Thread: Who was Villeneuve

Thumbs up Who was Villeneuve

The following article has been published with kind permission of “Gazzetta dello Sport”

Who was Gilles Villeneuve? A madman you might say at first, taking him at face value. A champion who came out of nowhere, according to others. Or maybe a miracle in human form who, when all was said and done, decided to leave, aware he was becoming a legendary figure. In all probability, Villenueve was all three of these things, with the awareness that he could not live an ordinary life and therefore put up with the consequences. It was as if every step, every gesture, every exuberance was a chapter in a book, the book that was his life. In this respect, he was similar to another champion he could never have known, but whom he loved, thanks to the tales told him by Ferrari: Tazio Nuvolari. Different backgrounds, but almost identical destinies. Tazio came from a well to do Mantua family and he was very wealthy even before he started racing, but from that point on, he set about doing a thorough job of building the legend, with a series of feats that pushed the boundaries of what is possible.

Villeneuve did the same, almost as though there was a parallel consciousness guiding his decisions. Let’s talk about him being mad. How else can one describe someone who, as a snowmobile racer, lived in a metal motorhome with his wife and children, with the water turning to ice in the pipes during the terrible Canadian winters? He would go out at night in just a T-shirt, to fix the problem, heating the pipes with a welding torch. And that’s just one of the terrifying tales told me back then by his wife Joann. She was his angel, his private secretary, manager, cook, mother to his children, his rock during the worst times, the woman with whom he always found solace. Indeed, it is a fact that, at one point, Gilles lost his head over another woman, but it did not lead to a break up. Maybe time would heal everything and so it turned out. It took time and it was slow, difficult and painful for Joann, Jacques and Melanie.

Villeneuve’s life was like an action movie, full of spectacular, exciting, diabolical scenarios. There were racing incidents that could not be repeated today, given that now, the slightest error on track is analysed by inflexible stewards who reason with the mentality of intransigent policemen whose job it is to enforce the rules of the road. For the duel with Arnoux at Dijon, Gilles would have been banned for a year. For his three-wheeled lap of Zandvoort or the one with the wing hanging off at Montreal, he would have been disqualified for a few months. And since the governing body can also call on the pretext of intervening in matters of driver behaviour outside the circuits, what sort of judgement would have been passed on Villeneuve when he used a helicopter to buzz Scheckter’s red Ferrari on the motorway, aiming nose down like a guided missile, missing the car by just a few centimetres?

A madman, exactly. Only a madman could have contemplated entering the sophisticated world of Formula 1, where everyone was already flying First Class or in private planes, turning up with a mobile home behind a truck, to live day and night in the garage, woken by the strident cries of the rebuilt engines being fired up just a few hours before going out on track. Him, the family and an Alsatian dog. Just crazy. That was one Villeneuve. But, as soon as qualifying for a grand prix was over, he would be off to play with toy cars with his kids, while his wife Joann, did the cooking for the Ferrari mechanics. It was another time, a time that no longer exists, that stopped at that moment in the life of Gilles the comet. It was in his motorhome that the hero of the impossible came to life, ready to rouse the crowds. It was within these four walls of steel that the warrior put on his armour and kissed his children before stepping into the arena. This is where the deeds of a driver who feared no one began. He had the courage to say of Lauda, “I can take half a second a lap off him on any track in any car.” He harboured an almost religious respect for Ronnie Peterson, but commented, “he is my idol, but if I want I can brake twenty metres later than him into every corner…” These things were said unconsciously rather than with arrogance, backed up by the fact that his level of car control has never been seen since in F1.

Cleary this did not find favour with his colleagues. He probably only had three real friends: Patrick Tambay, Jody Scheckter and, only in some ways, Bruno Giacomelli. It was Tambay who, having met him in Can-Am races in Canada, offered him hospitality and helped him settle in when Gilles moved to the South of France when he joined Ferrari. Scheckter, in his early days in F1 was as mad as he was, a true brother and a tough and true team-mate. Giacomelli was the last to share with Villeneuve the unreal outings in Tullio Abate’s powerboats on the Cote d’Azur, with the boat coming back to harbour requiring scrapping rather than repair, so bad was the damage. But the others did not like Gilles and how could they? For the Italian drivers, and at that time there were plenty of good ones, he snatched their chance of a Ferrari drive. As for the others, Gilles always seemed to be selfish, heading straight down his chosen path, not giving a damn if he put the lives of others at risk. And it has to be said there were sound reasons why they were not completely wrong. However, the appeal Villeneuve had for the general public has remained without equal. Because at a time when the economy was going well and there were no stock market crashes, no workers on a minimum wage, or worries of any kind, he shattered this cosy feeling of wellbeing, by going to the very edge in showing that there could still be a life consisting of self-made risks and improvisation, that, in short, life could be a gamble. With him around, every race was a new film with a fresh script. Villeneuve who was the very first to dominate with the Ferrari turbo at Monaco, Villeneuve who held off a wild pack of champions at Jarama, Villeneuve pulling off impossible overtaking moves everywhere. He was a show within the show. Then there was Villeneuve challenging an F104 jet at Istana airport, Villeneuve who could cut the mustard on water too, winning a speedboat race at Cernobbio, Villeneuve who spun his Ferrari 328 in a tunnel on the Autostrada dei Fiori, overtaking a truck, just to frighten Scheckter who was alongside him. Or Villeneuve who, in a completely insane challenge on the streets of Sao Paolo on the morning of the Grand Prix, takes off over the pavement in a green Fiat 850, lands in the middle of a crossroad and, with a kamikaze move, avoids the cars coming toward him from all sides to emerge “victorious,” leaving the man who had challenged him, the journalist, Enrico Benzing, a competent driver but not as uninhibited as the Canadian, completely dumbfounded.

