Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161728 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 WEC, IMSA&ELMS News

Ryan Dalziel joins SRT Viper for Le Mans 24 Hours
    By Gary Watkins Friday, February 8th 2013, 12:48 GMT

Sportscar stalwart Ryan Dalziel will race at the Le Mans 24 Hours this year with the SRT Motorsports Viper team.

The US-based Scot, who won the LMP2 class at Le Mans with the Starworks squad last, will race one of the two SRT Viper GTS-Rs in the 24 Hours and at the Sebring and Road Atlanta American Le Mans Series enduros.

He will replace IndyCar champion Ryan Hunter-Reay, who is unavailable for two of the three events.

Dalziel, who is taking part in this week's official ALMS test at Sebring with the SRT team, said: "I am really excited about this opportunity. It was something we started to discuss last year but the timing just didn't work out with my 2012 commitments."

Beth Paretta, the SRT director in charge of motorsport, said: "Ryan Dalziel is an excellent addition to our SRT Motorsports team. He's an accomplished racer and his intensity complements the enthusiasm of our team."

The Viper line-up is unchanged apart from Hunter-Reay's replacement with Dalziel.

Tommy Kendall, Marc Goossens, Kuno Wittmer, Dominik Farnbacher and Jonathan Bomarito will all return to the Riley Technologies-run Viper team, although the final line-ups have yet to be determined.

Dalziel will continue with Starworks P2 in the World Endurance Championship and is scheduled to complete in all the events bar the rounds at Le Mans and Fuji, which clashes with Petit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105496
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Rebellion Racing announces driver line-ups
    Nick Heidfeld (Germany), Neel Jani (Switzerland) and Nicolas Prost (France) will share driving duties at the 12 Hours of Sebring.

Rebellion Racing is pleased to announce their driver line-ups for the 12 Hours of Sebring and the first three rounds of the FIA World Endurance Championship, including the Le Mans 24 Hours.
    The "3N" trio that prevented Audi's clean-sweep in last year’s Le Mans 24 Hours by claiming a fourth place finish, will be reunited in the #12 Lola-Toyota. Nick Heidfeld (Germany), Neel Jani (Switzerland) and Nicolas Prost (France) will share driving duties at the 12 Hours of Sebring.

Neel Jani, Andrea Belicchi and Nicolas Prost celebrate with Rebellion Racing team members
    Photo by: Eric Gilbert
    In the Team’s sister car, the #13 Lola-Toyota, Andrea Belicchi (Italy) will be joined by ELMS LMP2 Champion Mathias Beche (Switzerland) and CongFu Cheng (China), his teammate during last year's FIA WEC 6 Hours of Shanghai win.
    The same Rebellion Racing driver squads will also contest the 6 Hours of Silverstone (UK), 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium) and Le Mans 24 Hours in the FIA World Endurance Championship.
    Rebellion Racing is also pleased to announce that Nick Heidfeld and Neel Jani will lead the team's effort in the American Le Mans Series. After Sebring, they will both experience street racing with the Lola-Toyota LMP1 at Long Beach and enjoy the experience of The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca only a week after racing respectively at Silverstone and Spa !
    ALMS - 12 Hours of Sebring
    March 16
    Lola-Toyota #12 : Nick Heidfeld - Neel Jani - Nicolas Prost
    Lola-Toyota #13 : Andrea Belicchi - Mathias Beche - CongFu Cheng
    FIA WEC - 6 Hours of Silverstone
    April 14
    ALMS - GP of Long Beach
    April 20
    Lola-Toyota #13 : Nick Heidfeld - Neel Jani
    FIA WEC - 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps
    May 4
    ALMS - Monterey
    May 11
    Lola-Toyota #13 : Nick Heidfeld - Neel Jani
    FIA WEC - Le Mans 24 Hours
    June 22/23
    Rebellion Racing

AUDI V TOYOTA - LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE!

11/02/2013 - 16h00

Audi: engineering, experience and innovation. Toyota: ingenuity, technology and performance. This is how the casual observer might sum up the German and Japanese manufacturer entries except that each, and any, of these words could be used to describe both the defending FIA WEC Manufacturers World Champions and the challengers to that title.

In 2012 Audi won five of the eight rounds of the FIA World Endurance Championship, including the jewel in endurance racing’s crown, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Had Toyota Racing been able to debut its TS030 Hybrid before Le Mans, who knows what the outcome of the World Championship would have been? As it was, the Cologne, Germany-based team won 50% of the six races it entered and was biting at Audi’s heels the entire way.

In 2013 Audi Sport Team Joest will be fielding two updated Audi R18 e-tron quattro cars, with a third entry for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the WEC 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps. The No.1 car will, once again, be home to World Champions Marcel Fässler (Switzerland), André Lotterer (Germany) and Benoît Tréluyer (France), while No.2 will benefit from the vastly experienced talents of Le Mans record holder Tom Kristensen (Denmark) and Allan McNish (Great Britain). Joining them for 2013, to replace the recently retired Dindo Capello, will be Loïc Duval (France). The third hybrid-powered entry for the Belgian and French rounds will be driven by Lucas di Grassi (Brazil), Marc Gené (Spain) and Oliver Jarvis (Great Britain).

Toyota Racing has equal skill and expertise available, and all six of its drivers are hungry for their first WEC title. In the No.7 entry will once again be ‘rennen meister’ Alexander Wurz (Austria), Kazuki Nakajima (Japan) and Nicolas Lapierre (France), and they will be joined by former F1 Grand Prix stars Anthony Davidson (Great Britain), Stephane Sarrazin (France) and Sebastien Buemi (Switzerland) in the No.8 TS030 Hybrid.

Audi’s flywheel hybrid system versus Toyota’s supercapacitor hybrid technology; four-wheel drive versus two-wheel; age and strategic superiority versus youth and a thirst for success; German engineering versus Japanese performance. These are some of the duels waiting to be fought in 2013, beginning at Silverstone on 14th April in just 63 days from now.

PRODUCTION OF THE LOTUS T128 IS WELL UNDERWAY

12/02/2013 - 15h49

Lotus releases the first photo of the Lotus T128’s monocoque. The driver cell of the T128 was developed in accordance with the 2014 LMP1 regulations.

