Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2013 MotoGP Thread

2013 MotoGP Thread

Ok, so who wants to keep this thread updated (season dates, tests, races)?

Rossi looking really fast on the Yamaha, right?

How does Ducati look? Hayden and who???

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Lap times drop as Pedrosa leaves Sepang on a high

Sepang Official MotoGP Test - Day 3 Highlights
    Thursday, 7 February 2013

Repsol Honda Team’s Dani Pedrosa heads into the two-week break as the man to beat after ending the final day of the Sepang test on top, as riders across the field dropped their laps times once more.
    Pedrosa’s teammate Marc Márquez gave everyone a scare in the morning as he crashed in the final turn at speed, although he walked away unscathed and could continue his work on his second bike. A record lap set by Pedrosa of 2:00’100 was not beaten all day, as Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jorge Lorenzo ended just over three tenths off, himself focussing on a race simulation later in the day.

His teammate Valentino Rossi also showed that he could get below the 2:01 mark, leaving it until just before lunch to post his fastest time that saw him end the day in third behind his teammate. Márquez, despite going quicker again today, was this time unable to finish in the top three as he put in a lengthy run at the end, yet stayed a close fourth, challenged by the impressive Cal Crutchlow, the last rider below the 2:01 mark, on his 2012 Monster Yamaha Tech 3 machine.

LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl just missed out on that feat with a time of 2.01’003, although the German looked on good form as he went quicker once more on his RC213V. Go & Fun Honda Gresini’s Álvaro Bautista improved over yesterday’s time, getting more dialled in to the bike’s geometry and Showa suspension, with Tech 3 rookie Bradley Smith continuing his steep, but progressive, learning curve in eighth. Smith also undertook a race simulation early in the day before setting his best time.

The Ducati Team will be buoyed by progress, with Nicky Hayden gaining over a second over the three days, as he ended the day in ninth, with teammate Andrea Dovizioso less than a hundredth behind. Yamaha test rider Katsuyuki Nakasuga was the first outside of the top ten, in front of Power Electronics Aspar’s Aleix Espargaró, who put in a tremendous effort to place his CRT 12th, and just over 2.5s off the top. He ousted Pramac Team’s Italian rookie Andrea Iannone into 13th, who was without teammate Ben Spies today, as the Texan decided to sit it out and let his shoulder recuperate before the second Sepang test. He finished the overall standings in 15th.

HRC test rider Kosuke Akiyoshi headed Paul Bird Motorsport’s Michael Laverty, who has improved by nearly 3s over the three days on his MotoGP™ debut. He beat established Aspar rider Randy de Puniet, who finished ahead of Yamaha test rider Wataru Yoshikawa, Avintia Blusens’ Héctor Barberá and HRC test rider Takumi Takahashi. Came IodaRacing Project’s Danilo Petrucci ended the day in 20th, in front of Cardion AB Motoracing’s Karel Abraham, Avintia’s Hiroshi Aoyama, NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Claudio Corti and Ioda’s Lukas Pesek. Rounding out the back of the grid are PBM’s Yonny Hernandez, trying to fix chatter issues, as well as NGM’s Colin Edwards and Gresini’s Bryan Staring.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/L...0on%20a%20high
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post

How does Ducati look? Hayden and who???
    Dovi.

Pedrosa and Lorenzo both look strong - Marquez debut was extremely impressive. He looks super quick. Rossi is back, though slightly off the pace (not by much). He said he was happy with the test and the bike is to his liking; finally.

2013 MotoGP Thread

Championship will be a three way battle..
    Lor, Ped, Ros.. Consistency will be the key here & hence, Lorenzo looks good for another title

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    Dovi.
    Grazie.

Will be rooting for Ducati and boys and.......Rossi (the fricking interista )

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Grazie.

Will be rooting for Ducati and boys and.......Rossi (the fricking interista )
    I thought you said we went for Inter?

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    I thought you said we went for Inter?

Which is why he's a fricking interista

Will support him while holding my nose

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Think having Rossi back on a Yam, will be very interesting indeed. Wonder how long it will be until that wall is back up in the garage betweem himself and Lorenzo?

Valentino Rossi 'born again' after Sepang MotoGP test

Friday, February 15th 2013, 17:04 GMT

Valentino Rossi believes his form in the opening MotoGP test of 2013 proves he is still a top rider even if his past advantages have gradually been eroded.

