Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Schumacher - Updates and well-wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Lesky View Post

Donīt really know what the fuss is about the helmet camera, what could that possible resolve? I mean there were plenty of eye witnesses as well?
    I would assume that they need every bit of evidence available in the event of an investigation to determine who was at fault/negligible, if anyone.

I feel like I have been holding my breath for the past week.
    Forza Jules

Why is there a prosecutor involved? Who is being prosecuted?
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Why is there a prosecutor involved? Who is being prosecuted?
    I think they're trying to establish exactly what happened because they're unsure of whether appropriate signage was put up to designate a dangerous, off-piste route and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I think they're trying to establish exactly what happened because they're unsure of whether appropriate signage was put up to designate a dangerous, off-piste route and such.
    The health and safety laws in France are a bit different to here (UK), but if the reason you state is true (and I have no reason to believe it's not) then you'll just create an even worse European nanny state, it was an accident, nothing more, Michael is an accomplished skier, he knew full well he was off piste, he wasn't going too fast and I understand he was helping a someone else so I can't believe putting up a sign wouldn't have changed his actions, it is a truly tragic accident, but an accident none the less, can't see there is any blame to associate...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    The health and safety laws in France are a bit different to here (UK), but if the reason you state is true (and I have no reason to believe it's not) then you'll just create an even worse European nanny state, it was an accident, nothing more, Michael is an accomplished skier, he knew full well he was off piste, he wasn't going too fast and I understand he was helping a someone else so I can't believe putting up a sign wouldn't have changed his actions, it is a truly tragic accident, but an accident none the less, can't see there is any blame to associate...
    Perfect.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

TBH I really don't care what happened or how it happened or if anyone was to blame. The most important thing is that Michael recovers and until we know that that is a possibility I can't focus on anything else.

It's time for the media to give the Schumacher's the space they're asking for. Michael and his family will remain in all our thoughts but they deserve their privacy.

Almost all that is said is pure speculation. Even the doctors can't tell how this will evolve, only time will tell.
    I feel sorry for Michael and especially for his wife and children. They are the ones that are really hurting, not the fans. He is a father and a husband and that is much more important than Schumi the champion now.
    I hope the press will do what they asked and leave them in peace.....
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
    It's time for the media to give the Schumacher's the space they're asking for. Michael and his family will remain in all our thoughts but they deserve their privacy.
    That is indeed true, and I wholly agree but in reality that is not going to happen for some time yet, Michael is a 21st century global sporting icon, the press will see to it this story will run and run as long as it can sell papers, a journalist trying to gain access to Michael's room dressed as a priest is just beyond disgusting, and I really feel for Corinna and the Family Schumacher, but the truth is we all read the newspapers and we're all desperate for any news about his condition, this is not justification for their actions or their continued unwelcome presence at the hospital, just the reality of the situation...

I believe the French constitution pretty much guarantees complete freedom of the press, there is very little censorship (with obvious exceptions), I remember there was some talk of amending some French press laws after Princess Diana's death but I think the press were just told that the constant hounding of Diana was unacceptable but nothing actually changed...

Anyone from France who knows the current press laws..?

How is the champ doing ?
    Any recent updates on his health ? (sorry havnt been in touch with the news)

Quote Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
    How is the champ doing ?
    Any recent updates on his health ? (sorry havnt been in touch with the news)
    Schumi remains in induced coma, he has gone through 2 surgeries. Since then, there have not been any major changes in his condition. He's still in the critical zone, but at least it's stable (no changes or getting worse).

Early this week the official statement is that they will no longer be releasing any statement for the time being. So I think we will not hear anything official until there's a change in Schumi condition.

The saying no news is good news but the wait is a very worrying time for all concerned, hope we get some good news soon.

Update on investigation into the accident on sky news now....
    'If drivers criticise me then I've done alot of things the right way' - Michael Schumacher 2006 - Schumi Forever - Forza Ferrari

Prosecutors say they have not yet been able to establish the speed the Formula 1 legend was travelling at when he fell.10:57am UK, Wednesday 08 January 2014
    Michael Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma since December 29

Email
    Prosecutors investigating Michael Schumacher's skiing accident have examined footage from a helmet he was wearing at the time.

Albertville prosecutor Patrick Quincysaid film from the helmet camera was very clear and would be examined by a police expert in mountaineering.

Investigators also said they had established that signage on the slopes was in accordance with regulations, but the area where Schumacher fell was "virgin territory" so was not marked and could be dangerous.

