Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stefano Domenicali: “We have understood the problems”

Thumbs up Stefano Domenicali: “We have understood the problems”

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali sees Fernando Alonso’s charge to fifth place in Australia as a positive step, although he admits that the team still has a lot to do in order to improve the disappointing F2012.

Alonso set a surprisingly competitive race pace from his 12th starting position, although he struggled to get up to speed in the final stint in the cooler conditions after the safety car.

“I think we learned for sure a couple of things,” said Domenicali. “First of all the performance of today was not what we saw yesterday. Above all, the performance of the first two stints of the race was not too bad, considering really the situation. Then after the safety car something happened so we need to understand what was the real problem, because we saw a different race pace if you compare the first two and the last one. So this is the analysis that we have to do.

“I think on that respect today the race of Fernando was very, very good. Considering as I said the level of performance, to be fifth is something important. Considering the situation of the championship that I am expecting to see this year that it is vital that when we have so many problems to score these points.

“I would say that is a step forward, but we don’t have to hide behind that, because we are not happy about the performance of the car. What I’m asking to my engineers is to really as much as possible to try to fix the things that in their view are now much clearer.”

Domenicali insisted that the team knows what it has to put right, but denied that anything as serious as modification to the chassis was required.

“We have understood the problems of the car. This is clear. What I really need to say that after the understanding we need to make sure that we fix it, and not only fix it, but to fix it as soon as possible.

“In terms of the chassis there’s nothing going ahead. In terms of developments, yes, there are a lot of things that have to be improved, because I think there are two fundamental issues, one is the speed and the other thing is really the traction. Those are the two fundamental things that we really need to solve, and we really need hard to fix as soon as possible these major issues.”

He also conceded that the team would have to work hard to solve Felipe Massa’s problems. The Brazilian struggled to keep his tyres alive in the race and eventually crashed into Bruno Senna.

“The point was starting from yesterday Felipe didn’t feel he had a great balance on the car, and so it has affected the performance of the qualifying and also the race.

“So now what it important is to really analyse everything in order make sure that there is nothing strange, because that is the fundamental thing that we need to do, in order to help Felipe, to make sure he is performing without any extra pressure that I know that he has. He needs to be focussed really on his driving and we need to help him on that.”

http://adamcooperf1.com/2012/03/18/s...-the-problems/
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Sounds familiar, now lets see if future is also familiar. I hope not

This could be the soundtrack from any of the last few years...

I wanna hear "we fixed the problem". Stat.

Thanks Stefano for the update, looking forward to Malaysia 2011!!!!

... wait a minute...

I wonder what he means by in terms of chassis there's nothing going ahead.

No changes to the car design?

Understand the problems? Then why did u make a car worse than last years despite starting development of it earlier than every other team? Seems to be they are totally clueless.

so, no change to the chassis?
    If we use the acer ducts after May, dont we need to change part of the chassis around the sidepods?

Yeah he will be repeating similar interviews till there will be theoretical chances for us to win WDC. Same old same old.

Video interview with Stefano after the race.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...for-Massa.aspx
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." (Ayrton Senna)
    Forza Ferrari

I have always been a staunch supporter of Domenicali and Massa but I start wondering if, for the good of the Scuderia, the time hasn't come...
    Addio Signor Enzo. Ciao Gilles.

Quote Originally Posted by hogo View Post
    Yeah he will be repeating similar interviews till there will be theoretical chances for us to win WDC. Same old same old.
    and at the same time he will be reminding us about Ferrari's great history.

We know what the problems are, then fix them.
    Sounds very familiar
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." (Ayrton Senna)
    Forza Ferrari

Now is up to them to fix this problems. The fact that they know the source of the problems is a good thing, at least they are not clueless like sometime ago.

I don't think we will have any chance to do anything radical until Spain Gp, if we can get good positions until then and IF we can improve considerably starting from Europe than maybe we have a small chance this year, but I'm not holding my breath for this.

It will be again RedBulls vs McLaren with us on a distant 3-rd if were lucky.

Let's hope he's true...

“We have understood the problems of the car. This is clear. What I really need to say that after the understanding we need to make sure that we fix it, and not only fix it, but to fix it as soon as possible.

