Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252637 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirelli tyre situation - All discussion here

Damn, 1000 km testing specially for Mercedes
    I can't imagine how this could be legal, unless Mercedes used last year's car?

If they used this year's car, that's completely unfair and should be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

Using last years car would be bad aswell. Because they gaining more valuable data on the tyres or even the newer tyres Pirelli bringing to Canada. Its like Lotus, they got small advantage with this years car because Pirelli used their old chassis. Isnt massive advantage but they have better tyres deg than anyone at moment.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

Even last year's car can't be used for testing (should be atleast 2 seasons old). If indeed this test was within the rule book, why would it be kept "secret"?

Hmm, I agree. The fact that they gain extra data that other teams don't have now is really unfair.

Pirelli lately have been making some bad calls. They are going to get criticised again for this as if they haven't had enough criticism for their recent antics. Why keep doing it to face criticism?

I cam hardly believe the other teams didn't know about this. And if they knew, why come out with it just now? Because 2 Mercedes are locking the front row?

They didn't know, but FIA did.

Pirelli tyre situation - All discussion here

Joe Saward: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...-tyre-testing/

It is believed that there was a similar test with Ferrari after Bahrain. There will be other tests as well with other teams as the season progresses but it seems that Red Bull is making a fuss because it was not doing the testing…

it doesn't make sense then that Ferrari would protest
    not gonna change my profile picture

yea i think the fact that it was Mercedes is important

they more than everyone else struggle with tires, and so people might feel they are given preferential treatment

From my viewpoint as long as Mercedes and other teams learn to adapt to tires there is no problem. Because I think it will take them a long time (probably all season) to fix their cars to mange tires better, and not a 2/3 months fix

NOT Pirelli adapting to Red Bull and Mercedes
    "I really don't know what happened" - Lewis Hamilton (frequently)

It is said it was with a 2010 chassis, not 2013 like Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by shamim179 View Post
    Pirelli lately have been making some bad calls. They are going to get criticised again for this as if they haven't had enough criticism for their recent antics. Why keep doing it to face criticism?

Very true. They should have clearly anticipated that not only is this unfair, but also that this is going to end up with team protests. And the big name teams, so this will make the news and once again bad PR for Pirelli.

If the FIA sanctioned this test with a 2013 car, then all the teams should be allowed an equal 1000km test as soon as they want.

This is just disgusting. Why bother watching the races if it's all decided in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    This is just disgusting. Why bother watching the races if it's all decided in advance?
    Good question. Since i'm rarely watching the races anymore i can't answer it though. Maybe there is a secret hope in people that one day, we will be able to see real racing again, if we just wait long enough...after last year i abandoned that hope, but some have more patience than me obviously.

I just don't get why nobody allegedly knew about this when it happened after Barcelona on a track everybody can see and hear and using their actual car with Rosberg and Hamilton driving.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...s-7175250.html

I'd say Red Bull has every reason to be upset.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Perelli have stated in the past that they were surprised by how much downforce the car this season have produced. It seem that they feel it's important to test with a 2013 car so I think that may have been what happened, they got Merc to run their 2013 car which is the problem.

The fact that Red Bull protested it further shows that it may have been a 2013 car. Red Bull isn't going to protest if it isn't against the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Ferrari did a test after Bahrain, but they used tho 2010 car, completely different situaion

The rules state you MUST use a 2010 chassis. So, Merc did get to have 1000 kl testing that none of the other teams
    got to do. It wouldnt surprise me if they do not have high tire degradation anymore. Somethings really fishy here.
    I can see if Pirelli wants to make a safer tire, but then at least 4 teams should have been asked to participate, same track,
    same days. Merc got to do testing on their whole package included 1000kl worth of extra tire data.

All teams should protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    The rules state you MUST use a 2010 chassis. So, Merc did get to have 1000 kl testing that none of the other teams
    got to do. It wouldnt surprise me if they do not have high tire degradation anymore. Somethings really fishy here.
    I can see if Pirelli wants to make a safer tire, but then at least 4 teams should have been asked to participate, same track,
    same days. Merc got to do testing on their whole package included 1000kl worth of extra tire data.

All teams should protest.
    they can use 2011 car as well because rules says that you can test with your car but must be 2 years at least old

The 2011 car is not 2 years old yet.

Now that Lauda and Wolf are there the FIA what them to win and there's some conspiracy in it.

Who's turn will it be next year to be favoured by FIA to win,Lotus,McLaren,Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfsmith View Post
    Who's turn will it be next year to be favoured by FIA to win,Lotus,McLaren,Williams.
    Williams has had rough time and before they start to think about plugging out, maybe FIA will make them feel good
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    It wouldnt surprise me if they do not have high tire degradation anymore.
    Over the course of this weekend, Mercedes has rolled 1400 kilometres on current tyres, tyres that are used to race on at this point in time. Since Australia, that's well over 10000 kilometres of useful, current data. I somehow doubt that Mercedes got any reasonable data out of another 1000, on tyres completely unknown to them.

Also, if this is withing the regulations, what's the big fuss about.

It is not within regulations to test a 2013 car inseason. Otherwise we would have tested the tyres using 2013 car in Bahrain rather than on a 2010 car.

Quote Originally Posted by impactX View Post
    The 2011 car is not 2 years old yet.
    January first 2011 to January first 2013, seems like two years to me.

You cannt use 2011 car either.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

The 2011 car was last raced on 27 November 2011.

And, now? What happens now that the race is over?
    Does the FIA investigate? Does Mercedes lose their points?
    Do they get fined, or a slap on the wrists?

Anybody have any doubt that if it had been Red Bull testing,
    the "rationale" would have been they were magnaminously
    helping Pirelli sort out their "safety" issues with their tires!!