Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is happening at Ferrari?

What is happening at Ferrari?

I love F1, I am a massive fan of Fernando Alonso, and, even when he was driving for Renault I dreamed of the day he would eventually take Schumi's race seat.

I cant work out where its all gone wrong, I've watched Alonso drive an underperforming Renault, and now, Ferrari to potential race winning situations, to get my hopes up, all to be dashed because the car is just not the piece of kit that he deserves.....

I believe he is an out and out winner, he consistently proves to the rest of the field that he outdrives his package season in and out, and yet, no-one, it appears, (apart from the 2005-06 Renault and 2007 McLaren) is able to produce the car he needs to win more championship titles.

My heart just sinks every race I watch, and its all too plain to see on screen that his car is a dog...

I know he probably didnt help himself much at McLaren, given the amazing new talent that is Lewis Hamilton, (and his relationship with McLaren because he is home grown Brit), so I had an excuse for why he didnt ultimately end up with another title in '07.

For the 3rd season in a row, now, I hate the winter break, and all the words that seem to come from Ferrari, that we must produce a race winning car from the start, they build your hopes up, only to check the testing results to see in black and white, that Ferrari then turn around and say that "it has not produced the results we were hoping for.......its about long term development........we have to work doubly hard to produce consistent results during the races.........it takes time to understand the characteristics of the car..........we have yet to find the ultimate setup.............cant get temperature into the tyres.............the big thing is, if we are a second behind the leaders at the start of the season, then because the competition strives for improvements also, we are disadvantaged from the outset because we have to work harder than everyone else to recover that 1 second disadvantage..........

The list continues, and then to find come first race of the season...........magically the 1 second off the pace slips back into the headlines.

I dont get it, I believe something is fundamentally wrong at Ferrari, I have always been a fan of them, even before the Schumi days, and I dont pretend to know all about Ferrari, because I dont. Call me an amateur fan if you like, but I'm losing faith, because every season, the same old headlines, appear, the Ferrari are again off the pace.

I try to find any little titbits in the headlines as to what improvements Ferrari will make to its car and its race strategy's but we never really know until the race weekend dont we, so its hard.

I feel sorry for Alonso, and I saw an interesting footage from Sky F1 channel, a certain Mr S. Domenicalli going into Alonso's room after qualifying on Saturday.............I cant but help think, that this could be a regular occurence this season, and if Alonso is contracted for the next few seasons................

If you are looking for answers maybe some interesting posts in the "Australian Grand Prix 2012 - Albert Park - Race 1" thread could help you. Too many posts but I've found some interesting stuff there (as I'm also looking for some answers) ...

If Alonso wouldn't try so hard (like finish 5th in a car that's not worth 10th place), maybe then people in Ferrari will wake up. ATM they are all happy that Alonso got 5th place in Australia, and some already are saying that we are OK in a race trim... Car is terrible and Alonso should show team how bad it is. Only Massa is doing good job showing true pace of F2012, but everyone thinks that Massa is bad driver and dismiss his results as irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifella View Post
    I love F1, I am a massive fan of Fernando Alonso, and, even when he was driving for Renault I dreamed of the day he would eventually take Schumi's race seat.

I cant work out where its all gone wrong, I've watched Alonso drive an underperforming Renault, and now, Ferrari to potential race winning situations, to get my hopes up, all to be dashed because the car is just not the piece of kit that he deserves.....

I believe he is an out and out winner, he consistently proves to the rest of the field that he outdrives his package season in and out, and yet, no-one, it appears, (apart from the 2005-06 Renault and 2007 McLaren) is able to produce the car he needs to win more championship titles.

My heart just sinks every race I watch, and its all too plain to see on screen that his car is a dog...

I know he probably didnt help himself much at McLaren, given the amazing new talent that is Lewis Hamilton, (and his relationship with McLaren because he is home grown Brit), so I had an excuse for why he didnt ultimately end up with another title in '07.

