Thread: BTCC 2012 - Donington Park

BTCC 2012 - Donington Park

Qualifying

Points leader Jason Plato will line up in pole position on the grid for the first of tomorrow’s three Dunlop British Touring Car Championship races at Donington Park.

Plato’s new MG KX Momentum Racing MG6 set the fastest lap early in this afternoon’s qualifying session before rain thwarted his rivals’ chances on the swooping Leicestershire track.

It was the 36th pole of Plato’s illustrious career – achieved, significantly, in a car carrying maximum success ballast – and the former double Champion from Oxford was still ecstatic.

“This is one of the most satisfying of all,” he enthused. “We knew the rain was coming so popped in a fast lap early on, but what a result for the team and this car. It is still very new to racing but we got a win out of it at Brands Hatch and it just gets better and better.”

Fife’s Gordon Shedden will start alongside Plato from second on tomorrow's grid – his best lap in his Honda Yuasa Racing Team Honda Civic was just 0.054s adrift of Plato’s pole time. His Honda team-mate Matt Neal, the reigning Champion from Worcestershire, was third.

Shedden commented: “I had a few hairy moments out there – that is the maximum I could achieve with the car. But I’m on the front row so can’t complain too much given the problems I had at Brands Hatch.”

Neal added: “Even though my car has slightly less ballast than Jason’s the gap to him is still three tenths of a second. We have no more left in the tank. We need Jason to make a mistake tomorrow and he doesn’t make many of those.”

Another Honda driver, independent Andrew Jordan – one of the local favourites from Lichfield – was fourth in his Pirtek Racing Civic. He was one of the few drivers to improve his position as the track started to dry slightly in the session’s closing stages – another was Robert Collard who moved up to fifth in his eBay Motors BMW at the expense of Warwickshire ace Mat Jackson’s Redstone Racing Ford Focus ST.

Dave Newsham, who took pole two weeks ago at Brands Hatch, was this time seventh in his Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra. But perhaps the driver ruing not venturing back out in the final five minutes was Rob Austin – he’d earlier set the fastest first sector of all in his Rob Austin Racing Audi A4 before aborting the lap so wound up eighth overall. Jordan and Jackson’s respective team-mates – Jeff Smith and Aron Smith – were ninth and tenth.

Meanwhile, in total contrast to team-mate Plato, poor Andy Neate failed to set a lap time when his MG suffered a broken differential so will have to start 23rd and last on tomorrow’s grid.

The session was briefly red-flagged after Adam Morgan span his Speedworks Motorsport Toyota Avensis into the gravel trap at Redgate Corner as rain started to fall on the track. And there was a quick spin for Newsham’s team-mate Chris James at the exit of the chicane.

Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
    1. Jason Plato Triple 8 MG 1m10.604s
    2. Gordon Shedden Dynamics Honda 1m10.658s + 0.054s
    3. Matt Neal Dynamics Honda 1m10.911s + 0.307s
    4. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda 1m11.068s + 0.464s
    5. Rob Collard WSR BMW 1m11.071s + 0.467s
    6. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 1m11.205s + 0.601s
    7. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall 1m11.305s + 0.701s
    8. Rob Austin Austin Audi 1m11.322s + 0.718s
    9. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda 1m11.443s + 0.839s
    10. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford 1m11.568s + 0.964s
    11. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 1m11.614s + 1.010s
    12. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW 1m11.654s + 1.050s
    13. Daniel Welch Welch Proton 1m11.954s + 1.350s
    14. Nick Foster WSR BMW 1m11.982s + 1.378s
    15. Chris James ES Vauxhall 1m12.067s + 1.463s
    16. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 1m12.277s + 1.673s
    17. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall 1m12.409s + 1.805s
    18. Tony Gilham Gilham Honda 1m12.594s + 1.990s
    19. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen 1m12.891s + 2.287s
    20. Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 1m13.016s + 2.412s
    21. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 1m17.117s + 6.513s
    22. John Thorne Thorney Vauxhall 1m29.668s + 19.064s
    23. Andy Neate Triple 8 MG
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

This is going to be cracking first race. Reckon be good day of racing, looking forward to it.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Plato and Shedden on the front row, not a bad start to the weekend for my fantasy team!

The future is RED

Race 1 - Results

Mat Jackson has won a thrill-a-minute opening Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship race at Donington Park.

It was Robert Collard who led the opening five laps after a quite sensational start in his eBay Motors BMW took him from fifth on the grid into first place at the opening bend.

On the sixth lap the chasing Jason Plato’s MG KX Momentum Racing MG6, which had started from pole position, finally looked set to overtake him under braking for the chicane.

But the MG received a minor tap from Jackson’s closely following Redstone Racing Ford Focus ST. This delayed both Plato and in particular Collard and allowed Jackson (pictured) through into the lead, followed by the Honda Yuasa Racing Team Honda Civics of Gordon Shedden and Matt Neal.

