Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: 2021 Car and Regulations

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bosnia
    Posts
    1,530

    2021 Car and Regulations

    Looks too Indy Car to me.


    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...GP1HI9KVy.html



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    5,068
    Step in the right direction.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    116

    Mad Step NOT in the right direction

    The new rules may make cars following and overtaking easier, I do not know but am open to being proven right or wrong once the season gets underway.
    As for the limited components, the limited track time, the limited you name it it's limited... can maybe, a VERY VERY small maybe make racing closer, but in my opinion, it goes right back to the same rules introduced in 2014 with the limited tokens... the end result was that a car that was set up BEFORE the season starts with a perfect set up, will be nay IMPOSSIBLE to catch up during the existing racing season.
    And that to me is DISASTROUS... personally a HUGE step backwards not forwards.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    9,625
    I'm glad we'll finally have a "modern take" on the ground effect concept.
    For a long time, they've tried to fix the dirty air issue with different approaches and none of them work for the simple fact that the any wings that generate downforce will always create turbulence.
    I hope ground effect will finally improve on this

    The one thing I really dislike is the wheel cover.
    Whats up with the painted picture of a wheel rim, lol
    I hope the actual cars will just have a black cover without any picture.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,988
    Other than ground effect I see nothing good about the 2021 rules.

    Less development means less ability for teams to catch up if they are not fast in March.

    Cost cutting is BS. This is the pinnacle of motorsport, if you can't afford it, don't do it.

    The environmentally friendly angle is idiotic at best. Just virtue signaling. Look, we are forcing them to use 20% biofuel... excuse us while we ship/fly/truck all this crap 10 times around the world. Don't look at the environmental destruction required to mine and process the Lithium for the batteries. What's going to be the next formula? PV panels on the car?
    Liberty-Guns-Beer-Trump... & Ferrari.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    11,777
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Other than ground effect I see nothing good about the 2021 rules.

    Less development means less ability for teams to catch up if they are not fast in March.

    Cost cutting is BS. This is the pinnacle of motorsport, if you can't afford it, don't do it.

    The environmentally friendly angle is idiotic at best. Just virtue signaling. Look, we are forcing them to use 20% biofuel... excuse us while we ship/fly/truck all this crap 10 times around the world. Don't look at the environmental destruction required to mine and process the Lithium for the batteries. What's going to be the next formula? PV panels on the car?
    This!!!!!!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Step in the right direction.
    https://motorsport.tv/formula-1/vide...xplained/29060

    Watch this video and then decide again if this is a step in the right direction. I think everything related to 2021; the cars, regulations, number of races etc is complete stupidity. F1 has been dying for a long time, 2021 is pulling the plug from the life support imo.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    937
    Formula e is the future Ferrari and mercedes will eventually drop f1 like a sack of potatoes. ALL OTHERS who decide to stay in f1 perish at your own expense.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    3,722
    Much as I have loved F1 for decades, I think 25 races is far too many for teams, drivers, their families and even for us fans, too much of a good thing diminishes its attraction! And my blood pressure wouldn't cope either.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    11,777
    With my 47 years under the belt, I am glad I have been witness of many great F1 seasons in past. I am, was watching motorsport, once know as Formula 1 since 1980. So many great memories. Unfortunately that motorsport I loved died in 2009. All this after is as someone said on life supports systems, which will be finally plugged off in 2021.

    RIP - Formula 1 - 1950 -2009

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    11,777
    Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Formula e is the future Ferrari and mercedes will eventually drop f1 like a sack of potatoes. ALL OTHERS who decide to stay in f1 perish at your own expense.
    Formula e is pure #$%@!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    5,068
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    https://motorsport.tv/formula-1/vide...xplained/29060