For the 3rd season in a row, now, I hate the winter break, and all the words that seem to come from Ferrari, that we must produce a race winning car from the start, they build your hopes up, only to check the testing results to see in black and white, that Ferrari then turn around and say that "it has not produced the results we were hoping for.......its about long term development........we have to work doubly hard to produce consistent results during the races.........it takes time to understand the characteristics of the car..........we have yet to find the ultimate setup.............cant get temperature into the tyres.............the big thing is, if we are a second behind the leaders at the start of the season, then because the competition strives for improvements also, we are disadvantaged from the outset because we have to work harder than everyone else to recover that 1 second disadvantage..........

The list continues, and then to find come first race of the season...........magically the 1 second off the pace slips back into the headlines.

I dont get it, I believe something is fundamentally wrong at Ferrari, I have always been a fan of them, even before the Schumi days, and I dont pretend to know all about Ferrari, because I dont. Call me an amateur fan if you like, but I'm losing faith, because every season, the same old headlines, appear, the Ferrari are again off the pace.

I try to find any little titbits in the headlines as to what improvements Ferrari will make to its car and its race strategy's but we never really know until the race weekend dont we, so its hard.

I feel sorry for Alonso, and I saw an interesting footage from Sky F1 channel, a certain Mr S. Domenicalli going into Alonso's room after qualifying on Saturday.............I cant but help think, that this could be a regular occurence this season, and if Alonso is contracted for the next few seasons................
    I feel rather as you do. Fed up and let down...yet again.

I just hope that FA sticks to his contract AND Ferrari get's its act together and gives him a fast car.

We don't want another 20 years of hurt FHS!
    Trying to be less angry..

Only the team knows whats going on, what challenges are they facing.

But I think Ferrari may be affected by the limited testing. This year we have many new design concepts in the car, and however nice a design looks like on the drawing board, only a real world test can show how effective it is, and how we can develop or improve it. You need thousands of km to properly develop a car, and we don't have that thanks to all the crazy budget cuts.

By limiting testing just so the smaller team like HRT can afford it, we are effectively limiting our development as much as what HRT can do! There is no magical way about it. You need to test everything in real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Only the team knows whats going on, what challenges are they facing.

But I think Ferrari may be affected by the limited testing. This year we have many new design concepts in the car, and however nice a design looks like on the drawing board, only a real world test can show how effective it is, and how we can develop or improve it. You need thousands of km to properly develop a car, and we don't have that thanks to all the crazy budget cuts.

By limiting testing just so the smaller team like HRT can afford it, we are effectively limiting our development as much as what HRT can do! There is no magical way about it. You need to test everything in real world.
    What irks me about that is that Hrt don't even make it to the limited test!!! Surely it would be easier giving teams mile limits but at any track they choose! 10laps a Dayan fiorano would do the trick.
    Thank god Mugello is when it is the perfect place and time for Ferrari.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

hey everyone,

I've just picked this one up off Sky F1 News, what do you think?

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...s-braking-down

All teams have limited testing. How come it's not hurting RBR and McL? The testing is a BS excuse. There is a fundamental fault at Ferrari to recognize and eliminate failure. They keep failing year after year and no one of importance is held responsible. There is also a clear lack of talent on the design team, be they "old fashioned" and unwilling to recognize the trend toward aerodynamics and away from engine performance or they got a C in aerodynamics/fluid dynamics class in college and Ferrari hired them but the outcome is the same. You can not just throw everything including the kitchen sink at a wall, call it the F2012 and expect it to work. It has to be a cohesive design and clearly, we have not had it for a while. Initially it was an inability to accept the present and the changes that occurred to the sport, it was a lack of vision, now they are trying to over correct like a rookie karting driver and have spun off into the grass. Simple as that. They have no idea what they are doing, Im sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    What irks me about that is that Hrt don't even make it to the limited test!!! Surely it would be easier giving teams mile limits but at any track they choose! 10laps a Dayan fiorano would do the trick.
    Thank god Mugello is when it is the perfect place and time for Ferrari.
    It's funny that you mention HRT, here is a snippet of what was reported after Q1:

"Fernando Alonso had a flying lap ruined by Karthikeyan as he approached the finish line; as both drivers were setting fliers it was the job of the Ferrari to get past, not the HRT’s job to move over. Even once the pair had crossed the line, Alonso had difficulty passing the HRT – not a scenario anticipated by anyone, least of all the Spanish racing outfit."