Mr Quincy said the probe would take time to establish whether the area where he was skiing could be classed as an "official piste" in French law.

He said Schumacher was "obviously a very good skier" but had not been able to slow himself down in the rocky area of the slope where he fell.

Describing the sequence of events after the former F1 driver went off-piste, he said: "At one point his skis touch a rock, he loses balance and falls forward and his head hits a rock which is 3.5 metres below.

"The rock he hit is eight metres from the edge of the piste and Mr Schumacher on the ground, inanimate, is nine metres from the edge of the piste. That's the information we have with regard to the inquiry."

Early viewings of the helmet camera footage appear to confirm this sequence of events, he added.

The inquiry has not yet been able to confirm reports that Schumacherwas going to the aid of a family member when he fell or the speed at which he was travelling, Mr Quincy said.

Police chief Stephane Bozon said Schumacher's speed increased when he entered the steeper off-piste section and he had tried to slow down but had difficulty because of the nature of the slope.

Mr Quincy said investigators have also spoken to emergency services and doctors and visited the scene of the accident.

The Albertville prosecutor's office carries out around 50 investigations into serious skiing and climbing accidents every year, he added.

Schumacher was skiing in the French resort Meribelwhen he fell and struck his head on a rock.

The fall left him in a critical condition and he has been in a medically induced coma since December 29.

On Monday, a source said he had made a "slight improvement" but remained in a stable but critical condition.

There was initially speculation that Schumacher was travelling up to 100kph (60mph) when he crashed, after it was revealed his helmet had split on impact.

But subsequent reports suggested he was travelling at a "leisurely pace" of up to 20kph (12mph).

A camera reportedly attached to Schumacher's helmet is being examined in the hope it will reveal more about the circumstances of his accident.

Schumacher, known affectionately as 'Schumi' by fans, is the most successful F1 driver in history, racking up a record 91 race wins.

Sky News.
    'If drivers criticise me then I've done alot of things the right way' - Michael Schumacher 2006 - Schumi Forever - Forza Ferrari

But subsequent reports suggested he was travelling at a "leisurely pace" of up to 20kph (12mph).

Skiing at 20kph certainly cannot bring to helmet crashing on impact. A helmet is supposed to protect you at this speed when falling/hitting a rock, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post

Skiing at 20kph certainly cannot bring to helmet crashing on impact. A helmet is supposed to protect you at this speed when falling/hitting a rock, IMO.
    As I understand it, he was only 9m off piste, travelling (as you say) at approx 12mph, his skis hit a hidden rock and he was catapulted 3.5m head first into another rock, if you catapult something at 12mph, by the time it has travelled 3.5m it is travelling a lot faster than the original 12mph, the fact he hit the first rock was unlucky, but then being catapulted straight into another rock is a complete freak accident...

According to the investigators all the signage was in place and complied with French law, Michael is an intelligent man that made a conscious decision to go 9m off piste and he had an accident, that is it...

I hope the "prosecutors" are only there to investigate what happened and this does not turn into any kind of legal deal. I mean it was an freak accident.

The legal profession will being rubbing there hands with the possibility of making money out of this sad situation.

Firstly like every true fan I scroll this site as soon as I get in from my work in the hope that the news is good and it gives me hope that another day has gone by and still no bad news. I like you all would love to have great news but I sadly feel this may be a date in the future and not something we will see immediately. I totally respect the needs of his family for privacy and although it is hard for us all not to have constant updates (and believe me it is hard) I find comfort in the fact I will respect his close family members needs - he would want and ask us to do that as his fans.

In the meantime again thank you to you all for posting such useful information and keeping me up to date you are the first website I load when I switch my computer on as at the hospital I work I have no access to information and I cannot use my mobile - so thank you fellow fans.

I am sure my prayers and yours will all contain the same message for good news soon so that the healing can begin.

Good night
    "The flowers of victory live in many vases" Michael Schumacher 7 times World Champion

Michael Schumacher - Updates and well-wishes

Quote Originally Posted by mirafiori View Post
    The legal profession will being rubbing there hands with the possibility of making money out of this sad situation.
    How can they? Michael didn't endanger anybody other than himself, so how is it possible for them to make money out of this? Maybe I just do not understand European laws, but I think there will be no legal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
    How can they? Michael didn't endanger anybody other than himself, so how is it possible for them to make money out of this? Maybe I just do not understand European laws, but I think there will be no legal issues.
    Often times out here, when skiers go backcountry or on off piste trails and an avalanche happens, an investigation occurs to determine if they did so willingly or by accident because of inappropriate signage. If they did so willingly, they are often billed for the support services that were needed to find them (eg search and rescue teams, ambulances, helicopters, etc)...

