Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perez expects title in first year at McLaren

Perez expects title in first year at McLaren

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...tml?CMP=chrome
    Sergio Perez is adamant he can win the world championship next season when he joins McLaren from Sauber.

Perez will replace Lewis Hamilton at McLaren after impressing the team with a series of strong performances over the last two years at Sauber. When he joins he will be 23 years old - the age at which Hamilton won his first title with McLaren - and Perez is confident he will be ready to join the team and immediately win races and championships.

"I think expectations in terms of result, my targets is to win titles with them and to win the championship already next year," he said. "That takes a lot of work during the season so it's very important to start very well my preparations with them and try to reach their targets.

"This year they have had many reliability issues and if they solved that they would have been fighting for the title. So I think it's realistic what I'm saying and the team is capable of putting together a very strong car. The target has to be always high - it's the way we have to think and McLaren wants to win every race."

Perez said he is ready for the added pressure that comes with being a driver at a top team and is prepared for the criticism as well as the adulation that goes with it.

"When you are in the best team you are always on the radar," he said. "When you are doing well you are the hero and when you are doing bad you are the worst one. It's kind of getting used to that, but I'm used to it already at Sauber because I remember when I did a podium I was a superstar and when I didn't do well I was a very bad driver who is always doing mistakes. The most important thing is to focus on the winter and try to make a very good connection with the team early in January and then be able to fight from the first race onwards."

He also dismissed suggestions that his failure to score a point at Sauber since signing for McLaren had anything to do with the added pressure.

"Here in Formula One they like to make stories about everything so they linked it to my [McLaren] contract," he said. "But it has nothing to do with it because I'm a professional driver, a very loyal person and I'm very grateful to the team [Sauber]."
    Coming from someone who scored 1 point in the last 7 races. He became really punchy after signing the Mclaren contract. Wish him well though.

Year 2000: R.I.P Formula 1

Strange thing about Perez is that he had some good results before the announcement, but since the announcement, he has been making more mistakes.

Buttons rear gunner. Dream on perez.

With a backer like Carlos Slim, $$$, Perez can probably have his way at Mac, Button will be hearing a lot of " Let him pass ", not to say that Button will probably be behind Perez most of the time anyway.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by brembo man View Post
    With a backer like Carlos Slim, $$$, Perez can probably have his way at Mac, Button will be hearing a lot of " Let him pass ", not to say that Button will probably be behind Perez most of the time anyway.
    Since we are talking about McLaren, Button will probably be hearing:" Jenson switch to fuel-saving mode yellow please, fuel-saving mode yellow".
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

I don't expect that will happen. I laughed so much after he had signed at Mclaren and began to drive so bad haha. Let's hope he can continue that at Mclaren.

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo View Post
    Since we are talking about McLaren, Button will probably be hearing:" Jenson switch to fuel-saving mode yellow please, fuel-saving mode yellow".
    That's' right! I forgot that" Let him pass" was reserved for Rubens.
    [SIGPIC]

But we all loved Perez after Malaysia, what a change of opinion!

Good luck to him. He's not going to sit and say he's going to be content with anything less than wins/titles, is he?
    Forza Jules

Said it from the beginning, Hulkenberg was the young driver of the year that deserved a top ride. Perez is a bit overrated and should be given the label that Pastor and Romain got this year.
    Forza Ferrari!!

I think Perez has been enjoying some fire water too much

He has to say that, really. There's no reason why he can't. But if the McLaren is quick enough for him to win, it's unlikely he won't be beaten by Jenson!

I don't see it, but I will enjoy if he can beat mister not grip.

Perez can be a top driver someday, the only danger is if he puts too much pressure on himself now.

He's like 22, going 23 if I'm not mistaken. He don't need to be a world champion next year. He still have time, and he should focus on slowly but surely improving himself to ensure that he stays in a top team long enough to prove himself.