Improved safety, visibility and driver comfort have been paramount in the development of the chassis. The T128 provides a better view for the driver from inside the cockpit. An extensive mock-up program has been carried through in order to verify ergonomics and driver accessibility.

Lotus gives a first insight into what to expect from the new sports cars of the 2014 generation. The T128 will run in LMP2 class in the 2013 season.

After a successful first year in FIA WEC, Lotus will compete in LMP2 class with two brand-new Lotus T128 in 2013. The ACO has invited the team to race at the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans. The endurance classic at the Sarthe celebrates its 90th anniversary this year and it will be a great honour for the team to compete with the new black and gold Lotus sports car.

BMW unveils new Z4 GTE American Le Mans contender
    By Gary Watkins Tuesday, February 12th 2013, 16:34 GMT

BMW has unveiled the car that will carry its hopes in the American Le Mans Series from this season.

The Z4 GTE, which was revealed at the Daytona International Speedway on Tuesday, replaces the successful M3 GT that won the ALMS GT class drivers' title in 2011 and manufacturers' crowns in 2010 and '11 with the Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing squad.

The new car has been developed from BMW's successful Z4 GT3 contender at BMW Motorsport in Munich. It tested for the first time in mid-January and will make its race debut at the Sebring 12 Hours ALMS opener next month.

BMW Motorsport boss Jens Marquardt said: "We are setting out on a development year, but are very confident we have once again developed a car that has the potential to win races and titles in the form of the BMW Z4 GTE."

RLL team boss Bobby Rahal added: "Certainly, there will be a development period involved but ultimately I see no reason why we can't be competitive with the great competition that exists in the GT category in the ALMS.

"I think that ultimately we can have success and do much as we did in 2009, the first year of the BMW M3 GT."

BMW and RLL have announced the driver pairings for the ALMS campaign: BMW stalwart Bill Auberlen will be partnered by new factory driver Maxime Martin in the #55 Z4; and Joey Hand and John Edwards will alternate with Dirk Muller in the #56 car.

Jorg Muller and Uwe Alzen will be the third drivers in the two cars for the Sebring and Petit Le Mans enduros.

The Z4 will race on Michelin tyres rather than the Dunlops on which its predecessor ran.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105543

Kamui Kobayashi to test AF Corse Ferrari this week
    By Gary Watkins Monday, February 11th 2013, 15:48 GMT

Formula 1 refugees Kamui Kobayashi and Karun Chandhok are among a raft of new drivers testing for the factory AF Corse Ferrari team in Spain this week.

Kobayashi and Chandhok are taking part in the try-out at the Motorland Aragon circuit along with GP2 race winner Luca Filippi, former Superleague Formula race winner Davide Rigon and Italian Formula 3 driver Brandon Maisano.

Regular AF Corse drivers Gianmaria Bruni and Giancarlo Fisichella are also present for the three-day test, which began on Monday.

AF is understood to have one or two seats available in its second 458 Italia in the GTE Pro class of the World Endurance Championship.

Ferrari factory driver Olivier Beretta was listed in the team's second car when the WEC entry list was unveiled at the start of the month, but the Monegasque will race in the American Le Mans Series with Risi Competizione.

Frenchman Maisano, 19, is part of Ferrari's Driver Academy scheme.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105532

Wow would love too see Kobi racing a 458 in the WEC. Good luck to him.

The Oreca Group is celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2013. For 40 years, Oreca’s passion for motorsports has been expressed in several ways and through different challenges. In that time, they have achieved 350 wins and 40 national and international titles.

40 years of challenges and victories

Through 40 years in motorsport, Oreca won titles in several areas. They won F2 and F3 titles both in France and in Europe, and were also French and European (J-WRC in 2004) Rally Champions. The team’s versatility was further enhanced by winning in the desert, during the Rally of the Pharaohs in 1990 and on ice, when they won the Andros Trophy (1995-96 and 1996-97). They also won the World Touring Car Championship in 2008.

In Sports Car racing, Oreca was also extremely successful. They won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Mazda in 1991 and had unforgettable success with the Chrysler Viper GTS-R, winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the GT2 class in the same year. In 1991 they also won the FIA GT Championship with the Viper. With the Viper, Oreca also won the 24 Hours of Daytona in 2000. In2006, Oreca starting running the Saleen S7R, winning at Spa-Francorchamps the Le Mans race in 2006.

In 2008, Oreca started developing their own Le Mans Prototypes (LMP). They began with the Oreca 01, and after with the FLM09. Initially named Formula Le Mans, the FLM09 has been feeding the American Le Mans Series Prototype Challenge (PC) class.

In these last years, we were also able to see Oreca field customer cars from several manufacturers in the most important world endurance events, such as the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Oreca has already raced with cars from Audi in 2005(Audi R8) and Peugeot in 2010 and 2011 (Peugeot 908 HDi FAP). With the Peugeot 908 they won the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2011.

In 2012, Oreca was selected to run the Toyota TS030 Hybrid LMP1 car, with support from Toyota Motorsport GmbH in the FIA World Endurance Championship. They won with the Toyota at Sao Paulo (6 Hours of Sao Paulo), Fuji (6 Hours of Fuji) and Shanghai (6 Hours of Shanghai).

In motorsport with legendary drivers

Through their presence in motorsport, Oreca had legendary names behind the wheel of their cars. Jacques Laffite, Didier Pironi, René Arnoux, Alain Prost, Yannick Dalmas, Jean Alesi, Jacky Ickx, Hubert Auriol, Yvan Muller, Olivier Beretta, Stéphane Sarrazin, Simon Jean-Joseph, Stéphane Ortelli, Olivier Panis, Nicolas Lapierre and Loic Duval are some of the drivers that have been part of Oreca in 40 years of racing.

“Oreca has grown since the beginning and I didn’t even see time pass,” said Oreca founder and Oreca Group President Hughes de Chaunac. “I never imagined such an adventure when I founded the company 40 years ago, but I consider myself a man of challenges and these challenges allowed Oreca to grow and diversify. With this group motivated, passionate and determined, there are still so many beautiful things to make, so many stories to write.”

