rivals are running. The truth will only begin to emerge in Melbourne.”

Fernando Alonso: (at Jerez) “The times mean nothing, neither today’s nor yesterday’s…”

Spot on mate.

"I've asked our technical guys if they are sure that we have done the right thing and they have told me not to worry," Whitmarsh

Quote Originally Posted by chandran2313 View Post
    "I've asked our technical guys if they are sure that we have done the right thing and they have told me not to worry," Whitmarsh
    McLaren happy to buck the trend with nose design

If I was him I would be worried, being the only odd one out. It would be either they have found something brilliant no one else saw, or they've made a terrible mistake.

or they don't need to get as much air to the floor as others.

i don't really think this will make much of a difference. if the McLaren fail, i think it will be because of something else, not the nose. all it allows it for McLaren fans to ogle at it, and brag about their good looking car. that's about it.

it's like back when Arsenal played great football, we all bragged about how entertaining and easy on the eye it was, but it never won Arsenal any trophies.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post

i don't really think this will make much of a difference. if the McLaren fail, i think it will be because of something else, not the nose. all it allows it for McLaren fans to ogle at it, and brag about their good looking car. that's about it.

it's like back when Arsenal played great football, we all bragged about how entertaining and easy on the eye it was, but it never won Arsenal any trophies.

As you rightly said, it won't make a big difference. Well we will know it in Melbourn...won't we

Anyone got any latest update on F2012? I can't wait for 21st Feb. Hope they sort out all the problems they had in Jerz and their new parts should work as they anitcipate. Why I still get the feeling that Ferrari still not sure which way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by chandran2313 View Post
    Why I still get the feeling that Ferrari still not sure which way to go?
    Because the car is such a radical departure from any car that's preceded it. The team has been open that they have many ideas about developing the car & the right development path must be taken so we can develop it throughout the year & not get stuck in a rut like last year. The F2012 will also be the basis for the 2013 car so it's important to get a full understanding of the car.

The team is bringing lots of new parts to BCN but that will be irrelevant if the reliability problems aren't solved. I think they will. As the team said they won't be focused on the stopwatch so the only true sign of progress we will be able to get of the car will be if the team can do many laps each day. I do believe for the most part, the lap times will more or less be irrelevant as well. Ferrari want the 2012 WCC very much. The F2012 will be a very fast grid leading car. It is only a matter of how quickly they can get it there. Keep the faith! #TIFOSI

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Because the car is such a radical departure from any car that's preceded it. The team has been open that they have many ideas about developing the car & the right development path must be taken so we can develop it throughout the year & not get stuck in a rut like last year. The F2012 will also be the basis for the 2013 car so it's important to get a full understanding of the car.

The team is bringing lots of new parts to BCN but that will be irrelevant if the reliability problems aren't solved. I think they will. As the team said they won't be focused on the stopwatch so the only true sign of progress we will be able to get of the car will be if the team can do many laps each day. I do believe for the most part, the lap times will more or less be irrelevant as well. Ferrari want the 2012 WCC very much. The F2012 will be a very fast grid leading car. It is only a matter of how quickly they can get it there. Keep the faith! #TIFOSI
    This was such a +ve reply... Thanks. I already feel better but until i see Ferrari (Fernando/Felipe) 1-2 in melbourne Q3, i am keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll have you know that its not the beautiful football than costs Arsenal, it's the stupid leadership that keeps selling Arsenal's best talent. It's equivalent to Redcow selling their front wing and replacing it with a log (Fabregas for Park, or Nasri for Gervinho). You don't see barcelona selling messi now do you. I'm sure the cows could get a newey replacement for a tenth of the price but it's all about keeping/getting the best people and I'm enthusiastic about how ferrari have been headhunting this season.
    Last edited by Naeem; 18th February 2012 at 13:45. Reason: spelling

+1

Now that even Mercedes W03 has gone with the same trend, I doubt how long can Mclaren hide thier disappointment

Hamilton's comments were the most telling of all, in stark contrast to Vettel's where all was well. I think Red Bull are the ones to focus on, though McLaren have the resources, as they've shown many times, to turn any car flaws around super quickly. Only concern on F2012 has gotta be the pull rod front suspension, hope it doesn't give problems with setup across different tracks. Keen to see new Merc and that F-duct front wing system...

This all reminds of the F1-92 Ferrari. The most beautiful, and probably the most dreadful. People blamed it's design at first, then evantually it was it's lack of decent eletronics and a good engine that turned it a donkey. And all the Tifosi could then is brag how it looked like a fighter jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    But isn't the FIA planning to lower the entire bulk of the car's front for the following season? If so then then could be more diffirent again next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Naeem View Post
    I'll have you know that its not the beautiful football than costs Arsenal, it's the stupid leadership that keeps selling Arsenal's best talent. It's equivalent to Redcow selling their front wing and replacing it with a log (Fabregas for Park, or Nasri for Gervinho). You don't see barcelona selling messi now do you. I'm sure the cows could get a newey replacement for a tenth of the price but it's all about keeping/getting the best people and I'm enthusiastic about how ferrari have been headhunting this season.
    If the players don't want to stay at the club, they have to be sold. Arsenal's football requires loyality to get into the mind set of it's flowing tactics, but when half of the team keeps changing every season, the team struggles to maintain a consistent gameplay.