In every way, Gilles lived his life to the extreme. Even in the way he secretly tried to become an accomplished trumpet player, taking the instrument everywhere with him. One evening, in a restaurant in Zeltweg, he pulled it out of a case to delight Forghieri, Regazzoni, the writer and a colleague, Nestore Morosini. In moments like these, he was adorable, even if usually, he was reasonably cold, closed into his own little world, in which at one point entered an element unknown to him, namely money, which required setting up a financial company in Lichenstein for investments.

When he died, everyone had already been resigned to it for a while. There was something in the air that meant it could have happened at any moment. Few people went to say their final farewell at the hospital in Lovanio and you could count the drivers on the fingers of one hand. And so, at precisely the moment when this life ended and mutated into a legend, in the pits there was an icy indifference. It was as though the paddock had freed itself from a troublesome element that was hard to swallow. No one realised that without Villeneuve, F1 would be a different thing altogether.

Pino Allievi

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...illeneuve.aspx
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Great read
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

Thanks for posting mate, fantastic read!

The future is RED

Salut Gilles
    Forza Ferrari

Great post.Thanks!

Brilliant story of the man. Thank you for posting.

If anyone want's to do more reading about Gilles then I fully recommend this book

http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...d=o3eCk-_EXRIC
    Forza Ferrari

I can`t believe its 30 years now.

Salut Gilles!

As long as the red cars are racing, you shall never be forgotten!

Thanks for sharing the story.

Ferrari - Villeneuve. Those two words today are mentioned one with other.

30 years ago world lost great person, his family lost loving father, Enzo lost one of his sons, Tifozi and many fans lost one of the best drivers ever in history of F1 but we all gained the passion he shared with us. Forza Gilles sei sempre nei nostri cuori !

Forza Gilles sei sempre nei nostri cuori !

Salut Gilles
    Last edited by Forza 27; 8th May 2012 at 14:24.

Great post cheers for posting

30 years!!! wow, never be forgotten Gilles.

Salut Gilles sempre pensando a te
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    If anyone want's to do more reading about Gilles then I fully recommend this book

http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...d=o3eCk-_EXRIC
    Yep, seconding that recommendation.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Forza 27 View Post

Salut Gilles
    Thats how I will always remember him.

Forza Gil!

Wonderful film, Grazie.

Really brilliant photos

Commemoration at Circuit Zolder: http://www.sfcgenk.be/?page=foto

Salut, Gilles.

Memories of a legend – Gilles Villeneuve in close-up

Maranello, 8 May – As part of the special celebrations held today at the Fiorano Circuit, in memory of Gilles Villeneuve, there was a round table discussion chaired by respected Gazzetta dello Sport writer, Pino Allievi, which recalled Gilles Villeneuve through recollections and films from that era. From the first phone call from Enzo Ferrari to the signing of the contract, on 29 August 1977, those present looked back at Villeneuve’s time with Ferrari and how he became a legend that galvanised all of Italy, when it was going through a period of great change.

His son Jacques recalls the ten years he spent alongside his father: “The whole family always went to the races and we lived in the motorhome…it was much better than going to school! Most of the memories I have are from the race track, sitting down watching the races. So ninety percent of what I remember of my father is him as a driver, not home very often, always on the go and if he wasn’t in a car, then it was a helicopter or a plane. But that seemed normal, he was my father. I think I am lucky to be driving at a time when cars are safer, otherwise maybe I’d be dead too, given that like him, by nature, I tend to go always right to the limit.” Jacques was asked how he thought his father would have reacted to him racing. “He would have been happy, because it was his dream to see me become a racing driver.”

