Thread: Closed cockpits now appear 'inevitable' for Formula 1 in future

Closed cockpits now appear 'inevitable' for Formula 1 in future

Closed cockpits now appear to be inevitable in Formula 1, with technical chiefs set to ramp up efforts to bring them in following Fernando Alonso's lucky escape in the first lap crash at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Romain Grosjean's Lotus flew over the front of Alonso's cockpit in the pile-up, and it was fortunate that the Ferrari driver did not suffer any impact on his helmet.

The good fortune served to highlight the biggest weakness in the modern safety design of F1 cars, and comes as the FIA and technical figures continue work on closed cockpit concepts.

McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe thinks the first corner crash will serve as a reminder about how important this work is and increase a push being made to change cockpit designs for as early as 2014.

"I think 2014 is intended, as we started the project a year ago," said Lowe, who has been involved in work on the cockpit project. "Personally I think something is inevitable because it is the one big [safety] exposure that we have got.

"You see it time and time again and think 'that was lucky'. One day it won't be lucky. At the same time it is an open cockpit formula so we have to protect that, but it should be technically possible one way or another."

Work on closed cockpits ramped up after the injuries that Felipe Massa suffered at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix when he was hit on the head by a car component, just a few days after Henry Surtees was killed in a Formula 2 race when he was struck by a wheel.

Lowe says that an initial focus on canopy protection has now been abandoned, with tests highlighting that a bar/cage type design is much better.

"We have made a test piece and it has been tested structurally with various impacts, like firing wheels at it, and that was successful.

"So we understand some of the parameters in terms of the angles that are needed and the strength of the pieces. The work that is currently in progress is assessing its visibility, and we've done some work on the simulator with our interpretation.

"Ideally a driver wants nothing in the way, but in the same way as you drive a road car or even the old VW camper van with the centre pillar, you just get used to it don't you? We found that as long as the pillars don't get too big it is something you can get used to.

"So we have some parameters about pillar size, and now we are looking at making something with that pillar size and to the right strength requirement."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali says that work on closed cockpits should not be rushed though, because there are numerous safety considerations needed.

"We were lucky because nothing happened to Fernando on the head," he said. "We are working with the federation to work on the right system of protection, because on what we are testing and working on, there are also some problems that you may have - like moving the protection in the event of a fire or worse. So we need to be very careful on all these devices."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102213

No please dont in-close the cockpits. F1 has come on so much in safety knowadays, all drivers know the dangers of it. Just an accident that is racing. If the drivers didnt feel safe or comfortable in the cars they wouldnt be F1 drivers.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

IIRC, they did test on both a jet fighter canopy and the caged canopy, both which did survive the test. Just IMO, but I think its worth modifying the idea of a canopy like an open top or something.

I don't think its right to compare a conventional car to an F1 car because in a F1 car, the drivers are already sitting so low they can't see as much as someone driving a normal car. The last thing they need is some bars around them. Just IMO anyway.

But as much as I will miss the open cockpit concept, I think something needs to be done too. Its not the first time a car flew over the dashboard of someone. Schumi saw it too some years back, Abu Dhabi or something. Massa and Maria accident may be a freak one too, but it happened anyway and so there's nothing to say that it won't happen again.

If it happens, future generations will look back and be shocked that there ever wasn't closed cockpits; in the same way looking back at F1 before safety measures were put in shocks us nowadays.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    If it happens, future generations will look back and be shocked that there ever wasn't closed cockpits; in the same way looking back at F1 before safety measures were put in shocks us nowadays.
    racing without seat belts in the "good old days" would be unheard of now.

I am not sure I would like a canopy style cockpit, but then I would not like to watch a driver losing his head on a Sunday afternoon either.
    Forza Ferrari

Is clear.

If the last sunday the lotus crash over alonso´s head, He would have died. Imagine for one moment this situation...

We have the technology, then, we must do it.

The fan should support and request this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I am not sure I would like a canopy style cockpit, but then I would not like to watch a driver losing his head on a Sunday afternoon either.
    It would be strange at first not to be able to see the driver clearly but we would get used to it. what are the downsides to a fighter jet style canopy from a safety point of view

Ferrariclosed.jpg
    Last edited by Red passion; 3rd September 2012 at 14:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Red passion View Post
    It would be strange at first not to be able to see the driver clearly but we would get used to it. what are the downsides to a fighter jet style canopy from a safety point of view
    One of the biggest issue that's probably preventing such canopy is how quickly can a driver escape during a fire, especially when the car is overturned.

Come to think of it, it might be extremely hot too when racing in hot countries like Malaysia. Driving a car here enclosed and without any air conditioner on a hot evening is suicidal, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    One of the biggest issue that's probably preventing such canopy is how quickly can a driver escape during a fire, especially when the car is overturned.

Come to think of it, it might be extremely hot too when racing in hot countries like Malaysia. Driving a car here enclosed and without any air conditioner on a hot evening is suicidal, lol.
    a wiper would be needed for the wet races and a window or something is needed for hot races.

the big issue is an overturned car on fire, i see, as nascar and rally cars have doors.

I was thinking Fernando was extremely lucky not have his hand/fingers crushed since the steering wheel comes up higher than the cockpit when they are on full lock.

I don't know if it would be possible to build a half canopy... Have a roll hoop come out horizontally from the air-box just above the driver's helmet to provide the structure of it, then the actual canopy material closing it in leaving the top open... I'm just not sure if that would be too tall for the drivers to get in and out of it especially if they were upside down...

Quote Originally Posted by Red passion View Post
    a wiper would be needed for the wet races and a window or something is needed for hot races.

the big issue is an overturned car on fire, i see, as nascar and rally cars have doors.
    Minor correction, NASCAR does not have doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    Minor correction, NASCAR does not have doors.
    Sorry my knowledge of nascar is very limited, What do they do in nascar if they have an overturned car on fire must the driver exit through the "window".
    Last edited by Red passion; 3rd September 2012 at 17:33.

Yeah they do, they have safety netting, just quick release catches. They have plastic window on the passenger side, but driver side the netting.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Very good point.

I would go with an invisible energetic barier... too sci-fi?

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Agreed. But it doesn't have to be a closed, canopy type device. They could just put a small roll cage on, much like the Super Modifieds here in the states have.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

What if the canopy malfunctions, trapping the driver or impaling him or something?

Or is that a stupid question?

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    What if the canopy malfunctions, trapping the driver or impaling him or something?

Or is that a stupid question?
    Would not protect the driver from a spring, like massa in hungary either

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    Agreed. But it doesn't have to be a closed, canopy type device. They could just put a small roll cage on, much like the Super Modifieds here in the states have.
    What if they extended the upper lip of the air intake or maybe attach a safety device on there? The drivers are low enough in the cars now so their limbs are protected.

what about something like a windshield design?

with the right curvature of course, and it wouldn't have to be too tall?

Let's say just high enough that if a projectile should come like in felipe's case it wouold deflect it, the side of the cockpits surviving cell is already tall, maybe could make it with that same clear material on the side too, with the top off, remember that also this protection around todays cockpit is easily removed and still can take and protect some violent impacts.

of course it is so resistent because it's made of carbon fiber, so the thing here would be to make it with a clear material, which i beleive that with the right curvature and the right place could work, it also could be opennings in it, i dont know if they would need a wiper in case of rain, and i think that because i'm comparing this with the way the helmet visors work, they don't have wipers.

I agree with the first post here, it can be done in a way that isn't going to make it completely enclosed, and still capable of protecting the drivers head.

It happens so many times, in almost every crash when they show the onboard view you always see large peices passing right in front of the drivers helmet, i think they are playing with fire.

Yes it needs time, so they do it the right way, I just wish they would have taken felipe's accident the right way and deal with the problem, they chose to but completly drop it, and i beleive it's because felipe was lucky to survive and come back to racing.

I don't understand how a sport that has so much engineering proccess, when it comes to that issue the safety of the drivers, they simply rely on "luck" alone. this isn't the way engineering works, their work is the complete opposite, tey work to not depend on luck as much as possible.

I just hope we don't have something like what happened to senna in order to finally do something, it doesn't have to be that drastic as to close cockpit, but something has to improve.

And i understand how we love F1 alot because it's open cockpit racing, and it brings a kind of danger, but let's just limit it a little more, just think what's more important, a little change in the cockpit of this current f1 design or the life of a beloved and important driver like fernando, let's not repeat errors from the past, as a senna fan, i really wish they don't wait until someone is unlucky, surtee was, maria was but i feel that because they were not big names on the sport right now, nothing was done, i don't want to lose another great driver, with that same reason, that the drivers know the risk and if they choose to take it, if they choose to drive F1 they are accepting the dangers and must conform. just because they know the dangers and still does it, doesn't mean they don't wish and want a little more protection, and that doesn't make them any less courageous in my view.

T
    he art isn't in never falling but in always getting up.

I asked Peter Windsor what he thought about F1 cars having inclosed cokpits, this is his tweet back to me...
    Peter Windsor ‏@PeterDWindsor
    @robertallum1 I don't think they'd be #f1 cars. A bit like Indycars that look like dodgem cars

F1 cars have evolved a lot since the start of the first F1 championship. Nobody can define what is an F1 car.

It would be utterly selfish for anyone who refuses safety changes just for the sake of being a purist. There have been many, many changes introduced in F1 to improve safety, there's no reason why we should stop now. What are we waiting for? Another fatality before we do something?

reminds of a comment nelson piquet made once about F1, that everyone that goes there wants to "see the circus catch on fire". i wonder if he is not completly right on the money there. they want "events" to happen during a race, it can be fire, crashes, they may not want to see someone die, but specially the media, they want to report something extraordinary.

really hope they do something, doesn't have to be too radical, but it's time to give their heads a little more protection, just the helmet won't be enough when another car simply flies towards your head.

What would they do if in a turn a car lost control, took off, and landed on the grandstand? they would built a very strong fence, or a wall to protect the fans watching... well but the fans goes knowing that it can be dangerous for them too right? specially on the start/finish straight, still we make sure the fans are protected, so we should do the same for the drivers too.

ps. i really don't think they will do anything again, cause once again another driver had "luck", so they put the talk back on ice, cause you know we love the sport as it is and so on, until the unlucky day comes.
    Last edited by Poltergeistes; 4th September 2012 at 22:55.

T

A point was raised about how the massive safety we have these days may have contributed towards drivers having less respect for each other when it comes to the racing. You have to wonder if having a closed cockpit could just make this worse and make drivers feel even more immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    A point was raised about how the massive safety we have these days may have contributed towards drivers having less respect for each other when it comes to the racing. You have to wonder if having a closed cockpit could just make this worse and make drivers feel even more immortal.

I don't know about that, to me it looks more like the other way around, they were more reckless back in the day, it was almost as if again death was the rule and surviving F1 was the exception, so it seemed like they pushed in ways that to us seems crazy, when you look at the cars and all the lack of safety, it's almost like with gladiators. nowdays it looks like the drivers have a clearer path (lets call it) where they have some race strategy, the teams needs to make things last, it became so expensive too.

I don't know but in my opnion that hasn't changed. i don't think that safer cars made them less respectful to each other in that aspect. but that's just my ignorant opnion!! lol

T