Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sebring 12hrs 2012

still Audi leading, Kristensen leading the trio, Vette leading GT class now, Ferrari 4th atmo
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

we started off strong, think can still see Ferrari GT win.

#71 AF Corse is up to 2nd in class and flying, now leading class again

FIA WEC ‏ @FIAWEC
    15.42 #71 Beretta makes up four places in one lap to take the lead from Oli Gavin #4 #WEC #FIA

built a 7 second lead over the Vette in second

Dindo in the #2 Audi and leading .

#1 Audi is slowing, pos misfire.

gear selection problems.
    Last edited by Rob; 17th March 2012 at 20:23.

Simon Pagenuad is closing gap to Nick Heidfield for 3rd.

yessss Bertolini is back up to 2nd in the AF Corse 458 after locking up and running wide few laps ago. He is 1 second faster than the Vette.

wow what a race that was, havent posted results yet as had quick nap then the GP. Kristensen has broke his own record for overall wins. Think he is going, is 1 of the all time great sportscar drivers. And also Mcnish winning again. Nice to see after the hard time this crew and team had last year.

Tom Kristensen broke his own record for victories at the 12 Hours of Sebring by winning his sixth success, while the driver crew scored a third win overall.

Dindo Capello (#2-P1 Audi R18) “It looks easy if you watch the gap in the last 30 minutes. But until they got the problem, it was not easy. It was one of the hardest victories. For sure traffic was a big, big problem. Every lap, every corner, you have to be focused to not make a mistake or make a stupid maneuver. We were careful, we finished with just little scratches on our car, nothing serious. It was one of the keys to our success today. [talking about retirement] “Just talking about retirement doesn't mean I wont lose focus on the races at hand. Its also good I have teammates that are focusing all of the time. I have to be careful and have to be fast but not take too many risks, I don't want to destroy their results. We have won so many races together, when we won I was so happy to equalize the results of Tom, then I remembered he was my teammate and he kept one ahead!”

Allan McNish (#2-P1 Audi R18) “We've been racing this car for nearly a year, the first time here at Sebring. It adapted very, very well. The car is built for LE Mans, but the rigors here are what makes this track and the race so difficult for the engineers and the drivers. The R18 goes to its retirement after a victory. Sounds like a good way to send it off after 2011. We are looking now at the next race in the World Endurance Championship. We had a great run from start to finish. The work starts here. [during the last stint] I had Howden in my head the last time. All the attack situations. I heard some noises at the beginning of the race, which was more scary than at the end. But we have a very good history of finishing races at Audi. We know going in that we have a chance at victory. As drivers, we can be thankful for that, because there have been times in our careers where that wasn’t the case. [about the closed cockpit car] “The closed car doesn’t have the vision as an open car, the regs are in such a way and with the big tire we use, it takes the down force loads we require. The closed car is apparent it is more efficient. The advantage is the speed in the straights, especially with the small restrictors. It's difficult to describe what it's like, we've done a lot of testing so we're used to it. But this race with 60-some cars, and the speed differentials was a great test again for us. We had to be very precise in traffic to make sure we made decisive maneuvers but not take excess risk.”

Tom Kristensen (#2-P1 Audi R18) “I think Sebring being old is part of the heritage. To come here every year, you can think we are a little crazy. The speeds we have between the cars, early on there were more cars driving, but the speed differences now make the challenge. What you see theses days on the track, it makes you want to come here. It was amazing to come here and celebrate the team effort. It was a great car prepared by Team Joest. We are celebrating 60 years here, but we are also celebrating sports car heritage. The next step, is we'll bring the hybrid car. Later we have the 80 years at Le Mans, it is a very important year, 2012. We are happy to finish first this race of the year. [worring about he 3] “We had some small things to worry about, but the 3 never crossed our mind. We focused more on the keys like keeping the corners right with the way our restrictors are set up. [challenging moments] “It was pretty much every lap. So you have to keep doing this every lap. Lap after lap, you have to make sure that he knows you're there. The key is to look for the rhythm, you'll never find it, but looking for it will allow you to find it!"

shame, but what a great battle this was..

BMW takes GT win after a spectacular last lap dice with Olivier Beretta in the #71 Ferrari.
    Last edited by Rob; 18th March 2012 at 09:11.

Yeah it was a great race, delighted for McNish/Kristensen/Capello for winning, after the difficult year they had last year.

The GT battle was just unreal, particularly over the last half an hour. Shame about the BMW just nicking it in the end, but Ferrari's pace was good all race long. Think Beretta was a little bit at fault for messing it up on the final lap, but can't really blame them after such a hard battle over such a long race.

The future is RED

ugly headlights on that R18

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    ugly headlights on that R18
    really bright though.

At the opening round of the new FIA World Endurance Championship​ at Sebring International Raceway in Florida, Audi won both a tenth pole position and their tenth victory at the Sebring 12 Hours.

Tom Kristensen scored his sixth win in this great classic of American endurance racing, Dindo Capello and Allan McNish their fourth. This adds to the exceptional harvest of victories for Audi in Florida that started in 2000.

2000 : Frank Biela/Tom Kristensen/Emanuele Pirro (Audi R8)
    2001 : Laurent Aiello/Michele Alboreto/Dindo Capello (Audi R8)
    2002 : Dindo Capello/Johnny Herbert/Christian Pescatori (Audi R8)
    2003 : Frank Biela/Philipp Peter/Marco Werner (Audi R8)
    2004 : Frank Biela/Allan McNish/Pierre Kaffer (Audi R8)
    2005 : Tom Kristensen/JJ Lehto/Marco Werner (Audi R8)
    2006 : Dindo Capello/Tom Kristensen/Allan McNish (Audi R10 TDI) *
    2007 : Frank Biela/Dindo Capello/Marco Werner (Audi R10 TDI) *
    2009 : Dindo Capello/Tom Kristensen/Allan McNish (Audi R15 TDI) *
    2012 : Dindo Capello/Tom Kristensen/Allan McNish (Audi R18 TDI) *

* = diesel

first race down, 9 more to go. Ordering my Silverstone 6hr tickets tomorrow

WEC – AF Corse takes Ferrari to victory in first round of World Endurance Championship
    Maranello, 18 March – The Sebring 12 Hours, first round of the American Le Mans Series and also of the new FIA WEC ended with a World Championship class win for the AF Corse Ferrari, in the hands of Olivier Beretta, Andrea Bertolini and Marco Cioci. They finished third of the GT cars thus taking an immediate lead in the series, as the two cars ahead of them were not entered in the championship.
    However, the other Ferraris entered were less fortunate, with the two Luxury Racing cars and the second one from AF Corse out of the running, in the case of the latter, early on because of a mechanical failure that hampered their fight for a podium finish.
    There were heart stopping moments of excitement in the GTE-PRO category, the decision going down to the very last corner in favour of the BMW M3 RLL of Hand-Summerton-Muller as they fought off the Ferrari AF Corse of Beretta-Cioci-Bertolini, the latter crew running strongly throughout, thus taking a well deserved win in the world championship standings. The next round takes place at Spa at the beginning of June.

I was surprised by that headline Rob, didn't realise that the two cars in front of the 71 weren't in the Championship. So still a class win, which is nice!

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    I was surprised by that headline Rob, didn't realise that the two cars in front of the 71 weren't in the Championship. So still a class win, which is nice!
    watching it, i had forgotten they were not in the WEC, all good

Loving the new livery makes the car look even better than last year, which should not have been easy.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo