Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Regulations.(engine/aero etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post
    James Allen said:

There are question marks about how potent the Ferrari powertrain will be for 2013. Industry insight puts Mercedes ahead of Renault with Ferrari behind. Allison and his clever aerodynamics may not be enough.

I think he mean 2014.But the most important thing is that where his information is come from?
    The other month Merc had big big media day. They saw the new 1.6engine, and since that day all Media been banging on about their engine. Think its all just PR and media seeing hearing the new engine they have been "brainwashed" that its the best before seeing or hearing ours and Renualts.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

A really good video with some insight about the next years engine, everything surrounding it.

Has Ferrari even worked with turbos since -92 when F-40 was discontinued?
    Because Renault, Merc and Honda defenately have been.. That is a bit worrying, all those manufacturers have good experience with V6 turbos.

Last V6 done by Ferrari was in the 60's..

Perhaps I'm just thinking too much.. Or too little? I'm no engineer.. x)

The more I hear about 2014, the more I cant wait. Everything should change. The pecking order that exists now should change and I think this might help Ferrari.
    The truth is nobody knows who has the best engine until the first race next year.
    What's more important is Newey could very well be toppled from his throne ! I don't think he has designed a turbo chassis before and the 2014 regs goes against most of his ethics and principals. He wont sacrifice space for aero - so the 2014 RB will probably have lots of reliability issues as well their KERS wont work for 3 quarters of the season with the extra heat from the turbo considering all the KERS issues Webber has had. Who knows, might even see Williams make a comback.
    I think the Ferrari turbo motor might actually be pretty good regardless if Ferrari are not a turbo orientated company, in the 80's our motors were actually grunty as all hell, just watch the Ferrari pull away on the straights, but the chassis's weren't that good.

Can't wait! Haha in saying that I'm reminded of the high anticipation on here just before the 2012 season, and the contrast reality that followed. The comments on here after the first race were hilariously priceless. Of course, I hope we never find ourselves in that situation again.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Mercedes reveals sound of its 2014 V6 turbo Formula 1 engine

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109133

Follow the link, animated video of the 2014 engine lapping Monza. Just dosent seem loud enough to me...
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Still sounds good to me.

Not to say i wouldn't love to hear the V12's again.

Like the top comment said, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I hope FIA is happy with it.

The writing was on the wall months ago when it became apparent that Ferrari's 2014 power unit was cheaper than both MB and Renault and yet there was very little interest from customer teams even those with very small budgets.

Such is the importance of the engines from 2014 that even the teams with limited budgets don't want to use the Ferrari units... A worrying sign indeed.

This looks like the beginning of the Merc period of F1.

In addition, pay attention to which teams are pushing for a wider contact patch for the 2014 tires... It is not Ferrari or Renault but rather Merc.
    The only reason for this is that they are generating more power and torque than the other teams and would gain from a larger contact patch from the rear tires.

Hate to say it, but it is all pointing to Merc being the dominant engine and RB trying to maintain their aero dominance to compete against the more powerful Merc unit.

We will be in the wilderness for a few years yet.

@ Ferris,

You have it all wrong. The engine is Noi the issue. It is still the Chassis that makes or breaks an F1 Car! Ferrari will be fine in the engine department! The Chassis is the weak link!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post

We will be in the wilderness for a few years yet.
    Why do you think it will only be for several more years? That's very optimistic. It could be decades. It could be forever. We're doomed. Doomed I tells ya'.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    Why do you think it will only be for several more years? That's very optimistic. It could be decades. It could be forever. We're doomed. Doomed I tells ya'.
    hahaha
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    @ Ferris,

You have it all wrong. The engine is Noi the issue. It is still the Chassis that makes or breaks an F1 Car! Ferrari will be fine in the engine department! The Chassis is the weak link!
    I hope you are right Frank but all the signs and insider info from the paddock suggest that we are the worst in the engine department. No one is beating down our door for our power unit, unlike Merc!

I agree the chassis is still an issue but I think the only way we will have a chance next year is to have a bullet proof power unit (even if not the best in terms of output) and to get the chassis sorted or course with decent.

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    hahaha
    Who knows. Maybe back in the days in1979 tifosi made same jokes, but history tought us that we were all to wait for very long 21 years till next Ferrari WDC.

LdM seems pretty convinced that more emphasis on engines for 2014 will be in favour of Ferrari. So I'd trust him since he must know how good or bad our power unit is right now.

I think the push for Merc unit is due to reliability concerns. Merc has been building powerful turbos in its road cars since ever.

Great vids Izy...I watched both of those races...Germany was Alboreto.
    Berger n Senna..great stuff.

My wild guess (from my arm chair...)
    Ferrari will either be out performed or will have very thirsty engines. Don't forget that they will have all the help they want either from the turbo constructors (IHI?) AND/OR FIAT. FIAT turbos are quite good but thirsty. Even VW have better turbos.

