Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US F1 tv coverage sold to NBC for 2013. F1 on Speed RIP

US F1 tv coverage sold to NBC for 2013. F1 on Speed RIP

I have been watching F1 on Speed for all 17 years its been on. Completely bummed to hear this is the final season. I see no chance of NBC giving us the type of coverage Speed has delivered (FP2, Qualifying, Race live).

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...rtner-in-2013/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...d-formula-one/

oh god.. i guess no more live coverages of the race anymore.. that is disappointing. I guess it bodes well to show the race when a majority of people are awake but the die hard sports fans that wake up at 6-7am loose out
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post
    I have been watching F1 on Speed for all 17 years its been on. Completely bummed to hear this is the final season. I see no chance of NBC giving us the type of coverage Speed has delivered (FP2, Qualifying, Race live).

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...rtner-in-2013/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...d-formula-one/
    And how does Mr F1 Bernie get his cut from this deal ? Having accepted that Sky have bought the rites to all televised F1 races ?
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

If they got outbid, I guess that means NBC offered more money to the rights holder.

Personally I don't think money should have been the only factor, they should see who could do the best job in broadcasting it because it is in the interest of F1 to gain more fans rather than lose fans. But I guess that's not how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    And how does Mr F1 Bernie get his cut from this deal ? Having accepted that Sky have bought the rites to all televised F1 races ?
    This is for the broadcast rights in US.

I believe Sky only broadcast it in the UK.

Sky bought the UK TV rights. The US and other markets are sold separately. Trust me, Bernie is getting his cut on this deal with NBC.

Sorry I assumed Sky was world wide

I know "assume" makes an ASS of U and ME

I hate watching a race after the fact.
    Thank goodness for high speed internet and live feeds from other countries.

that blows...

Well NBC showed all 22 stages of the Tour de France live on their NBC Sport Network station. I don't see why they wouldn't show F1 live on NBC Sports Network. I just hope they hire David Hobbs and Steve Matchett to do commentary. Don't really care for Bob Varsha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    If they got outbid, I guess that means NBC offered more money to the rights holder.

It's much more than that really. Fox is converting the SPEED channel into a stick and ball network, trying to compete with ESPN. No more SPEED channel.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakefade View Post
    Well NBC showed all 22 stages of the Tour de France live on their NBC Sport Network station. I don't see why they wouldn't show F1 live on NBC Sports Network. I just hope they hire David Hobbs and Steve Matchett to do commentary. Don't really care for Bob Varsha.
    Yes, most excellent coverage of the Tour de France!

Varsha says he is contracted to Fox, so he'll probably stay somehow, but Matchett and Hobbs aren't. No telling where they will land.

It's a shame really. For a long time I thought Varsha, Matchett and Hobbs were the best crew in all of sports, not just racing, but they really have seemed to slip the last couple of years anyway. Probably time for a change. I'll miss Hobbs though. Sometimes I want to throw a shoe at him, but he makes up for it with his humor. He really kills me sometimes. I'll miss Matchett's passion too.

I appreciate the USA does not have many "experts" to front a full F1 program, it hasnt realy been involved in the sport in any depth yet.

But at least you are spared the so called "pundits" of the sky broadcast, and the Hamilton love in of BBC or the monderings of EJit.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    It's much more than that really. Fox is converting the SPEED channel into a stick and ball network, trying to compete with ESPN. No more SPEED channel.
    Baseball is the most boring sport in the world. Speed...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

But at least you are spared the so called "pundits" of the sky broadcast, and the Hamilton love in of BBC or the monderings of EJit.
    At least you have been spared the Hamilton love from the SPEED crew. Peter Windsor was unbearable when he was there.

Baseball is the most boring sport in the world. Speed...
    I'm sure they'll have football (both definitions) and basketball too.

I know, that doesn't help.

What amazes me about this thread is that everyone seems to be worrying about watching the races. Don't get me wrong. I want to watch the races and I want to watch them live but we are missing the point. Next year we will have TWO U.S. Grands Prix and NO American drivers. Something is wrong in that we can't even get an American into a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    What amazes me about this thread is that everyone seems to be worrying about watching the races. Don't get me wrong. I want to watch the races and I want to watch them live but we are missing the point. Next year we will have TWO U.S. Grands Prix and NO American drivers. Something is wrong in that we can't even get an American into a car.
    I would hope with F1 races hosted there and if the media do their bit to help increase the appeal and inform everyone of its history it may be possible that we could see an Indy driver or two looking for seats in F1.

I imagine it will take time but fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I honestly couldn't care less about having an American driver. Do American drivers even care about competing in F1? It seems like the overwhelming majority of them like going in circles.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I honestly couldn't care less about having an American driver. Do American drivers even care about competing in F1? It seems like the overwhelming majority of them like going in circles.
    I don't care about an American driver either. I don't need one or an American team for that matter to love F1. The only reason I would like to see either is to raise F1 popularity here, which overall would be good for the sport.

But there are drivers here who want to compete in F1, it's just very hard to find the funding needed to do so.

Case in point is ex-NASCAR driver Ricky Rudd, a long time and well known NASCAR racer, and one of the better ones who is now retired.

He grew up wanting nothing but to be an F1 driver, drove karts all his young life and various road racing cars. But he found the door to F1 closed and went with the path of least resistance, which was NASCAR. That's the story for many drivers, and many of the ones who end up in NASCAR.

Jeff Gordon is another example. He wanted to go the Indy car route and had a deal to drive in CART and then have a chance at F1, but the team would not guarantee him a seat even in CART, so he too went to NASCAR. F1 and CART's loss was NASCAR's gain, and one of the reason's NASCAR has become racing king here. It's much easier to find the money to run there, and also to even get a chance to begin with.

WHAAAAATTTTT!???!!?? Is this true? I cant believe that! Speed has Always shown F1.
    NBC started a new sports channel, but since Speed has most racing covered, NBC mustve outbid them.
    Holy smokes, I happen to like Varsha, n Hobbs, N Matchet n Will. They r a great team.
    It better be good or I will def be looking for F1 on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    I don't care about an American driver either. I don't need one or an American team for that matter to love F1. The only reason I would like to see either is to raise F1 popularity here, which overall would be good for the sport.

But there are drivers here who want to compete in F1, it's just very hard to find the funding needed to do so.

Case in point is ex-NASCAR driver Ricky Rudd, a long time and well known NASCAR racer, and one of the better ones who is now retired.

He grew up wanting nothing but to be an F1 driver, drove karts all his young life and various road racing cars. But he found the door to F1 closed and went with the path of least resistance, which was NASCAR. That's the story for many drivers, and many of the ones who end up in NASCAR.

Jeff Gordon is another example. He wanted to go the Indy car route and had a deal to drive in CART and then have a chance at F1, but the team would not guarantee him a seat even in CART, so he too went to NASCAR. F1 and CART's loss was NASCAR's gain, and one of the reason's NASCAR has become racing king here. It's much easier to find the money to run there, and also to even get a chance to begin with.
    Actually, there was a show on Speed a few years ago where Jeff went to England, Williams and he and Montoya traded cars. Williams mentioned that Gordon was talented anough to merit a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Actually, there was a show on Speed a few years ago where Jeff went to England, Williams and he and Montoya traded cars. Williams mentioned that Gordon was talented anough to merit a test drive.
    Um, I think that was one of those driver swap things, where Gordon drove the Williams and Montoya Gordon's car, kind of like what Smoke and Hamilton did at Watkins Glen. And I'm pretty sure it was on the Indy road course, at least that's how I remember it. And Gordon was pretty quick from what I remember, pretty close to times set by the F1 drivers there. Gordon does have a lot of open wheel experience, but it's all on ovals.

Not sure if it was at Indy but you are correct..I remember at that time that Williams DID offer Gordon a test drive.

Wow, I still cant believe it..nomo Speed channel. Watching has become a normal thing to do, especially
    during F1 season. Sure, their programing of new so called car shows sometimes stinks..but I watch all sports car racing,
    F1, even the BJ auctions. No one else is going to show all of that. No..its going to have to be the intranet.

Another thing I cant figure, theres going to be 2 US races next year...so with all of this new F1 activity in the US market, why would Fox decide to bow out?
    I mean they are already the Nascar channel, unless they r simply going to continue w/out F1.

Well this is encouraging. At least we know we will still get practice and qualifying coverage:

"NBC will air four races – the Canadian Grand Prix in June, and the final three races of the season in November – while the remaining 16 races will air on NBC Sports Network. All practice and qualifying sessions will also be on the cable station.

Miller said the intent is to broadcast everything live, but the network is working through a small number of scheduling conflicts. All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Group's live-stream platform."

Yes it is..we'll see. Mabey it will be good...and mabey they wont break away for yet another non important
    idiotic moronic commercial 3 laps from the end of a closely fought race.

Will Speed continue to be Speed?

From reading the press release I think the change to NBC Sports will be good for us, though I am upset to See David, Bob, Steve, and Will go. They were always entertaining and knowledgeable. I am sure they will get someone decent to broadcast the races.

I mean Speed only shows 1 or 2 practices, Quali and sometimes the race on tape delay. NBC says they will show all sessions live. It will be nice to be able to live stream the race too in the instance that I can't get to a TV. It is also upsetting that since I was out of town and do not have DVR Korea was the first race this season I didn't get to watch at all. Speed had the replay today, Monday at noon. Well I am at work like most of America and cannont watch it. Maybe NBC will put the rebroadcast on at a friendlier time.

Speed has also had a few technical difficulties this year, like when they lost the broadcast at Suzuka and took 10 minutes to get it back on TV. Maybe NBC with it's bigger pockets will be able to broadcast with less interruptions and problems.

Let's all count our blessings and be happy that we don't have to order races on Pay Per View or subscribe to a certain provider like I have had Europe has to with SKY, BBC and that mess.
    Forza Ferrari!!

If Speed ceases to exist though, where will I be able to watch MotoGP, Super Bikes and V8 supercars? Perhaps we won't be able to watch any of that in the US which would be a huge loss.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Speed to NBC

While Speed has done a great job I think NBC Sports may be positioned to provide us coverage equal or better than that of Speed. If the actual races are shown on the NBC Sports Network they should be live or delayed just a few hours. There are plenty of really good and knowledgeable announcers if NBC will just hire them. I DVR the races now so seeing them on tape delay will not be that bad.

NBC

NBC broadcasting F1? Stone the crows!