Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is happening at Ferrari?

Ah so it begins, Alonso should never have come to Ferrari......?

Michael could have went to McLaren or Williams, he never he came to Ferrari and it took him 5 years to win a title, maybe Alonso thinks long term too
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

Oh no. I didn't say that! I think he agreed to come to Ferrari when he was still at Minardi. But Flav threw a spanner into those particular works. Anyway that's all history now and for myself I'm glad he's here. I get to go on holiday in Italy and go to a GP all in one What could be better?

Fernando Alonso is where he wants to be. He always wanted to drive for Ferrari and it is the team where he wants to end his career. The fact that there are faster cars on track this moment does not change that.
    He signed a very long time contract because he doesn't just want to win, he wants to win in a Ferrari. He has been very clear about that. He knew from the beginning it might take some time.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifella View Post
    I love F1, I am a massive fan of Fernando Alonso, and, even when he was driving for Renault I dreamed of the day he would eventually take Schumi's race seat.

I cant work out where its all gone wrong, I've watched Alonso drive an underperforming Renault, and now, Ferrari to potential race winning situations, to get my hopes up, all to be dashed because the car is just not the piece of kit that he deserves.....

I believe he is an out and out winner, he consistently proves to the rest of the field that he outdrives his package season in and out, and yet, no-one, it appears, (apart from the 2005-06 Renault and 2007 McLaren) is able to produce the car he needs to win more championship titles.

My heart just sinks every race I watch, and its all too plain to see on screen that his car is a dog...

I know he probably didnt help himself much at McLaren, given the amazing new talent that is Lewis Hamilton, (and his relationship with McLaren because he is home grown Brit), so I had an excuse for why he didnt ultimately end up with another title in '07.

For the 3rd season in a row, now, I hate the winter break, and all the words that seem to come from Ferrari, that we must produce a race winning car from the start, they build your hopes up, only to check the testing results to see in black and white, that Ferrari then turn around and say that "it has not produced the results we were hoping for.......its about long term development........we have to work doubly hard to produce consistent results during the races.........it takes time to understand the characteristics of the car..........we have yet to find the ultimate setup.............cant get temperature into the tyres.............the big thing is, if we are a second behind the leaders at the start of the season, then because the competition strives for improvements also, we are disadvantaged from the outset because we have to work harder than everyone else to recover that 1 second disadvantage..........

The list continues, and then to find come first race of the season...........magically the 1 second off the pace slips back into the headlines.

I dont get it, I believe something is fundamentally wrong at Ferrari, I have always been a fan of them, even before the Schumi days, and I dont pretend to know all about Ferrari, because I dont. Call me an amateur fan if you like, but I'm losing faith, because every season, the same old headlines, appear, the Ferrari are again off the pace.

I try to find any little titbits in the headlines as to what improvements Ferrari will make to its car and its race strategy's but we never really know until the race weekend dont we, so its hard.

I feel sorry for Alonso, and I saw an interesting footage from Sky F1 channel, a certain Mr S. Domenicalli going into Alonso's room after qualifying on Saturday.............I cant but help think, that this could be a regular occurence this season, and if Alonso is contracted for the next few seasons................
    So do we feel sorry for Ferrari that they are not performing as they should be or sorry for Alonso that he has to drive the sad excuses for cars he has been given the last 3 years now?

I think it's pretty clear that once again. we are (at least for now) going the opposite direction.

I know Massa comes from a very unlucky season, and maybe he is not at his very best, but i'm really starting to think that it's not Massa that is too weak, it's just that fernando is one of a kind.

On redbull and mclaren the pairs are somewhat on the same level, here's the question though, if felipe is so bad, how come when we had a good car felipe was fighting for championship?

All i'm saying is that maybe felipe is driving what the ferrari car is, it's just that alonso is doing so well, that he is putting the car way ahead from where it should be. the car is unstable, for both drivers, it's just that fernando is really at his best right now, as far as the WCC goes, i'm afraid that you could put any other driver to replace massa, and they wouldn't be doing much better than he is right now. our car really lacks things.

I don't want domenicalli to leave, but the team has been a mess, it is so unorganized still, but it takes time to build a winning team, with a strong car, you have to have every sectors working right, and right now it seems that whenever domenicalli fix one thing, then another goes bad, then another.

Remember the pitwall problems we had in 09? it took sometime to get that going, then there was the problem with the symulations tests, then windtunnel developments, it went all the way to the design room, just one thing after the other all crumbling.

just like when you buy an ancient villa in tuscany, you never tear down the original home, you have to go room by room, remodeling it, restoring it, it takes a long time to make it right, but you never simply destroy the entire foundation, you have to bring it back to life. this is what ferrari is at.

T
    he art isn't in never falling but in always getting up.

Michael could have went to McLaren or Williams, he never he came to Ferrari and it took him 5 years to win a title, maybe Alonso thinks long term too
    totally agreed, there two types of drivers imo :

1. the ones that hope from one team to another depending who is quicker at the time.

