Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 WEC/ELMS&TUSC news.

NEWS ALERT
    LE MANS - 07 June 2014
    Hello Mr Robert Allum,

WHAT HAPPENS AT 'SCRUTINEERING' OR 'PESAGE'?

06/06/2014 - 22h24

On Sunday 8th June at 14h30 the arrival of the No.35 Ligier JS P2 Nissan in the scrutineering bay will signal the start of the Le Mans week...a long week for the competitors which will end seven days later on 15th June at 15h00 when the chequered flag falls at the end of the 82nd edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

As has been the case since 2012, scrutineering and administrative checks will take place at the Place de la République right in the heart of the town. Over one and a half days, 56 cars and the 168 drivers must present themselves one after another to the officials to find out if the cars comply and if the men (and woman) are fit for service!

Scrutineering has three posts. The first is the passage of the car on a horizontal platform equipped with lasers to measure its main dimensions (width, length, overhangs, wheelbase, height of the wing and the fin, dimensions of the holes over the wheels, etc). This platform is also mounted on scales to weigh the cars.

When the car goes through the second post it is placed on a hoist to enable the officials to check the underneath (dimensions of the front and rear diffusers, dimensions and shape of the plank, which guarantees minimum ground clearance and better aerodynamic safety).

At the final one the bodywork is partially removed for the inspection of the safety equipment (extinguishers, belts, circuit breakers, indicators, safety measures for the hybrids’ electrics, etc) the fuel tank and the engine oil recuperation tank. The stickers are also checked here and the timekeepers verify that the transponder is working properly as well as the lights indicating the car’s position in its category. The data acquisition system in each car is scrupulously tested as is the new marshalling system, which tells the drivers in the cars about what’s going on on the circuit and the various actions by the track marshals via a special black box.

This year the LMP1s complying with the new technical regulations will be the object of particularly thorough scrutiny. Checking the engines is no longer the number one priority, that is now to make sure that the new regulations dealing with safety are respected. In all, the various operations last around 50 minutes per car.

While this is going on the drivers in their driver suits go though administrative checks during which their licenses, helmets, driver suits and all their equipment, which must comply with the FIA standards, are inspected. They are also weighed so that their weight can be deducted from that of the car during the checks carried out later on during qualifying. They then have to take part in various communications operations (individual photos, team photos with the cars, press interviews). And also they give autographs to the general public who flock to scrutineering.

The zone has been improved to give the spectators a better view of what’s going on. There is also a mini exhibitors’ village not far from the café terraces on the square, which will make the ambience all the warmer as sunny weather is forecast.

Scrutineering will take place on Sunday from 14h30 to 18h50 when the much-awaited Nissan ZEOD RC will close the day’s proceedings, and it will begin again on Monday 9th June at 10h00 till 17h30. Topping the bill on Sunday will be the Ligiers, Porsche LMP1s and GTE Pros, the Toyota TS040s.

The other entrants will be checked on Monday. The day’s proceedings will kick off with the two LMP2 SMP Racing Oreca 03R-Nissans and close with the two works Corvette C7Rs. The reigning champion, Audi, is expected at Place de la République at 15h10.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

DAY TWO AT SCRUTINEERING: WHAT THE DRIVERS SAID (PART 1)

The second and final day of Administrative and Technical Checks for the 24 Hours of Le Mans has taken place at the Place de la République in the centre of Le Mans under bright sunshine and very warm temperatures. Thousands of fans came to see the stars of the forthcoming 24 Hours of Le Mans, which for many are the cars which will take part, and the drivers who will be battling for honours overall and in each of the four classes, LMP1, LMP2, LMGTE Pro and LMGTE Am.

SMP Racing is new to the FIA World Endurance Championship this year but join LMP2 as 2013 ELMS GTC Champions. Experienced Frenchman Nicolas Minassian is helping to guide his new Russian team mates through their first 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Another face from the ELMS, who returns to Le Mans for the first time in two years, is Frankie Montecalvo who will be driving the No.90 8Star Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia in the LMGTE Am category.

Reigning World GTE Drivers Champion Gianmaria (Gimmi) Bruni won the fiercely contested LMGTE Pro category at Le Mans in 2012 with Toni Vilander and Giancarlo Fisichella. The three are reunited for 2014 and Bruni talks HERE about how big a fight it is going to be for class honours.

Matt Howson of Hong Kong-based team, KCMG, can’t wait to get back onto to the 14km track on Wednesday, and sees his biggest competitor as the OAK Racing-managed G-Drive Racing Morgan Nissan. Helped by the presence of the 6 Hours of Shanghai and KCMG in the FIA WEC, the Le Mans name is gradually becoming more and more well known in China.

DAY TWO AT SCRUTINEERING: WHAT THE DRIVERS SAID (PART 2)

The afternoon in the Place de la République saw some well-known names from the race’s recent history, including those of Rebellion Racing, Aston Martin Racing and Audi Sport Team Joest – the most successful team in modern history with 12 victories to date.

Rebellion Racing introduced at the last round of the FIA WEC its brand new Toyota-engined Rebellion R-One, and the Swiss team has worked extremely hard and untiringly to be at the 24 Hours of Le Mans with its LMP1-L entries. Nicolas Prost from the No.12 entry, which he will drive with Mathias Beche and Nick Heidfeld, spoke about the challenge ahead for Rebellion.

British team Aston Martin Racing is always a popular entrant at Le Mans, and its cars are this year all in the iconic blue and orange racing colours which have become so well-known over the years. Darren Turner spoke about how he feels the team will be able to unlock the potential of the Aston Martin Vantage GTE to be able to compete for victory in the LMGTE Pro category.

His team mate Fernando Rees also spoke about how he has made the move up from the Am class to Pro, and how the Le Mans name is growing year on year in Brazil, helped enormously by the 6 Hours of Sao Paolo which is the final round of the 2014 FIA WEC and takes place on 30th November.

To round off the video interviews from the WEC entrants, there can be no better name than Mr Le Mans himself, Tom Kristensen. He spoke about how the new technology might affect teams’ strategy when it comes to an attack on the race, and about how difficult the challenge will be for another victory to add to the nine under his name.

Countdown has begun now Only 5 days to go! So excited!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    Countdown has begun now Only 5 days to go! So excited!
    i know, cannt wai. Kicks off this Wednesday with practice. Washed my AF Corse team top, got beers in fridge already, just got get few snacks

LE MANS 2014 - MARK WEBBER (PORSCHE) GIVES HIS FIRST IMPRESSIONS (VIDEO)
    There was just see the crowd of fans, but also and especially journalists and photographers surrounding Mark Webber in the city center of Le Mans scrutineering, to get an idea of ​​the level of popularity of the Australian pilot , former resident of Red Bull Racing F1 team.

However, in the video below, you can realize that the agitation, media or not, around him did nothing to alter the modesty of Mark Webber, whose main goal this week will ... ! Discover them by watching the video!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    i know, cannt wai. Kicks off this Wednesday with practice. Washed my AF Corse team top, got beers in fridge already, just got get few snacks
    That's great that you got an official AF Corse team shirt! I have looked on the internet very often but sadly never found one for sale on ebay or so! Do you know were I can get one?

A 1,2,3 in both classes would just be amazing! But you are not afraid of the Porsches or Aston's?

And you are right about our LMP1 program but I really would like to see it! I have been in the Ferrari museum in Maranello and I saw some LeMans winners there and these cars are beasts! That's why I would like to see that we build an LMP1 car in the future. Wishful thinking!
    There are rumors that Ferrari could be announcing the LMP1 project this Saturday.

That would really be like a dream come true. I just hope it won't disrupt our F1 project.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

ASTON MARTIN IS ALL SET FOR LE MANS CHALLENGE

Gaydon, 10 June 2014 - Aston Martin Racing will head to its tenth consecutive 24 Hours of Le Mans next weekend (14-15 June) with its four Gulf-liveried V8 Vantage GTEs and Team Principal John Gaw says the team is better prepared than ever for the world’s most famous 24 hour race but that the challenge is the biggest to-date.

Aston Martin has competed in the 24 Hours of Le Mans many times since it made its debut in 1928, most notably winning the race overall in 1959, and the manufacturer’s modern motorsport division, Aston Martin Racing, has contested the iconic endurance race every year since the team’s formation in 2004.

In 2007 and 2008 the team claimed GT1 class victories and, although John Gaw says this year is the most challenging to date in terms of class competition, he also believes the team is better prepared than ever.

“This is the third Le Mans in Aston Martin Racing’s return to GT racing and, subsequently, the team is in a very strong place,” comments Gaw. “The competition in our class will be intense this year, for sure, but the team is the most prepared it has ever been.

“But preparation is just part of what we need to be successful. A key ingredient, of course, is the drivers and I’d argue that this year we have the strongest line-up in the GTE Pro class with the #97 car, while both of our GTE Am cars could fight for the class win.

“Our #99 GTE Pro team has two Le Mans rookie drivers so this is a learning year for them, but they are doing a solid job so far and the team is one to watch for the future.”

In the #97 V8 Vantage GTE, double Le Mans-winner Darren Turner (GB) will be joined once again by long-standing team-mate Stefan Mücke (DE) and Bruno Senna (BR), who contested the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) with Aston Martin Racing in 2013.

Turner, double GT class Le Mans-winner, commented: “We came here for the test last weekend and on paper it looked like we were struggling. However, we were actually doing what I call ‘homework’; all the things you need to do before going racing, such as bedding in brakes. We got through all our homework in the morning but didn’t put in a representative lap time.

“In the afternoon we managed to get some good laps in and, although we’re still a little bit off the competition, if you look at the sector times we’re not as far off as it seems. The car is different from last year: the 5mm ride height change we had over the winter has created a new problem for us at Le Mans. When we are in low downforce trim it affects the predictability of the car under braking. This makes the car a bit more of a handful but we just need to find a good balance. I’m confident that our team will manage to do this ahead of the race.”

In the identical #99 Craft-Bamboo Racing V8 Vantage GTE, Darryl O’Young (HK), who first contested the race in 2013, will be joined by Le Mans rookies Fernando Rees (BR) and Alex MacDowall (GB).

In the GTE Am class, the #95 Young Driver AMR V8 Vantage GTE returns to race with Aston Martin Racing for the third consecutive year, with its sight sets firmly on the top step.

LMP2 class-winner Kristian Poulsen, who has raced at the last two 24 Hours of Le Mans with Aston Martin Racing, will race alongside fellow Dane David Heinemeier Hansson and GT ace Nicki Thiim (DN).

In the #99 Vantage GTE, Paul Dalla Lana (CN) will be joined by long-term racing partner Pedro Lamy (PT) and experienced WEC and Le Mans racer Christoffer Nygaard (DN).

“So, we are confident that the elements within our control are all in place,” continues Gaw. “However, as with any endurance race, the final element comes down to those factors out of our control: what others on track do; the weather – which is unpredictable in Le Mans – and safety cars, for example. We’ll just have to see what happens on the day.

“What we are clear about, however, is that we are ready for the fight.”

The 24 Hours of Le Mans starts at 1500hrs on Saturday 14 June. Ahead of the race, there is a four-hour practice session on Wednesday at 1600hrs before the first of three qualifying sessions at 2200hrs. Qualifying sessions two and three take place at 1900hrs and 2200hrs on Thursday. Fans can watch the build-up and race on lemans-tv.com and via the Le Mans 24 Hours app (’24 Heures du Mans 2014’).

- ENDS -

That's great that you got an official AF Corse team shirt! I have looked on the internet very often but sadly never found one for sale on ebay or so! Do you know were I can get one?
    I know, i feel very honoured to be given one. I know someone on the team.

Home / Le Mans / 24H Le Mans / Dempsey Adds Tag Heuer to Le Mans Partner Lineup
    Dempsey Adds Tag Heuer to Le Mans Partner Lineup
    By Tony DiZinno

Dempsey Racing has revealed an additional new partner for its effort in the 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans, as Tag Heuer was confirmed aboard the No. 77 Dempsey Racing-Proton Porsche 911 RSR on Tuesday.

The black Porsche ran in base livery for the Le Mans Test Day and for scrutineering this week.

Meanwhile the Tag Heuer logo is display on the front and rear quarter panels of the Porsche.

Additional partners on board include Beautyrest Black, which also supports the team’s TUDOR United SportsCar Championship effort.

More to come on Dempsey Racing’s second crack as a team, and the third for driver Patrick Dempsey alongside Joe Foster and Patrick Long, will come later this week on Sportscar365.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...artner-lineup/

Dyson, Kimber-Smith and McMurry Ready for History Making Le Mans

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – With the momentum of solid finishes at Silverstone and Imola to their credit, Tom Kimber-Smith, Matt McMurry and Chris Dyson are looking forward to a strong run at the 82nd running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans June 14-15 in the #42 LM P2 Caterham Zytek-Nissan fielded by Greaves Motorsport.
    All three drivers share the common goal of a class win, but each of them also brings his own agenda to the world’s most prestigious sportscar race.

Kimber-Smith is aiming for his third LM P2 victory in six starts, (and fourth class win, including victory in GT2 in 2006.) “Le Mans is a special race which anyone in motorsport would love to attend and compete at,” Kimber-Smith said. “I have been extremely fortunate to have won the race three times now. (2006: Panoz Esperante GT2; 2011: Zytek/Nissan LMP2; and 2012: HPD/HPD LM P2). I still have the same, if not more desire to win this race. It's such a special feeling to stand on the top step of that podium looking down at thousands of spectators. LM P2 this year is very competitive. Probably the most competitive it has ever been. The race will be flat out as always and the winner will be the team that makes the least mistakes.”

For McMurry, a 16 year-old high school student and the initial Dyson Racing Junior Development Driver, it’s about becoming the youngest starter in the 91-year history of this twice-around-the-clock classic, the youngest finisher and the youngest winner.
    “I went to Le Mans in 2008 when I was ten when my father raced there,” recounted McMurry. “When I was twelve, we had a school project where we were asked what we wanted to accomplish before we graduated. I said that I wanted to race at Le Mans, and now four years later, the dream is about to become real. I have been getting good advice from my teammates, Chris and Tom on how to get into a rhythm and stay calm. Greaves Motorsport has a very good record at Le Mans and I am glad I will be part of the team’s effort to have another successful race at Le Mans.”
    When he climbs into the car for the first time following the green flag on June 14, McMurry will displace the legendary Mexican driver Ricardo Rodriquez, who was 17- years old when he started the 1959 edition of the race.

