Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Malaysian GP 2012 - Friday and Saturday Free Practice

Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post
    It seems that the red bulls are in real trouble.
    they do seem so atmo, thats good. Wasnt bad session for us. Think our race pace look very promising
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Just a note. On his very last lap, FM did better than JB times in S1 and S2. Then, on sector 3 (traffic? abandoned lap?) he was more than 2.5 seconds slower (even from HRT!)
    Best sector times:

Alonso: 25.4 33.4 39.9
    Massa: 25.6 34.2 40.3

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    they do seem so atmo, thats good. Wasnt bad session for us. Think our race pace look very promising
    Alonso was quickest of all on high fuel.
    We do not know how much fuel he had on his runs in comparison to the others, but generally we do look better here than in melbourne.

Not bad, not bad, at least in Alonso's hands, now let pray tomorrow is a dry day.

Massa is lost I'm afraid....Ferrari has a biggest gap between drivers times not just here but in Australia too...
    I assume after big updates in Europe its all or nothing for Massa...If he doesnt improve then its "bye bye"...

Alonso's race pace looked pretty good, maybe we can salvage something good from this race afterall. All depends on what weather does but I'm more optimistic than I was after FP1.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

any links of practice reply, i mist practice live, please
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." (Ayrton Senna)
    Forza Ferrari

Goes to show how hard the car is to drive. The harder it is the more the gap between a great and good driver becomes.
    Massa needs Ferrari to save his behind with some good updates.

The truth is that there are not many drivers ont he grid who can do what Alonso does so changing Massa for another driver will not yield wholesale changes to the performance of the second car.

Ferrari needs to concentrate on improving the car first, worry about Massa later because there is no one else who is going to be leaps and bounds better than him anyway that is available and continuity is far more important right now to develop the F2012.

Just my view.

Fernando had the lowest speed at speed trap in FP2.

Not too shabby....

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Fernando had the lowest speed at speed trap in FP2.
    Do you have a link to the speed trap info please?

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Nice step forward for f1.com and live timing since Tata Communications signed a contract for servicing it...
    We could only be thankful weather was good and we have tried as much as possible in order to prepare ourselves for qualifying and race.
    We need every minute on the track, thats why Massa need to stay as long as possible on it this Sunday.
    It seems our team will be able one more time to extract the impossible from a car and circumstances not looking good at all. One could ask himself where would be Ferrari if Ferrari would be not dominating but only competitive to the top.
    Shame.

It's on the official f1 page: HERE

Beside this, you can find valuable info on the FIA site: HERE

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    It's on the official f1 page: HERE

Beside this, you can find valuable info on the FIA site: HERE
    Thanks. This is unbelievable. How can Ferrari car be the slowest one? How can it be slower than HRT?!?

Btw, I am not able to find anything on the F1 official pages. Just don't understand it's layout

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

What puzzles me more is Felipe. In FP2 he's got the worst time of all in sector 2 apart from the new teams...

EDIT: Despite the low speed of F2012, Fernando's 3rd sector where the 2 long straights are was exceptionaly good. That means he had to have a good speed through some turns in this last sector. However it's only Friday
    Last edited by wacc; 23rd March 2012 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Thanks. This is unbelievable. How can Ferrari car be the slowest one? How can it be slower than HRT?!?

Btw, I am not able to find anything on the F1 official pages. Just don't understand it's layout
    Its not quite difficult to understand. We lack on downforce and are unable to solve the issue for now. Only way to limit the damage is to increase the drag helping this way the car to be more stable.

Pos No Driver Time of Day Speed
    1 17 Jean-Eric Vergne 14:25:45 313.4
    2 8 Nico Rosberg 14:57:58 312.5
    3 16 Daniel Ricciardo 14:06:58 309.9
    4 10 Romain Grosjean 14:36:52 309.4
    5 12 Nico Hulkenberg 14:52:49 309.2
    6 20 Heikki Kovalainen 14:30:25 309.1
    7 7 Michael Schumacher 14:11:26 309.1
    8 3 Jenson Button 14:12:57 309.0
    9 11 Paul di Resta 14:08:15 308.9
    10 4 Lewis Hamilton 14:15:24 307.3
    11 9 Kimi Räikkönen 14:47:45 307.3
    12 15 Sergio Perez 14:41:30 305.6
    13 21 Vitaly Petrov 14:51:47 305.5
    14 18 Pastor Maldonado 14:08:35 305.3
    15 19 Bruno Senna 14:08:20 304.9
    16 2 Mark Webber 14:28:37 304.9
    17 6 Felipe Massa 14:09:04 303.8
    18 14 Kamui Kobayashi 15:26:40 302.4
    19 24 Timo Glock 14:03:37 301.9
    20 1 Sebastian Vettel 14:22:50 301.8
    21 23 Narain Karthikeyan 14:03:41 301.3
    22 22 Pedro de la Rosa 14:25:16 301.2
    23 25 Charles Pic 14:07:36 300.4
    24 5 Fernando Alonso 14:19:27 300.4

I have now resigned myself to look at this early stage of the championship as follows: we know we have a bad car, let's see what Alonso can make of it.

And enjoy the show.

So the top STR -Ferrari was 13 km/h faster than Fernando's Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    I have now resigned myself to look at this early stage of the championship as follows: we know we have a bad car, let's see what Alonso can make of it.

And enjoy the show.
    +1
    this is a very wise way to see it :)

Gary Anderson
    BBC F1 technical analyst
    "The McLaren tyres look pretty good - the Mercedes tyres are a bit more suspect. Ferrari had bad pick-up problems on the tyres in the morning, but watching Alonso come back in after his long run in the afternoon, they were the best I've seen. Maybe we are seeing a bit of a revival from Ferrari.

"Webber came in after a fairly long run and the inside shoulder of the rear tyres looked fairly tatty. Red Bull have changed the front and rear torsion bars and the rear ride-height on his car. That's more than I've seen Red Bull change their car mechanically than over the last two years."

at least some good news :)

Felipe Massa says new Ferrari chassis feels better

Felipe Massa is convinced that his change of chassis for this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix has had a positive effect after the first day of free practice.

Ferrari gave the Brazilian a new chassis for this weekend after Massa complained of his car feeling very strange during the Australian GP weekend. And after taking to the track at Sepang, he said he felt much happier with the F2012.

"I started in the morning with a completely different car and it felt good," Massa told reporters in the Sepang paddock. "The car is more normal, so we can be more competitive here compared to [Fernando] Alonso."

He added that Ferrari got a lot of answers about what doesn't work with its car in the second session, which should enable it to make progress ahead of qualifying on Saturday.

"In the afternoon, we tried some different pieces, including pieces we tried in Australia," said Massa. "And everything went in a worse direction.

"So that was positive to understand. The car was completely different to the morning and that can be very positive to find out why things were difficult in Australia.

"Tomorrow, the car can be a big step and much more competitive than what you have seen in terms of lap time [in free practice]."

Massa said that his target overnight would be to improve the handling at the rear of the car.

"We are suffering with instability at the rear, especially in the slow corners," he said. "There are so many things we didn't understand and now we are starting to understand everything.

"We don't have a very competitive car but I hope that we can fight for as many points as possible. I want to get in the car with everything right, the best we have. And that will be tomorrow."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98290

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    "I started in the morning with a completely different car and it felt good," Massa told reporters in the Sepang paddock. "The car is more normal, so we can be more competitive here compared to [Fernando] Alonso."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98290
    Is this any kind of Indirect Hint that Ferrari is developing way too much in favor of Alonso?
    4 down, 3 to go! Forza Sebastian!

No, why would it be?
    Forza Ferrari

Fernando Alonso: “As usual here in Malaysia, one of the main tasks on Friday is to get used to the extreme conditions as quickly as possible. Especially in the garage, you suffer from the heat when you are inside the cockpit, while at least out on track, you get a bit of air, although you can hardly call it cool! This morning we did a lot of work on comparing different aerodynamic configurations, which was a bit like putting together a puzzle, trying to find the best combination. In the afternoon, we then moved on to the usual Friday job with the tyres, running with various different fuel levels on board. I would say that on this front, both the Mediums and the Hards seem to behave reasonably well, both in terms of performance on the first lap and when it comes to degradation on a long run. We gathered a lot of useful information which will allow us to be ready for the rest of the weekend. It did not rain today, but we know that here a storm can arrive without a moment’s notice and so we need to be ready for every eventuality.”

Felipe Massa: Fernando and I were on rather different programmes from each other and that is the main reason for the difference on the time sheet. In the afternoon in particular, we went in completely different directions which in my case did not work, but at least it allowed me to understand a few important things about the handling of the car. Now my engineers and I know what is the right direction to go in, which makes me feel more optimistic for qualifying compared to how I felt about it last week in Melbourne. Clearly, at the moment, our car is not yet competitive at the highest level. Do I feel any special pressure? No, no more than usual: at Ferrari we are always under pressure. The important thing is to understand what did not work in Melbourne and I think we have everything in hand to do that.”