http://www.f1rules.com/australian-gr...%93-q1-report/

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    It's funny that you mention HRT, here is a snippet of what was reported after Q1:

"Fernando Alonso had a flying lap ruined by Karthikeyan as he approached the finish line; as both drivers were setting fliers it was the job of the Ferrari to get past, not the HRT’s job to move over. Even once the pair had crossed the line, Alonso had difficulty passing the HRT – not a scenario anticipated by anyone, least of all the Spanish racing outfit."

http://www.f1rules.com/australian-gr...%93-q1-report/
    Im quicker with my bike than the HRT, this car is really dangerousgy slow.

hey everyone,

I've just picked this one up off Sky F1 News, what do you think?

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...s-braking-down
    Thanks for that. I know Mark Hughes isn't everybody's favourite F1 commentator on this site, but I do at least find his thoughts on the cars enlightening...but then what do know?

@ 1. "My heart just sinks every race I watch"

Kiwifella, I share your depression over the past few years, as an Alonso fan. Since 2008 he hasn't had a competetive car really and the WDC results reflect that, IMO.It's been very wearing for us.

Oddly though, his reputatation as a driver has gone up during that period; the mere fact that Ferrari booked him until 2016 demonstrates that they have no doubts about his stature in the modern F1 world. And Ferrari is pretty careful about whom it selects as drivers - and retains!

Fernando seems, despite the car circumstances, stable and content to be where he is - I'm sure he knows what's best for himself. His real fans have to honour the decisions made by him and Ferrari......and hope for the best whilst appreciating the problems.
    As he himself has said, there may be others slightly faster over one lap, more 'technical' (whatever that means), but no-one is a more awesome starter and to see him dinking and dodging or or inexorably making up time under such hard circumstances is as equally breath- taking as the fastest car on the grid getting pole, leaping off the start line and roaring off into the distance (although I could live with that too).
    And his radio comments are often worth the entrance fee too on an especially awful day behind the wheel

"They'll get there. If any team can do it Ferrari can" - Damon Hill, 17/3/2012
    Last edited by Alessandra; 20th March 2012 at 12:47. Reason: signature

Lack of pace

I totally agree with you on your post,if Alonso had not driven the bag out of that Ferrari,they would have been in the back with slower company,last year they were 4th and now 5th,going backwards,even Lotus managed to be on podium.Mr S D has been giving us the same talk as last year,and again Alonso drove last years Ferrari to its limit and then some,I think ferrari has lost their key engineers and they need to get rid of ones not performing to their utmost and re-group.Only hope that Alonso does not give up with them,if they do not produce a good winning car,but I would not blame him for that.Watching Ferrari in the backpack is embarassing and Mr SD needs tostop feeding us bull and get on with the job and or resign if they cant win the next race.Three years in a row and Ferrari has not produced a winning car.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    All teams have limited testing. How come it's not hurting RBR and McL? The testing is a BS excuse. There is a fundamental fault at Ferrari to recognize and eliminate failure. They keep failing year after year and no one of importance is held responsible. There is also a clear lack of talent on the design team, be they "old fashioned" and unwilling to recognize the trend toward aerodynamics and away from engine performance or they got a C in aerodynamics/fluid dynamics class in college and Ferrari hired them but the outcome is the same. You can not just throw everything including the kitchen sink at a wall, call it the F2012 and expect it to work. It has to be a cohesive design and clearly, we have not had it for a while. Initially it was an inability to accept the present and the changes that occurred to the sport, it was a lack of vision, now they are trying to over correct like a rookie karting driver and have spun off into the grass. Simple as that. They have no idea what they are doing, Im sorry to say.

spot on! +1

^ To be fair, the 2007 Mclaren designed by Pat Fry (or stolen from Ferrari) was plenty fast and on par with Ferrari until they were disqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by impactX View Post
    ^ To be fair, the 2007 Mclaren designed by Pat Fry (or stolen from Ferrari) was plenty fast and on par with Ferrari until they were disqualified.
    When were they disqualified

2007, spygate?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    There is nothing new with McLaren aside from its exhaust which they don't seems to do much either. What's there for McLaren to test?
    Their nose is similar to previous years, nothing new on the suspension front either.

Red Bull isn't that great either in their qualifying runs, which was one of their strong points last season. And they too are mostly fiddling with the exhaust ideas

Ferrari have front and rear pull rod, new nose, and have bee trying to make the exhaust work. The change of suspension is so much more significant than just aesthetic looks, now multiply it by 2 as we changed both front and rear suspension system.

Nothing is happening at Ferrari, that's the problem XD
    Nah, just kidding. Simply you can't win them all, success in F1 comes and goes in cycles, those that have a good base design haven an easier time getting it right the next year if the regulations stay mostly the same. That and the technical team may need some time to reach maturity, maybe they are now setting the foundations for another 5 years of domination in the near future.

Well, something is happening. The cars are back in Maranello at the moment and so are Domenicali and Fry. No matter what it takes, they just want to improve the car. Normally the cars would have gone straight to Malaysia.
    Fernando is already in Malaysia to adapt as good as he can to the climate in order to be 100% fit to race in the heat.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Seems they have sent Massa's chassis back to Maranello, he is getting a new one for Malaysia.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Seems they have sent Massa's chassis back to Maranello, he is getting a new one for Malaysia.
    nop thatīs not true this chassis was already in OZ , but because of the rumours they give him the 94 because of his poor weekend. also there are romours that Massa has 9 races to show something substancial ,if not , he will be replaced!!!
    Race victories 219
    Pole positions 205
    Fastest laps 225
    Words of what???We are the F1!!!Any Doubts???

How is it not true? he is getting a new chassis in Malaysia, it has not been used.
    Forza Ferrari

the 294 was in OZ to replace just in case ....but existed. the 293 was used by massa in OZ but itīs poor weekend have made some doubts that Fernando had "gold" and Massa "crap" so....in Malasia Massa will get 294.But yes the 294 itīs not been used yet. " This choice was taken to clear up any doubts about the unusual performance of his car during the weekend at Albert Park."
    Also the 293 went to maranelo with Stefano and Fry ....
    The B plan itīs in move....or it becames to work in China or Stefano is in big trouble also.
    So...in trouble right now - Massa 9 races to show something and Stefano to make F2012 work. Fry is better give all that he can. oh boy!!!!
    Last edited by luicchi; 20th March 2012 at 16:52.
    Race victories 219
    Pole positions 205
    Fastest laps 225
    Words of what???We are the F1!!!Any Doubts???

Obviously the problems the fingers are pointing at are the F2012 and fear that Massa be unable to produce good results on a regular basis for the championship. The 1st problem is something only the engineers at Ferrari know in full and only they can solve it but on a dry weekend Sepang is probably the best track to asses the performance of an F1 car, hopefully we'll se if there's something very wrong with the F2012 or it's a smaller problem than we thought. The 2nd problem is probably linked somehow to the first one. Massa will drive a new chassis because he had all sort of problems in Oz. It isn't acceptable, and hard to believe, that in normal circumstances the gap between two teammates be more than a few tenths.

[B]@Allessandra

Fernando seems, despite the car circumstances, stable and content to be where he is - I'm sure he knows what's best for himself. His real fans have to honour the decisions made by him and Ferrari......and hope for the best whilst appreciating the problems.
    As he himself has said, there may be others slightly faster over one lap, more 'technical' (whatever that means), but no-one is a more awesome starter and to see him dinking and dodging or or inexorably making up time under such hard circumstances is as equally breath- taking as the fastest car on the grid getting pole, leaping off the start line and roaring off into the distance (although I could live with that too).
    And his radio comments are often worth the entrance fee too on an especially awful day behind the wheel

I just hope at the end of the day they give Alonso a decent horse, I reckon he's probably the best driver out there, just imagine if he was driving a RB or McL at the moment.

Whats difference between two chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post
    Whats difference between two chassis?
    No difference but Ferrari suspects the other one might be faulty.

Nothing apart from one is newer
    Forza Ferrari

[B]@Allessandra

I just hope at the end of the day they give Alonso a decent horse, I reckon he's probably the best driver out there, just imagine if he was driving a RB or McL at the moment.
    Yep. But then he could have been - left McLaren by mutual agreement and RBR requested his presence too - as of course did Brawn, as I'm sure you know.
    It's a funny old life - I'm sure he's thinking