Dyson, a two-time IMSA American Le Mans Series driving champion, made his first start at Le Mans in 2004, coming home first in the contingent of American drivers. His focus on State-side competition has curtailed Dyson’s participation in European sportscar racing, at least until this season.
    "It was a thrill racing at Le Mans for the first time, ten years ago,” Dyson said. “I wish my schedule made it possible for me to race there every year, but our team’s primary focus has needed to be on our U.S. schedule. But the fact that I don’t get to race at Le Mans every year – this will be my third start – makes the opportunity to do it this year all the sweeter. Plus, it’s great to be doing this race with Tom, who is a good friend, and Matt, who I believe is destined for a truly great driving career. That’s why we made him our first Dyson Junior team member.”

Dyson also paid tribute to the team that is fielding the car. “We’ve got a great entrant in Greaves Motorsport,” he noted. “TKS won with them in 2011 and Greaves was on the podium last year as well. They’re known for fielding cars that are solid, reliable and well prepared for the task of surviving 24 straight hours of racing. We’re not taking anything for granted, but our goal is to win LM P2 and I don’t think our optimism is misplaced.”

LE MANS 2014 - MARK WEBBER, 15 YEARS AFTER

After 12 years of F1, punctuated by 9 wins, Mark Webber fight this weekend's 24 Hours of Le Mans race he had seen twice in 1998 and 1999, but not able to complete a lap in the race. For his return and that of his new employer Porsche, Australian shows modest.

After 12 years of F1, punctuated by 9 wins, Mark Webber fight this weekend's 24 Hours of Le Mans race he had seen twice with Mercedes in 1998 and 1999, but not able to complete a lap in the race. For his return and that of his new employer Porsche, Australian shows modest.

Photo: Sebastien BASSANI (ACO) - Sebastien BASSANI (ACO)

For 15 years you have not competed in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. What are your first impressions here?
    Mark Webber (Porsche): I could not remember how the public was enthusiastic weighing. This is incredible! This puts us directly into the atmosphere.

And the circuit, he has changed a lot since 1999?
    Especially me who changed (laughs). The last time I came, I was young and I had a lot of pressure. I had to prove my worth. Today I'm here to bring my "value added" to the team. This completely changes my perception of things ...

In speaking staff, is not difficult to learn to work in groups?
    I love sharing with other drivers (Hartley and Timo Bernhard). That said, I always want to feel powerful and show my top speed!

Does this mean that you will play pole position?
    (Silence) I do not know yet ...

And victory?
    For the return of Porsche at Le Mans, finishing the race would already. For me, Audi remains the team to beat.

What is your schedule today?
    I'm always disciplined approach to a race. I try to stay calm, eat well and sleep well to protect me as much as physically possible.

LE MANS 2014 - HOW TO PREPARE A PILOT HE FITNESS?
    Part of a series of topics related to the physical condition of the driver, his diet, his sleep and his handling of the night. The driver of the Rebellion One-R-Toyota # 12 shows the outline of his preparation for Le Mans!

The pilot of the Rebellion Racing team does not work his physical condition at a specific time of the year as he explains: "physical preparation, this works in continuity over several years. I began to prepare myself for the very end Mans 2012 2013 and my preparation has never really stopped because it takes months or even years to reach the level expected! "

At the sports practiced, it is "not a specialist in a particular sport, I touch everything to try to be as complete as possible. In winter, I prefer endurance sports. This year for example, I started cross-country skiing, running to cycling because it's a little cold, a little swimming, snorkeling, the gym with many exercises cladding. When I get closer to the goal, more a little more specific things, with a little training time shorter so at running, you will focus most of the split. In gym, we will return to work at the neck, the position of the driver. I also play squash for my reflexes work. "

Parts of the body work more especially in LM P1 as he confirms: "I work on my neck because it can draw in LM P1. On a track like Le Mans, ca can go because there are long straights to rest. By cons, Silverstone, ca feels more. So work on the neck, trapezius, lumbar, abdominal because you spend a lot of time in the tub. It is contracted in turns to really continue. "

When discussing the great week of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, he says that "a week before the week of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, I'm a big session endurance. Last Wednesday we went for a walk in the mountains five hours to make a little oxygen at altitude and also to soothe the soul! For cons, the Le Mans week is the only time I do nothing. That never happens to me the rest of the year not to be five days without doing sports! "

I know, i feel very honoured to be given one. I know someone on the team.

Wow that's great Iam very jealous! I emailed AF Corse about the factory visit around 3 weeks ago now but sadly I haven't got an answer yet

Wow that's great Iam very jealous! I emailed AF Corse about the factory visit around 3 weeks ago now but sadly I haven't got an answer yet
    sorry, forgot to ask, when you going? will email friend and ask.

sorry, forgot to ask, when you going? will email friend and ask.
    Hi Rob Iam in Italy from 11th august until 26th August! We are going to do a road trip in Italy so Iam not sure at what exact date we are in Maranello. Is this clear enough for you or do you want a specific date from me?

PRESS RELEASE
    June 16, 2014

Bentley Motors Returns to North American Motorsport with Dyson Racing Team Bentley
    Dyson Racing Team Bentley debut race slated for June 20 at Road America
    Butch Letzinger To Pilot Continental GT3 in North America Debut

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY/HERNDON, VA – After an absence of more than a decade, Bentley Motors is competing again on the racing circuits of North America again, beginning this weekend at the Road America race track in Elkhart Lake, WI. Dyson Racing Team Bentley is fielding a Bentley Continental GT3 in the Pirelli World Challenge with Butch Leitzinger, a championship-winning driver with long-time connections to both halves of the new Anglo-American motorsports partnership, at the helm. Bentley will be taking on the competition in a pair of no-holds-barred sprint races (June 20-21) at one of the continent’s classic road-racing venues.

“Motorsport is an integral part of Bentley’s DNA and we’re excited to return to the racetrack in North America,” said Christophe Georges, President and CEO, Bentley Motors, Inc. “We’re thrilled to work with the successful Dyson Racing organization. Like Bentley, they have an established and valued history in motorsports. The team has been hard at work preparing for this first race and we are excited for our customers and fans to see and hear the exhilarating Continental GT3 on the track.”
    This marks the return of Bentley Motors to North American racing for the first time since the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2003 when the company’s pair of Bentley Speed 8 racecars took first and second in the Le Mans GTP class. This will also be the Dyson team’s first race in the 2014 season, having most recently competed with a Lola prototype sports car at the ten-hour Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in October 2013.

In April, Bentley Motors announced a multi-year agreement with Dyson Racing to support the company’s motorsport activities in North America. Dyson Racing Team Bentley will compete with Bentley’s Continental GT3 in the second half of the Pirelli World Challenge in preparation for a full season of competition in 2015.
    “Racing a production-based car is a new challenge for our team,” noted Chris Dyson, Vice President and Sporting Director for the team. “And we’re proud to be taking up this task in conjunction with our new partners at Bentley Motors. We know we’ll be facing strong competition in the Pirelli World Challenge, but our first test with the Continental GT3 went very well and we’re confident we’re bringing an excellent race car to Elkhart Lake.”

Road America will also mark the return of Butch Leitzinger to the Dyson Racing roster. He has shared 20 years of history with the team and first drove for Dyson Racing in the 1995 24 Hours of Daytona. Leitzinger has a strong record with Bentley, racing for the British team in the 2001 and 2002 24 Hours of Le Mans.

“Working with both Bentley and Dyson together is a happy development for me,” said Leitzinger, whose lengthy professional racing career includes numerous victories in both prototype and production-based race cars. “Chris and Rob (Dyson, the team’s founder and president) had been speaking with me about an undefined project they had in mind and I was of course interested in renewing my relationship with them and the team. I also knew that Bentley was getting back into racing, this time with a racing version of the Continental. To my surprise these two projects turned out to be the same – and happily, I'll be driving.”
    Leitzinger noted that the well-established relationship he has with the Dyson technical staff will help get the effort up to full speed quickly despite joining the series near the mid-point of the season.

Driving assignments for the four race meets following Elkhart Lake will be shared among Leitzinger, Dyson and Guy Smith, who has been a “Bentley Boy” since he won the 2003 24 Hours of Le Mans in the Bentley Speed 8. Smith also drove one of the Speed 8s at their last American appearance at Sebring in 2003. In addition, Smith was a development driver for the Bentley Continental GT3 program and races a Continental GT3 in the European Blancpain Series. He drove the winning car at the series’ most recent round at Silverstone, giving Bentley their first-ever win at the famous track and Bentley’s first victory since Le Mans in 2003.

“Selecting the drivers for this Anglo-American program was the easy part,” Dyson said. “Both Butch, who’s American and Guy, a Brit, have strong and enduring ties to Bentley and to Dyson Racing. Most importantly, they are both experienced veterans who are fast and who know how to win. The Pirelli World Challenge races are all sprint events, so the racing is flat out from the start and a driver has to be able to get to the front quickly and still bring the car home in one piece. Both Guy and Butch can do that. They are a formable pair for sure.”
    ###
    Notes to editors:
    The Continental GT3 programme is run by the Bentley Motorsport team in conjunction with M-Sport. The team is led by Bentley’s Director of Motorsport, Brian Gush. M-Sport was originally formed in 1979, and in 1994 M-Sport won national rally titles in Italy, Portugal, the Middle East and Britain, the latter with founder Malcolm Wilson himself behind the wheel. Since 1996, M-Sport has run Ford’s WRC campaigns, including winning two FIA World Rally Championships in 2006 and 2007.