Indeed growing and diversifying

Since its start and along with their presence in motorsports, Oreca diversified its activities. Besides Oreca Racing, Oreca Technologies includes a Research & Development department that oversees the production of the Oreca 03, one of the latest projects for LMP2 that is contesting the FIA WEC and ELMS. Oreca-Store has become a leader in multi-channel sales of equipment and accessories dedicated to competition and mechanical leisure. There is also Oreca Events, an event agency in charge of advertising for over 15 brands and manufacturers.

Celebrating their anniversary with special events

In its 40th year of existence, Oreca has prepared several actions with Facebook and some magazines. They will also publish a book about their history that will be available at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

ESM PATRÓN TO COMPETE IN 2013 ALMS P2 CLASS
    STUART, Fla. – February 14, 2013 – Tequila Patrón and Scott Sharp will return to their American Le Mans Series roots in 2013 with Extreme Speed Motorsports set to swap to the P2 prototype class.

Moving into the purpose-built Honda Performance Development ARX-03b prototypes, Extreme Speed Motorsports (ESM) and Tequila Patrón will run for the P2 championship beginning with the 61st Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida next month.

The ESM driver lineup remains the same with Scott Sharp and Johannes van Overbeek co-driving the No. 01 Tequila Patrón racing machine, and Ed Brown and Guy Cosmo in the sister No. 02 Tequila Patrón prototype.

The announcement comes off the heels of ESM’s best season to date where Sharp and van Overbeek finished second in the GT championship in 2012, which included victories at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and Petit Le Mans.

ESM owner/driver Sharp returns to prototype racing where he won the ALMS LMP1 championship in 2009 aboard the Patrón Highcroft Racing Acura ARX-02a prototype with co-driver David Brabham. The pairing also won four times in Acura’s P2 car during the 2008 ALMS season. Sharp’s co-driver van Overbeek is new to the P2 class but has amassed more than 100 ALMS starts and expects to be up to speed quickly in the new black and green racing machine.

Racing in the P2 class will be new to Brown, who eagerly supports Tequila Patrón’s return to prototype sports car racing with the goal of earning podium finishes and setting the foundation for a championship run during the 2014 combined sports car series. Brown will leverage the knowledge of co-driver Cosmo during the 2013 season. Like Sharp, Cosmo is a former P2 race-winner with a 2005 victory in a Mazda-powered prototype.

The 2013 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila begins with the 61st Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida on March 11-16.

Scott Sharp

“I’m very proud that ESM will move to the P2 class, effective immediately. We will have two Honda ARXs for next month’s ALMS season-opener at Sebring.

“We enjoyed our three-year run in the GT class with Ferrari. If the GT class is a strong factory-supported class and you are not a full manufacturer entry, everything falls on the shoulders of the team. As a result, the independent teams are at a serious disadvantage compared to their factory-supported counterparts.

“For ESM to win two races last year, finish second in the GT championship and beat the top factory GT teams in the world is a huge testament to the time, effort, energy and dedication of everyone at ESM and Tequila Patrón.

“Moving to P2 is a new chapter for us at ESM and a homecoming for Tequila Patrón. We feel we have a terrific opportunity to learn and develop the P2 car this year, and that will put us in an ideal position going into the merged season of 2014!

“Even though we are making this change in ALMS competition, ESM will continue our relationship with Ferrari in the GRAND-AM GT class and the Ferrari Challenge.”

Ed Brown

“I’m really looking forward to seeing Tequila Patrón back on a prototype car this season, especially from behind the wheel of one.

“We’re excited for the future. I think the team evolved so quickly in the GT ranks that we did things in the category that we never thought were possible against the factory teams. We just felt like this was the next best step as a team to move forward, race in P2s and really take that forward into the new series next year.

“This is a huge step for me as a driver. I just got out of the car for the first time and I really enjoyed it. There is going to be a little bit of a learning curve on positioning in the car because I’ve never driven a car from the right side, but everything else was there in front of me. I really did enjoy my time in the car this week.

“What I said after the Sebring test about GT podium finishes still stands now that we’re in P2. You should see us on the podium every single race in this class.”

Johannes van Overbeek

“This is the first time I will race prototype machine now that ESM will compete in the P2 class. I’ve raced in a lot of really good GT machinery, but I’ve never been in a purpose-built racing car. I’m anxious and excited for the opportunity.

“This definitely will be an interesting challenge this season as I haven’t had any practical experience in a prototype. I’ve talked to plenty of racers that have driven these types of cars in the past, so I know what to expect. From what I’ve heard, everyone says these HPD ARXs are wonderful to drive. A lot of my former co-drivers have gone on to drive prototype cars with great success, and I expect to add my name to that list of drivers.

“I’m really looking forward to learning something new this season with these cars. I’m up for the challenge. Even though I’ve driven all the tracks we’re going to – with the exception of Austin and many times in a variety of similar cars – all the tracks will drive like new ones tracks based on the performance of the prototype cars. I’m excited for a new challenge and can’t wait to get started.”

Guy Cosmo

“This is a little bit of a homecoming for me. My very first American Le Mans Series race in 2003 was behind the wheel of a LMP1 Riley & Scott prototype. That was the only ALMS race I did that year. Then I returned in 2005 driving a LMP2 entry with the three-rotor Mazda.

“Growing up a go-karter and an open-wheel guy, the prototypes are what I’m most at home in and it is in my blood. Prototype cars are basically open-wheel cars with fenders on them. They are the closest sports car to an open-wheel car that’s out there. I love prototypes, and I’m excited about the opportunity to get back behind the wheel of one.

“A prototype car is more nimble, agile and lightweight. The prototypes are so much more responsive and reactive. Everything happens faster and a bit more effortless. It is a lighter, faster car with more downforce and much faster reaction time.

“As we evolve at ESM, I’m really looking forward to the new challenges racing with Ed in our Tequila Patrón P2 car this season and into 2014.”

STRAKKA RACING LOOKING FOR A STRONG 2013

14/02/2013 - 19h33

One of the two LMP1 privateer teams to enter the 2013 FIA World Endurance Championship is Strakka Racing. The British team recently confirmed that all three of its 2012 drivers, Nick Leventis, Danny Watts and Jonny Kane, would once again be competing together in an updated Honda Performance Development ARX-03c prototype, and has also announced a boost to their engineering team with the arrival of Jay Davenport.

