Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 WEC, IMSA&ELMS News

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

COMPETITORS FROM 24 HOURS OF LE MANS 12 HOURS OF SEBRING
    Once again, many former winners and competitors of the Le Mans 24 Hours will be March 16 in Florida for the 12 Hours of Sebring. The traditional opening round of the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) will host the last time the prototypes of the LM P1 category queen.

On this occasion, Audi has conclude his story with an eleventh Sebring victory. This could also be the first prototype of a hybrid brand committed to the rings R18 two copies of the e-tron quattro, which earned its eleventh victory Audi Le Mans in 2012. 24 Hours fourth year, Florida Rebellion Racing brings its full complement of two Lola-Toyota, Jani-assigned to Prost-Heidfeld and Beche-Cheng-Belicchi. Winner of the LM P2 class at Le Mans in 2011, the British team Greaves Motorsport Zytek-Nissan align one led by Tom Kimber-Smith, Christian Zugel and Eric Lux. Side GT, Aston Martin Racing (including a Vantage entrusted to Stefan Mücke, Darren Turner and Bruno Senna) to measure both Corvette factory before these two teams find themselves in the Sarthe 22 and 23 June

Eight former winners of the 24 Hours of Le Mans will start at the 12 Hours of Sebring 2013. The current or former Audi drivers carve the lion's share: Marcel Fässler and Benoît Tréluyer, winners in 2011 and 2012 (Florida joined by British Oliver Jarvis), Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish will team with Brazilian Lucas di Grassi recordman the distance to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Romain Dumas will drive the Honda HPD ARX-03a Muscle Milk Pickett Racing champion of the ALMS. Le Mans winner there just ten years Bentley, Briton Guy Smith remains faithful to the coupe Lola-Mazda Dyson Racing. In 2009, he joined David Brabham driving a Peugeot 908 HDi FAP his brother Geoff in the pantheon of 24 hours. It will be the 12 Hours of Sebring in LM P2 class at the wheel of one of the two Honda HPD ARX-03b of the Extreme Speed ​​Motorsports team, who decided to go into prototypes for the 2013 ALMS season, after running a Ferrari 458 Italia GT. Committed LM PC, Stefan Johansson was in 1997's teammate Tom Kristensen in his first victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Kristensen and Johansson, as Allan McNish and Romain Dumas are the only ones to have entered Le Mans and Sebring to their name. The first two combine success in the twenty two great classic endurance while Romain Dumas has emerged once Sebring (2008) and Le Mans (2010). Stefan Johansson has two victories at Sebring (1984 and 1997) and Le Mans.

12 Hours of Sebring in 2013 will also announce the name of the series in 2014 that will bring together the American Le Mans Series and the Grand Am Prototype LM P1 will be excluded. For all these reasons, this 2013 edition is eagerly awaited. 90th anniversary edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans will take place on 22 and 23 June Click HERE for ticket information. Entrylist to discover HERE.

DeltaWing unveils new livery, confirms plans to run on Bridgestones
    By Gary Watkins Monday, March 4th 2013, 17:31 GMT

The latest version of the experimental DeltaWing racer will run on Bridgestone tyres, it has been confirmed less than two days before the car is due to test for the first time.

The DeltaWing's switch from Michelin to Bridgestone tyres has been an open secret for the past two weeks, but the move was finally made public today (Monday) at the same time as the car's new livery was revealed.

Two days of testing are scheduled at Road Atlanta on Wednesday and Thursday before the car is shipped to Sebring, scene of the American Le Mans Series opener on March 16.

The car is due to test at Road Atlanta in the hands of Andy Meyrick, who will race the car at Sebring with Olivier Pla, and Johnny O'Connell, who worked with Price at Panoz in 2000 and tested the DeltaWing last October.

Pla is unavailable because he is taking part in a tyre test at Magny-Cours with his full-season employer OAK Racing.

The radical DeltaWing, which filled the 56th entry reserved for a car showcasing green technology at last year's Le Mans 24 Hours, has swapped tyre and engine suppliers after Michelin and Nissan chose not to continue to back the programme.

The two-litre turbo engine has been produced by team boss Don Panoz's Elan Motorsport Technologies around the architecture of the IMSA Lights class Mazda powerplant. The unit uses the head from the donor engine, but the block is all new.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105846

Disappointed Nissan have pulled out of The DeltaWing project, but no doubt Mazda can build an engine (787B)

Will still follow it, looking forward to seeing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Disappointed Nissan have pulled out of The DeltaWing project, but no doubt Mazda can build an engine (787B)

Will still follow it, looking forward to seeing it...
    Shame they have. I did read somewhere why. But cannt remember Dont like it in that chrome scheme. Thought it looked more menacing in matt black.

Alpine brand to return to Le Mans in 2013 with Signatech
    By Gary Watkins Wednesday, March 6th 2013, 15:49 GMT

The historic Alpine name will return to the Le Mans 24 Hours this season, 35 years after its overall victory in the race with Renault.

A link-up between the Renault brand, in which Caterham has had a 50 per cent stake since late last year, and the French Signatech LMP2 team will be announced at Le Mans on Friday.

The deal is likely to include Alpine branding replacing the badges of Renault sister marque Nissan on the V8 engine in team's ORECA 03 chassis.

Caterham boss Tony Fernandes raised the prospect of Alpine returning to Le Mans when his deal to take a share in the Dieppe-based company was announced last November.

He suggested that the new sportscar to be developed by Alpine could have a future racing against the likes of Ferrari, Porsche and Chevrolet in the GTE class, but he also hinted that there could be other racing plans for the brand.

"There are lot of plans for other motorsport projects and things we can do together," he said. "We are working on plans that are good business and that showcase our companies."

Signatech boss Philippe Sinault, whose organisation designs and builds the new Formula Renault 1.6 chassis, has expressed his aspirations to land a manufacturer deal since entering the sportscar arena in 2009.

Signatech, which has one entry for Le Mans and will also contest the European Le Mans Series, received backing in 2011-12 from Nissan, which placed winners of its PlayStation GT Academy with the team.

Alpine has a long history of involvement in motorsport, encompassing sportscar racing, rallying and even Formula 1.

It operated as the French manufacturer's out-of-house competitions department and developed the line of cars that led to the Alpine-Renault A442B Group 6 prototype that won Le Mans with Didier Pironi and Jean-Pierre Jassaud in 1978.

It built a test mule in 1976 for Renault's forthcoming F1 entry and, most recently, assembled the 2010-generation Formula Renault 2.0 one-make single-seaters.

DID YOU KNOW...

...the Alpine name made a short-lived return to Le Mans in 1994. The tiny French Legeay team entered a lightly-modified Alpine-Renault A610 and came away with an impressive 13th place.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105871

Audi braced for 'emotional' Sebring 12 Hours
    By Glenn Freeman Friday, March 8th 2013, 12:30 GMT

Audi believes this year's Sebring 12 Hours will be an emotional occasion as the firm prepares to enter the race for the final time with LMP1 machinery.

The German manufacturer has scored 10 wins in the American event, which it first entered in 1999.

LMP1 cars will not be eligible at Sebring after this season, as the race will form part of the unified sportscar series (when the American Le Mans Series merges with Grand-Am) from 2014.

"Without a shadow of a doubt it'll be an emotional race weekend for us," said head of Audi motorsport Wolfgang Ullrich.

"Sebring and its fantastic fans enjoy a very special status in both our motorsport and LMP history.

"It was always a fixed date in our motorsport calendar since the beginning of our sportscar programme in 1999.

"The race will once again be the perfect dress rehearsal for the forthcoming WEC season and the 24-hour race at Le Mans."

Team Joest technical director Ralf Juttner added: "We travel to Sebring a little downhearted. It's a real shame that LMP1 sportscars will not be allowed to start anymore in this legendary race."

Audi will take two cars to Sebring, including one 2013-specification R18 (pictured above) for Lucas di Grassi, Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish.

WEC champions and Le Mans winners Marcel Fassler and Benoit Treluyer will drive a 2012-spec car, with Oliver Jarvis completing the line-up.

McNish, who has four Sebring wins to his name, said he was pleased that Audi decided to keep the race on its 2013 schedule even though it is not part of the world championship.

"It was really great news when I heard that Audi would race at Sebring in 2013," he said. "This race is an important part of our sportscar history.

"That there is also a hint of goodbye hanging over the event gives the whole thing a special touch.

"Just like the entire team, I will do my utmost to bid Sebring farewell with a win. That would make me very proud."

AUDI AT SEBRING IN NUMBERS:

10 victories
    3 deficit in laps to winning BMW on debut of R8R in 1999
    32 participations
    1 retirements
    7 one-two finishes
    1 times Audi has missed Sebring since 1999 (2010)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105900

Cheers FIA, as we had the best fuel consumption last year you penalising us for it. Should be upto the other teams to step up and bring it to us. Aston been handed a nice golden ticket now.
    Last edited by Rob; 8th March 2013 at 18:30.

ESM Patrón Reveals P2 Livery

Set to debut next week at Sebring
    STUART, Fla. – Black, lime green, a bottle of Tequila Patrón and swirling Patrón Bees.

Extreme Speed Motorsports (ESM) driver/owner Scott Sharp commissioned ESBG Design to create liveries for the Tequila Patrón-sponsored HPD ARX-03b race cars to run in the 2013 American Le Mans Series (ALMS) presented by Tequila Patrón season.

A longtime partner of ESM, ESBG Design willingly accepted the challenge to create a dynamic livery for the Florida-based race team. Both the ESM Honda Performance Development ARX-03b P2 cars are black and feature the Tequila Patrón bottle on the nose. Emerging from the Tequila Patrón are several Patrón Bees swirling about the cars with a trail of lime green. The lime green paint on the car is reflective, so both racing machines will pop under the lights at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida next week.

In mid-February, ESM announced it will campaign two purpose-built prototypes beginning at Sebring.

Last week, ESM announced the new driver lineups for the 2013 season included Scott Sharp and Guy Cosmo as co-drivers of the No. 01 machine, and Ed Brown and Johannes van Overbeek in the No. 02 machine. David Brabham and Anthony Lazzaro were added to ESM’s driver roster for the Sebring race.

The 2013 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón begins with the 61st Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida on March 11-16. Qualifying for P2 cars takes place at 2:20 p.m. ET on Friday, March 15. Green flag for the 12 Hours of Sebring is 10:45 a.m. ET on Saturday, March 16. SPEED's live coverage begins at 10:30 a.m. ET.

Scott Sharp
    “Our Tequila Patrón livery has excited all of us the last few years... but I can’t put into words the new ARX-03b P2 car!

“Shocking, electrifying, stunning... are just a few words that come to mind.

“I want to thank the guys at ESBG Design for their efforts. Each year we challenge them to create a livery that represents both ESM and Patrón. They’ve out-done themselves this year in showcasing the Patrón brand in new and bold ways.”

EXTREME SPEED MOTORSPORTS

Well all kicks off next weekend. And what a weekend of motorsport. F1 starts in Melbourne, not alot of sleep Thursday night, then ealry start Sat morning and late night Saturday night to watch Sebring 12hrs, and up early Sunday.

RebellionRacing Rebellion Racing 51 mins
    Ready to shakedown the @RebellionRacing cars here @sebringraceway @almsnotes @ALMSChicks #Sebring12

AUDI HYBRID LE MANS TO SEBRING
    For Audi, the 12 Hours of Sebring will have a particular value: besides the usual preparation for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, this will be the last appearance of the LM P1 prototypes in Florida, before the new rules of the series that will be born in 2014 the merger of the American Le Mans Series and Grand Am

In thirteen entries in the 12 Hours of Sebring, the brand with the rings won ten victories and 22 podiums conquered. Michele Alboreto, Dindo Capello and Stefan Johansson are on the podium at the first participation of Audi (1999), Tom Kristensen is the record for wins (six wins), while Marco Werner and Tom Kristensen trio / Dindo Capello / Allan McNish respectively hold the lap record and distance. In 2013, the Audi e-tron quattro R18 first prototype hybrid to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans race for the first time at Sebring on March 16. To celebrate its American history, Audi will also showcase its prototype at Sebring ALMS an R8 titled in 2002, as well as R10 TDI and R15 TDI one R18 TDI, respectively victorious in Florida in 2007, 2009 and 2012.

Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): "Whoever survives the 12 Hours of Sebring without problem generally well equipped for any challenge. Once again, this race will be a dress rehearsal for the upcoming season at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the World Endurance Championship FIA. '

Ralf Jüttner (Technical Director Audi Sport Team Joest): "The 12 Hours of Sebring this year to represent a certain technical effort, because we send two cars from two different generations. However, it is a good thing that we can test the development of the e-tron quattro R18 in race conditions. It has been very beneficial for the preparation for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. '

Marcel Fässler (Audi R18 e-tron quattro # 1): "I ran twice at Sebring, but I've never been able to win so far. I want to change that, especially since this is probably our last chance before long we fight for victory with Audi. '

Oliver Jarvis (Audi e-tron quattro R18 # 1): "I was really happy lorsqu'Audi called me to tell me that I ran at Sebring. I am very proud to be in the car Marcel Fässler and Benoît Tréluyer, two double winners of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I'm sure I can learn a lot from them, and I hope it works for us three. '

Benoit Treluyer (Audi e-tron quattro R18 # 1): "Sebring is a special race for several reasons. Firstly, many fans extremely excited that offer a very special atmosphere. Then, it is difficult to find the right settings for the car because the track is very bumpy and constantly changing coating between the concrete and different types of bitumen. This race is a big challenge for everyone, and I look forward to confront. '

Lucas di Grassi (R18 Audi e-tron quattro # 2): "I've never been to Sebring, but my teammates told me that it was a fabulous race, and also a very demanding circuit. That's why I'm excited, but also happy to have the same crew that during my first race at Interlagos with Audi in 2012. Tom and Allan helped me a lot on this occasion, and once again their advice will be a great support. '

Tom Kristensen (Audi R18 e-tron quattro # 2): "A Sebring, nothing has changed since the days of Juan Manuel Fangio and Stirling Moss. The challenge is the same every year: do well in traffic, drive both safely and quickly on this very bumpy track - and win. This is even more special than it could be the last race of a prototype Audi at Sebring. '

Allan McNish (Audi R18 e-tron quattro # 2): "It was great news when I knew Audi was also run at Sebring in 2013. After all, this race occupies an important place in the sports history of Audi. There is a " feeling of farewell "which makes it even more special. There will probably even more than usual fans who will come to live the end of an era. Just like the Audi team, I will do my best to say goodbye to Sebring victory. It would make me very proud. '

(press information Audi Motorsport)

FIA WEC: A TRULY INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

09/03/2013 - 17h38

You would expect a World Championship to visit several continents, wouldn’t you? The FIA World Endurance Championship will, in 2013, visit eight prestigious circuits on four continents so it definitely ticks that box.

In competition at this level, you would also expect teams from all over the world to take part in the hope of being crowned a ‘World Champion’, and the FIA WEC entry list doesn’t disappoint. Eleven different nations will be represented across the four categories, LMP1 and LMP2, LMGTE Pro and Am, for the entire season…with the Chinese KCMG LMP2 entry bringing that number up to 12 for the opening round, the 6 Hours of Silverstone, on 14th April.

Audi Sport in LMP1 and Porsche teams in both of the LMGTE classes account for five German entries among the 35 cars on the Silverstone entry list, with the two Lotus entries in LMP2 bringing up the Germanic tally to seven.

Numerically that number is matched only by British-based teams: from Strakka Racing in LMP1, whose Union Flag adorns the aerodynamic bodywork fin, to Delta-ADR and Greaves Motorsport in LMP2, to the four Aston Martin entries in the LMGTE classes – all hoping to give the historic luxury marque something to celebrate in its centenary year.

No less than five cars will be proudly flying ‘le tricolore’ at Silverstone: three Oak Racing Morgan-Nissans in LMP2, the reigning LMGTE Am champions Larbre Compétition, and newcomer to the FIA WEC in that same category but a name of renown in endurance racing, IMSA Performance Matmut.

The USA and Italy both have three cars bearing their national colours – LMP2 Champions Starworks back to defend its title, and Krohn Racing going for honours in LMGTE Am alongside newcomer 8Star Motorsports. Italy, of course, means Ferraris and Ferraris means AF Corse with its entries across both GTE classes.

