Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Schumacher - Updates and well-wishes

Quote Originally Posted by shamim179 View Post
    This is getting out of hand! So some people have started gossiping and spreading rumours that he has died? How low can some people get?

Situation remains largely unchanged but the positive is that the team think he is ready to be woken up so it's a case of going through the programme and eventually something will work. One can only pray and hope in these situations. It's very important that Sabine visits him on a daily basis and talks to him. She's doing a good job with that so far and that's the most important thing.
    I understood Corinna is bedside talking to him pretty much all day as the doctors have said there is evidence to suggest this can be beneficial in some circumstances, not Sabine...

There is no guarantee that "eventually something will work", although he was conscious immediately after the accident he was in a comatosed state by the time he reached the hospital, in hospital he has been given drugs to induce the coma so he doesn't wake up, but he may have remained in a coma without inducing it, and they may stop the drugs and he will remain in a comatosed state...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    I understood Corinna is bedside talking to him pretty much all day as the doctors have said there is evidence to suggest this can be beneficial in some circumstances, not Sabine...

There is no guarantee that "eventually something will work", although he was conscious immediately after the accident he was in a comatosed state by the time he reached the hospital, in hospital he has been given drugs to induce the coma so he doesn't wake up, but he may have remained in a coma without inducing it, and they may stop the drugs and he will remain in a comatosed state...
    My mistake. Sabine is of course Michael's manager. I meant to say Corinna. I've edited my original post to reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by Module View Post
    I read it as no change and after over 2 weeks of trying to wake up it's bad news. Any news of change, a small reaction or such would have logically been included and should have already emerged.
    Excerpt from Sabine's statement, this is also supported by many doctors in the neurologic field... "We are aware that the wake up phase can take a long time."

This is getting out of hand! So some people have started gossiping and spreading rumours that he has died? How low can some people get?

Situation remains largely unchanged but the positive is that the team think he is ready to be woken up so it's a case of going through the programme and eventually something will work. One can only pray and hope in these situations. It's very important that Sabine visits him on a daily basis and talks to him. She's doing a good job with that so far and that's the most important thing.
    As said by many doctors & brain injury survivors themselves, Michael's brain is "in control" of his treatment path completely at this time, the severity of the injury & the amount of healing to this point come into play as to the manner in which the waking process goes. It seems to me, all that has been decided by the doctors is that he does not need to be in an artificially induced coma anymore as that in itself presents risks to the patient beyond the trauma suffered. The healing & recovery process is a long one, I hope there are positive milestones & am eager to hear this, but will remain patient & positive as long as there is a hope.
    There are many stories of brain trauma patients far exceeding the "official" prognosis given by the attending doctors & we have yet to even get to the point of hearing what this forecast may be in Michael's case. So as they say "hope springs eternal"!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Schumacher still in 'wake up' phase

Michael Schumacher's family say they still "strongly believe" in his recovery despite recent news reports suggesting his health had taken a turn for the worst.

A German tabloid this week reported Schumacher had developed a lung infection, while Bild reported the state of his health is currently "unknown", without quoting sources. Schumacher suffered a severe head injury on December 29 when he fell and hit a rock while skiing in the French alps.

The family confirmed Schumacher is "still in a waking up process" at a Grenoble clinic but did not elaborate on his current condition.

Family spokesperson Sabine Kehm said: ""Michael's family would like to again express their sincere thanks for the continuous sympathy coming from all over the world. The good wishes they receive help the family and, we are convinced they also help Michael, who still is in a waking up process.

"As often in such situation no day is like the next. The family is thankful for one's understanding that they would not wish to disclose medical details in order to protect Michael's privacy. As assured from the beginning we will continue to communicate any decisive new information on Michael's health state. We are aware that the wake up phase can take a long time.