Located at a workshop facility just two kilometres from the Silverstone Grand Prix circuit, Strakka Racing was formed in 2007 with the original aim of providing a platform for 21-year-old Nick Leventis to compete in GT racing. Nick was a respected downhill ski racer when a serious back injury forced him out of the sport he loved so he turned to motorsport to satisfy his competitive edge. The name Strakka comes from Cyprus and is an estate belonging to his grandmother which produces olive oil!

After a successful couple of years on the international stage, Strakka moved into the LMP1 category in 2009 with an entry in the Le Mans Series and the 24 Hours of Le Mans in a Ginetta-Zytek. Leventis and Danny Watts claimed pole position in Spain and a run to 14th in class at the French classic.

A new partnership with Honda Performance Development was formed in 2010 and Strakka entered the Le Mans Series with an LMP2 HPD-Honda, taking pole position in all five rounds and winning the category three times but narrowly missing out on the class Championship title. The highlight was the 24 Hours of Le Mans when Strakka took LMP2 pole and won the class, recording the highest-ever overall finish for an LMP2 chassis – 5th.

Fast forward to 2012 and the introduction of the FIA WEC. Strakka Racing, with its all-British driver line up and proudly sporting the Union Flag on the HPD’s engine ‘fin’, the team ended the year as vice-champions in the FIA Endurance Trophy for Private LMP1 Teams by finishing on the podium in all eight rounds – a great record of reliability and consistency.

Messrs Leventis, Watts and Kane, together with the entire Strakka Racing team, will be hoping for more of those values in 2013 as they prepare to start their assault on the small, but fiercely competitive, LMP1 privateer category.

Lucas Luhr to contest 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours with Jota
    By Stephen D'Albiac Friday, February 15th 2013, 17:32 GMT

Former GT1 world champion Lucas Luhr has joined Jota Sport for the Le Mans 24 Hours.

The 33-year-old German will partner Oliver Turvey and Simon Dolan in the team's LMP2 Zytek-Nissan.

The Jota deal is the third that Luhr has signed in 2013. Earlier this week JRM Racing confirmed that he would partner Peter Dumbreck in its Blancpain Endurance Series Nissan GT-R.

Luhr also announced that he would defend the American Le Mans Series LMP1 title he won last year in Pickett Racing's HPD earlier in the year.

Luhr said: "I am very pleased to be joining Jota Sport for this year's Le Mans 24 Hours.

"They have a proven record in LMP2 and are a very professional team, so I am really looking forward to working alongside Simon and Oliver.

"I have already won the GT class at Le Mans and would definitely like to add an LMP2 victory as well. The category is extremely competitive so it won't be easy, but we will give it our all."

Jota team boss Sam Hignett added: "Lucas completes what is undoubtedly our strongest Le Mans line-up to date.

"Lucas' GT class wins at La Sarthe, coupled with his vast experience of prototype competition, made him the ideal man for the job. We are thrilled to have him on-board.

"The partnership he will form with Oliver and Simon should be formidable and, although the LMP2 field will be extremely competitive, we are definitely targeting victory."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105583

Got another AF Corse press release today. Its an Acrobat file, hope people can read it.
    https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...xoDiDnDZ-qYSsk
    Last edited by Rob; 17th February 2013 at 16:54.

VIDEO: 24 HOURS OF LE MANS 2012 FERRARI
    Relive the victory of the interior of the Ferrari 458 Italia Italian team AF Corse in LM GTE Pro category at the end of the 80th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The winners Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander returned from afar. Rugged trials on Wednesday, their Ferrari 458 Italia was unable to regain the track on Thursday night, just minutes before the end of qualifying. Part of the back of the grid, she led a rebound as impressive as orderly to win in LM GTE Pro. This video provides a real dive in the heart of Le Mans week of AF Corse, with unknown aspects, with the image Silvano Cerruti and Cristiano Carioni respectively physiotherapist and cook the Italian team.

With testimonials drivers Giancarlo Fisichella, Toni Vilander, Gianmaria Bruni, Andrea Bertolini, Frédéric Makowiecki (who took pole position in the category of the Ferrari Luxury French team Racing) and D'Amato Ferrari (owner AF Corse) and Antonio Coletta (manager Corse Clienti, customer competition department of Ferrari).

The 90th anniversary edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans will take place on 22 and 23 June

BMW Motorsport and Michelin join forces in ALMS and 24 Hours of Nürburgring

Michelin will be tire (tyre) partner of BMW Motorsport in 2013, both for the Z4 GTE cars competing in the American Le Mans Series and the works-supported Z4 GT3 cars entering the 24 Hours of Nürburgring. The collaboration between the two brands began with joint testing in January but was only formally announced late last week.

“We are delighted to be working together with Michelin, and are confident our teams running the BMW Z4 GTE and BMW Z4 GT3 will benefit from this iconic company’s motorsport experience and from the renowned quality of its tyres,” said Jens Marquardt, BMW Motorsport Director. “The durability and performance of the tyres plays a crucial role in motorsport. With Michelin at our side as tyre partner, we are excellently positioned in both these areas.”

Michelin will have three different compounds for slicks (hard, intermediate and soft) available for the BMW Z4 GTE in the ALMS, plus a compound for wets from Michelin’s “Ultimate” wet tire (tyre) range.

“In January we began a series of tests that will involve working with BMW Motorsport to identify the operating windows and pressures of our different slicks and also work on the set-up of the new car,” said Serge Grisin, manager of Michelin’s racing activities. “We are delighted with the confidence BMW Motorsport has placed in us. Making sure we live up to these expectations is an extra source of motivation for me and my team.”

TOYOTA REVEAL 2013 LMP1 CHALLENGER AT PAUL RICARD

19/02/2013 - 13h00

FIA World Endurance Championship title challengers, Toyota Racing, today unveiled the revised TS030 Hybrid car which will spearhead the team’s quest for victory this season. Following a successful roll-out earlier this month, the team begins the first full test of the 2013-specification TS030 Hybrid at the Paul Ricard track in southern France tomorrow.