Japan’s Toyota Racing and Switzerland’s Rebellion Racing go head-to-head in LMP1 with two entries apiece, while Gulf Racing Middle East’s two Lola Coupe Nissans represent the Middle East’s United Arab Emirates. Russia, Canada and Argentina join China in being the sole ambassador in the FIA WEC for their individual country, each demonstrating the reach and popularity of endurance racing across the globe.

And what about the drivers? Tom Kristensen leads a charge of drivers from Denmark, Bruno Senna will be a huge star for the 6 Hours of São Paulo, while Venezuelans Enzo Potolicchio and Alex Popow will be as popular at the Circuit of the Americas as Cong Fu Chen will be in Shanghai. No less than 20 different countries will be represented across the driver line ups for the FIA WEC, but that’s a story for another day!

Got to say thankyou to Rebecca Jones at Aston Martin Racing For im now recieving AMR Press Releases.

Aston Martin set to debut 2013 Vantage GTE at Sebring

Aston Martin Racing’s 2013 motorsport season will get underway this weekend (13-16 March) at the 12 Hours of Sebring, Florida, following extensive test sessions at Portimao and Road Atlanta. The new V8-powered Vantage GTE – a revised version of the race-winning 2012 Vantage GTE – will make its competitive debut ahead of Aston Martin Racing’s four-car campaign in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC).

The team will run a pair of Vantage GTEs in the American Le Mans Series season opener in the GT class. The 2013-specification #97 car will be driven by long-standing factory drivers Darren Turner (GB) and Stefan Mücke (D) alongside new signing Bruno Senna (BR), while the #007 machine – built to 2012 specifications – will be driven by Aston Martin Racing newcomers Billy Johnson (US), Pedro Lamy (PT), and Paul Dalla Lana (CA).

John Gaw, team principal at Aston Martin Racing, comments: “We have continued to focus on improving the Vantage GTE’s durability and drivability while optimising performance and have managed to complete some significant mileage in the two sessions at Portimao and Road Atlanta. The plan was to get two full lifecycles on the 2013 car before the start of the WEC season and we’re on track to do so. The cars both performed very well and we are pleased with the data we have gathered.

“We have new drivers to the team in the #007 car, but everyone is gelling well and working hard together and they had impressive pace at the Road Atlanta test. We’ll be pushing hard for the best result. We’re also pleased to announce that Richie Stanaway, who joined us at the test session, will now be at the Sebring promoter test with us on Monday.”

“We always race to win, but Sebring is very much part of our 2013 pre-season test programme. If we can collect the data we require and achieve a podium with either car, we would have met our objectives.”

Factory driver Darren Turner comments: “It’s great to have so many fantastic drivers in the team. We had a good test session in Atlanta; the first day was cold so it was a bit more difficult to understand the car, but we still managed good mileage. Any minor issues were remedied quickly and effectively by the team, so we are pleased with progress. The second day was much warmer so we could really start to work on the car.

“If you look back at where we were last year to this year, we’re leaps and bounds ahead. I’m feeling positive going to Sebring.”

Team-mate Stefan Mücke comments: “The Road Atlanta test was good. We got two days of great running and any minor issues - which are to be expected in a test - were quickly sorted by the team. I'm looking forward to the Sebring promoter test day so we can get even more mileage on the car, get our race set-up running and so we can learn about the car's reliability. Bruno did a great job at testing and I think he's going to do well at Sebring.

Newcomer to the team, Bruno Senna, comments: “I'm enjoying every minute. The drivers are really supportive and are helping me to understand GT racing. That includes everything from low-level things like driver changes right up to driving the car to get the most out of it. I'm looking forward to Sebring; it's daunting but very exciting.

Billy Johnson, from the #007 car, adds: “Testing went well and I really enjoyed being part of the Aston Martin Racing team; they're a great bunch of people and I really appreciate the opportunity from John Gaw. The car is great to drive and I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out for Sebring.”

The 12 Hours of Sebring starts at 1045h local time on Saturday, 16 March with qualifying for the GT class at 1335h on Friday, 15 March.

Follow the team’s progress at www.astonmartin.com/racing, on Facebook www.fb.com/astonmartinracing and on Twitter using @amr_official.

- ENDS -
    Last edited by Rob; 11th March 2013 at 19:01.

Kamui Kobayashi confirms Ferrari WEC deal with AF Corse
    By Gary Watkins Monday, March 11th 2013, 18:21 GMT

Former grand prix driver Kamui Kobayashi has joined Ferrari's factory World Endurance Championship campaign.

The move, predicted in AUTOSPORT magazine last month, means that the former Toyota and Sauber Formula 1 driver will race a Ferrari 458 Italia in the GTE Pro class for the factory AF Corse team.

Kobayashi joins a select band of Ferrari factory GT drivers, which includes Gianmaria Bruni, Giancarolo Fisichella and Toni Vilander.

Kobayashi, 26, said: "It's an honour for me to become part of the Ferrari family. I will work hard and give my all in this new chapter of my career.

"I can't wait to start working with AF Corse and really hope I can aim for the title."

The Japanese tested for Ferrari at Aragon in Spain last month along with another F1 refugee, Karun Chandhok.

The identity of Kobayashi's co-driver for the eight-round WEC is not expected to be announced until next week. Finn Vilander, who is on Ferrari's roster of factory drivers, is among the candidates.

Bruni and Fisichella, who led the driver line-up that took AF to the teams' title and Ferrari to the manufacturers' crown, are expected to remain together.

Olivier Beretta, who was nominated by AF for its #71 car, is racing for the Risi Competizione Ferrari squad in the American Le Mans Series and will not be part of AF's full-time line-up.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105958

Heard that this day was coming few days ago, so happy to have Kobi driving for us. Benvenuti nella famiglia Kamui.
    Last edited by Rob; 11th March 2013 at 19:03.

FLASHBACK TO THE 12 HOURS OF SEBRING 1963.

Fifty years later, back on the 1963 edition of the 12 Hours of Sebring, courtesy of Louis Galanos, who wrote the report and here is a summary.

The context
    In 1963, the American Le Mans Series did not exist and the 12 Hours of Sebring was the second round of the World Sports Car (WSC) created the previous year. In 2013, as everyone knows, the situation is reversed: Sebring no longer part of the World Endurance Championship, ALMS and saw his final year before the merger with the Grand-Am next year. The year 1963 will go down in the history of endurance like the first confrontation between Ford first Ferrari confrontation that would continue for five years.

The committed
    The 1963 edition had been full of committed since 65 cars would take the start of the race. On the starting grid there were 13 prototypes (4 over 3000cc and 3000cc less than 9) and 52 GT (including 13 over 4000cc).

12 Hours of Sebring was the third round of the World Championship, after 3 hours of Daytona and 3 Hours of Sebring, contested the eve of the 12 Hours. The sleeve of Sebring was also the first gathering in 2013 sports-prototypes and GT, while at Daytona (where Pedro Rodriguez was imposed to Roger Penske, both on a Ferrari 250 GTO, and Corvette Stingray Thompson) and within 3 Hours of Sebring GT only ran.

Ferrari was the favorite of the 12 Hours of Sebring. The plant was officially committed SEFAC and hired two new Ferrari Ferrari 250 P, the 2953cc V12 engine was mounted longitudinally in the center position and not at the front as on previous models, and a Ferrari 330 LMB 4 liters. Regarding drivers, Ferrari was well provided with John Surtees / Lodovico Scarfiotti on 250 P # 30, Willy Mairesse / Nino Vaccarella / Lorenzo Bandini on 250 P 31 and Mike Parkes / Lorenzo Bandini (part two cars) Ferrari 350 LMB on No. 19, a proto closed instead of 250 P. In protos, Ferrrari could also rely on the Ferrari 330 TRI / LM, the 4 liter V12 positioned at the front, initiated by the North American Racing Team and driven by Phil Hill and Pedro Rodriguez, the NART Ferrari Dino also engaging 268SP for John Fulp and Harry Heuer.

The main opposition came from two Italian cars Chaparral Chaparral 1 Chevrolet Cars incurred by the No. 9 driven by Jim Hall and Hap Sharp, No. 10 by Ronnie Hissom, Bob Donner and Hap Sharp, both Chaparral V8 engine Chevrolet 5205cc motor before being provided with enough down-shark fin side. Other prototypes-three Austin Healey, Triumph TRS, a René Bonnet Djet Renault 1000cc and 1300cc ... Austin Mini Cooper, with much more limited opportunities.

The confrontation Ford-Ferrari not concerned yet the prototype category, but it was already the case in GT, even if it is the first American supremacy Corvette Stingray Ford wanted to demolish. At Daytona, a Shelby Cobra was fourth but was overtaken by the Corvette Stingray Thompson for third place. This led Henry Ford II to provide financial support to Carroll Shelby to try to outdo General Motors.

A Sebring therefore, six Cobra, equipped with 4.7-liter V8 Ford were involved, five were particularly sharp, three directly incurred by Shelby American Inc., One by Ed Hugus but enjoyed full support of the factory and the fifth by Holman Moody, Ford specialist closely related to the manufacturer. Crews were solid, with drivers such as Phill Hill, Ken Miles and Dan Gurney.

The Corvette had a slight numerical advantage on the Cobra, with seven Stingray initially when they were ten to Daytona. However, all these were Corvette private commitments.

Faced with large American Ferrari GT was also favorite with six Ferrari GTO engaged for two NART including Joachim Bonnier, who won the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1962, together with John Cannon and other GTO well prepared, that the Mecom Roger Penske Racing Team with Augie and Pabst, the Scuderia Centro Sud of Carlo Maria Abate and with Juan Manuel Bordeu or that of Rosebud Racing Team with Richie Ginther and Innes Ireland. Ferrari GTO were engaged in the GT class 3 liters.

In the plateau GT, other notable appearances were those of the Jaguar E-Type Lightweight with those of Briggs Cunningham with a crew consisting of shock Bruce McLaren and Walter Hansgen, incurred 4litres GT and the Porsche 356B Carrera GTL Abarth Porsche System Engineering in GT 2 liters, Don Wester / Bob Holbert and Edgar Barth / Herbert Linge.

Scrutineering
    Scrutineering before the race was very eventful. The new FIA regulations provoked lively discussion during technical inspections on Friday. The main question was the Chaparral which scrutineers judged the body lines too low. Protests rang out, having turned the car earlier this week without objections. The commissioners were adamant and Jim Hall had to bow. Adapt his mechanics last Friday night shark fin and lateral aluminum plates on the plexiglass windows.

The Chaparral however, were not the only defendants. This was also the case with the Ferrari 330 TRI / LM's North American Racing Team led by Pedro Rodriguez and Graham Hill, whose team also had to cover the aluminum plexiglass windows. The last TVR also make changes in a hurry.

The grid
    At the time there were no qualifications and the grid was determined by the displacement cars, bigger starting at the front. For this year 1963, are seven Corvette Stingray 5.3 liter V8 engine which occupied the first six lines to Cobra 4.7 liter, smaller displacements thus obviously back of the grid!

Race
    It was cold in the morning, but the sky was clear. 65 cars were involved but the TVR Ben Warren said package at the last minute and are 64 cars that showed on the track at 8:30 am for the starting grid.

The start was given at 10 hours, a Le Mans style start, drivers crossing the track running to get into their car, leaving just stolen by some riders. You can see on the picture of the start that safety features at least for the photographers were somewhat different from the present time!

The Corvette did not benefit from their preferential position long because they were overflowing in the first round by Cobra Phil Hill, while the Ferrari 33o TRI / LM Pedro Rodriguez was second. Rodriguez took the lead on the second lap.

Ferrari 250P John Surtees was an early favorite delayed after an ignition problem. Mark Donohue was the first to abandon his TVR Grantura renouncing after seven rounds. Corvette Thompson knew its share of problems gearbox.

Chaparral 1 Jim Hall after an early race was wise rise gradually toward the front of the race and even took first place briefly in the lead for the remaining two rounds. It was the first time since 1953 and the victory of Cunningham that American car in the lead. However, it was the swan song for the Chaparral who knew suddenly overheating problems with a leaking radiator. Jim Hall slows the pace, but the time it enters the pits, the engine was out of Chaparral and abandoned after 15 laps.

At the end of the first hour of the race, Pedro Rodriguez was still in command, before the Cobra Phil Hill, Ferrari 250 GTO Roger Penske / Augie Pabst, the Cobra Dan Gurney and Ferrari 330 LM Lorenzo Bandini / Mike Parkes .

Cobra Phil Hill and Dan Gurney led grand style to keep the leadership of GT, while the Corvette Thompson was finally abandoned, the driver behind the wheel of another Corvette. Cobra would not keep this pace however long and retrograded rapidly in the rankings.

This was the beginning of Ferrari domination, since in the third race, they were eight in the Top 10, the only intruders being a Ford Cobra and Jaguar Lightweight E. Dan Gurney had kept the wheel from the start and after four hours of racing he was fourth.

Ferrari, however, lost a unit shortly after, following an off the Ferrari 330 LMB Mike Parkes. The British driver was able to go into the pits but Ferrari had collided with a tree and the fuel tank was punctured. The 330 LMB was forced to retire.

At mid-race, the Ferraris were still in front, with the first position 330 TRI / LM Rodriguez / G.Hill before the Surtees 250P / Scarfiotti, the Mayor of 250P / Vaccarella, the 250 GTO Penske / Pabst first of GT and Cobra Dan Gurney who had every intention of doing only 12 hours.

Gurney was not long retain fifth place because he knew little problems after transmission, a gear box having probably been damaged after the Cobra is mounted on a hard edge. Gurney spent two hours at the booth for the repair and would eventually leave, finishing 29 th and 5 th of its kind, with Phil Hill took over from Dan Gurney.

Jaguar E Bruce McLaren / Walter Hansgen replaced the Cobra in fifth place while shortly before the ninth hour of the race, the 330 TRI / LM Rodriguez had small problems the exhaust brought back in third position while presqu'intégralement had led the race from the start.

Mayor / Vaccarella took first place, while Ludovico Scarfiotti second, returned briefly to the stand with a battery problem. Graham Hill, with his third 330 TRI / LM also knew some trouble at night. The generator of Ferrari was out of use and to save the battery weakened, Surtees stalled in the wake of another car in a straight line and cut the lights! This maneuver did not escape the commissioners and we could expect a black flag to stop Ferrari. However Graham Hill was an old late and off again the dim lighting that remained before the entrance to the straight line forums and commissioners thought that this light was sufficient. At the time, it was whispered that they were engineers team Ferrari official who reported problems flagship Ferrari NART to ensure the victory of a 250P .... Info or intox ? Anyway, Hill and Rodriguez had lower rates because of this insufficient lighting.

John Surtees and Ludovico Scarfiotti had taken first place in Willy Mairesse and Nino Vaccarella and Ferrari 250P No. 30 passed the finish line first in front of the sister car, one lap, Hill and Rodriguez taking a third place in two towers winners.

The three prototypes preceded three Ferrari GTO them, who also did the triple GT, Penske / Pabst ahead Abate / Bordeu and Ginther / Ireland before two Jaguar E Lightweight and two Porsche 356B Carrera Abarth that closed the Top 10 just before the Cobra Phil Hill / Spencer / Miles, 11 th .
    Last edited by Rob; 12th March 2013 at 18:36.

Monday Sebring Testing Notes - Afternoon

Audi, Corvette continue to lead through two hours.
    4 p.m.
    Lucas di Grassi improved on Audi Sport’s quickest time in Monday afternoon’s test session to a 1:46.262 in the No. 2 Audi R18 e-tron quattro. In his first visit to Sebring International Raceway, he was 0.895 seconds clear of Muscle Milk Pickett Racing’s No. 6 HPD ARX-03a three hours into the test.

All other fastest times in the remaining four classes were unchanged from the two-hour mark.

3 p.m.
    Audi Sport’s No. 2 R18 etron quattro continued as the fastest car in the four-hour afternoon test session at Sebring International Raceway. The top three cars were within 0.927 seconds – Muscle Milk Pickett Racing’s No. 6 HPD ARX-03a ran second with Rebellion Racing’s No. 12 Lola-Toyota not far behind.

Performance Tech Motorsports and BAR1 Motorsports swapped fastest laps in Prototype Challenge presented by Continental Tire. The No. 500 Performance Tech ORECA FLM09 ended the hour quickest at 1:55.574 – just 0.320 seconds clear of BAR1’s No. 8 entry.

