Thread: Alonso looking forward to home race

Alonso looking forward to home race

Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso says racing in his home country is 'very special' ahead of the upcoming Spanish Grand Prix.

Alonso won the Barcelona race in 2006 en route to his second world championship title.And the 30-year-old, who sits fifth in this year's driver standings, is hoping strong support from the locals will spur him to victory in Sunday's race.

"Racing in Spain is something unique for me, and I only do it twice a year, in Valencia and Barcelona, and it's something that I enjoy very much," Alonso said.
    click here!

"There is the support from everyone in the grandstand, there is the support from the whole country that you feel when you arrive in the hotel, when you see the news on TV.

"There is a lot of attention for that particular weekend, a lot of support, everyone wishing you the best. It's a very good experience that you remember ever year, it becomes very special."

Alonso believes competing in his home country will give him a slight advantage on Sunday.

The Spaniard is just 10 points behind standings leader Sebastian Vettel after four races in 2012.

"I think you pay extra attention to the details in the car, the set-up, the preparation for the race, and you give it 101 percent at that weekend (when you race in your home country)," he said.

"I think the extra time lap comes at your home Grand Prix because you take care of everything with a little more attention."

Alonso hailed his win at Barcelona in 2006 as 'probably the best memory' he has from any win, while he also took the opportunity to declare his pride in representing Spain in Formula One.

"I race with the Spanish flag always on my helmet, all my career, and I am so proud to represent the Spanish flag around the world and I feel proud of that," he said.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

I think we are all looking forward for this race because (as Luca D said yesterday) this is the "make or break" moment for us!

Hoping for his 2nd Spanish GP victory this weekend...and not by luck but by pace of the Ferrari F2012...
    AKROCKS

I am looking forward to the Spanish GP in Catalunya like everyone else here I think, the European GP is another thing. Most boring race of the season.

Hoping for a strong showing from both Ferrari's in Catalunya

no doubt there is an added factor of pressure on his shoulders.. i hope both Ferrari and Alonso can spring a huge surprise at Catalunya :)
    Always the best place to discuss facts and to outnumber RBR and Mclaren fans... Do join for constant updates of the brand that is Formula1 :)
    Formula1 Facebook Group
    Thank YOU

Cursed Relativity!! Time always goes slower when you're waiting for something! Honestly, i can't wait for saturday and the race!
    Forza ferrari !! I hope we've made a hell of an improvement!!

Just saw on formula1.com, weather forecast for Sunday - rain!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    weather forecast for Sunday - rain!
    YaAYy! Time for some Alonso 'magico' on sunday then!!

Quote Originally Posted by LightAmaterasu View Post
    YaAYy! Time for some Alonso 'magico' on sunday then!!
    i would much prefer if it was dry, just to see HOW competitive we are with our BIG updates in the dry and how much we've closed the gap to the front runners, but i think we'll have a chance to see how FAST we are in quali on saturday when it will be dry.

if it rains, then the race can become a lottery, but if WE WIN with Alonso, i'll take that jackpot ANYDAY....

Forza Ferrari
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

This is also one of Alonso's best tracks. He's put in some amazing Q3 laps here in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    i would much prefer if it was dry, just to see HOW competitive we are with our BIG updates in the dry and how much we've closed the gap to the front runners, but i think we'll have a chance to see how FAST we are in quali on saturday when it will be dry.

if it rains, then the race can become a lottery, but if WE WIN with Alonso, i'll take that jackpot ANYDAY....

Forza Ferrari
    Yes exactly.. it doesn't mean that if it rains.. we are the masters ! Schumi, Kimi and of course Alonso are the best competitors in that position.. although in Singapore our strategy and fastest of pit stops did the trick.
    Always the best place to discuss facts and to outnumber RBR and Mclaren fans... Do join for constant updates of the brand that is Formula1 :)
    Formula1 Facebook Group
    Thank YOU

Quote Originally Posted by rocks.ral View Post
    Yes exactly.. it doesn't mean that if it rains.. we are the masters ! Schumi, Kimi and of course Alonso are the best competitors in that position.. although in Singapore our strategy and fastest of pit stops did the trick.
    by Singapore i think you mean Malaysia....lol

Singapore GP is near teh end of the championship....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Forza Ferrari
    No problem. It's dry on Friday and Saturday. So we test what we have to test and we know where we are. Then on Sunday we can easily win helped by the rain.

It seams that only formula1.com have weather forecast that says rain on Sunday!? I've looked on couple of other sites and all of them are predicting sun! We'll see anyways on race day . Come rain or come shine I expect Ferrari to play significant role in tacking victory.

Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    6:46, a winning breakfast of course

Year 2000: R.I.P Formula 1

Forza Ferrari
    Yes, you're totally right. But i guess there's a part of me that's afraid that these BIG updates will turn out to be not so big after at all. And i just wouldn't be able to stand 'damage limitation' and being disappointed for another race :( But, as i said, you're right and we need to know exactly the potential of the car in terms of race pace and that can happen only if it is dry. Maybe i should be more optimistic.. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by LightAmaterasu View Post
    Yes, you're totally right. But i guess there's a part of me that's afraid that these BIG updates will turn out to be not so big after at all. And i just wouldn't be able to stand 'damage limitation' and being disappointed for another race :( But, as i said, you're right and we need to know exactly the potential of the car in terms of race pace and that can happen only if it is dry. Maybe i should be more optimistic.. *sigh*
    I'm afraid of that too, that this will be another damage limitation by Saturday afternoon.

But we have to know now. Due to the lack of testing, this is a race weekend to test everything

1-2 for the red cars no problems
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    1-2 for the red cars no problems
    i don't know about a 1-2...but a WIN for Alonso will be for sure

Big upgrage + home race + Alonso giving his 110% in both quali and race = WIN on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I'm afraid of that too, that this will be another damage limitation by Saturday afternoon.

But we have to know now. Due to the lack of testing, this is a race weekend to test everything
    Well, Let's just put our faith in the team and drivers and keep our fingers crossed then! :D The tension and anticipation makes the wait even more difficult!