Last year, Dyson Racing celebrated thirty years in professional sports car racing, having established themselves as the premier sports car team in North America. With a success tally including 19 championships, 70 victories, 69 poles and over 200 podiums, Dyson Racing has a long history of outstanding results – most recently winning the ALMS LMP1 Drivers and Team Championship in 2011.

Bentley Motors is the most sought after luxury car brand in the world. In 2013 one in every four luxury cars delivered to customers worldwide was a Bentley. 2013 was Bentley’s record year in the company’s 95-year history. Global customer deliveries grew by 19% over 2012 to 10,120 cars. The Americas remained Bentley’s largest sales region, with 3,140 cars delivered. China continued its position as the second biggest market with 2,191 cars, while in Europe, deliveries reached 1,480 cars. Sales in Bentley’s home market, the UK, were 1,381 and in the Middle East, Bentley delivered 1,185 cars. By the end of 2013 Bentley had nearly 200 dealerships in 54 countries.

Bentley Motors’ headquarters in Crewe is home to all of its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production of the company’s three model lines, Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury car brands such as Bentley. It is also an example of high-value British manufacturing at its best. Bentley employs around 3,700 people at Crewe.

WORLD ENDURANCE CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERS AFTER ROUND 3 AT LE MANS

After three rounds of the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship, the race for the various titles has changed following the 24 Heures du Mans at the weekend.

In the World Endurance Manufacturer’s Championship Toyota still leads but, thanks to its 1-2 finish at the weekend, Audi is now trailing Toyota by just one point. Toyota (115pts) is 55 points ahead of Porsche (60 points).

In the Drivers' Championship, Nicolas Lapierre, Sebastien Buemi and Anthony Davidson have extended their lead to 20 points over their nearest rivals thanks to third place at Le Mans, with Round 3 winners Andre Lotterer, Benoit Treluyer and Marcel Fassler moving up the table from 8th to 2nd behind the Toyota trio.

In the World Endurance Cup for GT Drivers Gianmaria Brui and Toni Vilander extend their lead to 27 points thanks to their victory and pole position at Le Mans ahead of the Porsche duo of Fred Makowiecki and Marco Holzer who finished second on Sunday. In the Manufacturer’s Cup, Ferrari has opened up a 12 point gap to Porsche and is 50 points ahead of Aston Martin.

In the LMP1 Privateer Trophy the no12 Rebellion Racing R-One of Mathias Beche, Nick Heidfeld and Nicolas Prost once again took the chequered flag. While Rebellion doesn't yet have any rivals (the Lotus LMP1 challenger was unveiled at Le Mans) the fact that this brand new car, which is still being developed by the team, reached the chequered flag in the world's most demanding race is worthy of note.

In LMP2 Sergey Zlobin is the current leader in the FIA Endurance Trophy for LMP2 Drivers after the SMP Racing ORECA was the first WEC eligible car to take the chequered flag. Zlobin is 12 points ahead of his teammate Anton Ladygin and a further 25 points ahead of the G-Drive Racing trio of Julien Canal, Olivier Pla and Roman Rusinov. The rounds 1 & 2 winners failed to finish in the 24 Hours of Le Mans after getting caught up in an accident, forcing the car into retirement.

Kristian Poulsen and David Heinemeier-Hansson leave Le Mans as championship leaders in the FIA Endurance Trophy for LMGTE Drivers, 18 points ahead of teammate Nicki Thiim after the no95 Aston Martin Racing Vantage scored an emotional victory. The two Danes are 29 points ahead of the AF Corse Ferrari trio of Luis Perez-Companc, Marco Cioci and Mirko Venturi.

The next round of the FIA World Endurance Championship will take place at the Circuit of the Americas in Texas on the 18-20 September.

Championship Positions after Round 3 of the FIA WEC

Championship Leaders after Round 3

World Endurance Drivers’ Championship: Sebastien Buemi, Anthony Davidson, Nicolas Lapierre - 80pts

World Endurance Manufacturers’ Championship:Toyota - 115pts

World Endurance Cup for GT Drivers: Gianmaria Bruni, Toni Vilander - 90pts

World Endurance Cup for GT Manufacturers: Ferrari - 135pts

FIA Endurance Trophy for Private LMP1 Drivers: Mathias Beche, Nick Heidfeld, Nicolas Prost - 100pts

FIA Endurance Trophy for Private LMP1 Teams: Rebellion Racing - 100pts

FIA Endurance Trophy for LMP2 Drivers: Sergey Zlobin - 77pts

FIA Endurance Trophy for LMP2 Teams: 27 SMP Racing - 77pts

FIA Endurance Trophy for LMGTE Pro Teams: 51 AF Corse - 90pts

FIA Endurance Trophy for LMGTE Am Drivers: Kristian Poulsen, David Heinemeier-Hansson - 93pts

FIA Endurance Trophy for LMGTE Am Teams: 95 Aston Martin Racing - 93pts

Vipers set for 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours return under Dodge banner
    By Gary Watkins Thursday, June 19th 2014, 14:49 GMT

Chrysler is aiming to return to the Le Mans 24 Hours next season with its Viper GTE contenders running under the flag of the Dodge marque.