"The family continues to strongly believe in Michael's recovery and place all their trust in the doctors', nurses' and nursing auxiliaries' team. The important thing is not the speed of the recovery but that Michael's heal process progresses in a continuous and controlled way."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/s...FMlPg8gQg1t.99
    Drive it like you stole it!

Schumacher wins fight against pneumonia

Michael Schumacher has won his fight against pneumonia, according to the Bild newspaper.

Earlier, the seven time World Champion’s spokesperson Sabine Kehm played down reports the lung infection had interrupted efforts to wake Schumacher from his long coma.

She said the great German “still is in [the] waking up process”.

Now, Bild says its sources indicate that pneumonia is no longer posing “an acute danger” to the former F1 great’s health.

“Schumacher has already won the fight against pneumonia,” the report claimed.

http://grandprix247.com/2014/02/14/s...nst-pneumonia/
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Lets all just stick to the facts, he has had a massive accident, his brain as sustained what we are led to believe is a massive injury and we know HE IS STILL ALIVE. For me the fact that he is still alive is what I focus on I am really not interested in reading bad news but it is hard with so little news for all of us. On the plus side I was today in a shop and people got to talk about Michaels coma and a man said his daughter sustained a massive injury and nearly died. SHe too had to have several brain operations and was placed into a medical induced comma after 14 days the medics he said decided to withdraw the inducing drugs. I asked if she woke up Oh yes he said but it took 11 weeks. I asked if there had been any long term effects he said it took 2 years for her to regain her life and the only lasting problem she is left with is a weakness on the left side and a quick temper but she has gone on to have two children and lives her life to the full. Maybe we shall all need to learn to be patient and trust and pray and hope and pray and wish and pray
    "The flowers of victory live in many vases" Michael Schumacher 7 times World Champion

Thats good news. Qualifying won!now the main race... Get well soon Michael! You can win this...

I know his management team are under pressure from the media, but it would be nice if they made regular weekly or fortnightly statements, even if its just to say there is nothing to say. This way the speculation from the media would be inhibited as we will know when the next update is. So far it is poor PR having us on tender hooks being put on a roller coaster from media guess work. His family know there is an extended motor sport family who care about him, tell his management to put us in the loop. Get well soon MS, your 92 win is waiting for you.

Get well soon Michael! I too strongly believe that this is where his excellent bodily health and endurance trained prior the accident will pay off big time.

Does raw footage of the accident exist anywhere on the internet? Hate to see the bogus "videos" posted on youtube by douchebags attracting viewers for disappointment and anger. It is utter disrespectfulness to not only the Schumacher family but to all fanbase communities. The near-full dislikes out of all ratings just serves them right.

Any news about Michael's recovery?

No, not really. This will take long, very long and there is no way to predict the outcome.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

New message on Michael's website

We are deeply touched by all the messages to get well soon for Michael which still are being sent from all over the world. This incredible support gives us and him strength. Thank you all so much! We all know, Michael is a fighter and will not give up!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-hospital.html

Felipe Massa said he saw Michael Schumacher's mouth move as he spoke to him in hospital.
    The racing driver said he feels 'very positive' about his friend's condition following a recent visit to the seven-time Formula One champion in hospital.
    When asked about his friend's condition by journalists, Massa replied: 'He was sleeping, and I was very positive because he was normal.
    'He looks normal, and he also gave some reactions with the mouth and everything. So it's positive to look at him.
    'I have no experience to say anything. I'm not a doctor. But when I saw him, for me, it looked very positive.'
    It is almost eight weeks since Schumacher was placed in an induced coma following a skiing accident.
    He required two operations to remove blood clots from his brain following his fall in December.
    Speaking to reporters at the Sakhir circuit, Massa said: 'I always try to be optimistic.
    'I saw him, I talked to him, I told him everything I did in Jerez (at the first test), about my car, the new team (Williams), everything. I told him to wake up many times... I'm positive. We need to believe.
    'It's always very difficult to say because I have zero experience about what the doctors say.
    'But I saw him and was very happy to be together with him for a very long time, talking to him, trying to give the best energy and just help him.
    'He's a very strong man, a very great man and I really hope he can wake up, and I really hope he can enjoy his life again.'
    I think this is the first story from someone who has visited him with any detail. I am not sure what to make of it, at first it sounds good, then the final paragraphs sound like its said more in hope. The road to recovery is going to be a long one but i have hope too

Yes the road to recovery is long but Schumacher's state before the accident gives him an above average chance to recover. He is relatively young, he is mentally very strong and physical fitness is that of a top performing athlete.

