Page 69 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1944555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2236

Thread: Bahrain testing 27 Feb-2 Mar

Quote Originally Posted by blaney1977 View Post
    Anybody got auto sport subscription too read what Gary Anderson says about testing, james Allen's site with help from mark gillan says merc out front with Williams ferrari closely matched then a gap back too force India mclaren just wonder if Anderson says the same
    Don't know about him, but there's opinionf of Ted Kravitz:

"Mercedes clearly infront. Williams has beautiful car aerodynamicaly. Ferrari is a bit of an unknown. The expectations are they will be 2nd behind Mercedes, but they could easily be behind all the Merc powered cars as well. Force india, although ugly, seem to be in a good shape and the drivers are satisfied. McLaren unknown as well. One day they are fast, then they are strugling to find the pace and reliability. Red Bull has beautiful car with holes in it and Marussia seem to be significantly better then Caterham, which will be updated with Lotus style nose come Barcelona." Not much said about Lotus, TR or Sauber. He was sure though that those 177 laps Sauber maneged at the last day of testing is a record.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

http://autosprint.corrieredellosport...u-tutto/13458/
    Can someone summarise what Domenicalli is saying in this intervew (in English)?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    This is the same statement posted on the ferrari website on Sunday. Nothing new.

http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/dom...-key-australia

http://translate.google.com/translat...458%2F&act=url

Quote Originally Posted by f1tomi8 View Post
    Autosprint reports different reference points were used by Ferrari to record lap times & they could be faster. Hope this is true!
    Yeah..read that and make sense too
    http://www.f1sport.it/2014/03/04/f1-...tempi-bahrain/

If above is true, the focus should be to design a new car!!
    Most of those are fixable, only worrying thing to me is high fuel consumption, because if it's true it's much harder to get more downforce cause it will
    raise consumption again..

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    so its official now.....we are bad in almost every segment
    "Official" LOL??? There is absolutely nothing official at this point, so just relax.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Autosprint reports different reference points were used by Ferrari to record lap times & they could be faster. Hope this is true!
    This is the kind of news I like to hear. ... After reading so many negative news about our engine and car. But hope there's some truth to this. Time will tell.....well exactly 10 days.

These 10 days are gonna take forever to go by. I know it.

According to Autosprint the problem lies in the Ferrari second MGH-U fails to load all the energy that the batteries must then convert
    Is the MGH-U unit standard for everyone or does every team make it themselves?

Wow, so many posts...Lottsa negative too..truth is, we simply dont know. All of these journo's saying we are good, bad, fast, slow, too much power, not enough power, good traction, bad traction, fast corners, slow corners, lotta problems, not so many problems, tires this, tires that, sandbagging or not, good nose, bad nose, funny nose, aero nose..No one nose...
    Its almost as if some posters hate Ferrari, then offer a simplistic explanation that makes the negative post OK.

The line I read that made the most sense? "Tedious to read from 'supporters' every day, but fine." Thanks for that Rossa.
    I dont think we will have a real picture until race 3 or 4..Once things get sorted a bit.

I do have a question though, since theres this fuel limit thing, do they bury the foot at the start of the race, midrace, or do they hang until the final stint to conserve then go like crazy to the end? I do think having fuel restrictions 1st year of the new engines is overdoing it a bit. Mabey wouldve been better to introduce 200 1st year, then 150 2nd year etc..Would love to see them go like bonkers the whole race. You know, like Formula 1...

I thought time recording were done by the FIA.
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Wow, so many posts...Lottsa negative too..truth is, we simply dont know. All of these journo's saying we are good, bad, fast, slow, too much power, not enough power, good traction, bad traction, fast corners, slow corners, lotta problems, not so many problems, tires this, tires that, sandbagging or not, good nose, bad nose, funny nose, aero nose..No one nose...
    Its almost as if some posters hate Ferrari, then offer a simplistic explanation that makes the negative post OK.

The line I read that made the most sense? "Tedious to read from 'supporters' every day, but fine." Thanks for that Rossa.
    I dont think we will have a real picture until race 3 or 4..Once things get sorted a bit.

I do have a question though, since theres this fuel limit thing, do they bury the foot at the start of the race, midrace, or do they hang until the final stint to conserve then go like crazy to the end? I do think having fuel restrictions 1st year of the new engines is overdoing it a bit. Mabey wouldve been better to introduce 200 1st year, then 150 2nd year etc..Would love to see them go like bonkers the whole race. You know, like Formula 1...
    If I would be the strategist, I wouldn't save fuel at the beginning of the race, because there is always chance for safety car and I'm afraid that there needs to be safety car
    or rain to get to see some flat-out racing this year because of that stupid 100kg rule..

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    If I would be the strategist, I wouldn't save fuel at the beginning of the race, because there is always chance for safety car and I'm afraid that there needs to be safety car
    or rain to get to see some flat-out racing this year because of that stupid 100kg rule..
    Well, we may see them going flatout in Monaco That's about it. And I think we would need more than 1 safety car on most circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Is the MGH-U unit standard for everyone or does every team make it themselves?
    It is part of the power unit. So supplied by the engine manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post

+1000000

Well said Nova. Couldn't agree with you more.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    The idea behind this seems to be that Ferrari had their own definition of the lap start and lap end, so for example, it could start/end at the end of sector two. So for themselves, if they wanted to do a fast lap, they would do a fast sector 3, sector 1, and a sector 2, and they would have the full lap, but for the official timing, it would mean a fast sector 1, sector 2, and a slowish sector three, or as some have said, they have driven to the pits after two fast first sectors.