2. the ones that go to the dream team ( ferrari) and build a team around them and eventually become legends ( eg : Schummy)

I think Ferrari isnt prepared well for the rule that inseason testing has been banned. That was allways the big advantage of Ferrari having his own testtracks and testing whenever they wanted. When inseason testing got banned all the other teams invested heavilly in simulation and CFD solutions to counter the inseason banning. I think Ferrari underestimated this and now they are getting hurt by this. Also I can't understand why they let Rory Byrne help the team. They should look out for new young talent at the universitys instead of getting an old man who hasn't touched a drawing pencil for years. To build a title winning car you need to build up a car and that takes a few years. I think that Rory Byrne should work intensivly for the coming 2-3 years to be able again to make a good car. The guy is a genius but these things take time, look at Adrian Newey it took him a few years to make the Red Bull fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    There is nothing new with McLaren aside from its exhaust which they don't seems to do much either. What's there for McLaren to test?
    Their nose is similar to previous years, nothing new on the suspension front either.

Red Bull isn't that great either in their qualifying runs, which was one of their strong points last season. And they too are mostly fiddling with the exhaust ideas

Ferrari have front and rear pull rod, new nose, and have bee trying to make the exhaust work. The change of suspension is so much more significant than just aesthetic looks, now multiply it by 2 as we changed both front and rear suspension system.
    The reason why McLaren and Red Bull have "little to test" is because they have been making good cars for the last 3 years and Ferrari has been sitting with their thumbs in their you-know-whats. It's very simply, if you make a good car all you need to do is tweek it to make it better and stay competitive, but if you have been making a turd since 2008 and refuse to accept your shortcomings, when you finally recognize your faults and try and change everything you will be caught out. This is where we are now. Ferrari was correct in seeing that they have had the wrong design philosophy ever since the new aero/engine restrictions came out, but they did so late and in a panic tried to change everything.

If any of you have raced any kind of motor sport you will know what I am talking about. I drag race [silly American going fast in a strait line for a 1/4mile] and when I am setting up my car I don't change everything all at once. I may lower the tire pressure .5lb or change the pinion angle by .5degree, take note of how the car reacts. I don't just change 15 different parameters because when the car spins and makes a sharp right toward the wall I will have no basis for understanding what I did wrong. I will have to set all 15 things back and try one at a time to see what I messed up. I know one is a pale comparison to the other, but that is where Ferrari is. They changed "everything" and now they have not idea what went wrong. Well no poop they have no idea where to begin, they are lost in their own panic.

It seems to be another 2009 sezon for us...

I honestly think the management is to blame to Ferrari current form. Our road car division is very much world class unlike the F1 team who looks like its really lost. I've said it before that Stefano Domenicalli as a nice person as he is doesn't have the traits to lead this team. I wish I was wrong but so far time has proven me right.

"Always move forward, take it one step at a time, eventually you'll reach your goal and if you happen to fall on face your still moving..."

So many complaints...

Quote Originally Posted by diesel08 View Post
    It seems to be another 2009 sezon for us...
    It's just been only one race. And in a semi-urban circuit. Don't you think we should give the team a chance?, SD said they've found a clear path of development. Come on, give the scuderia at least until the European season starts

I'm waiting till they've bolted on all the updates, the intended exhaust solution if it works. If the car is still slow, then I'll be severely depressed

It' not possible for us to know the the exact reasons for this situation. But everyone in the team works hard to bring the car in the front of the field. So, a little patience and good days are coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by AvantiAlonsoWDC View Post
    It's just been only one race. And in a semi-urban circuit. Don't you think we should give the team a chance?, SD said they've found a clear path of development. Come on, give the scuderia at least until the European season starts
    While I am very supportive and look forward to us finding the missing wheel. I cannot put faith in what they say as a step in the right direction. After all they started on this car so much earlier and still got it wrong.
    It leads too a belief that there is something deeply troubling at Ferrari that we cannot resolve anytime soon. Our last solid dev program was in 2010 when we came from behind to bring Alonso to the brink and then other parts of the team let us down.
    we're number one

to compare alonso to schumacher, is an insult to schumacher.
    The guy lucked out to 2 titles with renault, we thought he can make new schumacher..

The situation is much like villas boas - mourinho.Mourinho won alot with porto, chelsea took him and did wonders for chelsea.
    Villas boas won alot with porto, chelsea thought the same will happen.Yet it backfired.

We thought because schumacher had 2 titles with briatore..gonna be the same with alonso..
    it was wrong.

I want to see top people in ferrari gone.Dominically, the drivers ( alonso/massa)..I want everything from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by vecchiasignora View Post
    The guy lucked out to 2 titles with renault, we thought he can make new schumacher..