I think we should drawer something positive from Massa visiting and his comments. He more than most will have an idea of what family members can go through at this time as well as the fans so I don't believe he would say something so positive unless it was true. Keep fighting Michael my prayers are still with you every day.
    "The flowers of victory live in many vases" Michael Schumacher 7 times World Champion

Unfortunately Bild is reporting that the wake up process had to be stopped and he is in coma for an indefinite time

http://www.bild.de/sport/motorsport/...7714.bild.html
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Module View Post
    Unfortunately Bild is reporting that the wake up process had to be stopped and he is in coma for an indefinite time

http://www.bild.de/sport/motorsport/...7714.bild.html
    not only Bild ... also Focus ... but of course nothing official confirmed ...
    but who knows who is copying who ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Sabine Kehm stated that he's still in the process of waking up, and that it's a long process which led to misinterpretations:

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/fo...-aufwachphase/

Come on Michael, you have always proved the naysayers wrong! You have amazed us with your heroic drives and unfazed determination. You made us to believe, not lose hope, to keep on fighting until the last corner and now we wait patiently for you with the same lessons taught by you.

You are my personal hero Michael and not a day goes by when I don't think of you. Wake up champ! wake up....
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post
    Sabine Kehm stated that he's still in the process of waking up, and that it's a long process which led to misinterpretations:

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/fo...-aufwachphase/
    Good to hear

Looking forward to Schumi waking up and continuing his recovery

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/perplexity/

A FORMER F1 DOC WRITES

Thoughts about motorsport (and maybe other stuff . . .)

Thanks for the quote, difficult to read with the prognosis so up and down, but it is good to have some communication and understanding. I like so many of you feel bereft of news good or bad, if it is good I want to feel uplifted if it is bad I want to feel part of a life that I have shared if somewhat only as a fan for many many years. Please Schumacher press team consider us fans, we do not want to pry, we do not need to know confidential private information but just something even if it is no news he is the same, or he is slightly worse or slightly better would at least stop our own anguish and worry. Make us part of the journey and try not to exclude us. We have travelled in every race that Michael as driven and we were happy to be backseat passengers we are again happy to be backseat passengers but please give us a glimpse of what is happening good or bad. I have been with Michael good and bad and I want to do the same now as I am sure many of you do too. I will keep praying and waiting for Michaels just when we thought he couldn't finish

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/perplexity/

A FORMER F1 DOC WRITES

Thoughts about motorsport (and maybe other stuff . . .)

Bahrain F1 circuit names first corner after Michael Schumacher

Bahrain Grand Prix organisers are to name the Sakhir track's first corner in honour of Michael Schumacher.

The seven-time Formula 1 world champion, who remains in hospital following his skiing accident at the end of last year, won the inaugural Bahrain GP in 2004.

Track chairman Zayed Al Zayani said Schuamcher's family had given the move their blessing.

"With the support of his family, it is a great privilege to be able to honour arguably the greatest racing driver in the history of F1 and someone who the people of Bahrain hold close to their hearts," said Al Zayani.

"From his first appearance at the BIC in 2004, he immediately became an inspiration for all those who love motorsport in the Kingdom and it is therefore natural for us to recognise him in this way.

"The team at the BIC continues to offer Michael and his family its best wishes."

Schumacher advised the team behind the Bahrain GP during the building of the track in the early 2000s, and he also made his return to the sport at the 2010 Bahrain GP after three seasons away.

