Thread: Exhaust Positions

T van R Guest

Exhaust Positions

Maybe talking about exhaust once again is a little bit odd but i analyze the exhaust positions in top 5 cars.

We have seen three different exhaust position that frequently are tested by top teams:

....Red Bull & Ferrari have similar exhaust position in their first test debut (Exhaust is close to rear end).

....McLaren & Mercedes approximately have similar exhaust position (Exhaust is away from rear end).

....Lotus completely has adopted a new way of exhaust position with different shape of exit but again like Mclaren & Mercedes (Exhaust is away from rear end).

SO

....Mclaren & Mercedes: Mclaren & Mercedes are so sure about their exhausts distance from rear end of the car because they keep that distance.

....Lotus: Lotus is sure about their exhaust position too because they keep that distance.

....Red Bull: First of all i have to mention that before the Jerez tests "Jean François Caubet, Red Bull’s engine supplier, Renault boss" said that Red Bull has clever exhaust solution. we saw Red Bull's exhaust in first days of tests & it was near the rear end but later Red Bull Changed exhaust position.

....Ferrari: Ferrari's exhaust position was near the rear end of the car in first days of Jerez test but they test different exhaust positions.

But the thing is in last two days of tests Red Bull positioned the exhaust with more distance from rear end of the car like Mclaren & Mercedes. Even i think Red Bull has found performance in this kind of exhaust position (Away from rear end) because they tested other things with new exhaust position like the holes that we saw in rear end of floor.

Ferrari did a lot of tests about different exhaust positions too.

So it shows that there are so many unknowns about exhaust area.

So If in racing day Red Bull & Ferrari's exhaust position was similar to Mclaren & Mercedes's exhaust position,
    it shows that the gap maybe is even more closer than what we think. But of course it is possible to see the redesigned exhaust for Red Bull or Ferrari cars after 3rd or 4th race.

At the end i think Ferrari & Red Bull will end up with Mclaren & Mercedes Exhaust position (Exhaust is away from rear end).

Note: I know the requirement for being competitive is not just exhaust position, but after all it is the important one.

Thanks for Reading Any Comment?
    Last edited by T van R; 16th March 2012 at 00:11.

What you seem to missing here is that a lot depends on how the car is designed.....eg. If a car was designed with a certain exhaust position in mind and then the team chooses to adopt/copy a different position midway thru (just because someone else is gaining a performance advantage with it) it might not mean that the design will suit their car.......since the old platform and the new exhaust position may not go well together.That is the same problem Ferrari had last year...they never managed to get the car working well with the EBD concept...because the car was not designed to suit exhaust blowing (tyres being the other issue we had, but lets not get into that now).

What worries me is now that we have decided to use a different exhaust pisiton for the 1st 4 races and then go back to old exhaust (the one used for 1st test) after the 4th test .......what happens if we again find issues with it then??

I wonder how Mclaren designed a car last year with the octopus exhaust in mind and suddenly came back with a more conventional exhaust before the 1st race....so in a matter of just 2 weeks between the last test and 1st race...McLaren managed to design and integrate a new exhaust into the car and manged to get a decent performance out of it. Ferrari has more experience and more resources, I hope we will also be capable of such a turnaround....will see the answer in an hour's time

T van R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gvsnraju85 View Post
    What you seem to missing here is that a lot depends on how the car is designed.....eg. If a car was designed with a certain exhaust position in mind and then the team chooses to adopt/copy a different position midway thru (just because someone else is gaining a performance advantage with it) it might not mean that the design will suit their car.......since the old platform and the new exhaust position may not go well together.That is the same problem Ferrari had last year...they never managed to get the car working well with the EBD concept...because the car was not designed to suit exhaust blowing (tyres being the other issue we had, but lets not get into that now).
    The first platform of designing is important as you said, but because in this season the percentage of exhaust in designing is approximately the small one, so teams can take a radical way of testing exhaust position without interrupting the main design, like Red Bull & Ferrari did in tests this year.

What worries me is now that we have decided to use a different exhaust pisiton for the 1st 4 races and then go back to old exhaust (the one used for 1st test) after the 4th test .......what happens if we again find issues with it then??
    I don't know anything about Ferrari's decision about exhaust. But i am sure they know what they are doing

I wonder how Mclaren designed a car last year with the octopus exhaust in mind and suddenly came back with a more conventional exhaust before the 1st race....so in a matter of just 2 weeks between the last test and 1st race...McLaren managed to design and integrate a new exhaust into the car and manged to get a decent performance out of it. Ferrari has more experience and more resources, I hope we will also be capable of such a turnaround....will see the answer in an hour's time
    To be honest in 2011 season Ferrari designed EBD worked very well compare to Mclaren in tests. So because Mclaren couldn't find the best EBD design, Mclaren copied Red Bull's EBD design & as you know Red Bull accused Mclaren for copying their EBD.
    Last edited by T van R; 16th March 2012 at 09:02.

on this image you can clearly see that we have same position of exhaust as in Barcelona, so no changes there. I assume it will happen not before China....

T van R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post

on this image you can clearly see that we have same position of exhaust as in Barcelona, so no changes there. I assume it will happen not before China....
    Thank you for photo.

Apparently in Australia Ferrari's exhaust position is near the rear end of car. But interesting part is that in Australia practices Red Bull RB8 has an exhaust similar to McLaren & Mercedes exhaust (Exhaust is away from rear end). So Red Bull has adapted Mclaren & Mercedes Exhaust position

as you already said probably all teams will adapt exhaust concept from Mercedes and McLaren...

T van R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    Thank you indeed for this photo. So it seems that Red Bull has chosen redesigned exhaust that is similar to McLaren & Mercedes exhaust. Lets wait & see what Ferrari will come up with?

Quote Originally Posted by T van R View Post
    Thank you indeed for this photo. So it seems that Red Bull has chosen redesigned exhaust that is similar to McLaren & Mercedes exhaust. Lets wait & see what Ferrari will come up with?
    ferrari, if they get their's working would be very nice, as Stefano after having seen the others' says the Acer one could give a nice advantage.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

T van R Guest
    Red Bull modifies exhaust exit once again

http://www.f1technical.net/development/354

So they're blowing towards the diffuser again, doesn't this bring in aerodynamic effects as well just like last year?

T van R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post
    So they're blowing towards the diffuser again, doesn't this bring in aerodynamic effects as well just like last year?
    Really I don't know, but as i said in first post apparently Red Bull have adapted Mclaren & Mercedes Exhaust position (Exhaust is away from rear end). I don't know if Ferrari will adapt Mclaren & Mercedes Exhaust position or not but i am sure Ferrari know what they are doing

What about more mechanical grip for the low/medium speed turns.

T van R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alonsofan2002 View Post
    What about more mechanical grip for the low/medium speed turns.
    I don't know what you mean about mechanical grip, so i have no idea about it.

I guess you want information about suspension, front & rear wing or center of gravity or... & again i have no idea about them
    Last edited by T van R; 20th March 2012 at 17:39.

Ferrari uses a different front susp than every other team, it may be we need to take
    a different approach to the exhaust than everyone else. I would think the airflow from the
    front of the car could be entirely different.

mechanical grip is done by suspension,and thats why i think we need more at low-medium speed turns.