But yeah, your point about getting the best people is good and does give us hope.

Pirelli reveal tyre choices for opening three rounds. Will the teams test the same 2012 tyres in barcelona? (soft, Medium, Hard)

Some positive news from Joseluisf1

• Yesterday Massa was very happy because with the advice of Hamashima, He can easily heat up those tyres.
    • Massa had improved his driving with the hardest compounds in a model circuit with very low temperatures, Also they simulate the loss of tire temperature after several laps behind a SC
    • Due to time constraints Massa was unable to tests with rain tires
    • The new aerodynamic parts have been reviewed 3 times, the problems should be solved
    • Tense calm in Maranello. On Tuesday, the Barcelona test will tell them if they managed to solve aerodynamic problems and reliability

The part about Massa doesn't surprise me in the above post. The simulator has now been updated with the real world data gathered at the test. They would be doing some base setups as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8 View Post
    Some positive news from Joseluisf1

• Yesterday Massa was very happy because with the advice of Hamashima, He can easily heat up those tyres.
    • Massa had improved his driving with the hardest compounds in a model circuit with very low temperatures, Also they simulate the loss of tire temperature after several laps behind a SC
    • Due to time constraints Massa was unable to tests with rain tires
    • The new aerodynamic parts have been reviewed 3 times, the problems should be solved
    • Tense calm in Maranello. On Tuesday, the Barcelona test will tell them if they managed to solve aerodynamic problems and reliability

Great news

I neither understand nor am particularly interested in the technical side of things, but regardless of whether the car is a race winner or not, I'm glad that we've tried a different direction this year
    Forza Jules

Lets hope Ferrari have a better testing session in Barcelona.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Naeem View Post
    our American friends and members into baseball, and football can tell us how Arsenal's 'great' owner does things over there. i want these moneygrabbing leeches out and David Dein back in.

now, on topic, that is very encouraging news, about the tyre warmup. i love Felipe, but now he does not have any excuse for not performing this year.
    well apart from a certain chrome car.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Yes Joseluisf1. Maranello is presently the only F1 team letting the world know of it's progress through you. Clearly they want Rapedcow and McLaren know of it's obvious successes and troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegablue View Post
    Yes Joseluisf1. Maranello is presently the only F1 team letting the world know of it's progress through you. Clearly they want Rapedcow and McLaren know of it's obvious successes and troubles.
    so in other words, what you're saying that this is a LOTTA BS and none of it is true?? just some random guy (JoseluisF1) making up crap
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    so in other words, what you're saying that this is a LOTTA BS and none of it is true?? just some random guy (JoseluisF1) making up crap
    Yes I am saying that. Everything he's said so far is stating the obvious gathered from after the tests.
    Example from yesterday, Hamashima will be working with Massa to examine the tyres. LOL He was hired to do that.

Think about it. You are a employee in a multi billion Euro company like Ferrari. The objective of your job, is to be part of collective that will make this company win. Would you allow one of your co-workers to leak such information?
    If you were LDM would you allow this info to go to your competition via the net?
    Do you think Stefano and Fry want the world to know that there's leak of inside info? Especially with what had happened in 2007?
    And the reason this Josewhatever is carrying on, is cause Ferrari know he's a no-one and he's got no link within the team. Especially as his info is probably why off the charts to the actual facts...

And what proof has he shown that he really has legit info? Oh wait, a tweet account. Nice!

If this info doesn't come directly from a member of the Ferrari team like in a interview or on their official site, I will never believe it.

Personally I don't know whether this guy is genuine or not, but people post news articles from the likes of Bild here, which is about as 'official' as someone on Twitter really

Anyway, this thread is about news not a debate on whether the mysterious joseluis is for real
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Anyway, this thread is about news not a debate on whether the mysterious joseluis is for real
    True, but shouldn't the news be real?

Yes I am saying that. Everything he's said so far is stating the obvious gathered from after the tests.
    Example from yesterday, Hamashima will be working with Massa to examine the tyres. LOL He was hired to do that.

Think about it. You are a employee in a multi billion Euro company like Ferrari. The objective of your job, is to be part of collective that will make this company win. Would you allow one of your co-workers to leak such information?
    If you were LDM would you allow this info to go to your competition via the net?
    Do you think Stefano and Fry want the world to know that there's leak of inside info? Especially with what had happened in 2007?
    And the reason this Josewhatever is carrying on, is cause Ferrari know he's a no-one and he's got no link within the team. Especially as his info is probably why off the charts to the actual facts...

And what proof has he shown that he really has legit info? Oh wait, a tweet account. Nice!

If this info doesn't come directly from a member of the Ferrari team like in a interview or on their official site, I will never believe it.
    couldn't have said it better my self

He has been right many a time with things that only insiders are privy to like front pull rod, Byrne being more hands on, Massa being in the simulator (days before he actually gets there), new parts being brought and I'm talking specific parts here.

Sure they can all be guesses, but to guess right on so many occasions regarding so many different things is highly unlikely.

Anyway, he is not releasing any specifics like schematics, fuel loads, ballast and where its located that would draw attention to himself from Ferrari. If you choose not to believe him then fine but his tweets at the very least promote discussion in an otherwise boring off season.