After suffering the first two win-less seasons of his premier class career with Ducati, his switch back to Yamaha produced an instant jump up the timesheets at Sepang in early February.

Rossi said he felt revitalised by his return to the top of the timesheets.

"I'm relieved [and] very happy with the way the first test [went]," he told Motosprint.

"I said I wanted to understand if I'm still a top rider. I had my own doubts too.

"I'm there already, with the strongest riders in the world, the ones at the top of their careers.

"I feel I'm born again. I'm not far off."

The 33-year-old admitted however that he no longer enjoyed an advantage over the rest of the field in terms of race preparation and strategy.

"The race, side-by-side fighting, has always been one of my strong points. Unfortunately however, due to the way MotoGP has gone, this is less and less important compared to some time ago," he explained.

"There is almost no more strategy involved, but just pure speed. [Previously] you could win races despite being perhaps a bit slower than your rival: there was more room to invent something.

"Let's say that it's an advantage I used to have in the past that has become a lot less important now.

"I've [also] taught a lot to the riders who have come after me [to] take care of every detail in order to arrive at the race in the best possible condition.

"So, the end result is that I don't even have that advantage anymore."

Rossi has 'lost nothing'

While he admitted to losing some of his past primacy, Rossi insisted that he had surrendered none of his pace or bravado through age.

Asked whether entering his 30s had dimmed any of his faculties, he replied: "I read somewhere that 'experience' is the name one gives to his own errors. It's a nice sentence, and it's very true.

"You don't lose much in terms of not being aggressive, or not being able to ride at the limit anymore because of fear.

"You try to risk a bit less at difficult times, for example when it starts to rain and you're on slicks. Here the recklessness of a youngster who has never crashed seriously offers an advantage.

"Having gone through that and crashed in those conditions, perhaps only unconsciously I remember that and my brain tells me to be careful.

"Maybe that's what you lose but, as for the rest, in my opinion I've lost nothing."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105581

A sad (to me) commentary on how awful the Ducati was.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

It is a shame and sad to see that the Duc is a dog of a bike. Proves to what Stoner done to win the title on that bike.

Moto GP needs this, Vale back up front winning. He can take the title this year.

Sepang test time (28.02.2013)

1. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 2m 0.562s (Lap 41/57)
    2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 2m 0.643s (54/54)
    3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory (YZR-M1) 2m 0.992s (23/56)
    4. Valentino Rossi ITA Yamaha Factory (YZR-M1) 2m 1.062s (60/61)
    5. Alvaro Bautista ESP Honda Gresini (RC213V) 2m 1.078s (13/43)
    6. Cal Crutchlow GBR Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 1.094s (57/59)
    7. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda (RC213V) 2m 1.309s (7/46)
    8. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP13) 2m 1.650s (35/44)
    9. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team (GP13) 2m 2.070s (23/53)
    10. Bradley Smith GBR Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 2.314s (46/64)
    11. Andrea Iannone ITA Pramac Racing (GP13) 2m 2.566s (46/52)
    12. Michele Pirro ITA Ducati Test Rider (GP13) 2m 2.773s (36/38)
    13. Randy De Puniet FRA Aspar (ART CRT) 2m 2.863s (44/45)
    14. Ben Spies USA Pramac Racing (GP13) 2m 3.055s (31/33)
    15. Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) 2m 3.154s (24/32)
    16. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 2m 3.155s (37/42)
    17. Wataru Yoshikawa JPN Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) 2m 3.257s (22/26)
    18. Aleix Espargaro ESP Aspar (ART CRT) 2m 3.423s (18/45)
    19. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB (ART CRT) 2m 4.066s (33/57)
    20. Colin Edwards USA Forward Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 2m 4.102s (21/42)
    21. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Avintia (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 2m 4.512s (15/51)
    22. Michael Laverty GBR Paul Bird Motorsport (PBM CRT)* 2m 4.546s (21/24)
    23. Lukas Pesek CZE IodaRacing (Suter-BMW CRT)* 2m 4.674s (32/33)
    24. Danilo Petrucci ITA IodaRacing (Suter-BMW CRT)* 2m 4.686s (18/36)
    25. Claudio Corti ITA Forward Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 2m 4.718s (48/51)
    26. Yonny Hernandez COL Paul Bird Motorsport (ART CRT) 2m 4.722s (46/47)
    27. Takumi Takahashi JPN Honda Test Rider (RC213V) 2m 4.749s (63/65)
    28. Bryan Staring AUS Honda Gresini (FTR-Honda CRT) 2m 5.313s (15/40)

Filippo Preziosi resigns from Ducati

Filippo Preziosi has resigned from Ducati before he was due to start his new position at the team, citing poor health. New Ducati owners Audi elected to replace him with Bernhard Gobmeier, former director of BMW's World Superbike programme, in November last year.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105763

Well something had to happen.

Wait. Audi owns Ducati?

Well, I can now "tifare" riders only.

Go Rossi!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I may just make it out to Laguna Seca in July.

US Members: who carries the races, now that SPEED is kaput?

Anybody have a forum badge (same size as my Juve and Habs ones) of Rossi's current helmet?
    Last edited by Tifoso; 1st March 2013 at 21:24.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

A pic of his 1st MotoGP championship helmet would do, as well.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Here Lou mi amico, got these two. Hope they ok...

got smaller one of the donkey design..

Rossi: "Maximum effort required to beat rivals"

Raft of small problems hinder Rossi progress

Valentino Rossi was cheerful following Thursday’s final day of testing in Malaysia, but admits that beating his rivals will be no easy feat in 2013. The nine-time world champion ends this week’s proceedings fifth overall, behind Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Cal Crutchlow as well as Repsol Honda Team and his teammate.
    Teammate Jorge Lorenzo led the way with his personal best ever lap of Sepang. Rossi’s quickest tour came in the form of 2’01.062, which is some three quarters of a second slower than the Spaniard.

“The balance is not so bad but we were struggling a bit more in comparison with the first two days,” Rossi told motogp.com during a video interview. “We were a bit unlucky today, encountering lots of small problems with the bike which slowed our work down. Anyway, in the end I was able to improve my lap time and stay fourth - and not so far from Jorge.”

When sizing up the competition for the season ahead, Rossi added:

“We already know that the Hondas are very fast – both of them – and that Lorenzo is very impressive. To fight with those three guys, we need to put in maximum effort and maybe more.”

Lorenzo can perhaps relax a little more, having this week beaten the official Sepang lap record despite not moving inside of Dani Pedrosa’s lap of 2’00.100, which came at the earlier Malaysian test three weeks ago. However Lorenzo is pleased that his first race simulation run of 2013 is now in the bag.

“Finally we were able to complete a race simulation,” he began. “It was much harder (than usual) because we did it at the hottest point of the day, so it was physically difficult and I didn’t have a great feeling from the front end. So the lap times during that run were not as good as I expected but, with the problems we had, it wasn’t so bad.”

This year Lorenzo is aiming for not only a third premier class crown but a first consecutive title win, having notched up his previous pair in 2010 and 2012.

Thanks mate!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Rob, you wouldn't happen to have one of the current helmet? (Unless that is the current one , but I thought that the current has lime green highlights??? )

It appears that FOX is carrying this, BTW. US channel, anybody?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Rob, you wouldn't happen to have one of the current helmet? (Unless that is the current one , but I thought that the current has lime green highlights??? )

It appears that FOX is carrying this, BTW. US channel, anybody?
    will look around and try to find it for you Lou

Thanks mate

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    got smaller one of the donkey design..
    Use the Donkey one...

Was a big MotoGP fan, but have found myself losing interest, with the loss of Sic I felt it became a tad processional and predictable...
    Faily close quali, lights out and another lightning start from Pedrosa who fades or falls off and gets injured, Stoner doesn't feel well again so not on it 100%, Rossi challenging for 7th with Cal Cruthlow (so everyone goes mad) and Lorenzo wins again...
    Other than a few races that could describe last season...
    Always been Rossi fan but still really disappointed with his Ducati adventure, he should apologise and give them their money back...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Use the Donkey one...

Was a big MotoGP fan, but have found myself losing interest, with the loss of Sic I felt it became a tad processional and predictable...
    Faily close quali, lights out and another lightning start from Pedrosa who fades or falls off and gets injured, Stoner doesn't feel well again so not on it 100%, Rossi challenging for 7th with Cal Cruthlow (so everyone goes mad) and Lorenzo wins again...
    Other than a few races that could describe last season...
    Always been Rossi fan but still really disappointed with his Ducati adventure, he should apologise and give them their money back...
    Agree absolutely. Just goes to show you that with few exceptions (Schumi, Alonso-almost), it is usually the bloke with the best car/bike that wins.