The situation is much like villas boas - mourinho.Mourinho won alot with porto, chelsea took him and did wonders for chelsea.
    Villas boas won alot with porto, chelsea thought the same will happen.Yet it backfired.

We thought because schumacher had 2 titles with briatore..gonna be the same with alonso..
    it was wrong.

I want to see top people in ferrari gone.Dominically, the drivers ( alonso/massa)..I want everything from scratch

!!!!

it was wrong.

You should fire Luca too, and you can take his place

it was wrong.

And which drivers do you want to see?
    This season will be the "Rosso Corsa" season!
    Fernando is FAster than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
    And which drivers do you want to see?
    probably lewis and kimi :/

I will bet that by Europe, we will be fighting for wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I will bet that by Europe, we will be fighting for wins!
    And for now we must constantly win points.

it was wrong.

Granted Fernando had the best car in 05/06. In any case I doubt he'll still be at Ferrari in 2016 if he can't get a competitive car. Let's hope Ferrari can build a fast car very soon.

Maybe Michael lucked into his 2 titles at Benetton also, remember it took MS 5 seasons to win a title for Ferrari, Alonso is in his 3rd, maybe we can compare them in a few more years. No need to compare him to Schumacher either, times are very different now and Ferrari operate on a much more level playing field with much stronger competition coming from our rivals.
    Forza Ferrari

Alonso beat Schumacher fair and square in 2006. Not even mass dumper ban, astonishing penalty in Monza et al. prevented him of clinching the title. Get over it!

In 2005 McLaren was the best car, it wasn't Alonso's fault that their car wasn't as reliable and Kimi made more mistakes. Get over it!

Maybe Michael lucked into his 2 titles at Benetton also, remember it took MS 5 seasons to win a title for Ferrari, Alonso is in his 3rd, maybe we can compare them in a few more years. No need to compare him to Schumacher either, times are very different now and Ferrari operate on a much more level playing field with much stronger competition coming from our rivals.

Huge difference. Schumacher came to us when we were nobodies.We had no winning mentality.
    In his first season with us(1996), Schumacher won more races then ferrari won between 1991 - 1995.
    Schumacher finished 3rd in his first year with us, and took us 2nd in constructors title. The second year we lost the title in last race to villeneuve.
    The next year he finished second again. The 4th year he got injured, but he developed big car for us..it took irvine to 2nd spot.
    The 5th year he won us the title after 21 ing years.

The situation is different. Alonso came here to a side that is used to winning titles. Yet you have his fanboys talking nonsense. And we are going worse each year. First year 2nd, next year 4th..this year god knows..

Also Schumacher won his first title with us at age of 31. Alonso is already 31. I think it was stupid idea to give him this big contract till 2016.

it was wrong.

Two letters: TC

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Huge difference. Schumacher came to us when we were nobodies.We had no winning mentality.
    In his first season with us(1996), Schumacher won more races then ferrari won between 1991 - 1995.
    Schumacher finished 3rd in his first year with us, and took us 2nd in constructors title. The second year we lost the title in last race to villeneuve.
    The next year he finished second again. The 4th year he got injured, but he developed big car for us..it took irvine to 2nd spot.
    The 5th year he won us the title after 21 ing years.

The situation is different. Alonso came here to a side that is used to winning titles. Yet you have his fanboys talking nonsense. And we are going worse each year. First year 2nd, next year 4th..this year god knows..

Also Schumacher won his first title with us at age of 31. Alonso is already 31. I think it was stupid idea to give him this big contract till 2016.
    Alonso took 2nd in his first season, also Ferrari were undergoing major technical changes, just like now. I don't see the need to compare him to Schumacher, as I said it's a very different F1 now, Alonso has one hand tied behind his back, he can't test and test and test like Michael used to do, competition is greatly improved on a team level and also a driver level, the rules are now so strict their is a much more level playing field, the grid is much closer. Schumacher sat in some very dominant cars because Ferrari excelled while the competition sucked basically.

Alonso is not Schumacher, Ferrari is not the same as the Schumacher era and neither is F1, it's maybe time to move on from 10 years ago and look at the picture now.
    Forza Ferrari

Alonso took 2nd in his first season, also Ferrari were undergoing major technical changes, just like now. I don't see the need to compare him to Schumacher, as I said it's a very different F1 now, Alonso has one hand tied behind his back, he can't test and test and test like Michael used to do, competition is greatly improved on a team level and also a driver level, the rules are now so strict their is a much more level playing field, the grid is much closer. Schumacher sat in some very dominant cars because Ferrari excelled while the competition sucked basically.

Alonso is not Schumacher, Ferrari is not the same as the Schumacher era and neither is F1, it's maybe time to move on from 10 years ago and look at the picture now.

Look at how mercedes improved from the last year compared to us. That is the difference between schumacher the car developer, and alonso the guy whose supposed to be some great car improver...

The Mercedes we beat in Australia you mean?
    Forza Ferrari