His manager Sabine Kehm added: "Michael's family would like to thank the Bahrain International Circuit for this gesture, acknowledging Michael's achievements in Formula 1 and interest in the BIC circuit design.

"We take it as a recognition for his passion for motorsport.

"I am convinced Michael will love the idea and feel very honoured about having a BIC corner named after him."

DID YOU KNOW?

Bahrain is not the first active grand prix circuit to name a corner after Michael Schumacher.

The fast left-right Turn 8/9 combination at the Nurburgring, where Schumacher won five grands prix, was renamed the 'Schumacher S' ahead of the 2007 European Grand Prix.

Michael Schumacher has 'blinked' and is 'responding to instructions' - reports
    French newspaper says Formula One champion blinks during the “first stage” of brain tests

Doctors say Michael Schumacher would have died straight away if he had not been wearing a helmet when he had his skiing accident Photo: Alamy
    By Alexandra Williams4:56PM GMT 30 Jan 201480 Comments
    Formula One legend Michael Schumacher is “responding to instructions” as medics gradually bring him out of his coma, according to reports.
    It has also been alleged that the seven-time world champion has blinked during brain tests.
    Citing “very reliable sources”, L’Equipe newspaper said Schumacher has undergone a number of neurological tests since Monday and he has responded “positively”.
    Schumacher, 45, was plunged into an artificial coma after suffering traumatic brain injury in his near-fatal skiing accident on December 29 in the French resort of Meribel. Shutting down function can give the brain time to heal.
    The sports daily revealed on Wednesday that medics had started the process to end his coma by gradually reducing the dosage of powerful anaesthetic drugs being administered.
    Related Articles
    Schumacher being 'woken up' from artificial coma 29 Jan 2014
    Schumacher brought out of his coma 30 Jan 2014
    Red Bull's testing troubles continue 29 Jan 2014
    A rosy day for McLaren in Jerez 30 Jan 2014
    Vettel 'in shock' over Schumi injury 28 Jan 2014
    Mercedes' message to Schumacher 27 Jan 2014
    Join the Hugo Boss Watches H1 Club Hugo Boss
    And on Thursday the newspaper revealed Schumacher had blinked during the “first stage” of brain tests.
    The newspaper’s deputy editor Jérémie Arbona said the publication was “100 per cent sure” that its story was correct.
    The paper wrote: “After gradually reducing the sedation of the patient, the team of Professor Emmanuel Gay [the medic overseeing Schumacher’s treatment] has been doing neurological tests since Monday. During this first stage, the patient blinked.” Sky News quoted sources saying Schumacher was “responding to instructions”.
    It is not known if the information from the two separate reports is linked and therefore whether Schumacher blinked on command.
    But Professor Jean-Luc Truelle, the former head of the neurology department of the Foch hospital in Suresnes, told L’Equipe that once the patient opens their eyes there would be a “re-establishment of some kind of communication, which we verify through simple commands,” such as “open your eyes, shut your eyes, squeeze your hand".
    "Schumacher appears to show this type of reawakening,” wrote L’Equipe.
    The newspaper said it was “undoubtedly the best news” since his accident.
    Earlier in the day, following intense media interest worldwide, Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm was forced to confirm that Schumacher was being brought round from his coma. She had initially responded to the reports by telling fans to treat all unofficial statements as speculation.
    She said: “Michael’s sedation has recently been reduced to initiate a process of awakening which may take a long time.
    “To protect the family, initially it was clearly agreed between all parties only to disclose this medical information once this process was consolidated.
    “The family wishes to express sincere appreciation for the sympathy they have received from around the world.” Schumacher has been receiving round-the-clock care in Grenoble University Hospital.
    Surgeons have performed two operations to relieve pressure on his brain and remove blood clots.
    According to Prof Truelle, the two months following this phase are a period of confusion in which the patient is in a state of “lethargy” and that recovery stage can take “several years in the case of serious head injuries".
    It is possible for someone to spend several weeks in an induced coma and make a full recovery. But Professor Gary Hartstein, Formula One’s chief medic between 2005 and 2012, said: “It is extremely unlikely, and I’d honestly say virtually impossible, that the Michael we knew prior to this fall will ever be back.” Wife Corinna, 44, with whom the champion has two children Gina Marie, 16, and Mick, 14, has remained at his bedside.
    Schumacher had his catastrophic accident in the French ski resort of Meribel, where he owns a chalet.
    Drive it like you stole it!