Quote Originally Posted by khizerk View Post
    LdM seems pretty convinced that more emphasis on engines for 2014 will be in favour of Ferrari. So I'd trust him since he must know how good or bad our power unit is right now.
    For Luca's sake I hope he is right. Ferrari are, right now, the 3rd or 4th best team in the aero department. If they can't produce the best engine next year it will be disastrous for them. Sport cars are their bread and butter, if they fail to deliver the best sport's engine, Ferrari's image will suffer a great deal, not just in F1 but in general. LDM has to be concerned about that... Renault and Mercedes are primarily passenger car manufactures. Ferrari can't afford another failure, especially after the less than perfect 5-6 years they've had in F1. LDM can't continue to live in the past and former Ferrari's successes. The present is what counts, and the present isn't exactly bright.

Let's be honest...Ferrari's have always been dependent on producing the best most powerful engines. Since 1950 Ferrari has been defined by its engines. The Scuderia has never won a championship without producing the best engine on the grid. If you don't believe me, look it up.

As for the current car...Merc and Renault have an edge in the engine department. As for 2014??????????

Quote Originally Posted by pericoloso View Post
    For Luca's sake I hope he is right. Ferrari are, right now, the 3rd or 4th best team in the aero department. If they can't produce the best engine next year it will be disastrous for them. Sport cars are their bread and butter, if they fail to deliver the best sport's engine, Ferrari's image will suffer a great deal, not just in F1 but in general. LDM has to be concerned about that... Renault and Mercedes are primarily passenger car manufactures. Ferrari can't afford another failure, especially after the less than perfect 5-6 years they've had in F1. LDM can't continue to live in the past and former Ferrari's successes. The present is what counts, and the present isn't exactly bright.
    In F1 you can never know what will happen next season, so instead of thinking negatively, let's try to stay positive and hope that Ferrari will wipe the floor with everyone next season. I have great faith in Luca Marmorini and his abilities in making superb engines. Let the media hype the merc engines all they want, we'll see...we'll see.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

LDM can't continue to live in the past and former Ferrari's successes. The present is what counts, and the present isn't exactly bright.

Ferrari's legacy is not only it's winning past, but also it's will and determination to stay focused relevant and fight to be the best in F1.

Otherwise we could become another Williams that can only relive the glory days of old.

Turbos are the future, so we better get used to the sound. On track they will sound great, and LOUD.

It's not as dim as you're making it out to be either. Challenging for the WDC in four of the last six years and taking it to the last race on all four occasions isn't too bad in my view.

LOL, LOL, LOL! The 2014' Ferrari F1 Engine will be a fine piece of Engineering! Yes, ther "Hype and Dialog" we are seeing in the Media is the correct noise at this time. Bernie will direct the "Drama" and it will evolve and twist to keep people on the edge of their seats. Bernie knows exactly what to do and will carry on exactly as it needs to in order to generate MONEY!

Exactly. And from purely a marketing standpoint, Luca di Prezzemolo's constant-unbased-in-reality raising of expectations risk making him look like a buffoon. I can live with that, but when his comments risk making Ferrari look like buffoons, it gets my dander up. Shut--up--and--guide.

Great username, BTW

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Sha1 View Post
    It's not as dim as you're making it out to be either. Challenging for the WDC in four of the last six years and taking it to the last race on all four occasions isn't too bad in my view.
    Saying that the last 5-6 years have been less than perfect isn't being "dim". It's a statement of fact. My point is that we can't rely on past successes to carry us to future ones. As a wise man once said "The arrogance of success is to think that what we did yesterday is good enough for tomorrow" LdM needs to lead the team to once again be at the forefront of creativity and innovation. It's as simple as that.

Article from Renault chief saying cars will be quicker next year by 3-4 races in...very confident!! PlEASE PLEASE let us be quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Exactly. And from purely a marketing standpoint, Luca di Prezzemolo's constant-unbased-in-reality raising of expectations risk making him look like a buffoon. I can live with that, but when his comments risk making Ferrari look like buffoons, it gets my dander up. Shut--up--and--guide.

Great username, BTW
    Hey Tifoso, with all due respect, could you please stop calling Luca di Montezemolo with such mocking names? I'm asking nicely. Calling Ferrari's president with such disrespectful names may be okay for you (as I know that you have somekind of personal grudge against him because of something to do with Juventus or whatever), but it offends me as a Ferrari fan and I respect Luca. So please stop mocking him, cause for me mocking Montezemolo is the same as mocking Enzo.

Oh and don't take my comment as in any way offensive towards you, it's just a small grievance.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    Article from Renault chief saying cars will be quicker next year by 3-4 races in...very confident!! PlEASE PLEASE let us be quick!
    The chassis will be more important next year than aero, because these little turbo engines will make lots more torque than the V8s. If the chassis is not up to par the car will not get all that power to the ground on corner exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Hey Tifoso, with all due respect, could you please stop calling Luca di Montezemolo with such mocking names? I'm asking nicely. Calling Ferrari's president with such disrespectful names may be okay for you (as I know that you have somekind of personal grudge against him because of something to do with Juventus or whatever), but it offends me as a Ferrari fan and I respect Luca. So please stop mocking him, cause for me mocking Montezemolo is the same as mocking Enzo.

Oh and don't take my comment as in any way offensive towards you, it's just a small grievance.
    Luca DM is just an employee of Ferrari too. Like they always say, no one is above the team. Which applies to Luca too.