Pat Fry: “Both drivers had a very packed programme today, with slight differences between them, but focussed on the same three main points: a comparison between various aerodynamic configurations, an evaluation of the performance of the two types of tyre (Medium and Hard) that Pirelli have brought here and trying to find the best set-up. We had no major problems and so we were able to complete the entire programme and now we are analysing the data to fine tune the two cars for qualifying and the race. I would say that, at first glance, the situation is not that different to last week, nor could it be any other way, given that the cars are more or less identical to the way they were in Melbourne. We did not see any particular balance problems and the pace over a long run does not seem that bad. Fernando in particular seems to be a bit more comfortable with the car, while we still have work to do to put Felipe in the best conditions possible. The aim for tomorrow is to get both cars into Q3: we are aware that, with our current potential, it will not be easy, but we will give it our all.”
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Fernando Alonso: “As usual here in Malaysia, one of the main tasks on Friday is to get used to the extreme conditions as quickly as possible. Especially in the garage, you suffer from the heat when you are inside the cockpit, while at least out on track, you get a bit of air, although you can hardly call it cool! This morning we did a lot of work on comparing different aerodynamic configurations, which was a bit like putting together a puzzle, trying to find the best combination. In the afternoon, we then moved on to the usual Friday job with the tyres, running with various different fuel levels on board. I would say that on this front, both the Mediums and the Hards seem to behave reasonably well, both in terms of performance on the first lap and when it comes to degradation on a long run. We gathered a lot of useful information which will allow us to be ready for the rest of the weekend. It did not rain today, but we know that here a storm can arrive without a moment’s notice and so we need to be ready for every eventuality.”

Felipe Massa: Fernando and I were on rather different programmes from each other and that is the main reason for the difference on the time sheet. In the afternoon in particular, we went in completely different directions which in my case did not work, but at least it allowed me to understand a few important things about the handling of the car. Now my engineers and I know what is the right direction to go in, which makes me feel more optimistic for qualifying compared to how I felt about it last week in Melbourne. Clearly, at the moment, our car is not yet competitive at the highest level. Do I feel any special pressure? No, no more than usual: at Ferrari we are always under pressure. The important thing is to understand what did not work in Melbourne and I think we have everything in hand to do that.”

Pat Fry: “Both drivers had a very packed programme today, with slight differences between them, but focussed on the same three main points: a comparison between various aerodynamic configurations, an evaluation of the performance of the two types of tyre (Medium and Hard) that Pirelli have brought here and trying to find the best set-up. We had no major problems and so we were able to complete the entire programme and now we are analysing the data to fine tune the two cars for qualifying and the race. I would say that, at first glance, the situation is not that different to last week, nor could it be any other way, given that the cars are more or less identical to the way they were in Melbourne. We did not see any particular balance problems and the pace over a long run does not seem that bad. Fernando in particular seems to be a bit more comfortable with the car, while we still have work to do to put Felipe in the best conditions possible. The aim for tomorrow is to get both cars into Q3: we are aware that, with our current potential, it will not be easy, but we will give it our all.”
    Felipe Massa: Do I feel any special pressure? No, no more than usual...
    Felipe Massa: Fernando and I were on rather different programmes from each other and that is the main reason for the difference on the time sheet.

if he didnt feel the pressure... then why did he feel he had to explain the gap between them...
    i think he does (and its normal) ... i hope it wont disturb his focus in doing his job!

I have to say that speed trap speed is not good... They are obviously running high downforce setting to stick the car to the corners .. We will see is the car comes good tomorrow and perhaps find a sweet spot...

I'm glad they can continue to test the car aero setting. Something we should have started doing in Australia if it wasn't for the rain.

Won't surprise me if we continue to get more competitive as we continue to understand the car. Add that with the updates later on, hopefully we can fight for the win again by Spain GP

Quote Originally Posted by piacio View Post
    Felipe Massa: Do I feel any special pressure? No, no more than usual...
    Felipe Massa: Fernando and I were on rather different programmes from each other and that is the main reason for the difference on the time sheet.

if he didnt feel the pressure... then why did he feel he had to explain the gap between them...
    i think he does (and its normal) ... i hope it wont disturb his focus in doing his job!
    ...because Ferrari probably know that various reporters and newspapers will be going on about the gap. Seems they use these press releases to answer any questions about performance that they anticipate. Also it's nice to have it clarified for the fans?
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Felipe Massa: Fernando and I were on rather different programmes from each other and that is the main reason for the difference on the time sheet.”

Pat Fry: “Both drivers had a very packed programme today, with slight differences between them, but focussed on the same three main points: a comparison between various aerodynamic configurations, an evaluation of the performance of the two types of tyre (Medium and Hard) that Pirelli have brought here and trying to find the best set-up.”

Scuderia Ferrari ‏@InsideFerrari: Stesso programma per Felipe - Same programme for Felipe
    So what is it then guys, different programmes or same???