Corvette Racing continued to lead GT at 2:00.212 with its No. 4 Corvette C6 ZR1. Instead of Aston Martin Racing being the closest challenger – as was the case this morning – Risi Competizione was second in the afternoon at 2:00.609 in the No. 62 Ferrari F458 Italia.

Alex Job Racing’s No. 22 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup was quickest in GT Challenge at 2:05.991, just 0.351 seconds clear of TRG’s No. 66 Porsche. The top five cars in class were within 0.693 seconds.

Greaves Motorsport, the solo P2 runner, improved on its best time to a 1:52.552 in the No. 41 Zytek-Nissan.

2 p.m.
    Just prior to the one-hour mark, the No. 2 Audi R18 etron quattro set the best time of the afternoon session at 1:46.692. That lap gave the factory hybrid a 0.465-second gap back to Muscle Milk Pickett Racing’s No. 6 HPD ARX-03a.

In GT, Corvette Racing’s No. 4 Corvette C6 ZR1 set the pace at 2:00.212 but was consistently close to breaking the two-minute mark. In Prototype Challenge presented by Continental Tire, Performance Tech Motorsports had the best lap – 1:57.089 in the No. 500 ORECA FLM09.

Defending GT Challenge race-winner Alex Job Racing was quickest in class with a 2:05.991 in the No. 22 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup. Greaves Motorsport was the lone P2 runner and set a best lap of 1:53.922 in the No. 41 Nissan-Zytek.

Kobi is now a Ferrari driver..Heres to another strong season for the 458's.

Audi’s di Grassi a Quick Learner at Sebring.

Sets fastest time on opening day of testing in R18 hybrid
    SEBRING, Fla. - Lucas di Grassi set the fastest time in the opening day of testing for the 61st Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring for Audi Sport, a lap of 1:46.262 (126.706 mph) in the No. 2 Audi R18 e-tron quattro hybrid prototype.

The Brazilian, a past Formula One regular and current test driver for Pirelli, drives in the U.S. for the first time in 19 years when the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón opens its season Saturday. Di Grassi is paired with Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish, who have a combined 10 overall Sebring victories to their credit – including last year.

Di Grassi’s lap in the second of Monday’s four-hour session at Sebring International Raceway was 0.199 seconds clear of Rebellion Racing’s No. 12 Lola B12/60-Toyota. It’s best time of 1:46.461 (126.469 mph) came in the morning portion of testing. Nico Prost, Nick Heidfeld and Neel Jani are in the No. 12 entry.

Muscle Milk Pickett Racing’s Honda Performance Development ARX-03a was third quickest at 1:47.157 (125.647 mph) – set in the afternoon. Klaus Graf, Lucas Luhr and Romain Dumas drive the No. 6 car.

Corvette Racing, looking for its first Sebring victory since 2009, led GT with a 1:59.411 (112.753 mph) for the No. 4 Corvette C6 ZR1 of defending ALMS class champions Tommy Milner and Oliver Gavin, and Richard Westbrook. Aston Martin Racing’s No. 97 Aston Martin Vantage was second at 1:59.969 (112.229 mph); Darren Turner, Stefan Mucke and Bruno Senna share driving duties.

Corvette’s second entry – the No. 3 of Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen and Jordan Taylor – was third quickest at 2:00.240 (111.976 mph). All three cars set their best times in the morning session.

In Prototype Challenge presented by Continental Tires, defending race and class champion CORE autosport set the best time of 1:54.030 (118.074 mph). Colin Braun, Jon Bennett and Mark Wilkins co-drive the No. 05 ORECA FLM09.

Like GT, the three fastest times in PC all came in the morning session. RSR Racing’s No. 9 of Bruno Junqueira and Alex Popow was second at 1:54.770 (117.313 mph), followed by the No. 8 BAR1 Motorsports entry of Kyle Marcelli, Chris Cumming and Stefan Johansson at 1:55.315 (116.758 mph).

Defending GT Challenge race and ALMS champion Alex Job Racing was quickest in class Monday at 2:05.297 (107.457 mph) in the No. 22 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup of Cooper MacNeil, Jeroen Bleekemolen and Dion von Moltke. Flying Lizard Motorsports’ two entries next; the No. 44 Porsche of Pierre Ehret, Alexandre Imperatori and Brett Sandberg set a best time of 2:05.813 (107.016 mph), just 0.023 seconds clear of the No. 45 sister car.

Greaves Motorsport was the lone P2 car to post a time. The best lap for the No. 41 Zytek-Nissan of Tom Kimber-Smith, Christian Zugel and Eric Lux was a 1:52.552 (119.655 mph).

There are two one-hour test sessions scheduled for Tuesday – 11:50 a.m. ET and 4:50 p.m. ET

Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport Team Joest
    No. 2 Audi R18 e-tron quattro (P1)
    “The last time I raced in the U.S. was in 1994 in an international go-kart race. The track is very different than what we are used to in Europe. It is like a street track on a road course. There is not a lot of margin for error. There are a lot of walls. The track is bumpy and tricky to drive with fast corners. The car is in good shape but we have some fine-tuning to do. Being fastest on the first day means we brought a good car for this race. Now it is just a matter of gaining more experience and learning from Tom and Allan when they jump in the car. I need to evolve and learn as much as I can from them.”

Jörg Müller, BMW Team RLL
    No. 55 BMW Z4 GTE (GT)
    “It is always nice to come to the warmth of Sebring and begin the ALMS season. This year we have a brand new baby in the BMW Z4 GTE, but it does have a familiar feel because it shares some of the components of the proven GT3 car. One of major areas we (were) focusing on today is tires. We have added Michelin this year and every lap gives us more data on this new combination. Of course there are always many little things to address with a new car, but certainly we have no issues with the look of this black beauty.”

Colin Braun, CORE autosport
    No. 05 ORECA FLM09 (PC)
    "It’s nice to be here again and have a year under my belt in the PC car; it makes me feel more comfortable. I feel like I can get a lot more out of the car. It’s nice to have this experience rather than having to figure out how to drive the car at Sebring. It was fun to go out on the Continental tires. I was really impressed with the pace that it had and the grip. We’re working on some things with the tire that will hopefully help us in the race. We’ve got a lot to learn, but initially we’re pretty happy with it. We’ll just keep checking things off of my engineer Gary (Davies’) list of things he wants to try."

Risi Comp welcome back an old friend!

What better way to start a new ALMS season than to welcome back to Risi Comp the friendly face and enormous driving talents of Gimmi Bruni!

For Sebring, the opening round of the 10-race championship, the recently announced full-season pairing of Olivier Beretta and Matteo Malucelli will be partnered by the Italian who last raced with the team in the ALMS in 2010. The inclusion of the Ferrari factory driver makes the Risi line up a true force to be reckoned with.

Gimmi has won with Risi at all the majors, including the Florida classic in 2010, and has claimed GTE pole position at Sebring for the last two years in an AF Corse Ferrari. The 32-year-old is passionate about racing in the USA and enthusiastic about joining the vastly-experienced team again. He still looks back warmly on his 2010 season in the ALMS, and counts the 12-hour race of that season as his favorite.

“My favorite Sebring race was for sure in 2010 when I won with Risi Competizione,” says the 2012 FIA World Endurance GTE Pro champion. “I have always loved the Sebring event and I have now done it for a few years. Last year was a bad memory as it was a very tough race and we had problems with the car.

“We know that the GT class at Sebring will be very, very strong, and I hope the Ferrari 458 will live up to expectations this year, as it has done in the past. Our testing sessions over the winter were good and now we have to wait for the first race to see whether the other GT competitors have hidden anything!”

At the moment this is the only race Bruni is available to do with Risi as his main focus will be in the FIA WEC with AF Corse.

just couple pictures from Risi..

Oh what a shame, was looking forward to seeing him at Le-Mans with his own team..

Sebastien Loeb's team to withdraw Le Mans 24 Hours entry
    By Gary Watkins Thursday, March 14th 2013, 17:07 GMT

Nine-time World Rally champion Sebastien Loeb's team is set to withdraw its entry for this year's Le Mans 24 Hours.

Sebastien Loeb Racing was due to contest the 24 Hours for the first time this season with an ORECA-Nissan 03 LMP2 alongside an assault on the European Le Mans Series with the same car.

It is understood that the team has been unable to raise the necessary finance for the programme.

Loeb's squad will instead concentrate on twin campaigns in the FIA GT Series and French GT Championship with a pair of McLaren MP4-12C GT3s and its attack on the French Porsche Carrera Cup.

No comment was available from the team.

A withdrawal by Loeb would move the Swiss Race Performance squad up from the reserve entry list for Le Mans and also leave former Peugeot factory man Franck Montagny out of a drive.

Loeb started his team ahead of last season, running in both the ELMS and the Carrera Cup. It also took part in the Le Mans test day with the ORECA as a precursor to its proposed assault on the 24 Hours this year.

The rally legend will be racing full-time for his team this year in the GT Series, which has replaced the GT1 World Championship.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106025

Kristensen Gives Audi Thursday Sweep at Sebring

Gavin puts Corvette back on top in GT

SEBRING, Fla. – For the third time in three Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida practice sessions on Thursday, Audi Sport Team Joest found its way to the top of the time charts in night practice.

Six-time Sebring overall winner Tom Kristensen took the honors in the darkness, pushing the No. 2 Audi R18 e-tron quattro to a best lap at 1:46.660 (126.233 mph). Kristensen – who shares the ride with four-time Sebring champ Allan McNish and Lucas di Grassi – was 0.026 seconds quicker than teammate Benoit Treluyer in the No. 1 Audi.

Treluyer – who co-drives with Marcel Fassler and Oliver Jarvis – logged a best time of 1:46.686 (126.202 mph). Third overall and in the P1 category was Lucas Luhr in the Honda-powered No. 6 Muscle Milk Pickett Racing HPD ARX-03c. Luhr was slightly more than eight tenths of a second off the lead at 1:47.483 (125.266 mph) in the car he shares with Klaus Graf and Romain Dumas.

The top time in P2 went to Ryan Briscoe in the No. 551 Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-03b with a lap of 1:52.138 (120.066 mph). Briscoe’s co-drivers are Marino Franchitti and Scott Tucker, who is also entered to co-drive the team’s No. 552 HPD ARX-03b with IndyCar drivers Ryan Hunter-Reay and Simon Pagenaud. Hunter-Reay owned the second-fastest P2 time of night practice at 1:52.735 (119.431 mph). David Brabham was third in P2 at 1:53.133 (119.010 mph) in the No. 01 HPD ARX-03b for Extreme Speed Motorsports. Brabham’s ESM teammates are Scott Sharp and Guy Cosmo.

A close GT battle saw the top four cars covered by less than half a second, with defending ALMS GT champion Oliver Gavin leading the way in the No. 4 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1. Gavin’s best lap was a 2:00.282 (111.937 mph) in the machine he is sharing with Tommy Milner and Richard Westbrook.

Jordan Taylor was second in class in the No. 3 Corvette at 2:00.406 (111.822 mph) he will co-drive on Saturday with Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia. Third in GT went to Olivier Beretta in the No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari F458 Italia at 2:00.736 (111.516 mph). Beretta’s co-drivers are Italian countrymen Gianmaria Bruni and Matteo Malucelli.

David Ostella paced the Prototype Challenge presented by Continental Tire with a lap of 1:55.662 (116.408 mph) in the No. 52 PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports ORECA FLM09 he shares with David Cheng and Mike Guasch. Pierre Kaffer was second in PC aboard the No. 81 DragonSpeed Mishumotors entry at 1:56.467 (115.604 mph), followed by Colin Braun in the No. 05 CORE autosport machine at 1:56.656 (115.416 mph). Kaffer’s No. 81 co-drivers are Micro Schultis and Patrick Simon, while Braun is sharing the No. 05 with Jonathan Bennett and Mark Wilkins.

Spencer Pumpelly topped the charts in GT Challenge at 2:06.376 (106.539 mph) in the No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 Cup he is sharing with Nelson Canache Jr. and Brian Wong. The second-quickest GTC lap went to Andy Lally in the No. 27 Dempsey Del Piero Racing Porsche at 2:06.570 (106.376 mph). Lally’s co-drivers are Patrick Dempsey and Joe Foster. Jeroen Bleekemolen completed the GTC top three at 2:06.721 (106.249 mph) in the No. 22 Alex Job Racing Porsche. Bleekemolen’s co-drivers are Cooper MacNeil and Dion von Moltke.

The next practice session is set for 9:20 a.m. ET on Friday. It will be the final practice session prior to qualifying later in the day at 1:15 p.m. ET.

Prototype 1 (P1) Top 3
    • Tom Kristensen – No. 2 Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R18 e-tron quattro – 1:46.660 (126.233 mph)
    • Benoit Treluyer – No. 1 Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R18 e-tron quattro – 1:46.686 (126.202 mph)
    • Lucas Luhr – No. 6 Muscle Milk Pickett Racing HPD ARX-03c – 1:47.483 (125.266 mph)

Prototype 2 (P2) Top 3
    • Ryan Briscoe – No. 551 Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-03b – 1:52.138 (120.066 mph)
    • Ryan Hunter-Reay – No. 552 Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-03b – 1:52.735 (119.431 mph)
    • David Brabham – No. 01 Extreme Speed Motorsports HPD ARX-03b – 153.133 (119.010 mph)

Grand Touring (GT) Top 3
    • Oliver Gavin – No. 4 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 – 2:00.282 (111.937 mph)
    • Jordan Taylor – No. 3 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 – 2:00.406 (111.822 mph)
    • Matteo Malucelli – No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 Italia – 2:00.736 (111.516 mph)

Prototype Challenge presented by Continental Tire (PC) Top 3
    • David Ostella – No. 52 PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports ORECA FLM09 – 1:55.662 (116.408 mph)
    • Pierre Kaffer – No. 81 Dragon Speed Mishumotors ORECA FLM09 – 1:56.467 (115.604mph)
    • Colin Braun – No. 05 Composite Resources CORE autosport ORECA FLM09 – 1:56.656 (115.416 mph)

GT Challenge (GTC) Tire Top 3
    • Spencer Pumpelly – No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 Cup – 2:06.376 (106.539 mph)
    • Andy Lally – No. 27 Dempsey Del Piero Racing Porsche 911 GT3 Cup – 2:06.570 (106.376 mph)
    • Jeroen Bleekemolen – No. 22 Alex Job Racing Porsche 911 GT3 Cup – 2:06.721 (106.249 mph)

I know it came out earlier in weeek, but heres the official AF Corse press release.

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...W0C7Hf_Zs5AACA

yeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss.....
    Risi Competizione ‏@risicomp Protected account
    Bruni does hold P1 in Qualifying #sebring #alms Checkered flag out! #GT
    1:58.815

RISI CLAIMS GT POLE POSITION AT SEBRING ON RETURN TO ALMS

Driving the #62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 Italia, Gianmaria Bruni today claimed pole position in the super-competitive GT category of the American Le Mans Series.

His fastest lap of 1:58.815 was one tenth of a second faster than his nearest competitor, the #4 Corvette, and firmly re-establishes the North American Ferrari team as one of the premier GT racing teams in the world. Bruni completed a total of just five laps, with his first flying lap stopping the clock at 1:58.896. After backing off a little in order to cool his Michelin tires, the Scuderia Ferrari driver set about improving his time.

It is the Italian’s third successive GT pole for Ferrari at the Twelve Hours of Sebring, the traditional opening round of the ALMS, but the first for the Risi team since Petit Le Mans in 2010. Bruni won the Florida classic with Risi in 2010, and has claimed GT pole for Italy’s AF Corse team in 2011 and 2012.

A delighted Giuseppe Risi, Team Principal, said afterwards: “This is a very good start for us for the weekend. It shows that our team is together and, more than anything else, I’m pleased for them as they’ve worked well together and put in a lot of hours leading up until today. Hopefully we’re giving our drivers the car they need to succeed tomorrow as that’s the result that matters the most.”

After a 12-month gap from competition, Risi has put Ferrari back at the front of GT racing in North America. Up against Aston Martin, BMW, Corvette, a second Ferrari 458, Porsche and the SRT Vipers, the race is destined to be one of the classics. It is the last time that the Twelve Hours of Sebring will be run under the ALMS banner, with the combined ALMS/Grand-Am series due to operate next year as United Sportscar Racing.