Maranello, 4 March – Following Michael Schumacher’s skiing accident, there have been a great many messages of affection sent to him. Day after day they arrive from those who shared time and worked with him over the eleven years he drove for Ferrari, as well as from the Ferrari fans from around the world who have always supported him.

Actions, words and thoughts that show just how important Michael is within the very heart of those who love and live for Ferrari and how important a role he has played in the history of the Prancing Horse. We therefore decided to gather together all these messages through the Scuderia’s Twitter and Facebook pages and to publish some of them on a special bulletin board.

Umberto Zapelloni (Journalist,) 4 March
    –Michael, I was there the day of your first Grand Prix, when it only took you a few laps to show the world what a driver you were. I was there at your second GP as well, when you had already changed teams, which caused quite a fuss. I remember at the Monza weekend, when one could still get close to you to ask you a question, I asked you among other things what the brakes were like on your Benetton. You looked me in the eye and replied, “but you already asked me about the brakes, in Spa two weeks ago, wanting to know what was the difference between them on a prototype car and a Formula 1 car.” I was amazed at your powers of memory and not just that. These were the small differences between a champion and a normal human being. Champions remember everything.
    And when they want, talk about everything, from neighbours who become too curious and made you move to Switzerland, or about Gina Maria nappies that you used to change. About how Ferrari had got under your skin and how the pasta fed your stomach…

The numbers say you are the best of all time. I had the good fortune to follow you from the first to the last race, to use a river of ink writing about you, to know and appreciate you and, yes it’s true, on occasion to curse you. Now I feel I must cry out with everyone else, Forza Michael…On the first page of my pink newspaper, I also asked Ferrari to write it on its bodywork. It’s done and the message appears on its website every day. You are in our hearts with your wins and that will never leave us, just as you will not go without waking up and greeting those who love you. Forza Michael, stay with us!
    - See more at: http://formula1.ferrari.com/forzamic....3wgCPQGB.dpuf

Ferrari boss still in shock over Schumacher’s accident

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo told journailsts in Geneva that he is still shocked by the events which have led to Michael Schumacher lying in a coma for over two months.

Speaking in Geneva to the media, Montezemolo said, “Michael was and still is a very important person in my life. From 1996 onwards so many things happened in the lives of both of us and, in the difficult times, Michael was always incredibly close to the team.”

“What’s happened to him was a real shock to me, after all the events we shared and a great affection still remains. Michael at the moment needs that affection and support from everyone,” added Montezemolo.

Schumacher has been in an induced coma in the Grenoble University Hospital, in France, since his accident on 29 December.

http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/05/f...hers-accident/

To be honest, I don't think Michael will ever recover. I just don't believe in miracles that big.
    I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Twitter
    Sabine Khem "Michael is out of danger? We say yes, but his condition is serious and therefore it is difficult to argue that" continue..

Sabine Khem "..all risks are averted. But it is clear that his state is no longer as sensitive as at first, "

Schumacher responded well and now breathe independently, he reacts to stimulation expressing an unconscious grimace of annoyance.