    Watch this video and then decide again if this is a step in the right direction. I think everything related to 2021; the cars, regulations, number of races etc is complete stupidity. F1 has been dying for a long time, 2021 is pulling the plug from the life support imo.
    Well I trust Ross Brawn more than some smart-ass on the internet. People always grimace every time when new rules get introduced, I remember all the "good ol days" reminiscences when DRS was adopted. To me, DRS has improved the racing quite a bit.
    2021 regulations, with the introduction of budget-cap and ground effect, is step in the right direction. I do believe it will improve the overall show, but I guess we have to wait for it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Well I trust Ross Brawn more than some smart-ass on the internet. People always grimace every time when new rules get introduced, I remember all the "good ol days" reminiscences when DRS was adopted. To me, DRS has improved the racing quite a bit.
    2021 regulations, with the introduction of budget-cap and ground effect, is step in the right direction. I do believe it will improve the overall show, but I guess we have to wait for it.
    When they introduced DRS it made passing artificial, just like when they had KERS. Even though the effect of DRS has been reduced it’s still dumb.

    Other than Ground Effect, nothing that is being proposed will help the racing be more exciting. They are all artificial methods of causing equality between teams. Nothing more, nothing less. The plague of social justice has come to F1 in full. What’s next? Meec is Forces to give half of their knowledge to Williams because Williams is dead last and Merc is WCC? These rules are the spirting regulation equivalent of Socialism. Let’s make everyone equal so no one stands out. Then no one cares, all the fans leave and the sport fails. It’s short sighted and dumb.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    29,003
    Short sighted would be crying about cost cutting when all teams agree to cut costs Big teams will still be big and it will not make everyone equal.
    Forza Ferrari

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    463
    I think the 2021 car they've been demonstrating looks hideous. Maybe they want to entice Indy car teams to join the championship.

    As for the details, I'm pleased to see ground effect in the regs. However, I'm not impressed by open sourcing of certain parts. Why bother innovating when blueprints can be obtained of what everyone else has? I don't support the budget cap either nor the plans to reduce it in successive years. It seems F1 is determined to have its cake and eat it. We'll end up with franchises with identical costs and little reason for teams to be ambitious or innovative on the technical side.

    There's also nothing to suggest that the championship won't ramp up to 25 races in a few years. There's already way too many races to have any real significance any more. The continued efforts to introduce qualifying races is also alarming. Combined with the scaling back of technical competition, it's just too much effort to follow with such little return. Why not go the full way and have a 9 month championship with weekly and midweek races? Utter rubbish. Life was better under Bernie.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    11,777
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    When they introduced DRS it made passing artificial, just like when they had KERS. Even though the effect of DRS has been reduced itís still dumb.

    Other than Ground Effect, nothing that is being proposed will help the racing be more exciting. They are all artificial methods of causing equality between teams. Nothing more, nothing less. The plague of social justice has come to F1 in full. Whatís next? Meec is Forces to give half of their knowledge to Williams because Williams is dead last and Merc is WCC? These rules are the spirting regulation equivalent of Socialism. Letís make everyone equal so no one stands out. Then no one cares, all the fans leave and the sport fails. Itís short sighted and dumb.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Manila, PH
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Formula e is pure #$%@!!!
    Why?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Other than Ground Effect, nothing that is being proposed will help the racing be more exciting. They are all artificial methods of causing equality between teams. Nothing more, nothing less. The plague of social justice has come to F1 in full. What’s next? Meec is Forces to give half of their knowledge to Williams because Williams is dead last and Merc is WCC? These rules are the spirting regulation equivalent of Socialism. Let’s make everyone equal so no one stands out. Then no one cares, all the fans leave and the sport fails. It’s short sighted and dumb.
    Agreed.
    The worst part is the silly reverse grid qualifying idea. I honestly will never watch a F1 race where they actually apply that crazy idea.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    29,003
    Reverse grid is not happening.
    Forza Ferrari

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    2,455
    As always, there are positives and negatives in this.
    Positives, the ground effect is back, also effort is made in the whole passing thing, and *please God* the removal of DRS which really, needs to go.
    Negatives, too much standardization for my taste, also the whole further reduction of testing, the whole CFD thing.
    Not sure, yet, the whole cost reduction thing. It may actually work in favor of the sport, it also may not. To be determined.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,337
    Removing giant bumps on the race track should be mandatory. That was a hard to believe happening @ Austin. Driver safety and ruining a drivers race over bumps? Isn't the F I A in charge of bump control ? Or is that part of cost reduction ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •