Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Mugello F1 testing,1-3 May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    How did we do mates and matesses?
    Massa did 106 laps, can't see any significant new parts on the car. That's the only conclusion I can draw since the lap times don't tell anything in testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
    But it could also mean they will mantain the Acer tubes, but in conjunction with a slimmer engine cover...Anyway, it seems Ferrari is still trying to make their version work. We will see (tomorrow?) if we heading to the Mclaren-Red Bull exhaust type , or to a new "Acer ducts" version.
    Well, the key here is to use the exhaust gas to blow the side of the diffuser. With that inward exhaust, we are not doing that so that cannot be our permanent feature.

Either we make the layout we saw yesterday work, or we need something new. Somehow we need to get the exhaust gas there to seal the diffuser, that's where all the teams are aiming for. Which ever method it may be...

"It is always better to run the new parts, but the programme was like that for Fernando to try the new exhaust yesterday and for me to try the old one today to do the back-to-back," said the Brazilian.

"Tomorrow we will run some new pieces which are arriving this evening. It won't be everything, as everything will be ready for Barcelona

according to massa, let the new parts come, and the new exhaust was tried on tuesday, comparison with original today by massa!

New turning vanes ran today

Fernando in Mugello

Are the nose ducts ONE piece? I know that it must be the picture but it seems like the black pieces are from a different material...

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Fernando in Mugello

car looks better no!?

Quote Originally Posted by croALOfanclub View Post
    car looks better no!?
    It does look better...more stuck to the ground and stable.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    and thats before the big updates

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Not to mention (and I fully realize this is a test) but when was the last time Massa was that close to the daily top times? .6 seconds off is a LOT better than he's been doing lately. I'm getting a little bit of hope that this car is going the right direction. 'Nando hitting some 1.21's tomorrow will make me feel even better.

Massa: “Mugello is a sensational circuit!”5.2.2012

Scarperia, 2 May – It’s a case of back to the good old days for Felipe Massa and the Scuderia, to a time when, free of regulatory restrictions, they would rack up mile after mile on the Mugello track, as they worked on developing the Formula 1 cars. Unfortunately, this Tuscan interlude is only three days long and yesterday, the first of those was run almost entirely in the rain.

However, today the sun was an almost constant companion and the drivers were able to fully enjoy the delights of this fantastic track, nestling in the hills of the Tuscan Appenines. Of the fourteen drivers on track today, Felipe Massa and Michael Schumacher are the two who know it best, especially the German, having spent so many hours here at the wheel of a Formula 1 car. And the very same Michael used almost every minute of the eight hours of green flag time theoretically available, completing 144 laps in his Mercedes. Felipe was not far off his former team-mate, putting together 106 laps.

“I really enjoyed driving here at Mugello again as it is a sensational track,” said Felipe at the end of the day. “It was here that I did my first race in Europe when I was a kid and also my first test in a Formula 1 car, after which came many more with Ferrari. It’s true this track is very different to the ones we usually race on, although there are similarities to some, such as Barcelona, before they had made the modification to the chicane in the third sector, or to the Silverstone track. However, testing is always important for a driver, because you learn a lot of things to do with the handling of the car: it’s not enough to stay in the simulator which, as it’s name implies, only simulates, so for us, driving on the actual tarmac is essential.

And that’s why today is still useful, both for me and for the team, despite the fact the car was in almost identical trim to the one I drove in Bahrain. We worked mainly on the tyres, on studying their behaviour over short and long distances and also looked at a handful of aerodynamic components, as well as various different set-ups on the car. We got through almost the entire programme and tomorrow it will be down to Fernando to experiment with some of the new parts we have prepared for the start of the European season.

“It’s obvious we need to make a good step forward as soon as possible if we want to be competitive,” continued Felipe. “I am confident about the work we have done in these past few weeks, but we won’t really know if we have reached our targets until we get to Barcelona. We can be sure the other teams have also worked a lot, so if we want to make progress, we will have had to make a significant leap forward in performance terms. It is a very long championship, but we need to make up ground in the next three to five races if want to achieve our goals and this is a key moment to improve our situation.”

Today, Fernando was in meetings with Luca di Montezemolo and Stefano Domenicali in Maranello and tomorrow, it will be down to him to finish the work on track, while back at the factory, everyone is pushing right to the very last moment on the design and production of new parts. Every extra available work day is an asset not to be wasted.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...l-circuit.aspx
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
    Not to mention (and I fully realize this is a test) but when was the last time Massa was that close to the daily top times? .6 seconds off is a LOT better than he's been doing lately. I'm getting a little bit of hope that this car is going the right direction. 'Nando hitting some 1.21's tomorrow will make me feel even better.
    And he had that big knight horse staff thing on his car when setting his time.
    Can't a wait to see proper exhaust, and btw, how refreshing is it to say that for once, Ferrari is doing its own thing (seemingly) and not copying McLaren, Sauber, RedBull.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quite impressive how you can see virtually the entire lap at Mugello.

Quote Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
    You do realize, that this is testing right? You can't read ANYTHING from the times.

Don't get too excited guys, that way you can be only happily surprised...

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    You do realize, that this is testing right? You can't read ANYTHING from the times.

Don't get too excited guys, that way you can be only happily surprised...
    didnt he mention in his post he realizes this is a test?
    "Losing Michael from Formula One is not like losing your arm or leg. It’s like losing your torso. It’s like removing America from the world map and hoping that somehow Spain can fill the void." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Are the nose ducts ONE piece? I know that it must be the picture but it seems like the black pieces are from a different material...
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by nose ducts mate. What is new is the turning vanes under the nose. See picture below.

Quote Originally Posted by c-man View Post
    didnt he mention in his post he realizes this is a test?
    Hehe... this bracket didn't fully catch my attention But the meaning of my post is unchanged

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Hehe... this bracket didn't fully catch my attention But the meaning of my post is unchanged
    Its cool. I didn't check the pre-season testing times but I seem to remember Felipe's times being considerably further off the "pace setters" at the time. Maybe I'm wrong but it was just good to see Felipe with some good times for once.

The car looks a lot more planted, no twitchiness. It looks really comfortable at both low and high speed corners. Have to say, not the biggest fan of Massa, but he's driving beautifully there.

That video has given me a serious confidence boost.

Will have to wait and see if the confidence is ill-founded.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian786 View Post
    The car looks a lot more planted, no twitchiness. It looks really comfortable at both low and high speed corners. Have to say, not the biggest fan of Massa, but he's driving beautifully there.

That video has given me a serious confidence boost.

Will have to wait and see if the confidence is ill-founded.
    Just to clarify that video is from day one when Alonso was behind the wheel running a different (newer) exhaust to today's.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

And it's going to be another sunny day later today at Mugello.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    "It is always better to run the new parts, but the programme was like that for Fernando to try the new exhaust yesterday and for me to try the old one today to do the back-to-back," said the Brazilian.

"Tomorrow we will run some new pieces which are arriving this evening. It won't be everything, as everything will be ready for Barcelona

according to massa, let the new parts come, and the new exhaust was tried on tuesday, comparison with original today by massa!
    They should have run either Massa or Fernando, both on tuesday and wednesday..

Now I know that they get the telemetrics, but how about the actual drive-feeling?

Now what they are doing is running Fernando with the new exhaust system (tuesday), and then Felipe today (wednesday) with the old one.. It would have been better for Fernando to run both with the new and then with the old one not alone to get more data but to get more precise data as well..

Go figure..

Just look at Lotus, they did the right decision running Romain on 2 days rather than running Kimi one day and Romain the other..

The car may have improved a little, but to say "the car looks better, more planted, etc..." seems too much for me. Remember this is a different circuit, we hadn't seen the car's behaviour here, and also, the video quality is not perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalSon View Post
    Just to clarify that video is from day one when Alonso was behind the wheel running a different (newer) exhaust to today's.
    lol, that explains a lot :P

Cheers mate.

wow.. it seems like we r making progress.. not much but with the same car as Bahrain.. it looks ready for upgrades.. from a personal perspective i'm not asking for much at Spain but significantly faster by 5 or 6 tenths.. that's all.. that means, we get into Q3 safe with both our cars and start catching up to the podium places.. in and after monaco.. we got some more upgrades to come and then we can think about further plans.. for now, i still feel we r still in the damage control stage....
    Always the best place to discuss facts and to outnumber RBR and Mclaren fans... Do join for constant updates of the brand that is Formula1 :)
    Formula1 Facebook Group
    Thank YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
    The car may have improved a little, but to say "the car looks better, more planted, etc..." seems too much for me. Remember this is a different circuit, we hadn't seen the car's behaviour here, and also, the video quality is not perfect...
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see my friend.

If there is an improvement, I actually don't think it will be predominantly because of the new parts. I think it will be more related to the car setup, which I guess you could say is one and the same thing.

From those limited observations, it is apparent that the car is less of a 'handful.' That is, in my opinion.

Can someone please point me to the video? One of those days here.

I will try and watch it tomorrow.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Can someone please point me to the video? One of those days here.

I will try and watch it tomorrow.
    I think they were referring to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Fernando in Mugello

The new turning vanes look similar to RBR's design.

Interesting tweet by NobleF1:

"NobleF1: Will be interesting to see the first hints of Ferrari's update package today too"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari_Fanatic View Post
    and thats before the big updates
    err.. what am i missing? I thought this test was THE BIG ONE and this is where we were bringing the big updates.
    Sorry, have not been following whats happening over the last 2 days as i was traveling on work.

How are we doing with the updates? Is it our B spec car? How does the future look?
    Silently, like a shadow