After an impressive debut in the WEC in 2012, which included three victories in just six races, the Japanese manufacturer returns with an ambition to win both the Le Mans 24 Hours and the WEC title.

Alex Wurz, Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima team up again in the No.7 TS030 Hybrid, while the No.8 will compete outside of Le Mans for the first time with Anthony Davidson, Stéphane Sarrazin, and Sébastien Buemi driving.

The team will again utilise the TOYOTA HYBRID System - Racing powertrain, developed exclusively for motorsport by TOYOTA’s Motor Sport Division in Higashifuji. A unique super capacitor-based hybrid system delivers 300hp of boost automatically, on top of the 530hp generated by a 3.4litre, normally-aspirated V8 petrol engine.

Ahead of a completely new development for 2014 due to regulation changes, TOYOTA’s Motor Sport Division in Higashifuji has fine-tuned this year’s powertrain to improve power, efficiency, management of component usage and reliability.

The race-winning TS030 HYBRID chassis has also been modified for the upcoming season, with increased performance, reliability and serviceability the priorities. TOYOTA Motorsport GmbH (TMG), which designs, builds and operates the TS030 HYBRID, has used its extensive R&D testing facilities and experienced engineers to deliver the next evolution.

A revised aerodynamic package, including an updated monocoque, will deliver improved performance whilst minimising the impact of updated regulations in 2013 which increase the minimum weight for manufacturer LMP1 cars by 15kg.

Yoshiaki Kinoshita, Team President:

What are your feelings ahead of TOYOTA Racing’s second season in WEC? “I am very excited by the new season and I cannot wait for it to start. We achieved more than we expected in 2012 but this only motivates us to push harder and enjoy more success. I am eager to see how the updated TS030 HYBRID performs in race conditions and it’s normal to also be a little tense before a season starts. We are competing against very tough opposition and we knew from the start of this project that we have to perform at our top level to achieve our goals. We believe we have made strong progress with the car but we will not know if it is enough until the chequered flag falls at Le Mans. My dream is to see a TS030 HYBRID crossing the line first.”

Is it realistic to think about the Le Mans and WEC titles? “We took three out of six WEC races in 2012, and led Le Mans as well, so we showed not only potential, but solid results too. As a team we made big progress last year; we are still developing as a team but we can be proud of our hard work and fast learning. I believe it is realistic to target both titles but it will certainly not be easy; clearly we face an extremely strong competitor. It is a big challenge to become number one. We have huge respect for Audi’s achievements and abilities, so we expect an exciting competition in WEC this year.”

Have you enjoyed your return to endurance racing? “Personally I have many memories of endurance racing, particularly of being engine engineer on the TS010 in 1992 when we finished first at Monza and second at Le Mans. So it was good to be back in the world of endurance racing last year. We enjoyed the competition and the atmosphere in the paddock, plus some fantastic race weekends in front of great crowds. I’m looking forward to more of the same this year.”

Pascal Vasselon, Technical Director:

How significant is the update to the TS030 HYBRID? “There is a major regulation change in 2014 so this year’s car has to be an evolution of our initial concept. The obvious target is to fix all the little issues we have found during the last season. The very first one is that the 2012 car, being a laboratory car, was able to accept front and rear hybrid systems, so we have redesigned the monocoque to optimize it without the front motor. Last year’s performance was very satisfying and we felt we ticked most boxes so there has been no concept change, just refinement and optimization of the 2012 car.”

What was the reason to retain all six drivers? “We thoroughly enjoyed working with Alex, Nicolas, Kazuki, Anthony, Stéphane and Sébastien in 2012 and their performances more than justified our choice. Retaining the same drivers was an easy choice. As well as showing impressive speed and great team spirit, they all contributed to developing the car and team during our first season. With a limited testing programme, their experience and dedication was a major factor in helping us win races in our first season of WEC. We cannot imagine a stronger driver line-up with which to approach next season.”

Toyota Racing press release

WOMEN AT LE MANS
    Danica Patrick is thought, others have done!

Danica Patrick will start in pole position for Sunday 500 Miles of Daytona, the NASCAR race queen. The opportunity to remember that women also have their place in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Few people remember, but in 2007, Danica Patrick had thought of starting a career in endurance. The American had also covered twenty laps of Sebring driving the Acura LMP2 Andretti Green Racing. And if the lady resist the charm of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, others have succumbed ...

In 1930, Marguerite and Odette Siko Mareuse were the first women to compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans race that ended in 7th place at the wheel of a Bugatti Type 40. Since then, 56 women were enrolled in the trial, the latest, Keiko Ihara, having unfortunately taken part in the 2012 edition after abandoning his early prototype. In 2010, a 100% female (and 100% Swiss) consisting of Rahel Frey, Cyndie Allemann and Natacha Gachnang also had to give up (mechanical failure). The last mentioned could return this year, his team Racing Morand listed as an alternate on the list of competitors invited.

Women invited to the 24 Hours of Le Mans
    • 56 since 1930.
    • 10 in 1935.
    • No between 1951 and 1971.
    • The best: Odette Siko, 4th in 1932.
    • The most assiduous Annie Charlotte Verney, 10 participations.

At an exclusive pre-season test session at Portimão, Portugal, Aston Martin Racing tested the new 2013 Vantage GTE ahead of its campaign in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC).

Long-standing factory drivers Darren Turner (GB) and Stefan Mücke (D) attended the two-day test session, while new signings Bruno Senna (BR), Rob Bell (GB) and Frédéric Makowiecki (FR) sampled the V8-powered racer for the first time.

John Gaw, Aston Martin Racing team principal: “Despite the weather being wetter than expected, this didn’t hamper our test session. In fact, it worked out well because all the drivers drove in wet, damp and dry conditions and, in the end, we actually complete more kilometres over the two days than we had initially planned. The car has started this year like it finished last with great pace and reliability; although, of course, we don’t know how much our competitors have also improved during the winter.

“Importantly, all the drivers gelled and were close on lap-times – it’s an excellent start to the team’s working relationship – and we exceeded our ambitions for the first test session.”

