Thread: The Turning Point

The Turning Point

Firstly, thanks everybody for your very insightful posts, particularly Scuderiafan who always seems to have something interesting to say!

Our position at the moment seems very dire, and every Ferrari fan is clearly very upset, but lets look at the reality.

In 2010 we nearly won the championship, last year we struggled to beat the Bulls and the Macs and only won one race. There appeared to be a knee-jerk reaction in that Costa was immediately removed for being too 'conservative.' I thought this was a big mistake, not particularly for his talents, but because he had been with us and worked alongside the top dog (Bryne) during the dream team era. Then, having thought about Costa leaving on a 'mutual' basis, I thought this was not Ferrari sacking Costa, but Costa wanting to join his old buddies at Merc and perhaps face a new challenge, on the other hand Domincali would get his scape goat, hence the 'mutual agreement.'

Anyways, Ferrari said this would be the turning point, in that we would be more creative now. Again, my immediate reaction was, 'great, lets show Newey what we are made of'. Then again, what were the repercussions of being 'creative'? You have to take more risks right?

Ok, so we took the risks and started afresh this year. It could have presumably gone two ways, being proper effing fast, are failing terribly. From the very first test it was the latter, our exhaust was too creative, too much of a risk to use. So then we went to plan B. Which was never gonna be as good as Plan A, and that is where we are now.

Next steps? Try to modify Plan A concept to work and put on car asap. That is why this Mugello test is not just important, but vital to this season. And the turning point? The turning point HAS to be Spain. If our car is not fast there, or at least close to the front, that's it.

The question then is, what happens next? Are we to be a midfield team from now on?
    Last edited by Ophidian786; 22nd April 2012 at 01:07.

If we fail, we'll keep on working, Ferrari is no midfield team, and clearly does not work to show anyone what the scuderia is capable of.
    Sometimes things don't go the way you want but we have to overcome all the difficulties, don't forget that what you call plan B, according to Fry has been in development since Jerez, therefore I think that the car is not so bad. I'd like to know how good Merc's, McLaren and RB would be if they had to go through such a sudden change right before starting with a brand new car.
    Muggello test surely will be very important but it's been mentioned that we'll use every minute until BCN so I wouldn't expect too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian786 View Post

In 2012 we nearly won the championship, last year we struggled to beat the Bulls and the Macs and only won one race.
    I think you mean 2010, hopefully this year will be much better!

FORZA FERRARI

Firstly, thanks everybody for your very insightful posts, particularly Scuderiafan who always seems to have something interesting to say!

Our position at the moment seems very dire, and every Ferrari fan is clearly very upset, but lets look at the reality.

In 2012 we nearly won the championship, last year we struggled to beat the Bulls and the Macs and only won one race. There appeared to be a knee-jerk reaction in that Costa was immediately removed for being too 'conservative.' I thought this was a big mistake, not particularly for his talents, but because he had been with us and worked alongside the top dog (Bryne) during the dream team era. Then, having thought about Costa leaving on a 'mutual' basis, I thought this was not Ferrari sacking Costa, but Costa wanting to join his old buddies at Merc and perhaps face a new challenge, on the other hand Domincali would get his scape goat, hence the 'mutual agreement.'

Anyways, Ferrari said this would be the turning point, in that we would be more creative now. Again, my immediate reaction was, 'great, lets show Newey what we are made of'. Then again, what were the repercussions of being 'creative'? You have to take more risks right?

Ok, so we took the risks and started afresh this year. It could have presumably gone two ways, being proper effing fast, are failing terribly. From the very first test it was the latter, our exhaust was too creative, too much of a risk to use. So then we went to plan B. Which was never gonna be as good as Plan A, and that is where we are now.

Next steps? Try to modify Plan A concept to work and put on car asap. That is why this Mugello test is not just important, but vital to this season. And the turning point? The turning point HAS to be Spain. If our car is not fast there, or at least close to the front, that's it.

The question then is, what happens next? Are we to be a midfield team from now on?
    thank you sir for yourkind words !
    That is a pretty good summarisation. I think the crucial thing is, apart from the exhausts, every update the team has brought be it wing, 'monkey seat' or whatever, it has worked, and progress made. I believe Fernando could have got within a second of pole today. But no matter. People would like to believe that Ferrari is no better than Williams, but IMO the car has almost as much race pace as the Lotus.