Gimmi Bruni and his Risi team mates, Olivier Beretta and Matteo Malucelli, have worked closely with the team’s engineering team and Michelotto all week to optimize the set up for the F458. With varying weather and track conditions right up until today, the team’s pace and performance has improved incrementally as the week has progressed. In this morning’s final practice session, Bruni gave an early indication of his intent to gain pole, topping the time sheets once again.

The Roman driver, now based in Monaco, loves racing in North America and was thrilled to give Giuseppe Risi this well-timed boost before tomorrow’s race.

Gianmaria Bruni: “For sure it was a very nice qualifying session with a clear track and no traffic. I’m very happy for Giuseppe Risi and the team. His passion has got the team back to the ALMS and everyone’s worked very hard to get to where we are today.

“It’s great to be back in the ALMS, on a nice circuit like this at Sebring, and to start the first qualifying session of the year with pole. I have liked the circuit ever since my first race here with Risi in 2008; I like the bumps and when it’s not easy for everyone – it’s a bigger challenge.

“I’m very happy to be working with Matteo and Olivier for this race, and I hope they will have a great season with the red car in the USA. I hope we can convert it into a win tomorrow, unlike the last two years, and look forward to being in a great position at 10:45 pm tomorrow.”

Fassler Leads Audi 1-2 in Qualifying at Sebring

Welcome back Risi: Bruni takes GT pole in Ferrari

With years of Audi history on hand this weekend at Sebring International Raceway, Marcel Fassler proved why Audi continues to press the future in sports car endurance racing. A hybrid-powered prototype is on pole position for the first time in the 61st Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida. Marcel Fassler set a track record with a 1:43.886 (129.604 mph) in Audi Sport Team Joest’s No. 1 Audi R8 e-tron quattro.

The pole position also is the first for a hybrid car in the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón, which opens its season Saturday at Sebring. Fassler was only 0.009 seconds clear of Allan McNish in the No. 2 Audi. Both cars were under the existing track record set in 2007.

“It was a really tight battle for the pole,” said Fassler, who will drive with Benoit Treluyer and Oliver Jarvis. “My car was already really great yesterday so I knew I could do it. As everyone knows, it not easy to go for pole at this track. It is bumpy and easy to make a lot of mistakes, so the key is make as few as possible.”

Audi is looking for its 11th victory at Sebring since 2000. It became the first manufacturer to win a major sports car race with diesel power in 2006, and last season it became the first to win the Le Mans 24 Hours with a hybrid prototype.

Nick Heidfeld was third for Rebellion Racing at 1:46.456 (126.475 mph) in the No. 13 Lola-Toyota.

GT
    Gianmaria Bruni added another highlight to Risi Competizione’s return to full-time ALMS competition with pole position in GT. The Italian set a time of 1:58.815 in the No. 62 Ferrari F458 Italia that he shares with Olivier Beretta and Matteo Malucelli. This marks the fifth GT pole position at Sebring for Risi since 2007 and Bruni’s third straight.

“It was a very close battle, as it always is in GT,” Bruni said. “This is very challenging place for qualifying. Three poles in a row with Risi… I don't know why. I like the bumpy circuit. It makes it a bit difficult for everyone.”

Bruni was 0.119 seconds clear of the No. 4 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 Oliver Gavin, last year’s ALMS GT co-champion. Stefan Mucke was third at 1:58.990 in Aston Martin Racing’s No. 97 Aston Martin Vantage V8.

The top seven cars were within 0.728 seconds, and the entire class was within 1.550 seconds.

P2
    Ryan Briscoe saved his best for last to take his first career Sebring pole and first in the ALMS since late in the 2008 season. The Australian set a lap of 1:51.159 (121.124 mph) in Level 5 Motorsports’ No. 551 Honda Performance Development ARX-03b prototype. His time was 0.112 seconds better than teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay in the No. 552 Level 5 entry.

The fight was a familiar one to IndyCar fans as both are open-wheel regulars.

“It's great to be back in Sebring. I haven't been here since 2008,” Briscoe said. “It's great to see the hard work from the crew pay off with the pole. It was like old times dialing with Hunter-Reay for the pole. It's been interesting as usual; the track conditions change so much. The wind has a big effect on the car at this place. It's been difficult to remain patient and not chase the conditions too much.”

Prototype Challenge presented by Continental Tire
    CORE autosport’s Colin Braun set a class record in Prototype Challenge presented by Continental Tire on his final time around Sebring – a 1:53.404 lap in the No. 05 ORECA FLM09. He knocked RSR Racing’s Bruno Junqueira off pole as CORE looks for its second consecutive class victory at the 12 Hours.

The top four cars were under last year’s record mark, an impressive feat considering this is the first week for the class on Continental Tires. Junqueira’s time was 0.270 seconds behind Braun with Pierre Kaffer third at 1:53.838 for DragonSpeed Mishumotors’ No. 81 ORECA FLM09.

Braun and teammate Jon Bennett, driving with Mark Wilkins, placed third in last year’s race and finished second in the class championship. Braun said nothing short of PC title will do this year; Friday was a great start.

“We really worked hard figuring out the new Continental tire which are great,” Braun said. “They should make for a great race. The new tire seems to hold up pretty darn good. We could go out in practice and do simulated qualifying runs. It's hard to get a sense of it with all the traffic we had in practice, but I was surprised to put in that lap at the end. We didn't get to do a lot of simulation to know the drop-off and the optimal temperature, but the tires are holding up really well.”

GTC
    Andy Lally captured his first career Sebring pole position and one on the debut for Dempsey Del Piero Racing with a 2:05.446 in the team’s No. 27 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup. He outpaced both Alex Job Racing’s Jeroen Bleekemolen and Flying Lizard Motorsports’ Spencer Pumpelly by 0.301 seconds. Pumpelly will start second as he was the first to post the 2:05.747 lap in the No. 45 Porsche.

Lally, driving with team owners Patrick Dempsey and Joe Foster, wasn’t in the top five when he threw down his pole lap.

“The car was really good this morning when we rolled out in the morning practice session,” Lally said. “We knew it would get greasy for this session but overcompensated with too much understeer. I cooled the tires down, did an allowed air pressure change and it hooked us up.”

The GTC class during the testing and practice sessions was the tightest of the five categories. Prior to Lally’s lap, Bleekemolen was on the provisional pole by less than a tenth of a second, and the top seven cars were within a half-second.

It was a remarkable story for Lally – a Porsche specialist – and the Dempsey Del Piero squad. The team formed late in 2012 and tested its two Porsches at Sebring for the first time less than a month ago. Certainly the highest-profile component of the team is Dempsey, a Hollywood star and accomplished driver in his own right who is racing professionally at Sebring for the first time. Saturday, his Porsche will start from pole position in the ALMS’ biggest race.

“This is a phenomenal car and a phenomenal track for the drivers,” he said. “There is such a great history here. I’m so happy to be here and lucky to be here racing. There has a been a lot going on in the last month from when we got the car. But it’s been fun and a great challenge. It’s a great escape to get out of Hollywood and be with everyone.”

Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida
    Sebring International Raceway, Sebring, Fla.
    Friday’s qualifying
    1. Marcel Fassler, Gross, Switzerland; Benoit Treluyer, Alecon, France; Oliver Jarvis, Burwell, UK; Audi R18 e-tron quattro (P1), 1:43.886, 129.604
    2. Lucas di Grassi, Monaco, Monte Carlo; Tom Kristensen, Hobro, Denmark; Allan McNish, Dumfries, Scotland; Audi R18 e-tron quattro (P1), 1:43.895, 129.592
    3. Nicolas Prost, Fenchy, France; Nick Heidfeld, Monchengladbach, Germany; Neel Jani, Jens, Switzerland; Lola B12/60 Toyota (P1), 1:46.456, 126.475
    4. Klaus Graf, Dornham, Germany; Lucas Luhr, Koblenz, Germany; Romain Dumas, Ales, France; HPD ARX-03c (P1), 1:46.478, 126.449
    5. Mathias Beche, Geneva, Switzerland; Congfu Frankie Cheng, Beijeng, China; Andrea Belicchi, Medolla, Italy; Lola B12/60 Toyota (P1), 1:46.689, 126.199
    6. Chris Dyson, Pleasant Valley, N.Y.; Guy Smith, Yorkshire, UK; Butch Leitzinger, State College, Pa.; Lola B12/60 Mazda (P1), 1:48.407, 124.199
    7. Scott Tucker, Leawood, Kan.; Marino Franchitti, Edinburgh, Scotland; Ryan Briscoe, Sydney, Australia; HPD ARX-03b (P2), 1:51.159, 121.124
    8. Scott Tucker, Leawood, Kan. (US); Ryan Hunter-Reay, Boca Raton, Fla.; Simon Pagenaud, Montmorillon, France; HPD ARX-03b (P2), 1:51.271, 121.002
    9. Tom Kimber-Smith, Reading, UK; Christian Zugel, Holmdel, N.J.; Eric Lux, Jacksonville, Fla.; Zytek Z11SN Nissan (P2), 1:51.366, 120.899
    10. Scott Sharp, Jupiter, Fla.; Guy Cosmo, Long Island, N.Y.; David Brabham, Henley-on-Thames, UK; HPD ARX-03b (P2), 1:52.703, 119.464
    11. Ed Brown, Las Vegas, Nev., Johannes van Overbeek, San Francisco, Calif.; Anthony Lazzaro, Acworth, Ga.; HPD ARX-03b (P2), 1:53.074, 119.072
    12. Jonathan Bennett, Fort Mill, S.C.; Colin Braun, Ovalo, Texas; Mark Wilkins, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; ORECA FLM09 (PC), 1:53.404, 118.726
    13. Bruno Junqueira, Belo Horizonte, Brazil (BRA); Alex Popow, Lecheria, Venezuela; Duncan Ende, Los Angeles, Calif.; ORECA FLM09 (PC), 1:53.674, 118.444
    14. Mirco Schultis, Wiesbaden, Germany (DE); Patrick Simon, Wiesbaden, Germany (DE); Pierre Kaffer, Sclieren, Germany; ORECA FLM09 (PC), 1:53.838, 118.273
    15. Olivier Pla, Toulouse, France; Andy Meyrick, Cheshire, U.K.; DeltaWing LM12 Elan (P1), 1:53.866, 118.244
    16. David Cheng, Samamish, Fla.; Michael Guasch, Palo Alto, Calif.; David Ostella, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; ORECA FLM09 (PC), 1:54.311, 117.784
    17. Kyle Marcelli, Barrie, Ontario, Canada; Chris Cumming, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; Stefan Johansson, Los Angeles, Calif.; ORECA FLM09 (PC), 1:54.520, 117.569
    18. Tristan Nunez, Boca Raton, Fla.; Charlie Shears, Houston, Texas; David Heinemeier Hansson, Chicago, Ill.; ORECA FLM09 (PC), 1:54.598, 117.489
    19. Tomy Drissi, Hollywood, Calif.; Rusty Mitchell, Midland, Texas; David Ducote, Miami, Fla.; ORECA FLM09 (PC), 1:55.282, 116.792
    20. Gianmaria Bruni, Rome, Italy (ITA); Olivier Beretta, Monte Carlo, Monaco; Matteo Malucelli, Meldola, Italy; Ferrari F458 Italia (GT), 1:58.815, 113.319
    21. Oliver Gavin, Yardley Hastings, England; Tom Milner, Leesburg, Va. (USA); Richard Westbrook, London, England (ENG); Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 (GT), 1:58.934, 113.206
    22. Darren Turner, London, England; Stefan Mucke, Berlin, Germany; Bruno Senna, Sao Paulo, Brazil; Aston Martin Vantage V8 (GT), 1:58.990, 113.152
    23. Paul Dalla Lana, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Billy Johnson, Charlotte, N.C. (US); Pedro Lamy, Lisbon, Portugal; Aston Martin Vantage V8 (GT), 1:59.208, 112.945
    24. Jan Magnussen, Roskilde, Denmark; Antonio Garcia, Barcelona, Spain; Jordan Taylor, Apopka, Fla.; Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 (GT), 1:59.348, 112.813
    25. Jonathon Bomarito, Monterey, Calif.; Tommy Kendall, New Smyrna Beach, Fla.; Kuno Wittmer, Montreal, Ontario, Canada; SRT Viper GTS-R Viper V-10 (GT), 1:59.430, 112.735
    26. Bryce Miller, Hoboken, N.J. (US); Marco Holzer, Bobingen, Germany; Richard Lietz, Ybbsitz, Austria; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT), 1:59.543, 112.629
    27. Bill Auberlen, Hermosa Beach, Calif.; Maxime Martin, Brussels, Belgium; Jorg Muller, Monte Carlo, Monaco; BMW Z4 GTE (GT), 1:59.736, 112.447
    28. Dirk Mueller, Tagerwilen, Switzerland; Joey Hand, Sacramento, Calif.; Sean Edwards, London, UK; BMW Z4 GTE (GT), 1:59.847, 112.343
    29. Ryan Dalziel, Orlando, Fla.; Dominik Farnbacher, Ansbach, Germany; Marc Goossens, Geel, Belgium; SRT Viper GTS-R Viper V-10 (GT), 1:59.898, 112.295
    30. Bill Sweedler, Westport, Conn.; Townsend Bell, Santa Monica, Calif.; Leh Keen, Dublin, Ga.; Ferrari F458 Italia (GT), 2:00.308, 111.913
    31. Wolf Henzler, Nurtingen, Germany; Bryan Sellers, Braselton, Ga.; Nick Tandy, Bedford, UK; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT), 2:00.365, 111.860
    32. Patrick Dempsey, Malibu, Calif.; Andy Lally, Dacula, Ga.; Joe Foster, Lawrenceville, Ga.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:05.446, 107.32
    33. Cooper MacNeil, Hinsdale, Ill.; Jeroen Bleekemolen, Monte Carlo, Monaco; Dion von Moltke, Coral Gables, Fla.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:05.747, 107.072
    34. Henrique Cisneros, Miami, Fla.; Christian Englehart, Koesching, Germany; Sean Edwards, London, UK; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:05.747, 107.072
    35. Nelson Canache, Caracas, Venezuela; Spencer Pumpelly, Atlanta, Ga.; Brian Wong, Newport Beach, Calif.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:05.765, 107.057
    36. Ben Keating, Port Lavaca, Texas; Damien Faulkner, Mouille, Ireland; Craig Stanton, Long Beach, Calif.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:05.910, 106.934
    37. Mike Hedlund, Woodside, Calif.; Jan Heylen, Tampa, Fla.; Jon Fogarty, Bend, Ore.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:05.936, 106.911
    38. Pierre Ehret, Santa Rosa, Calif.; Alexandre Imperatori, Geneva, Switzerland Brett Sandberg, Allendale, N.J.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:06.059, 106.807
    39. Michael Avenatti, Los Angeles, Calif.; Andrew Davis, Athens, Ga.; Bob Faieta, Tujunga, Calif.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:06.219, 106.672
    40. Al Carter, Claymont, Del.; Kevin Estre, Lyon, France; Carlos de Quesada, Gainesville, Fla.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:06.246, 106.649
    41. Carlos Gomez, Bogota, Columbia; Mario Farnbacher, Ansbach, Germany; Jakub Giermaziak, Gostyn, Poland; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:07.057, 105.968
    42. David Calvert-Jones, Melbourne, Australia; Sascha Maassen, Aachen, Germany; Lawson Aschenbach, West Palm Beach, Fla.; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (GTC), 2:07.366, 105.711.

Deltawing coupe revealed
    By Sam // March 14, 2013

The new coupe version of the Deltawing has been shown off at Sebring. This updated car will use a new chassis built by Elan (Panoz) and be powered by an all new carbon fibre engine. The team hopes to run the new car at Laguna Seca but it looks probable that the car will not be ready. The coupe features a new chassis designed by Simon Marshall, built by Elan Technology, the show car does not feature definitive bodywork
    Elan hope to run it in the ALMS as an LMP1 car in 2013 and in LMP2 next year. The open car will run in LMPC. A LMP2 entry for Le Mans is hoped for too.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...oupe-revealed/

Yes, Sebring 12hrs now on. Come on Risi, good luck to Allan Mcnish, hope he gets win on this final visit.

ALMS Racing ‏@almsnotes
    #3 Corvette had contact w/ #05 @COREautosport at T13. Both continued but 05 had a long off before rejoining.