Darren Turner: “We’ve had a really good test. Although this isn’t the first time we have run the new Vantage GTE it’s the first time we’ve been able to run it in anger and put some serious mileage on the car. It does feel like a very good step forward. The team has done a great job over the winter and made some significant improvements. For me personally, it was probably as exciting to drive for the first time as the first drive of the DBR9. I have a really good feeling about the car and I’m looking forward to the next test in Atlanta in a few weeks time.

“Last year we only had one car in WEC and this year we have two Pro cars and two Am cars so at the test we had some new faces with the team. I’ve been team mates with Rob Bell before so I know how handy he is behind the wheel and what a team player he is. It’s the first time I’ve worked with Freddy but I’ve raced against him many times and always enjoyed our battles.

“Bruno certainly had a baptism of fire as his first run in a GT car was in the dark and the rain but he did amazing job and I was surprised at how quickly he adapted to the car. Although the final member of our squad - Peter Dumbreck - wasn’t at the test it’s good that this bunch of drivers is working well together; there’s a great atmosphere in the team.”

Stefan Mücke: “It was a good two days testing. We put a lot on mileage on the new parts without any problems, which was a priority of the test. The car felt great straight away and you can feel the positive improvements the team has made to it. I'm sure that we will have a great race-winning car this year and I’m looking forward to the first race. Thanks to the team for its hard work over the winter.”

Rob Bell: “I’ve driven the Vantage GTE before - back in 2010 - but the car I drove this weekend was much different. We got the mileage that we were hoping to get and it was a fantastic opportunity for me to get to know everyone. I’ve driven with Darren before and I know Stefan and Fred, but the more time I can spend with them all, the better. I’m only racing at the Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps and the 24 Hours of Le Mans with the team, so time like this is priceless. My desire to drive for Aston Martin Racing this year stemmed from an ambition to win Le Mans and after this weekend I’m feeling confident.

Bruno Senna: “I’m pleased with the way things went in Portimão. The rain prevented us from running as much as we expected on Sunday, but at night at least I was able to make some mileage on wet tyres. “On Monday the weather was better and, even though the track was still damp in the morning, I could start understanding the car. The Vantage GTE felt good to drive, but is quite different compared to the Formula 1 cars I drove in the recent seasons. You have to brake early and I was very careful, mainly when the track was still wet. “Overall, these were useful days for us. Now I look forward to the second test session at Road Atlanta.”

The #97 car – which shares its bonded aluminium chassis and fundamental engine and suspension designs with Aston Martin’s V8 Vantage road car – will now head to Road Atlanta, Georgia, for a further test session where it will be joined by a second #007 Vantage GTE and drivers Paul Dalla Lana (CA), Pedro Lamy (PT) and Billy Johnson (US). American driver Dane Cameron will also test with the team.

Following the test session, both cars will head to the 12 Hours of Sebring, Florida, on March 16 where the #97 will make its competitive debut. The FIA WEC gets underway the following month at the 6 Hours of Silverstone, Northamptonshire, with Aston Martin Racing set to field a strong four-car entry.

Porsche 991 GTE in testing: Photos

Hot of the press from testing at Sebring today, high quality images of the brand new Porsche 991 GTE from Nick Busato.

The car, which will make its debut in the 2013 season with a full World Endurance Championship GTE Pro campaign in the hands of a fully fledged works team, is a totally fresh design. Based on the new shape ’991′ 911, it is running at Sebring as part of a private test. It is believed that the car will not, however, race at Sebring’s 12 hour enduro.

We’ll be adding more photos throughout the day as we receive them from Nick, who is at the track all day.

The test also sees the first proper public test of the Z4 GTE from BMW. ESM will run their new HPD, Level 5 are expected to be in attendance and Muscle Milk return after their appearance at the official test. Dyson Racing will turn laps, as will a number of GTC class cars including Dempsey Del Piero’s new cars.

THE RISE AND RISE OF LMP2

21/02/2013 - 12h53

One of the great success stories for the inaugural season of the FIA World Endurance Championship was the LMP2 category, and it promises to be just as exciting in 2013. With 12 cars registered for the full season we can expect great racing, close contests and the odd surprise or two.

The FIA and the ACO have worked hard in formulating the technical and sporting regulations for 2013 and beyond to keep LMP2 as a cost-capped formula. The class is aimed at privateer teams with the emphasis being on reliability, safety and a low maintenance cost. At least one of the driver line-up has to be Silver or Bronze-rated, and this allows many of the gentlemen team owners within the category the opportunity to drive alongside and against professional drivers in this top-level Championship.

LMP2 is the most diverse of all the categories in terms of equipment, and seven different chassis-engine combinations will be fighting it out, including that of 2012 FIA Endurance Trophy winner Starworks Motorsport. The American team will be defending its title with its HPD ARX 03b-Honda and the Japanese engine supplier can expect tough opposition from, among others, Nissan. Three-quarters of the 12 LMP2 cars will be Nissan-powered, the manufacturer enjoying a period of numeric domination in the category. Newcomer to the WEC, HVM Status GP, will field a British-built Judd engine, while Lotus LMP2 will once again be returning with two Lotus T128 models.

French company Oreca, whose parent group is celebrating 40 years in motorsport in 2013, provides chassis for the British Delta-ADR team, the Russian-entered G-Drive Racing and Argentine-registered Pecom Racing, while Jacques Nicolet’s Oak Racing will once again field two Morgan-Nissans. Greaves Motorsport has the sole Zytek chassis in the full season line up, and Gulf Racing Middle East and HVM Status GP have shown great loyalty in sticking with the Lola brand which went through troubled times in 2012.

Easily identified to spectators by white numbers on a blue background on these 900kg prototypes, the LMP2 class entry boasts many experienced teams and drivers, reliable and nimble chassis with engines producing enough power to guarantee competitive performances. Who will lay claim to the 2013 FIA Endurance Trophy for LMP2 teams at the end of the season? The guessing game is on!

VIDEO: MARCEL FÄSSLER AT THE WHEEL OF THE AUDI E-TRON QUATTRO R18
    First Swiss driver Le Mans winner Marcel Fässler has the cockpit of the Audi e-tron quattro R18, with whom he won the 2012 24 Hours and the World Endurance Championship FIA.