I have no opinion on the matter, or whether it is real or just a rumor, just trying to explain how this could work to hide their true pace.

very interesting.
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by LF1Torsion View Post
    Ok, thanks.

If you burn fuel at the start (reduce weight by loss of fuel) then you have a lower cumulative weight for the race compared to doing the same at mid point or at the end.

I don't think these cars will have fuel to burn however, with high power (never full) being used for only a few laps (if that) at key points like in the pit stop in/out lap or to over take/defend.

Open question:

I am interested in if there are any significantl gains to be made by following another car (getting a tow) in terms of fuel saving or would any advantage be lost due to higher tyer deg and over heating?
    Last edited by Bertie; 4th March 2014 at 17:23.

Tech Talk: What did Ferrari have in their bag of tricks at the final test in Bahrain?

Ferrari tried a myriad of tweaks and development bits during the final pre-season test in Bahrain as Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen chased performance on the relatively reliable F14-T.

Our tech expert analyses and explains exactly what the Maranello outfit tried out at Sakhir during those four crucial days of testing.

New Front Wing

Ferrari arrived at Jerez with what seemed like a basic front wing when compared to the one used on the F138. Having done plenty of aero ‘leg-work’ in the first two tests with pitot tube rigs and aero paint, the team unveiled a much more complex wing for the last pre-season test in Bahrain.

This new 7 tier wing (an older specification was used in the preceeding tests) is certainly much closer in specification to the F138′s but instead of finding an almost flat juncture between the mainplane, endplate and footplate we find a clawed outer section to the mainplane that will create an elongated vortex, utilising the outer slots in wing.

The outer claw section allows a different endplate design too, meaning a smaller aperture toward the rear of the component. This is because the outer portion of the wing doesn’t require the injection of flow from the outside.

Roll Hoop Wing

Ferrari have been putting in plenty of mileage over the last few tests which has been helped by some decent power unit reliability. The team have also worked on establishing if the aero problems they have suffered with over the last few seasons have been resolved.

This has required the team to work with both pitot tube rigs and flo-viz painted all around the car. To complete this analysis the team left the adding of new parts until the final test.

It may seem like a small addition but added above the airbox inlet we find a small wing which will help to clean up the airflow that is destined for the rear wing.

It reminds me of a similar wing that featured on the (nearly) all conquering F2004, also used for several seasons thereafter. Perhaps here I must also point out that this year also reunites Ferrari with two designers that were around during that period: Rory Byrne and James Allison and so I question if their influence played it’s role in the wing’s return.

New Rear Wing

When Ferrari launched the F14-T it seemed that the team had taken what they had learnt from the F138 and carried it over. A trailing edge slat populated the rear wing endplate and although it’s predecessor had 2 slats on each endplate the lineage was clear.

At the last test we find that Ferrari have abandoned the slat in favour of a conventional full length endplate doing away with any inefficiencies that the slat carried. The use of the slat(s) originally was to remedy other flow condition problems that the team were having at the rear of the car and although the slat provided this, the overall efficiency window was lowered by the extra drag it would induce. With the slat now removed the team have also extended the longitudinal strakes to the rear edge of the end plate in order to control the way the airflow leaves the end plate.

New Engine Cover

The proposal for the teams to conduct pre-season testing in Bahrain ahead of the 2014 season was to allow the teams to test in a temperature similar to what would be seen at a normal GP weekend.

With this in mind, several teams have been testing variations of their bodywork configuration that will allow them to remain in an optimum thermal window for power unit performance, whilst retaining aerodynamic efficiency.

Ferrari therefore have tested a solution that sees a much larger cooling cannon surround the exhausts whilst an aperture on the spine of the engine cover has been added to provide additional cooling for the turbo. The two configurations are utilsed in order to play aerodynamic efficiency against mechanical sympathy, with warmer climates raising the thermal impact on the power unit, reducing power. (Analysis by Matthew Somerfield)

http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/04/t...st-in-bahrain/

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    I actually emailed james allen on this subject and he replied twice saying he would look into it but there was no sign of this on final day but i remember on auto sport there was a few times when alonso went quickest then slowed down

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    If you burn fuel at the start (reduce weight by loss of fuel) then you have a lower cumulative weight for the race compared to doing the same at mid point or at the end.

I don't think these cars will have fuel to burn however, with high power (never full) being used for only a few laps (if that) at key points like in the pit stop in/out lap or to over take/defend.

Open question:

I am interested in if there are any significantl gains to be made by following another car (getting a tow) in terms of fuel saving or would any advantage be lost due to higher tyer deg and over heating?
    I'd imagine only marginal saving. The engine would still be revving high.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post

Open question:

There should be gains mostly because of opened DRS.

Ok Guys, i See pole, fastest lap, and Alonso First and Räikkönen Second in Melbourne! Any Other opinions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Smintlemon View Post
    Ok Guys, i See pole, fastest lap, and Alonso First and Räikkönen Second in Melbourne! Any Other opinions ?
    I just hope you are not into betting

No risk no fun

Quote Originally Posted by LF1Torsion View Post
    But in our case we have a very close collaboration with Magneti Marelli who is our official supplier of various electronic components and hybrid systems such as the MGU-H and MGU-K.

Quote Originally Posted by Smintlemon View Post
    No risk no fun
    I just bet almost my weeks salary for Kimi to be the champ this year. No risk, no fun and U gotta have faith

I just bet almost my weeks salary for Kimi to be the champ this year. No risk, no fun and U gotta have faith
    hyvä