Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181930 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Schumacher - Updates and well-wishes

Just shocking. Initial reports after his accident didnt remotely suggest anything this serious.
    Pull through champ !!

The saddest thing, Schumacher spent most of his life racing at high speeds, risking his life, and now he is officially retired, he could spend his time with his family, worry free,
    But for this to happen :(

Oh come on Schumi, you can do it!

Only one operation, so reports of a second are wrong. Remains critical and they are taking it hour by hour.
    Forza Ferrari

Surgeon saying that there has not been a second operation and he will be kept in coma. He is still fighting for his life...

Looks like it will last long, and we don't have any clue about anything. Fingers crossed! Come on, Michael!

Got some news from inside circles as well. All I can say is that we all have to pray.

Yes, only 1 surgery and until then, a lot of monitoring.

Michael is fighting for his life, he is a fighter and he shall prevail.

Keep those candles lighted

Official update wont come till 10 or 11 GMT

The Telegraph - bad news:
    10.12am That is the end of a fairly brief press conference from the hospital in Grenoble. Schumacher remains in an induced coma in critical condition with a clot on the brain. He is in a fight for his life and the doctors say they are working on an hour-by-hour basis.
    10.09am Despite the helmet he arrived with lesions on the right-side of the brain so the accident, they conclude, must have taken place at high-speed. He was in an agitated state and was not responding to questions.
    10.08am At the moment the doctors are working to keep Schumacher's body temperature between 34 and 35 degrees and are working to reduce outside stimuli and keep oxegen to the brain.
    10.07am The doctors say that he "wouldn't be here now" if he had not been wearing a helmet. They also state that every year they deal with similar accidents inmvolving skiiers in this resort.
    10.07am There are no plans for a second operation and further updates will be given as and when there are any developments.
    10.06am It is possible that his physical condition as an athlete may help him in the fight.
    10.05am: Once again the doctors say he is an extremely serious condition but it is far too early to say anything as far as prognosis is concerned.
    10.03am He has been placed in an artificial coma while they try to reduce the pressure on his brain. Contrary to earlier reports Schumacher has been operated only only once. Doctors say they are working on an hour-to-hour basis.
    10.02am The operation last night eliminated the haematoma but revealed "various bilateral lesions". At this point he was admitted to intensive care. He remains in critical condition.
    10am The press conference in Grenoble is starting right now: Schumacher remains in critical condition. He was in a coma when he arrived at the hospital last night

Sigh
    can't imagine how difficult it must be for his family, having to wait like this not knowing what's next

Fight, Michael, fight! You can do it, son!

Michael only had one surgery, doctors not currently planning a second surgery, being monitered hourly and decisions will be made as and when needed, currently in induced coma, as is normal for a sub-cranial hematoma, prognosis very guarded at present...

Really doesn't sound good...

Praying for you Schui, you can pull through it.

Come on, Michael. Hang in there; you can do it.

Any operation on the brain is very and highly sensitive.

The tissues of the brain is composed of neurons and comprises of both sensory and motor neurons.

Doctors have to be very careful when performing the surgery as any slightest mistake will cost lost of speech, sight, taste or even motor movements.

My mum had to go through an 8 hour operation some years ago so I know its very very hard for Michael's family.

They will be waiting and waiting for hours outside the op theatre.

Keep praying for Michael, lift up his spirit and may the dear Lord give him strength....

Induced coma is very, very risky and is a treatment of last resort.

http://www.livescience.com/39483-wha...uced-coma.html

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Induced coma is very, very risky and is a treatment of last resort.

http://www.livescience.com/39483-wha...uced-coma.html
    I don't think it's that risky these days and for a serious head trauma it is usual to induce a coma...

In his mature years of racing Michael was avoiding unnecessary risks. How comes he was skiing at high speed outside the marked pistes in virgin snow?

I don't think this is the time for such a debate, he was with his son so I really doubt he was thinking it was high risk. But skiing in general is a risky pastime but so are lot's of other things.
    Forza Ferrari

According to a statement from a Dutch site after the press conference Monday at 10:00GMT:
    http://www.nu.nl/buitenland/3664464/...-toestand.html

He is being kept in an artificial coma, he has had only one operation and his condition is assessed continuously. He is in critical condition.

Watch F1 with us in 2014 Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    I don't think it's that risky these days and for a serious head trauma it is usual to induce a coma...
    Yes, induced coma is the better option to stabilize the patient (in this case Michael)

There isn't any other option

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Yes, induced coma is the better option to stabilize the patient (in this case Michael)

There isn't any other option
    For sure the doctors in Grenoble know what they are doing. We have to trust them.

Well at least he has survived the first night after the accident, that's something positive. But from here on it's all up to God.

Come on Michael, come back to us! The chequered flag hasn't been waved yet, you've still got half the race ahead of you great Champion! Win Schumi, win!!! #1
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Come on Michael, you have always been a fighter! Have been praying for you and your family, stay strong & come back champ...

#ForzaSchumi
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

I have been a lifelong Schmi fan like so many of you. The news is really really sad but I find I am more saddened by people's comments on this thread questioning risks he was taking. Everyone is entitled to make choices in their lives and no one has the right to criticise other people's life choices unless it s for murder. Has he not paid the highest price for his act without disrespectful people posting unnecessary comments at this time.

Sorry if I sound harsh but it is how I feel and it heartens me to have read so many positive comments and updates that have been so useful to those of us who really care about one of the greatest drivers F1 has ever known. I have been there in the lows and the highs and I will still be there now.

My prayers and thoughts are with his family right now and I pray that his strength and determination will see him through this very difficult time.

Regarding the medical procedures and what the surgeons are doing we have to have faith and trust in their experience, talent and efforts. I do know something of this field and I once attended a conference that said that although we know so much about the brain it is also fair to say that it is the next frontier and every case has to be treated indvidually so I am trying not to compare or research as this can be helpful but also scary.

Come on Ferrari fans we pulled Massa through now lets unite and get Michael through to his 92nd win!
    "The flowers of victory live in many vases" Michael Schumacher 7 times World Champion

Couldn't agree more F1Jan, this brings back those awful memories of Felipe's injuries and I pray that he recovers in the same way, my thoughts are with his family who are having the hardest of times. Forza Schumi indeed.

Awful news. My thoughts are with him and I hope his condition will improve very soon.
    Forza Schumi.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/201...ss-conference/

here is an explanation of some of the medical stuff from the press conference

Ferrari, with whom Schumacher won five world titles, released a statement earlier, saying: "Everyone at Ferrari has been in a state of anxiety since hearing about Michael Schumacher's accident.

"That includes the president, Luca Di Montezemolo, who through the Scuderia team principal Stefano Domenicali is in constant contact with the family and those close to the German champion.

"Montezemolo has offered his encouragement and support at this very difficult time, with the hope that better news will come soon."
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Shocking news- my prayers to Michael and his family.
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times

Please win this one for you and your family.
    Army of your supporters are praying for you!

Remain positive..He's had an operation, mabey a 2nd is not needed..thats good...
    Ive also read that the induced coma prevents the brain from swelling, so thats good...
    Michael is alive and if we've learned anything from following this man, we know he is fighting.
    I want to take these signs as good and positive news, so cmon Michael, keep fighting..as always, we are all with you.