The 991 is a beauty...GT classes look 2 b great this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    The 991 is a beauty...GT classes look 2 b great this year...
    GT going to amazing, again, this year. 991, just looks like any other of its relatives.

Anthony Davidson: “Silverstone will be my first challenge of the season”

FEBRUARY 25, 2013

Anthony Davidson was looking forward to jump in his car again for the TOYOTA Racing endurance test at Paul Ricard in the south of France. Away from the cockpit during eight months after his accident in Le Mans, the British driver is back to full fitness and up to speed.

Your accident during the Le Mans 24 Hour race took you away from driving for a long time and today you’re back on track? How do you feel?

“After eight months away, it was a little bit difficult, but it’s so good to join the team again and to sit behind the wheel. I recovered my overall speed pretty quickly but the challenge is to stay consistent. But everything is going well and good feelings are back!”

Eight months and three wins later, the team seems to have made a big step forward, do you agree with that?

“There’s definitely been a change that I can feel and see. There is a lot more confidence in the team. You just have to see the way people are working with the car; they understand the car a lot better. Things happen a lot faster in the garage than they did last year. Everything is coming together and for me seeing the team in operation after such a long time, there is a big difference. It’s so much slicker than it was and you can see it’s a winning team now. The new version of the car is performing well and feelings were good for all the drivers. A lot of work has been done and everybody is moving in the same direction.”
    What is the target this year?

“We have a double challenge this year, the Le Mans 24 Hour race of course and the World Endurance Championship which will start off with my home race, in Silverstone. Even if Le Mans remains the key race, the WEC is a good opportunity to improve and challenge for the title this year. The first round will take place in Silverstone and for me it’s very important. Last time I raced there I won, it was in 2010. I had to miss the 2011 race because I broke my collar bone during the season and unfortunately I missed the race last year as well. Hopefully we’ll have lots of fans and the weather will be on our side, but it will be great to start there.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    GT going to amazing, again, this year. 991, just looks like any other of its relatives.
    Yes it does, but sleeker, more fluid. From the looks of Daytona though, the Audi's r fast
    and reliable.

Sports Car Storylines Fill Sebring Entry List
    42 cars for 2013 ALMS season-opening round

BRASELTON, Ga. – For the 61st time in its history, a group of the world’s best sports car manufacturers and teams are gearing up to tackle one of the toughest challenges in all of endurance racing. The Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida features a 42-car entry with a number of attention-grabbing storylines for the opening round of the 2013 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón:

• A hybrid-powered race car will race at Sebring for the first time. Audi brings two of its factory R18 e-tron quattro prototypes that feature reigning Le Mans 24 Hours winners Marcel Fassler and Benoit Treluyer in one car, and Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish – with 12 Sebring victories between them – in the other.

• The revolutionary DeltaWing will compete in P1 class. With half the weight, half the fuel and half the horsepower of a traditional prototype, the radical race car competes for the first time at the 12 Hours. The DeltaWing finished fifth overall at Petit Le Mans as an unclassified entry to close the 2012 season.
    • The first tussle between Muscle Milk Pickett Racing, Dyson Racing and Rebellion Racing in P1. The three teams will vie for the 2013 class championship.
    • Extreme Speed Motorsports’ debut in P2 with a pair of Honda Performance Development ARX-03b prototypes. Level 5 Motorsports is the defending class and race champion, and is back at Sebring. Greaves Motorsport visits from Europe to challenge the American teams.
    • A battle-royale in GT. Twelve entries from six manufacturers dot the class entry including the racing debut of BMW Team RLL’s two BMW Z4 GTE sports cars. SRT Motorsports marks Viper’s Sebring return with two SRT Viper GTS-Rs – the first Viper factory entry at the 12 Hours since 2000.
    • The first ALMS race for Tristan Nunez, the highly touted rookie for Performance Tech Motorsports in Prototype Challenge. Nunez won the 2012 Cooper Tires Prototype Lights L1 championship, was part of the Team USA Scholarship program, and won the Walter Hayes Trophy grand finale in November.
    • Two high-profile entries into GT Challenge with Porsche 911 GT3 Cup cars – Flying Lizard Motorsports and Dempsey Del Piero Racing. Flying Lizard moves into the class with a championship-winning history in the ALMS’ GT class. Dempsey Del Piero Racing – featuring team co-owner Patrick Dempsey – makes its debut at Sebring with a two-car lineup.

The 61st Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida is set for 10:45 a.m. ET on Saturday, March 16 from Sebring International Raceway. SPEED's live coverage begins at 10:30 a.m. ET.

The Series' website offers additional content such as live in-car cameras, and timing and scoring for all users around the world. Visit ALMS.com for current and future event information including tickets and area accommodations. Follow the Series on Twitter (#ALMS, #Sebring12), Facebook and YouTube.

All this news and build up, getting bit more excited by the day.

Nicolas Lapierre: “We are on the right track!”

FEBRUARY 27, 2013

During the 2012 season, Nicolas Lapierre experienced the top of the podium three times, giving to TOYOTA Racing its first wins in its debut FIA World Endurance Championship season. As a team member since the very first test of the TS030 HYBRID, the French driver will battle again for victories in 2013.

It is sometimes said ‘a year to learn and a year to win’, but the team already had three wins in 2012…
    “The experience gained in 2012 was very positive. Nobody expected such a good level of competitiveness at the end of the season. We learnt a lot. The disappointment remains our Le Mans 24 Hour race, when we had to stop early. But we knew it would not be easy to see the finish line in the first participation with a brand new car.”

New season and new aims? What is your approach of 2013?
    “For 2013, we still have some questions to be solved before Le Mans. This event is very demanding and once again it will not be an easy race. But we’re working hard for it! Concerning the WEC races, we are in a good position. I even think some people may consider us favorites in the six-hour races versus Audi. We enter this new season in a positive mood. We are in February, two months before the first race and we already have a good car, I think, which puts us further ahead than we were at this point last year. For sure there is still much work to be done. If we improved our car, Audi certainly did the same. In any case, we will start the season better prepared and more serene than in 2012 but remaining very humble.”