This is how it would stay to the finish with Jackson, who also set the race’s fastest lap, running out the winner by less than a second from Shedden. Neal was able to take third after spending the rest of the race skilfully holding back the frustrated Plato.

Warwickshire’s Jackson becomes the fourth different winner in as many races and his victory is his second at his home circuit in 12 months. He said: “I was a bit surprised how early Jason braked for the chicane and that’s why there was contact – the back end of my car was out of shape as I was trying to miss him. But that opened the door and I was through. I’m really pleased with this result because to hold off one of the factory Civics really shows how we’ve moved the Focus on.”

Shedden added: “The incident with Mat, Rob and Jason worked in my favour but after that, as much as I tried, I couldn’t quite get on terms with Mat. He made one error with a couple of laps to go at the chicane and I closed up but he drove the two last laps very well. Still, a clean run to second is good considering what happened two weeks ago at Brands Hatch.”

Neal commented: “Jason was on to me like a rash after he’d been delayed and I really had to drive on my mirrors. When it’s like that you’re on the defensive the whole time so I couldn’t get after Mat and Gordon, but a ‘2-3’ for our team is a good start to the day.”

eBay Motors’ Tom Onslow-Cole took fifth after just staying ahead of Andrew Jordan’s Pirtek Racing Honda Civic on the dash to the line. Dave Newsham, always in the fight, was seventh in his Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra ahead of Redstone’s Aron Smith and Frank Wrathall in his Dynojet Toyota Avensis – both of whom got by the struggling Collard in the closing laps.

There was drama further down the order, too, as Pirtek’s Jeff Smith took 13th after a tangle with Tony Gilham’s Team HARD. Civic and Adam Morgan’s Speedworks Toyota Avensis – which had been ahead of both – at the final bend.

Meanwhile Andy Neate’s factory MG recovered to take 16th after a couple of spills and Ollie Jackson and Rob Austin retired their AmD Tuning.com VW Golf and Rob Austin Racing Audi A4 respectively in the pit lane with engine-related problems. The opening bend also accounted for Redstone’s Liam Griffin and Lea Wood’s BINZ Racing Vauxhall Vectra, both touring back to the pits with collision damage to their cars. Tony Hughes last only a lap longer before retiring his car after its suspension was broken in a collision with team-mate Morgan!

Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
    1. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 19m11.104s
    2. Gordon Shedden Honda + 0.229s
    3. Matt Neal Honda + 5.600s
    4. Jason Plato MG + 5.832s
    5. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW + 8.656s
    6. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda + 8.768s
    7. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall + 11.750s
    8. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford + 14.484s
    9. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota + 20.384s
    10. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 24.109s
    11. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 36.021s
    12. Daniel Welch Welch Proton + 40.216s
    13. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda + 45.844s
    14. Tony Gilham Gilham Honda + 46.081s
    15. Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota + 46.780s
    16. Andy Neate MG + 58.982s
    17. Chris James ES Vauxhall + 1m11.552s

Retirements:
    Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen 11 laps
    Rob Austin Austin Audi 6 laps
    Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 2 laps
    Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 1 lap
    Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall 1 lap
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

British Touring Car Championship frontrunner Rob Austin has withdrawn from the rest of the Donington Park weekend due to engine problems.

Austin, who was fifth in the standings after the first meeting at Brands Hatch, suffered a spark plug-related engine problem in qualifying on Saturday with his Audi A4. A spare unit was installed overnight, but further problems forced him to retire from the race one, and the rest of the event.

"It's heartbreaking," said Austin. "It's a real dent in our championship campaign.

"We've got to look forward to [the next round at] Thruxton now."

Austin's withdrawal follows that of John Thorne, leaving 21 cars for Sunday's second and third races.

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Race 2 - Results

Gordon Shedden took his first win of the season in the second British Touring Car Championship race at Donington Park on Sunday afternoon.

The Motorbase Ford of Mat Jackson made a great start from pole and led Shedden by 2.3 seconds at the end of the opening lap. But Jackson's work was undone when a clash between Jason Plato's MG and the WSR BMW of Rob Collard at the Goddards chicane brought out the safety car.

Shedden was quicker after the restart and on lap five of 17 he moved his Honda alongside Jackson out of Coppice and secured the lead at Goddards.

While Shedden drew away, his team-mate Matt Neal started applying pressure to the ballast-laden Jackson. He passed the Focus just before half-distance.

Neal edged towards Shedden, but was never close enough to challenge, while race one winner Jackson held off Dave Newsham's ES Vauxhall Vectra to complete the podium.

Newsham had run behind the WSR BMW of Tom Onslow-Cole and Andrew Jordan's Eurotech Honda early on. As the BMW struggled with tyre wear, Jordan attacked and got a run on Onslow-Cole out of the Old Hairpin.

Jordan looked set to secure the place at McLeans, but Newsham tried to follow him through and nudged the Honda, dropping Jordan back to sixth and allowing the Vauxhall to jump from sixth to fourth. Newsham then pulled clear.

Jordan overtook Onslow-Cole shortly afterwards and, as the BMW fell down the order, Jeff Smith was able to make it four NGTC Hondas in the top six with his Eurotech example.

Tony Gilham (S2000 Honda Civic), a recovering Collard and Motorbase's Aron Smith all demoted Onslow-Cole further in the closing stages to leave the BMW driver 10th.

After his clash with Collard, which put the MG into the barriers, Plato made several pitstops and eventually came home 17th and last, four laps down.

The field had already been reduced to 20 prior to the race, with Ollie Jackson's AmD Volkswagen joining Rob Austin and John Thorne as withdrawals, due to engine issues.

Plato
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Plato
    just wait till someone does it to him, be throwing his dummy out of his pram.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Mat Jackson took his second win of the day in a dramatic British Touring Car Championship reversed-grid race at Donington Park on Sunday.

A fast start from row two gave the Motorbase Ford Focus driver the lead into Redgate, but a slide when Jackson got there allowed Dave Newsham's ES Racing Vauxhall Vectra and Rob Collard's WSR BMW to go by.

A mistake by Collard at the Old Hairpin on lap three caused mayhem. As he returned to the track he forced his team-mate Tom Onslow-Cole off the road and Matt Neal to lift in his works Honda. That resulted in contact with Andrew Jordan's Eurotech Civic and both Hondas spun, with Neal retiring.

At the same time Jackson found a way by Newsham to take the lead just as the safety car was scrambled.

Jackson led from the restart as Newsham started to drop back. Collard pressed Jackson before his tyres overheated and he too fell back.

Gordon Shedden's Honda then moved into second with six laps to go when Collard had another moment at the Old Hairpin and started closing on Jackson.

Even quicker, however, was Jason Plato's works MG. After starting 17th, Plato had made it into ninth before the safety car. He continued slicing his way through the field. He made it by Collard at the Old Hairpin the lap after Shedden and immediately carved into the deficit to the lead duo.

The top three were together going onto the final lap and Plato pushed Shedden from behind at the chicane to grab second, the result thus remaining provisional.

Their battle was enough to help Jackson hold on to become the first two-time victor of the 2012 season.

Some way behind the leading trio came Tony Gilham in the ex-Shedden S2000 Honda Civic to score his best BTCC result. He pipped the struggling Collard in the closing moments, while polesitter Jeff Smith took sixth for Eurotech.

Team-mate Jordan, who struggled after the clash with Neal, came home seventh, while Frank Wrathall (Dynojet Toyota) and Daniel Welch (Welch Proton) completed the top nine.

After being the innocent victim of Collard's off, Onslow-Cole eventually made it back into the top 10.

Results - 19 laps:

Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
    1. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 24m38.001s
    2. Jason Plato MG + 1.731s
    3. Gordon Shedden Honda + 2.617s
    4. Tony Gilham Gilham Honda + 7.300s
    5. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 7.838s
    6. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda + 8.815s
    7. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda + 10.881s
    8. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota + 11.848s
    9. Daniel Welch Welch Proton + 13.900s
    10. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW + 17.444s
    11. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall + 19.134s
    12. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford + 22.718s
    13. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 26.682s
    14. Chris James ES Vauxhall + 32.228s
    15. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford + 33.104s
    16. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota + 44.722s

Retirements:

Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall 18 laps
    Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 10 laps
    Andy Neate MG 3 laps
    Matt Neal Honda 2 laps

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    just wait till someone does it to him, be throwing his dummy out of his pram.
    I much prefer it when Plato is the bad boy

He's like Alonso. Can be bloody annoying but is incredibly entertaining to watch. He's also the best driver on the grid.

I do remember Neal doing something similar there a year or so ago. He doesn't moan as much as Plato though so his indiscretions are always overlooked.

I do feel for Flash though cos he drove a stormer today

Jackson loses race three win

Mat Jackson has been excluded from victory in Donington Park’s third Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship race for a technical infringement.

Officials found after the race his Redstone Racing Ford Focus ST had exceeded permitted turbo boost limits.

It means Gordon Shedden inherits the win ahead of Jason Plato and Tony Gilham.

Shedden’s Honda Yuasa Racing Team Honda Civic had crossed the line in third place.

But he was promoted to second after officials had given Plato a two-second time penalty after his MG KX Momentum Racing MG6 had bumped the Scot’s Honda off the track at the final bend.

This initially dropped Plato back to third which now becomes second following Jackson’s exclusion.

Similarly it means a first ever top-three result for Gilham who had crossed the line in fourth in his Team HARD. Honda Civic.

Provisionally a revised championship points table reads: 1, Jason Plato 84; 2 Matt Neal 80; 3, Andrew Jordan 76; 4, Robert Collard 71; 5, Gordon Shedden 69; 6 Mat Jackson 60 etc.
    Forza Ferrari

The stewards must have finally left the pub heheh

Correction: Alan Gow must have finally allowed the stewards to leave the pub!