Thread: Vettel backs Alonso, Hamilton for greatness

Vettel backs Alonso, Hamilton for greatness

Sebastian Vettel has backed Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton as two drivers on the F1 grid who will go on to become all-time greats.

Speaking to the BBC during the Goodwood Festival of Speed, the double world champion was quizzed about which of his current rivals could go on to be classed amongst the best drivers to have competed in the sport with Alonso and Hamilton being the two to get mention from the Red Bull ace.

"The ones that stand out are probably Fernando, he's one of the most complete drivers,” he said. “Lewis is very, very quick. There are plenty of others. Michael [Schumacher] is still in the game. I don't think he has lost it.

"At the moment we have a lot of drivers performing at a similar level - it is very competitive. It is a long list at the moment. We have had a lot of different winners this season and all of those drivers are very competitive and very fast."

Vettel added that the number of titles won by a driver shouldn't be the only thing used to define greatness even if success plays a 'big part' in deciding how a driver should be judged.

"If you look at great names from the past, drivers like Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Jackie Stewart... they all won a lot of titles,” he said. "But there are other names that stay in your head and stay around because they had something extra. They were special.

"All F1 drivers are very quick, but those guys had something extra, something maybe the people loved, he was very entertaining, it was very special to watch him driving the car.

"There are plenty of other characters who maybe didn't win the title but are still people's heroes and rightly so."
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

How nice of him to say so. I'm sure Alonso really needed validation by vettel.

Talking about some serious xxx- licking....

maybe vettel wants to a) become Fernando's teammate
    b) wants hamilton to become his teammate?
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    maybe vettel wants to a) become Fernando's teammate
    b) wants hamilton to become his teammate?
    Or hamilton to join nando...

Or he is being honest in stating the obvious?
    Also, saying good things about other drivers makes you more likeable and biased people (fans and press alike) are more willing to admit your virtues. But I insist, he didn't say anything most people here haven't said (well, except for a few Schumy fanboys that can't forget about 2006).

Yeah, its pretty obvious Alonso, Vettel and Lewis are the top 3 drivers currently in a class of their own.

But the truth is, while the general opinion is that Alonso is the most complete driver currently on the grid, every F1 driver, especially those at the top like Vettel and Lewis, needs to believe that they are the best.

Probably both Vettel and Lewis do believe that Alonso is the next best driver, but they have to believe that they themself are the best.

Seriously guys, what does a rival driver need to do to get some basic respect on this forum? Are we really that biased that we cannot sit back for once and appreciate something nice being said? Supporting your own driver is one thing, degrading another for a reason like this is kinda ridiculous IMO
    My love for the Red cars is Final. My integrity non-negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by thedoctor03 View Post
    Seriously guys, what does a rival driver need to do to get some basic respect on this forum? Are we really that biased that we cannot sit back for once and appreciate something nice being said? Supporting your own driver is one thing, degrading another for a reason like this is kinda ridiculous IMO
    I couldn't agree more.
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times

Agreed. I'd hate to see the reaction if he had said something bad.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Everyone has the right to react as he feels (including you).
    It's true that some people are going to agree and some others to disagree.
    IMO that's the reason of the Forums existance. If we all had the same opinion on something then no reason to post or chat...
    By the way I agree with your above comments...