Starting your second season with TOYOTA Racing, how do you feel in this “young” team?
    “Everything is easier now. When I joined the team, I was far from knowing everyone. We had to learn to work together. It’s a big team and now I feel much more comfortable and better integrated. The team has made positive progress and we feel now a certain kind of solidarity between us, which is quite impressive with so many people from all around the world. Today, clearly, everyone works in the same direction. I started to feel this already at the end of last season. Of course, the good results helped make people felt closer.”

Did the first runs with the updated version of the TS030 HYBRID meet your expectations?
    “We took a step forward. From the first laps the feeling is positive. Last year some questions remained open and some things remained to be solved. But the basic work done on the car was excellent, which allowed us to go deeper into details. Today, we are able to focus on the details and this could make the difference. In the cockpit, for example, the control devices are much easier and the driving position has improved. All these things that may seem to be small details, if you put them together, can make you faster.”

David Brabham gets Sebring 12 Hours seat with Extreme Speed
    By Gary Watkins Friday, March 1st 2013, 16:27 GMT

Sportscar stalwart David Brabham will return to the wheel of an HPD prototype at this month's Sebring 12 Hours with the Extreme Speed Motorsports squad.

The 2009 Le Mans 24 Hours winner, who raced HPD LMP machinery in 2007-10 and '12, will drive ESM's lead ARX-03b P2 together with Scott Sharp and Guy Cosmo in the American Le Mans Series opener on March 16.

Brabham won two ALMS LMP titles with ESM co-owner Sharp driving for the Highcroft Racing team.

"I've been part of the HPD prototype programme from the very beginning, so it is nice to go back," said Brabham. "I have a lot of respect for all the people involved.

"I'm pleased to get the chance to race at least one more time in the ALMS in its last season. The series has been a big part of my career."

Brabham is expecting a close battle between the two ESM HPDs, the pair of identical cars entered by Level 5 and the solo Greaves Motorsport Zytek-Nissan Z11SN.

"It is going to be tough to win," he said. "All the P2s there are going to have a chance to win."

Anthony Lazzaro has been brought in as the third driver for the second ESM car alongside Johannes van Overbeek and team co-owner and sponsor Ed Brown.

ESM, which will run on Michelin tyres, has purchased one new HPD ARX-03b and the car raced by Starworks in the World Endurance Championship last year for its ALMS campaign.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105783

LMGTE PRO: MANUFACTURERS GO HEAD-TO-HEAD.

The LMP1 category, hybrid technology and the super-fast prototypes of Audi, Toyota and their privateer compatriots might take the chequered flag ahead of other entrants, but the racing that takes place behind them is second to none. It electrifies the track and enthrals spectators all over the world.

In 2012 some of the most illustrious names in endurance racing went head-to-head in GT battle in the FIA World Endurance Championship, with Ferrari securing the inaugural LMGTE Manufacturers' World Cup and AF Corse picking up the LMGTE Pro Teams' title.

When the green flag drops on Sunday, 14th April for the 6 Hours of Silverstone, the opening round of the 2013 season, Ferrari, Porsche and Aston Martin will return stronger than ever. Each will be fielding two factory-backed entries in the GTE Pro category, and the battles between them promise to be more exciting and closer than ever.

For over 60 years Ferrari has been at the forefront of GT racing and, with AF Corse, the Italian marque has enjoyed great success in recent years. In 2012, the scarlet 458 Italias were a dominant force but Ferrari – recently named as the world’s most powerful brand – is expecting a far tougher season ahead. AF Corse is the only team within the category to not yet announce its full driver line up.

Battling them every millimetre of the way will be the racing arm of the British manufacturer which is celebrating its centenary in 2013, Aston Martin Racing. The team’s multi-national, star-studded roster of drivers demonstrates its firm intent to race its two Vantage GTE cars to nothing less than championship victory. Aston Martin has been testing hard in preparation for the season and will be looking to open their 2013 with a win on home soil.

Also celebrating an important milestone this year is Porsche. The German manufacturer first produced its über-successful 911 model 50 years ago, and it is 40 years since the introduction of the RSR. While admirably represented by Team Felbermayr-Proton in 2012, Porsche has increased its commitment to the FIA WEC with the entry of the factory squad, Porsche AG Team Manthey, who will run two 911 RSR race cars for an all-star cast of drivers. They too will be seeking championship honours to mark these anniversaries.

Who will win at Silverstone and beyond? There is only one guarantee: fans worldwide and spectators at the races will be the winners as they enjoy a spectacle of racing second to none.

OFFICIAL FIA WEC TESTS OPEN TO PUBLIC ON 30 MARCH

It’s now less than 30 days to go until the official pre-season tests for competitors of the FIA World Endurance Championship, due to take place at the Paul Ricard Circuit, Le Castellet in the south of France.

Testing will take place on 29/30th March and the track will be open to fans for the second of the two days (Saturday, 30th). In order to attend, go to the circuit’s website and register to obtain your invitation which is free of charge.

A good many of the 32 cars entered for the 2013 FIA WEC season will be present and active at the spectacular high-speed test track, and it will allow each of the competitors to see how they measure up against their rivals just weeks before the start of the season at the 6 Hours of Silverstone.

Package for the Ferrari 458 ITALIA (LM GTE Am) of Extreme Speed ​​Motorsports, Aston Martin V8 Vantage (LM GTE Pro) Aston Martin Racing invited to the 24 Hours of Le Mans
    First pass recorded among the 56 competitors invited to the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2013: Ferrari 458 Italia (LM GTE Am) of Extreme Speed ​​Motorsports will not be at the start of this 81st edition. As a reminder, this competitor had been appointed by the American Le Mans Series to receive an invitation to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in one of two categories GTE of his choice.

Under the ACO regulations, the place left vacant by the Ferrari back to the first car on the reserve list of competitors LM GTE guests.

Consequently, the Aston Martin Vantage V8 of Aston Martin Racing includes the list of competitors invited to take part in the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2013.

Accordance with Regulation sportsmanship, Sports Committee of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest has agreed to Aston Martin Racing to change the category of car No. 98. It passes the GTE GTE Pro Am.

Thus the LM GTE Pro from 11 to 12 cars. 3 cars are now included on the reserve list GTE.