The V10-powered muscle cars, which have up to now been badged as SRTs after the US giant's Street & Racing Technology brand, were withdrawn from this year's 24 Hours, but SRT director of motorsport marketing and operations Beth Peretta has revealed a clear intent to be back in 2015.

"Ideally we will be back and that is the goal, but we have to figure out how we do it," said Peretta, who was at Le Mans last weekend for meetings with race organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest.

"It would be a strategic decision because we do not sell Vipers in Europe, so there are a few things that need to align."

The latest Viper raced at Le Mans last year in its first full season of competition, after a limited programme of American Le Mans Series events in 2012.

Dodge Vipers, Petit Le Mans 1999
    Two factory SRT Viper GTS-Rs, built and run by Riley Technologies, were entered in the GTE Pro class for Le Mans this year, only to be withdrawn at the end of March.

Peretta confirmed that the reasons for this were financial.

"Adding two endurance races at Daytona and Watkins Glen to the schedule [on the creation of the United SportsCar Championship] meant extra expense, which meant we had to step back and get all our ducks in a row," she said.

The incorporation of SRT into the Dodge brand will result in a new livery for the Vipers for the remainder of this year's USC, starting with the Watkins Glen 6 Hours on June 29.

The cars, now known as Dodge Viper SRT GTS-Rs, will run in a red-and-white colour scheme that pays homage to the livery in which the first-generation Viper GTS-R achieved success in the US and at Le Mans in 1999 and 2000 (pictured).

The ORECA-run cars took class honours in the American Le Mans Series in those two season and won the Daytona 24 Hours outright and the GTS division at Le Mans in 2000.

The cars ran as Dodges in the US, but were branded as Chrysler Vipers in Europe.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114520

PRESS RELEASE
    June 20, 2014

Successful Inauguration Day
    ELKHART LAKE, WI – It was a successful debut for Dyson Racing Team Bentley and the new Bentley Continental GT3 in today’s Pirelli World Challenge race here at iconic Road America. Butch Leitzinger finished sixth in the twin-turbo V-8 powered entry, fourteen seconds off of first place. He set the second fastest race lap which means he will start on the outside of the front row for tomorrow’s second race of the weekend.

The race was a forward march for Leitzinger. He made up 13 positions in the 50 minute race. While the race was run under dry conditions, this morning’s wet qualifying session was cancelled and the grid was based on points. With this being the first race for the team in PWC, no prior championship points put Leitzinger in the 19th starting position.

Leitzinger summed up his race: “It was great. The car performed well and I had fun racing with people. It is great to be able to dice with people and go wheel to wheel and everyone was very fair. No one was giving anything and that is how you want to race people. The track changed quite a bit between the rain and the NASCAR rubber that was put down, and it looked like everyone was struggling for grip. We learned a lot and Bentley has produced a great race car and Dyson has done a great job of bringing it to the race track. We are going to have fun with this car the rest of the year.”

Chris Dyson, Vice President and Sporting Director of Dyson Racing, commented that “It was a good inaugural race for our Anglo-American partnership. The car has run trouble- free this weekend and Butch, as usual, worked the traffic well in the race. We have been made to feel very welcome by everyone in Pirelli World Challenge, and it is great to have the team back at a race track, doing what they do best.”

“It is probably the most sorted new car that I have driven,” added Leitzinger talking about the Continental GT3. “The Bentley people and the M-Sport people had done a great job of putting together a good package. Plus we had Guy Smith who helped with the development on the car, so everyone deserves a lot of credit for producing a good baseline car. We have not had to chase the usual new car teething problems and from the very beginning the Bentley has felt solid.

“I am very impressed with the feel and capabilities of the car. Normally a GT car is all mechanical with very little aero, but this car has good aerodynamics. Their wind tunnel work shows as you can feel the downforce on the car.”

Peter Weston, the race engineer for Dyson Racing, also found a lot to like about the new car. “The chassis is stiff and racy which opens up a lot of doors to the engineer as far as how he can set the car up. Butch found the same thing from the drivers’ seat that he can bring a lot to the table as a driver and use his full repertoire of race craft. Normally with GT cars, there is only one way to drive them, but with the new Bentley, the driver can drive it how he wants to go quickly. The car is actually quite nimble and is a flexible platform from both engineering and driver’s viewpoint.”

You can catch all the action of this weekend’s Pirelli World Challenge races at one the classic circuits in America on Friday, July 4, 6:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.
    ###

TUDOR UNITED SPORTSCAR CHAMPIONSHIP
    Round 6 – SHALEN’S SIX HOURS OF THE GLEN – 28-29 June
    06.20.2014 – OAK Racing Press Release - Preview

The OAK Racing Morgan-Nissan LM P2 makes its debut on the Watkins Glen circuit

OAK Racing will have its maiden outing on the Watkins Glen International circuit, which is hosting the sixth round of the Tudor United SportsCar Championship. The French squad will run its Morgan-Nissan LM P2 in this 6-Hour event for the first time. After Sebring and Laguna Seca Alex Brundle will be back in the car with Gustavo Yacaman, the team’s regular driver, and Ho-Pin Tung who will be having his first outing with them on American soil.

At the end of May OAK Racing scored its first top-3 finish in the Tudor USCC with the no. 42 Morgan-Nissan LM P2 in Detroit, and the team is determined to repeat this performance and maybe even clinch victory. The French squad will have to learn this circuit, which it is tackling for the first time, and for this it can count on Gustavo Yacaman’s experience.

The Colombian driver, who is taking part in all the races in the Tudor USCC with OAK Racing, already knows and likes very much the legendary Glen circuit in upstate New York. It is a quick track with a long straight which, theoretically anyway, doesn't really seem the most favourable for the Morgan-Nissan LM P2, but the return to the long 6–hour race format is an advantage for endurance specialist, OAK Racing. Choosing the right strategy will be a crucial factor in scoring a good result when the chequered flag falls on 29th June.

To back up Yacaman, two of OAK Racing’s regulars, Alex Brundle and Ho-Pin Tung, will fly to the USA. The latter will be back behind the wheel of the no. 42 Morgan-Nissan LM P2 after their performance in the Le Mans 24 Hours in the brand-new Ligier JS P2 so they remain faithful to Onroak Automotive, the constructor of both these LM P2 sports prototypes. After being Gustavo’s team-mate at Sebring and Laguna Seca, the talented Brit Alex Brundle will be back with him again, and the experienced Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung will be making his debut in the American series. They will both be having their first outing on the 5,47-km Watkins Glen layout, somewhat shorter than the 13,629-km circuit on which they were both racing in last weekend’s Le Mans 24 Hours!

Alex Brundle: “I am looking forward to heading out to Watkins Glen, another track that I haven't met before for the Tudor USCC 6 Hours. I will have to shift my style very quickly from the 'clean lines' of Le Mans to the rough and tumble of American racing. The amount of flat-out running at The Glen will make the race tricky for us but we will give everything to come out on top.”

Ho-Pin Tung: “After a successful Le Mans 24 Hours with the OAK Racing Ligier JS P2 - HPD I am looking forward to make my USCC debut with the Morgan - Nissan LM P2. It will be my first visit to Watkins Glen and also first time using the Continental tyres. OAK Racing, the car and driver line-up have been very successful in the championship so far and I hope to be able to make my contribution to continue to build on the podium finish of Detroit.”

Gustavo Yacaman: “Watkins Glen is one of the most fun and most historic track in America. It’s the kind of track I really like, the old style F1 tracks with super long straights and mega fast corners following those straights. I really think our Morgan – Nissan LM P2 built by Onroak Automotive with all its downforce will perform really well at this track. Really look forward to meeting Ho-Ping Tung as our new team mate.”

Thanks Rob for answering. Apparently there are two non Af corse teams that use Ferrari 458 in Le Mans. It is interesting, ridiculous, cool and confusing. I have lots of questions in my mind but don't know how to ask. Even Wikipedia couldn't convince me about Le Mans
    ||||||||||||||||||||||

Not a fan of Bentley but Dodge viper would be good addition to Le Mans, Very beautiful car.

||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by AfterLife View Post
    Thanks Rob for answering. Apparently there are two non Af corse teams that use Ferrari 458 in Le Mans. It is interesting, ridiculous, cool and confusing. I have lots of questions in my mind but don't know how to ask. Even Wikipedia couldn't convince me about Le Mans
    the 458s, are built and supported by AF Corse.

the 458s, are built and supported by AF Corse.
    Afcorse can't build and develop 458 for rival teams. It is nonsense, Have i missed something?
    ||||||||||||||||||||||

I can't say I've ever been a fan of the Dodge Viper, but it's always good to see a car return to the grid with an engine in its proper position.

Quote Originally Posted by AfterLife View Post
    Afcorse can't build and develop 458 for rival teams. It is nonsense, Have i missed something?
    think of it like Ferrari supply engines to Sauber.