Thread: Some classic Gilles

Some classic Gilles

“On the quick corners you can see the track marshals running for cover…”
    Great read
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

Enzo Ferrari had addressed his engineers tersely: “I don’t ever want to have a Ferrari retire for that reason again.” For Monaco, sure enough, Ferrari had fitted their biggest possible drive-shafts and Gilles had been able to bounce them off the guardrails and hit kerbs and apply full power down over the bumps without the slightest hint of trouble. On the Monday after that race, he had sent a Telex to the Commendatore, explaining a lot of things that had happened over the weekend. He finished it thus: “For 76 laps I tried to break your drive-shafts but I wasn’t successful. Thank you very much
    awesome post .

Nice read from the beggining to the end

Thanks for sharing

Great stuff mate - thanks for sharing it.

Gilles the Great! I'm sure that F2012 would be a toy in his hands!

Enzo Ferrari had addressed his engineers tersely: “I don’t ever want to have a Ferrari retire for that reason again.”
    Unfortunately that year Ferrari suffered 15 retirements (8 Gilles and 7 Pironi) in a 15 races championship.

I just noticed something funny....This article says
    The Ferrari felt reasonably good on full tanks,
    '. I remember Kimi giving a similar comment in 2009 - The ferrari is easier to drive when its heavy but becomes more difficult to handle as it gets lighter - or something similar and even this year we have seen that as the car gets lighter it gets less and less competitive. Is this a pure co-incidence or is it due to the way we set up our cars or build our cars??

coz the car lacks downforce..or just enough weight to put the car down..

When Kimi would have said...it was when refuelling was allowed. Today, the scenario is different as the cars start on heavier loads.

This is great article by Windsor. I also recommend this article on the his blog A Ferrari Day in the Spring – 1979