I have a feeling this might be what the investigation is about but was wondering if it was initiated by the Schumacher family.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
    Maybe I was wrong to mention the possibility of legal action in this sad situation, but unfortunately we live in a world where money comes first. Anyway Jacquesvw no need for you to reply to my comment, as I said I was wrong to mention legal action at this time while Michael is in a coma fighting for his life. my thoughts are with his family. Forza Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I hope the "prosecutors" are only there to investigate what happened and this does not turn into any kind of legal deal. I mean it was an freak accident.
    I agree with this. It would be rather pointless to start blaming someone and pointing fingers. It was just a very unfortunate freak accident and nothing more, and starting a witch hunt won't help anyone. All we can do right now is hope and pray that Schumi comes out of this horrible nightmare and makes a full recovery.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    I agree with this. It would be rather pointless to start blaming someone and pointing fingers. It was just a very unfortunate freak accident and nothing more, and starting a witch hunt won't help anyone. All we can do right now is hope and pray that Schumi comes out of this horrible nightmare and makes a full recovery.
    Unfortunately the insurance companies are doing exactly this, because they all want to put the bills on someone else. Also, there are safety questions which need to be answered. As in: what could the organizers have done to prevent such an accident? I read that one of the Schumacher family lawyers said there should have been a fence around the area in question, to prevent the skiiers to go off piste there.

I'm not saying that anyone is to blame, because i don't know. But its normal in such a case that there are investigations, first for safety concerns, and second for who will have to pay the bills.

I was under the impression that Michael had gone to the aid of another skier which is why he was in that off-piste area. The media make up all sorts of stories just to make headlines, a sad reflection of the world today and no consideration for the victim or the family involved.

In the eyes of liability lawyers, there are no accidents. Someone is always responsible. Was the course properly marked? Was Schumi sufficiently warned of the dangers of skiing off-piste? Should his bindings have released sooner to lessen impact? Was he speeding out of control? Did the helmet perform up to regulations, was it worn properly? Was emergency service timely, and appropriate? Was his path disrupted by another skier? If he was disrupted, was it malicious?

This could go on all day. The important thing is that Schumi recover as best he can. I am hopeful that he will make a full recovery. But, we must be realistic, it is very likely that he will be severely impaired. Soon it will be two weeks in a coma, that is a very long time. At this point full recovery would be miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    In the eyes of liability lawyers, there are no accidents. Someone is always responsible. Was the course properly marked? Was Schumi sufficiently warned of the dangers of skiing off-piste? Should his bindings have released sooner to lessen impact? Was he speeding out of control? Did the helmet perform up to regulations, was it worn properly? Was emergency service timely, and appropriate? Was his path disrupted by another skier? If he was disrupted, was it malicious?

This could go on all day. The important thing is that Schumi recover as best he can. I am hopeful that he will make a full recovery. But, we must be realistic, it is very likely that he will be severely impaired. Soon it will be two weeks in a coma, that is a very long time. At this point full recovery would be miraculous.
    I think we shouldn't make any assumptions here. Every case is different. In german news a brain surgeon said its not unusual for an artificial coma to last 2-3 weeks. It all depends on how the situation will develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    I think we shouldn't make any assumptions here. Every case is different. In german news a brain surgeon said its not unusual for an artificial coma to last 2-3 weeks. It all depends on how the situation will develop.
    true it is. my sister's husband fell from 3-rd floor and he had minor head injury, they put him in coma too and he was kept in coma over a week, so no need to worry now, it'll take longer to get news. until he is alive it's okay, let's hope his family - wife, kids, brother, step-brother and father can be in peace
    not gonna change my profile picture

Can only imagine how hard this must be for the family... my thoughts are with them also, as it is the conscious ones looking over that suffer the anguish & uncertainty of waiting, hopefully the doctors have small successes day-to-day to help them stay positive! (Not minimizing Schumi's suffering at all) Hopefully any investigations are respectful of the family members & not needlessly distressing them.

Anyone heard/read that Swiss neuro-surgeons have said Michael was not treated in the right way in Grenoble?
    I read it in a local news site but could not get any verification from other sources.
    Last edited by bonzo; 11th January 2014 at 05:11.