I would bet that Perez can win in a McLaren next year, but when it comes down to the WDC fight, he would not be ready yet. So he has to be careful not to focus too much on whats right in front of him that he sacrifice the long term opportunity.

Perez expects title in first year at McLaren

He needs to focus race by race to minimize the pressure. If he start racing for the WDC from the beginning he will fail.

X/A
    for Formula1 hi-res pics. & videos visit my blog
    http://formula1.softarchive.net/

Perez is seriously fast. Unlike Kovalainen who has no race pace, Perez has qualified and raced in positions the car had no right to be in. We wouldn't have kept him in the academy and tried to sign him for 2014 unless he had the talent of a potential world champion. I think he'll be the quicker McLaren driver, but also the one who makes more mistakes and ends the season with less points - a bit like Hamilton vs Button in 2011.

He'll get in our way a few times, but his inconsistency will prevent him being a championship threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post

Good luck to him. He's not going to sit and say he's going to be content with anything less than wins/titles, is he?
    Plus it's his big break really, to show what he can do. There is no point racing at this level if you don't aim for the top prize! I don't blame him for posturing, it's all part of him building his confidence up ahead of next season.

Wow.... The boy has vision.
    Avanti Fer, avanti!

I just think Mclaren hasn't got a good line-up for next year what iam very happy of . Perez is to unexperienced and will make a lot of errors and on the other side Jenson. I just don't know what to think about him. Some races he is topclass but on too many races I only see him on the resultslist at the end of a GP and not during race. WE have the best driver line-up with Felipe and Fernando iam sure of that!

Since Perez got signed with McLaren he has fallen flat on his face. I suspect Button will embarrass him.

i can bet my life for this...
    Perez can no way become a world champion the next ...
    whatever is the pace of mclaren...he does not have it still....
    and i dont see anything exceptional performance from him in 2012 ...just 6 points ahead of Kobayashi..still so much hype???
    and poor kamui not able to find a seat...ridiculous,.,,
    thanks god...we did not replace Perez for Massa...great job FERRARI in retaining Massa!!

Quote Originally Posted by varun View Post
    i can bet my life for this...
    Perez can no way become a world champion the next ...
    whatever is the pace of mclaren...he does not have it still....
    and i dont see anything exceptional performance from him in 2012 ...just 6 points ahead of Kobayashi..still so much hype???
    and poor kamui not able to find a seat...ridiculous,.,,
    thanks god...we did not replace Perez for Massa...great job FERRARI in retaining Massa!!

Koba still has a good chance with Lotus.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

Yes Varun. You are so right! Felipe is a fantastic driver and person while at the other side Perez only did get to the podium this year because of strategies and not because of his so called ''fantastic'' abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    Yes Varun. You are so right! Felipe is a fantastic driver and person while at the other side Perez only did get to the podium this year because of strategies and not because of his so called ''fantastic'' abilities.
    Agree, and because the Sauber is a true "tirewhisperer" that allowed Checo to do his one-stop wonders.
    Domenicali was right about one thing, he's still not consistent, but he's still young, and i wish him all the best in McLaren, give Jenson a run for his money Checo!

I don't know about Perez actually. I have a feeling he might not be as good as some say...

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    I don't know about Perez actually. I have a feeling he might not be as good as some say...

A lot depends on the mac too..thery ended the season
    very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    A lot depends on the mac too..thery ended the season
    very strong.
    That's the point ...managing that fast car from mclaren and having the cool to get those Q3 laps..i would even be surprised if perez would even get 1 pole next season! !! (good for us though!!)
    WE really need to capitalize next year on SATURDAYS...as we would have to fight 2cows, and button...NO HAMSTER..as he is the fastest in 1 lap run...but i am assuming that Mercedes wont get so strong in 3 months that they fight for pole!!

Button: Perez is not a worry.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Hihi that's a good one Alonsomaniac!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    i didn't, still don't
    not gonna change my profile picture