Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 WEC, IMSA&ELMS News

Listened to Quali on Radio LeMans. Not entirely sure how both Audis managed to mess up as much as they did!

Picture of the Audi #2 after scrutineering at WEC, from Scarbs Twitter..
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

FIA WEC – Third row for AF Corse’s 458 GT in Silverstone.

Silverstone, 13 April 2013 – Not a great day for the 458 Italia in this season’s first race in the Endurance World Championship, held in Silverstone.
    The best result in the qualifying on a wet track, dominated by Aston Martin, was a fifth position (2.01.512 the average lap time set by the drivers according to the new rules) by car no. 51, driven by Giancarlo Fisichella and Gimmi Bruni, ahead of the other AF Corse car with Kamui Kobayashi and Toni Vilander (2.01.803).
    In the GTE AM category the best place gained by a car from Maranello war a third with Gerber-Cioci-Griffin (AF Corse), ahead of the 8Star Motorsport team with Potolicchio, Aguas and Peter, followed by Krohn-Jonsson-Mediani (Krohn Racing) on 7th position.
    The 6 Hours of Silverstone will start tomorrow at 12pm GMT.

Im really not sure about this new quali set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Sorry Tobes...

Deltawing coupe race debut set back from Laguna Seca ALMS round

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Im really not sure about this new quali set-up.
    Bloody awful.

RAM RACING CONQUER CONDITIONS TO CLAIM DOUBLE PODIUM

Second and Third in LMGTE at Silverstone

MEDIA RELEASE: 13th April 2013

Ram Racing’s two Ferrari 458 Italias today claimed second and third positions in the LMGTE category for the 3 Hours of Silverstone, the opening round of the European Le Mans Series. However, it turned out to be the 2 hours and 15 minutes of Silverstone: the race not reaching its full distance as treacherous track conditions caused by torrential rain meant the event was red-flagged at 75% distance, some 45 minutes before it should have reached its conclusion.

To finish the first round of a new Championship on the second and third steps of the podium would, in normal circumstances, be considered a good result for most racing teams. With the benefit of time and perspective, it is certain that everyone within the Ram Racing team – newcomers to the world of international GT racing this year – will indeed feel just that.

However, having started the 3 Hours of Silverstone from LMGTE pole and enjoyed watching young American driver Frankie Montecalvo lead the class for 12 laps of the 48-lap race, the joy at seeing the crew of the No.52 Ferrari 458 Italia (Mowlem/Griffin) and the No.53 (Jeannette/Montecalvo) climb the second and third steps of the winners’ podium was a little muted. This was entirely due to the fact that all four drivers, engineers and crew knew that – had conditions been different – they would have been in a strong position to take the class win.

Team Principal Dan Shufflebottom summed up after the event: ““If you had said 15 months ago that we would have had a second and third in our first race we would have taken it. I think there is a little bit of disappointment within the team that we didn’t get a win after getting pole position in qualifying with the No. 52 this morning. It was a really tricky race for the drivers, but we tried to keep them as calm as possible and give them as much information as we could. You know, on reflection, it’s an amazing result for the team; everyone has worked really hard so I’m really pleased for them.”

Johnny Mowlem
    Started from LMGTE pole position and handed the wheel to Griffin at the 1hr20 mark. Finished 2nd

“It was a very difficult race because we started on slicks and literally, on the formation lap, it started raining and was treacherous. I was going to pit, but [eventual class winner] Nick Tandy in the Porsche got past me. He didn’t pit so I decided to stay out as well but I should have actually pitted at that point. The aquaplaning started about 25 minutes towards the end of my stint; I managed to keep going although the conditions were terrible on track.

"The Porsche seemed to be able to go so much faster than we did because of the weight on its rear axle but I plugged on and the most important thing is that we’ve got two great podium finishes and no damage to the cars. That’s no mean achievement in those conditions. The No. 53 did a great job to take third position and we are looking good for the team championship with this result…looking forward to Imola very much now!”

Matt Griffin

Drove from lap 31 to 48, mostly behind the safety car, finishing 2nd

“I spent most of my time under the safety car, all but two I think, but that still goes down as one of the hardest stints I have ever had in a racing car. Honestly I was glad to see the safety car come out as conditions were really bad but I could barely keep up with it as we had a big aquaplaning issue. I was worried that if we went much further I’d have crashed. We go out to try and win every race but to come away with P2 and both cars on the podium is an amazing start for the team in its first ELMS race and I’m really confident the top step of the podium won’t be far away for us.”

Gunnar Jeanette

Was only able to complete one lap in dry conditions all weekend, finishing 3rd in LMGTE

“I’ve now done more than 5 laps, one in dry conditions, and I think I hurt the situation when – yesterday morning in practice – I thought there was no way conditions could be worse than that. They were today. I didn’t do a single green lap and it was probably the worst conditions I’ve ever driven in. I was going as hard as I could and didn’t think I’d be able to catch the safety car.

"We owe our position to the team. They made a great call with Frankie on the first lap to get us a ton of positions and give Frankie a 40 second lead which was awesome. It was not the result we wanted or the way we wanted to get it, but a double podium for the team in their first race in the ELMS is pretty sweet so we will take it. We won’t turn down a second or third in our first race and look forward to some warmer weather in Italy in May.”