He also reacts waving an arm, sometimes the shoulder, this means he's not paralysed.
    This information comes via a report on Gazzetta Dello Sport. Link - http://www.gazzetta.it/Auto/06-03-20...84605394.shtml

Part of the article is below, the rest is in the paper - excuse the translation

Schumacher breathes alone and can hear "friendly voices"

Quote Originally Posted by Gazzetta Dello Sport
    In addition to family members, hospital alternate Todt and Brawn: so relives the triumphs Ferrari. Corinna And whispering in his ear. All in a sacred intimacy.

The news leaked that are difficult to decipher, because the sources are never safe. Lack direct evidence of non-partisan. And Sabine Kehm, Schumacher's manager who has appeared for some time at the Geneva Motor Show, entertains along with Montezemolo, was not generous with news, probably because there are not any news. "Michael is out of danger? Say yes, but his condition is serious and therefore it is difficult to argue that all risks are averted. But it is clear that his state is no longer as sensitive as at first," said Sabine .

MYSTERY - So how Michael Schumacher is really tremendous bang to nine weeks of skiing on the slopes of Meribel, when in a short off-piste straddled on a rock outcropping and went to slam his head against a rock, bringing fractures cranial hematoma and to cause concern immediately to his condition? When he was transported to hospital in Grenoble, where there is an excellent center for neurosurgery, had to undergo an immediate intervention and family members were immediately informed that Michael could have had a few hours of life. Tears, tears, despair, eyes unfocused. And supplications to the doctors to do the impossible to avert a terrible verdict.
    Sabine Kehm has now put out a statement saying

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine Kehm
    Michael is still in the wake up phase. The situaton has not changed. Any medical information published which is not confirmed by the team of doctors treating Michael or his management has to be considered as not valid.
    Crucially, she did not directly refute anything.

Now, James Allen has posted on the subject and believes the information from Gazzetta and Alievi is reliable.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/03/michael-schumacher-breathing-by-himself-todt-speaking-to-him-in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by James Allen
    Although Michael Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm issued a statement on Friday saying simply that “Michael is still in the wake-up phrase. The situation has not changed,” the Gazzetta dello Sport’s Pino Allievi has written that the German is now breathing by himself without a respirator and doctors believe that he is hearing the voices of his friends, among them FIA president Jean Todt and Ross Brawn. Todt is apparently speaking to his friend in English, as he did in their successful Ferrari days.

Schumacher remains in a coma nine weeks after the skiing accident which gave him a severe head injury requiring two operations to open his skull to relieve the pressure of his brain swelling.

There has been little news for three weeks, since it was announced that doctors in the hospital in Grenoble to which he was taken on December 30th, were trying to wake him.

But today, Allievi, Italy’s most influential and best connected F1 journalist has written that “There is hope”.

Todt and Brawn have stayed very close to the situation and to the family. Todt in particular is in constant contact even when not at the hospital. His close friend Prof Gerard Saillant is overseeing the care of the seven times world champion and reports to him several times a day. This I know from personal experience having visited Todt for an interview for the Financial Times last week.

Allievi does not reveal the source of his information, but has details of movements Schumacher has made; occasional twitches of an arm, a hand, a finger. His wife Corinna is by his side constantly. Brawn apparently plays recordings of pit to car radio from their times racing together, “because Michael needs to string together the threads of his life, voices and sounds.”

No-one knows when- or even if – Schumacher will wake up. But all those around him are doing everything they can and above all are continuing to hope.

It must be stressed that the Gazzetta dello Sport piece is not sourced, but Allievi is a very reliable journalist who would not have written a piece such as this, after all this time, without sound information.
    Last edited by Ste; 7th March 2014 at 11:48.

Schumacher responded well and now breathe independently, he reacts to stimulation expressing an unconscious grimace of annoyance.

He also reacts waving an arm, sometimes the shoulder, this means he's not paralysed.
    If all that is true it is very encouraging, in my opinion. I'll take any good news at this point.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Please, please, please let these rumours be true. The part about Ross playing him pit-to-car radio is so brilliant.
    Anything good or bad could happen in the coming season but it will all pale in comparison to Michael making it through this.
    Forza Jules