On this subject, Felipe and Fernando also revealed they had received a lot of support from their parents. “My father always helped me, because he raced too,” said Felipe. “Even if he was doing it for fun in touring cars and was not a professional driver. I dreamed of racing from when I was a kid and racing like my dad meant everything to me. From the start in go-karts to my arrival in Formula 1, he has always been close to me.” The father figure was also a vital element for Fernando. “Especially at the start, when he wanted my sister to race and built her a kart. Luckily for me, she didn’t like it, so I took over and that’s how it all started. I was two and a half years old and he had tied a rope to the back of the kart so I couldn’t crash. I can imagine it can’t have been too much fun, hanging onto a rope after working all week, but he definitely had a great passion for it.” Both drivers were too young to have known Gilles, but they are well aware of the legend through hearing of his deeds and in fact, both of them have been team-mates with Jacques. “The tales about him were some of the most amazing I’ve ever heard of in Formula 1 and he had a driving style and an aggressive nature at the wheel that was out of the ordinary,” said Felipe.

For Fernando, there can be no better tribute than that of footage from that time, as well as the feelings generated by his talent, the fact he is remembered for memorable climbs back up the field and the high esteem in which he is held, especially within Ferrari. Asked if the Formula 1 of today could have coped with his temperament, Ferrari Vice President Piero Ferrari had this to say: “Gilles had an aggressive driving style, but was never incorrect in his dealings with his adversaries. Things are very different today, everything is controlled, especially the cars. And if today, a driver drives in an aggressive fashion, then he is likely to be slow, because now you need a special driving style to set quick times.” Jacques sees impropriety among the drivers of today that was not there before. In the past, accidents would occur and those involved were heroes, not victims or creators of incorrect moves.

An opinion shared by Fernando, who also feels that some of a driver’s tasks today involve executing mechanical actions, that are almost robotic, while Felipe called into question the difference between the contemporary Formula 1 cars, with high downforce levels and those from a time when mechanical grip meant they often had to be driven sideways.

Bringing to an end this thrilling account were the words of Mauro Forghieri, who was Technical Director at the Scuderia in the Villeneuve era. “He wasn’t taking part in the World Championship, he was simply racing in each race and that was it for him. He would race with a hastily put together chassis because, at the time, there were only one hundred and sixty two of us, including Commendatore Ferrari and we did not have time to build new cars. These cars were very demanding to drive physically and today, you just could not race with them.”

"Villeneuve pure momentum, Fernando the best of all"

Maranello, 8 May – “Villeneuve was amazing in terms of momentum. But then, his temperament would cost him points and that would affect his standing at the end of the season. Alonso, especially in the races, is the best driver in the world.” This comparison of the unforgettable Gilles and one of the two current Scuderia drivers came from Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo on the day dedicated to the thirtieth anniversary of the death of the Canadian driver. “Gilles gave the public what they wanted. And he did not care about the championship, he drove each race as it came. Maybe I was less close to him than I was to my other drivers such as Lauda, Regazzoni or Reutemann. I recall when Enzo Ferrari told me he’d spotted a youngster with great temperament and talent who raced snowmobiles in Canada.

He had a pre-contract with McLaren, but Ferrari wanted to bring a breath of fresh air into the team. He was an extraordinary driver and human being. We must not be prisoners to the past, but if one looks at football, F1, politics, Italy back then, one can see that human relations were different and better. But we look ahead and to have Gilles’ old mechanics here alongside Alonso and Massa shows that Ferrari thinks of the future while looking to the past, which is unique in the world.” Asked about the chances of hiring drivers who maybe lack discipline but have plenty of heart, Montezemolo replied, “With F1 the way it is today, there would be no place at Ferrari for an undisciplined driver,” while on the subject of the team’s start to this season, he did not hide a slight feeling of disappointment. “I got a shock from the way we started, as I was not expecting it. I had in mind a different scenario. There have been four races and we have won one of them.

So we are there abouts and now we have to make a leap forward in terms of quality to have a more competitive car. I have noticed the engineers seem more confident and now we will see what happens in Spain. I have said to those around me that maybe we have been too engrossed in ourselves in Maranello, without seeing what is going on around us, without bringing in some fresh air from other sources. These regulations which mistakenly make aerodynamics the key factor in determining who wins or loses, have convinced us to bring into the team some greater experience in this area of aerodynamics to try and change this situation.” Fernando Alonso was a bit more optimistic, going into his home race, which takes place this weekend at the Barcelona circuit. “We have significant updates for Spain, as indeed will our competitors and that means we have to think it will not be easy. We are not in an easy situation and we know we must do our best. However, the aim is to fight right down to the last lap. We will bring new parts, we will never give up and our aim is to win the World Championship.”

Well done Ferrari for paying tribute to Gilles.
    In this difficult situation we are in the championship we've found the time for this event.
    Bravo!!!!
    I'm very proud of my Team.
    The Ferrari Team!!!