Frankie Montecalvo
    Led the LMGTE category on his debut at Silverstone, in appalling conditions, finishing 3rd

“That was one of the worst race conditions that I have ever driven in but to finish with both cars on the podium was a great way to start the season. Only to finish 1-2 would have been better. Our engineers and crew made a great call to put rain tyres on the first lap – I didn’t make the call but agreed with it, obviously! Until the track got really swamped, we really didn’t have any issues. I kept pushing and just focused on opening up a gap. I did everything I could to keep the car on the track but as the rain got worse it became more difficult. To have both cars on the podium is a great result for the team, and I’m now looking forward to the next race which will hopefully be in warmer conditions.”

Audi Sport ‏@Audi__Sport 1m
    The drivers of Audi no 1 are practicing driver changes for todays @FIAWEC race. #R18 #AudiSport @SilverstoneUK http://t

WEC drivers slam new, 'dangerous' qualifying format
    By Gary Watkins Sunday, April 14th 2013, 07:40 GMT

The new World Endurance Championship qualifying procedure has been roundly criticised by the drivers.

They argue that the new systems, under which the grid is determined by the aggregate time of the two fastest laps set by each of two drivers, is both confusing and potentially dangerous.

Toyota driver Nicolas Lapierre, who claimed pole together with Alex Wurz in in the #7 Toyota TS030 HYBRID, said: "It is dangerous, because you will only get three timed laps, which means you have to take risks in traffic."

Anthony Davidson, who is driving the #8 Toyota, said the new system "diluted the purity of qualifying".

"Qualifying should be you against the track: low fuel, new tyres and, bang, you do your lap," he said. "That's diluted in sportscar racing anyway and this rule dilutes it even further."

Three-time Le Mans 24 Hours class winner Tom Kimber-Smith, who is racing for the Greaves Motorsport Zytek LMP2 team, questioned whether the new system was fan-friendly.

"I was lost looking at the timing screens, so what chance to the fans in the grandstand have?" he argued.

Audi Sport Team Joest technical director Ralf Juttner said he was reserving judgement on the system, because of the changeable conditions during the 20-minute prototype session and because of a glitch with the timing system.

"Because we had tricky conditions, it is difficult to say how it is going to work," he said. "We probably have to wait until we have a normal qualifying to see how it really works."

Some drivers have suggested that an aggregate of two laps times, one set by each driver, would be a better system. Others reckon it would be better if the 20-minute session was cut into two 10-minute segments, one for each driver.

The new system was introduced to make sure that there were cars on track throughout the two 20-minute sessions, one for the prototypes and one for the GT cars.

WEC general manager Gerard Neveu said: "Don't tell me that people would prefer to see no cars out on the track. If it it is difficult to understand, then maybe we will have to simplify it."

The new system will not be used at Le Mans in June.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106743

FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 19s
    Cars leave on formation lap - No 47 Morgan spins

Toyota Hybrid ‏@Toyota_Hybrid 59s
    We're off into first corner in the lead

That Audi is blindingly quick!!

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    That Audi is blindingly quick!!
    They are, good to see after last year.

Audi R18 #2 ‏@AudiR18_2 13s
    Another fastest lap from @AllanMcNish 4 seconds ahead of @AudiR18_1 in P2. @alex_wurz has passed Anthony Davidson in @Toyota_Hybrid for..

Le MansLive Michelin ‏@LeMansLive 59s
    @antdavidson (Toyota n°8) takes the 3rd position

FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 1m
    #7 Toyota of Wurz is falling back maybe has a problem?

FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 1m
    Rain reported on circuit

Le MansLive Michelin ‏@LeMansLive 10s
    Retirement of the Lotus n°32, damage suspension

Toyota Hybrid ‏@Toyota_Hybrid 24s
    Lap 20: car no. 8 P3 +27s, car no. 7 P4 +47s

Thats big gap to the Audis already, i know it 6hrs, but thought they would be running bit closer to the Audis than this. Maybe weather

FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 40s
    #7 Toyota of Wurz into pits #8 Toyota in lead

FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 9s
    #8 Toyota into pits #2 Audi retakes lead.

Audi R18 #2 ‏@AudiR18_2 34s
    @Toyota_Hybrid cars take fuel AND tires. @Audi__Sport R18s took fuel only.

#51 running P2 in GTE Pro.

Audi 1-2. Toyota 22 seconds behind.

#51 isn't showing up on the timing screen on the WEC website.

Ferrari 3rd and 4th in GTE Pro.

14:11:11 : Toyota's now matching pace of leading Audi's albeit a minute behind

Audi Sport ‏@Audi__Sport 2m
    Lap 44: No.1 pit stop from P2, diesel, tires, @BenoitTreluyer out, Fässler in

Noooooooooo! really unlucky for the #61 Ferrari!!

I'm amazed that Kobi hasn't crashed into anyone!!! :D

FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 38s
    #2 Audi of Loic Duval now leads #1 Audi by 16 secs

It looks to me like we (Ferrari) have lost a bit more to the Astons.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    It looks to me like we (Ferrari) have lost a bit more to the Astons.
    FIA have gave Aston afew performance breaks, gave us smaller tank and bit lighter.