“... I think there are two fundamental issues, one is the speed and the other thing is really the traction. Those are the two fundamental things that we really need to solve, and we really need hard to fix as soon as possible these major issues.”
    Errm...anyone watching the race either live or on TV could have identified those two problems. Why aren't we being paid Domenicalli's wages too?
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift
    that's why its called the present

I'm hopeful he is telling the truth, but right now it sounds more like an -unsuccessful- attempt at calming down the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    In terms of developments, yes, there are a lot of things that have to be improved, because I think there are two fundamental issues, one is the speed and the other thing is really the traction.
    http://adamcooperf1.com/2012/03/18/s...-the-problems/
    Talking about stating the obvious....
    "That has made me fall in love with Ferrari even more today than ever." Fernando Alonso

He (SD) is really great PR, but not team boss. We all know that F2012 have problems, many, and we all know that those problems needs to be fixed. It is obvious! So START FIXING THEM!!! Or they will again abandon development of F2012 in august, in a way to focus on development of F2013 which is going to be a winner from the first race.
    Does this last sound familiar, or it's just me?!

Forza Ferrari!

traction is not a quick fix - yet the delopment of the F2012 started very early in 2011 - and surely traction and speed are the basic fundamentals of a race car. And what's the issue with BALANCE on the 2nd Ferrari - not sure what the RADICAL approach to developing the F2012 - perhaps it was to ignore the fundamentals radically to produce a fast car? The truth = The Oz result is a lucky one - the F2012 was behind the Mclarens , Red Bull , Lotus, Saubers - realistically fighting with Williams and the Torro Rosso for the spoils of 10th place. Serious doubt if this will change in Sepang - it may be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Spirit View Post
    I have always been a staunch supporter of Domenicali and Massa but I start wondering if, for the good of the Scuderia, the time hasn't come...

I think the time has come........

how far behind are we on lap time for race setup?
    we're number one

The race restarted at lap 41 after the safety car period. 17 laps after the restart when the race ended, Alonso was 21.5s behind Buttons and 17.5 behind Webber. That means the Ferrari was 1s a lap slower on average at the end.

Last year, Massa did a fastest lap in the race at 1:28.9 and Alonso did the second fastest lap at 01:29.5.

This year, both Redbull and Mclaren were slower than Massa's fastest lap last year but beat Alonso's, with lap times ranging between 1:29.2 and 1:29.5. Alonso's fastest lap this year was 1:30.3 while Massa's was 1:31.9. We were in much worse shape than last year in the race.

Well if Stefano will be replaced, then by who?

Quote Originally Posted by impactX View Post
    The race restarted at lap 41 after the safety car period. 17 laps after the restart when the race ended, Alonso was 21.5s behind Buttons and 17.5 behind Webber. That means the Ferrari was 1s a lap slower on average at the end.

Last year, Massa did a fastest lap in the race at 1:28.9 and Alonso did the second fastest lap at 01:29.5.

This year, both Redbull and Mclaren were slower than Massa's fastest lap last year but beat Alonso's, with lap times ranging between 1:29.2 and 1:29.5. Alonso's fastest lap this year was 1:30.3 while Massa's was 1:31.9. We were in much worse shape than last year in the race.
    This is alarming. Even in 2002, and 2003, when Ferrari started with the previous year's car, it was faster a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegablue View Post

This is alarming. Even in 2002, and 2003, when Ferrari started with the previous year's car, it was faster a year later.

There were no technical rule changes in those years. This year, we lost the downforce from the EBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegablue View Post

Do not forget that the EBD has been banned. Other teams cars are a lot slower than last years, RedBull especially I think.
    Last year, Alonso was on 3 stop , so was on fresh tyres by the end of the race with low fuel.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Pretty much identical article, but some other quotes as well. I do not believe they are just vague solutions as the quote:

What I am really asking from my engineers is to push as much as possible to try to fix the things that, in their view, are now much clearer."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98185

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Why are PF and SD fly back to Maranelo instead of Malaysia? Is THAT angry LDM?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    There were no technical rule changes in those years. This year, we lost the downforce from the EBD.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Do not forget that the EBD has been banned. Other teams cars are a lot slower than last years, RedBull especially I think.
    Last year, Alonso was on 3 stop , so was on fresh tyres by the end of the race with low fuel.
    True.

Stefano Domenicali's casette player has been on a loop since the beginning of 2011.

Same story, same predictions with empty promises.