Maybe cycling (hopefully they've cleaned their house up)....

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Agree absolutely. Just goes to show you that with few exceptions (Schumi, Alonso-almost), it is usually the bloke with the best car/bike that wins.

Maybe cycling (hopefully they've cleaned their house up)....
    He gave it the "big'un" went he went there, he and Jeremy Burgess claimed Rossi himself can make half a sec a lap etc, etc, but he failed miserably, I really believed he could have got the job done at Ducati, especially as Audi is now the driving force behind the brand, Audi don't fail at anything they set their sights on, there is no other company more likely to succeed, yet he went for the easy option and the short term fix, I think he's damaged his status by doing that far more than Schumi has tarnished his by coming back, he's demonstrated he's not the man he pretends to be...

Still a Rossi fan, but will be spending more time cheering on Dovi this season than Rossi, feel he just let everyone (including himself) down...

So disappointed...

Enjoyed reading this earlier (and I have to say I am more excited about Lorenzo vs Pedrosa this year than Vale's return to Yamaha) -

http://www.motomatters.com/blog/2013...ssey_dona.html

The Losail Circuit in Qatar is the largest floodlit sporting venue on the planet. The lighting system includes over 1000 structures, 3 million kilos of concrete, and 500 kilometres of wire. The system would power 3000 homes. Three and a half thousand separate light sources produce 450 million lumens of light. On Sunday the 7th of April, those 450 million lumens will bathe one man. Valentino Rossi.

There are others of course, every bit as worthy of the spotlight as Rossi. But people watched Muhammad Ali fights to see Ali, not the guy who was going to beat him. The focus of every spectator at the circuit and every television viewer globally will be on Rossi because, like Ali, the story is utterly compelling.

MotoGP has somehow (more by happy accident than design) contrived to take its staid feature race, replete with little overtaking, few wheelies and certainly no burnouts in these days of limited engine availability, and serve up a season that has the hallmarks of a potential classic.

How we got here is how we got here. A guy retired, another walked away from his team, a bike was uncompetitive, a rookie rule was dropped, a potential champion became injury free, and an angry young man matured into a two-time world champion.

As the cards fell, the deals were done and the seats filled, what emerged was a script which even the most sniffy nosed Hollywood Producer would regard as having too many plot lines and far too much intrigue for any small town mid west audience to follow.

Fortunately this is MotoGP, not Hollywood. Whilst it may be regrettable to some that the series remains Euro centric, the fact is that 2013 may just serve up cinéma vérité of the highest order, with a plot to match the best of Greek mythology.

Valentino Rossi, playing the part of Odysseus returning home battle weary from his travails in the Bolognian wars to reassert his rightful place as King of Ithaca, will take the starring role in the feature presentation.

But this is motorsport, not a movie. It will serve up a happy ending for someone, but just because the audience are rooting for their hero it doesn’t mean they’re going to get the ending they want.

So what are the chances?

One in four. No, make that one in three. Wait. ‘Marquez’. One in four.

Will it be Valentino Rossi? Perhaps.

The perceived wisdom and accumulated knowledge of the MotoGP paddock states that whilst Rossi will be competitive and undoubtedly pick up podiums and the odd win, he won’t challenge for the championship. The reasons: his main competitors, Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa, have grown in the last two years. Both are better, faster, more consistent and mature than they were before. The current bikes require to be ridden with a level of precision at odds with Rossi’s late braking, dive for the apex, sort it out on the exit style. Put simply, the paddock reckons he’ll expend so much energy, both mental and physical, just keeping up with the metronomically fast pace of the other two that his season will consist of coat tail hanging with the odd bit of luck here and there. This could be true.

Paddock wisdom is good, but holds sway only to the end of the pit lane. After that, a race breaks out. There can be no better illustration of the vicissitudes of a season of world championship Grand Prix motorcycle racing than that given by former U.S Secretary of Defense (sic), Donald Rumsfeld (on, admittedly, another topic);

“There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don’t know we don’t know”.

The known knowns are the factory teams of Honda and Yamaha. They possess the fastest, best handling, most technologically advanced machines on the grid. Each will field two. Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi will ride for Yamaha, Dani Pedrosa and Marc Marquez for Honda. One of these four men will be the 2013 MotoGP world champion. Any other scenario is firmly back in the land of our Hollywood producer with the constantly streaming nose and oddly unquenchable thirst.