But the race, and rain hide Ferrari's main problems which as they have said seem to be top speed and traction.
    I hope the exhaust functioning properly can fix that also.
    As Alonso has said, I can't wait to see what the car can do, when it works properly.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

You "Re-Design" the current car and correct its short comings! You use this F2012 Race Car as a template / tool for next year's car and you keep developing this Race Car and improve everything about the car! You never stop developing the Race Car! Everything you do MUST lead to the next step, the next evolution!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Remember the MP4-18?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    Remember the MP4-18?
    That car never made it, was a Mclaren nightmare.FERRARI F2012 has allready won us a race.

It's really reassuring to see the optimism on here

I am seriously concerned about Spain though. Generally I feel as though if we are not fast there, that is it.

But I think it's right to believe that the car will evolve into a race winner. Just hopefully sooner rather than later.

This talk from people of sacking this guy or another really is scary, in every sport you need consistency in management to get anywhere. Restructuring is not always the right answer.

Np Scuderiafan

Will edit avanti!

T van R Guest
    Indeed & Especially his calculations are always accurate

WCC is already lost. The best we can hope for is Alonso WDC, but for that to happen the car has to dramatically improve, and Felipe has to take points away from rivals, it won't be easy. What I don't get is that last year Domenicali said 2011 would be our last disappointing year, surely he wouldn't have said that based on nothing, simply to placate fans/the media? this current period reminds me of the late 80s / early 90s. We had a competitive car in 1990 (like 2010) but not much to celebrate in the few years before and after.

At least we do not have the whole world spying on us so in effect we are now the dark horse, pardon the pun. We will know when we are back, when the other teams go running to FIA and anyone who will listen that we are doing something we shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by steelstallions View Post
    At least we do not have the whole world spying on us so in effect we are now the dark horse, pardon the pun. We will know when we are back, when the other teams go running to FIA and anyone who will listen that we are doing something we shouldn't.
    What happen to those days. Every year we would hear a complaint against Ferrari. So upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarichamp View Post
    I forgot about that. Every year other teams would complain about our car. They don't need to anymore. Just upsetting.
    WCC is already lost. The best we can hope for is Alonso WDC, but for that to happen the car has to dramatically improve, and Felipe has to take points away from rivals, it won't be easy. What I don't get is that last year Domenicali said 2011 would be our last disappointing year, surely he wouldn't have said that based on nothing, simply to placate fans/the media? this current period reminds me of the late 80s / early 90s. We had a competitive car in 1990 (like 2010) but not much to celebrate in the few years before and after.
    He said it to maintain our expectations until this year. But this year has gone dramatically wrong thus far. Just fingers crossed for Spain updates

If the updates work and the car is competitive the WDC is very well doable for Fernando. We have had only four races and he is just 10 points adrift. No problem for Fernando Alonso.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Damn right, Vettel is doing well again he only got points in 3 out of 4 races this year and still leads the WDC. The point is: are Red bull back to winning ways and scamper off as usual and build a huge points cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    If the updates work and the car is competitive the WDC is very well doable for Fernando. We have had only four races and he is just 10 points adrift. No problem for Fernando Alonso.

Not sure we can say Red Bull are back to winning ways after just 1 race win. We've seen how unpredictable the first 4 races. A different team could well be the dominant force in Barcelona.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    Not sure we can say Red Bull are back to winning ways after just 1 race win. We've seen how unpredictable the first 4 races. A different team could well be the dominant force in Barcelona.
    Yes ...........The Team with the red cars......FERRARI!!!!!!

We need more then Pat Fry.

We keep being told that the team needs to 'understand' the F2012, get it to work. For an organisation with Ferrari's resources I am surprised that it has yet to discover this 'hidden' speed.

Or is the car just an irredeemable dog?

I am dreading another season of 'oh well, there's next year!'...
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    Trying to be less angry..

If we are only 10 points away with this dog think about what we can achieve with a winning car. Very positive thing for me Felipe's Sunday performance.

We need a miracle guys, plan A or B, exhausts or traction, the gap between 10th place, which we belong, and 1st place is HHHUUUGGGEEE. Don't forget McLaren, Red BULL, Merc Lotus and all other teams are also planning upgrades. Having Vettel win the last GP only made things more competitive and all teams will want major upgrades.
    I just can't stand watching Force India and Williams and Sauber so comfortably in front of Ferrari, it breaks my heart.