The known unknowns are that during an 18 race season, stuff happens. In 2012, Jorge Lorenzo unexpectedly met Alvaro Bautista at a turn one apex. He ended up in the gravel, race over, engine blown. At Misano, desperately trying to make up lost time after an altercation with, of all things, a tyre warmer, Dani Pedrosa met a similar fate. These incidents are, however, part and parcel of motorsport. Only the very fortunate make it through a full season without something interrupting a perfect score of finishes. It always happens to someone, it could happen to anyone. Known unknowns.

The unknown unknowns. The thing about the unexpected is its unpredictability, due to the very nature of its unexpectedness. Before a wheel was turned in the 2012 season it was difficult to see anyone other than Casey Stoner winning the title. Lorenzo had a shot, a good one, for sure, but it was Casey’s to lose. The Honda was magnificent and Stoner’s riding imperious. The title was his unless something completely unexpected happened. It did. Chatter. Then a new tyre was introduced, further hampering the Honda. Then, an unforced error from the kind of rider who rarely makes unforced errors resulted in a broken ankle and his championship challenge being over. An unknown unknown.

So where does this leave our returning King?

It leaves him fighting for his crown with not only the current King but also the Crown Prince and the Young Pretender.

The current King has grown in stature since Odysseus departed. No longer a youth, he has matured, learned well and now bestrides his empire exuding the steely confidence of one who knows he is fit to reign.

The Crown Prince has suffered the slings, arrows, and indeed the stuck throttles of battle. His standing in the Royal Court is at an all time high, but he knows he must seize the crown now if it is not to skip a generation.

No mere child or upstart, the Young Pretender has proven himself in battle time and again. He fears no one, for he has never experienced the emotion. His speed, determination, and panache in victory remind Odysseus of his younger self. As well it might, for the Young Pretender has a ruthless streak.

Each of the four protagonists must defeat not only his main foe, but the one on each flank as well, at the same time. Consistency wins championships. In the race for the 2013 MotoGP crown, this will be truer than ever.

At each race there are three podium positions. Ergo, at each race one of the four contenders will be not be on the podium. Satellite riders will take podiums, possibly wins, during the season. At these races, two, conceivably three of the four contenders will be off the podium. Who fails to make the podium, and when, will play a big part. All four contenders will not finish every race. Who, where and crucially, when, this occurs will also have its say in the final outcome. Known unknowns.

Of the four, three have a point to prove. Lorenzo, that he can have Rossi as his team mate and not blink an eye. Pedrosa, that he can be world champion. Rossi, that those who dared question him were wrong. Marquez has no point to prove, merely a destiny to fulfil. And a train of thought which simply does not understand the concept of waiting for a year.

On paper, there are two favourites and two underdogs. But MotoGP races on bitumen, not paper. In the cold light of a race day sunrise there are four riders between which it would be difficult to squeeze a cigarette paper. Each has the both the ability and the equipment under him to take victory on any given day.

Valentino Rossi has a one in four chance of becoming world champion in 2013. No more, no less. Given recent travails, it’s difficult to imagine that he won’t grab those odds tightly with both hands. To win, he will need to shorten them.

Homer’s epic poem ‘The Odyssey’ was written sometime in the 8th century BC. Its hero, Odysseus, returns home not only to reclaim his rightful place as King of Ithaca, but also to be reunited with his one true love. Renowned as a brave and brilliant warrior, Odysseus was given the epithet ‘mētis’ due to his intelligence, adaptability and most of all, his cunning.

Remind you of anyone?

Qatar. April 7th. Bike number 46.
    Forza Jules

I may just make it out to Laguna Seca in July.

US Members: who carries the races, now that SPEED is kaput?

Anybody have a forum badge (same size as my Juve and Habs ones) of Rossi's current helmet?
    Lou,
    Speed TV is not gone, they just lost the F1 coverage. They are scheduled to show Moto GP:

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/moto...-championship/
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times

Quote Originally Posted by raylinds View Post
    Lou,
    Speed TV is not gone, they just lost the F1 coverage. They are scheduled to show Moto GP:

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/moto...-championship/

Ahhh, OK. Thanks Ray!

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/188...e_critics.html

No idea who Suzi Perry is, though

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus