Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alonso and the Italian press

Alonso and the Italian press

I wonder if we have any fan here that lives in Italy and can explain why the Italian press is so weird with Alonso. For example he is getting eights for the China GP when the International press is giving him tens or nines (plus winning all the poll of driver of the day), then we have Leo Turrini saying that the only thing he has done in this last 5 years is build his ego, and he blames him for not improving the car.

This is a trend that has being going since 2013.

Taking into account what Alonso has done in the past 5 years for Ferrari, I think they should be grateful but I guess they have another thing in ther minds.
    Last edited by Kingdom Hearts; 23rd April 2014 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    I wonder if we have any fan here that lives in Italy and can explain why the Italian press is so weird with Alonso. For example he is getting eights for the China GP when the International press is giving him tens or nines (plus winning all the poll of driver of the day), then we have Leo Turrini saying that the only thing he has done in this last 5 years is build his ego, and he blames him for not improving the car.

This is a trend that has being going since 2013.

Taking into account what Alonso has done in the past 5 years for Ferrari, I think they should be grateful but I guess they have another thing in ther minds.
    Leo Turrini?

He is a self-confessed anti-Alonsoist. I don't even consider him a proper journalist, given his tendency to spread rumours without source and half-invented conversations without clarifying which part is true and which his own invention.

I agree on the change in heart from La Gazzetta, though. It does not bode well.

The Italian press are a laughing stock. Would ignore them. Totally unappreciative of Alonso

What more do they want. Anyone who knows anything about f1 knows the ferrari was at best a 5th placer in the last gp. Alonso skill got t to third. Still he only gets 8 come on

Isn't that Leo guy the person who claimed Ferrari wants to get rid of Kimi. People like him aren't journalist.

The Italian press are a law unto themselves, they never give any credit unless Ferrari are winning but in my opinion they had more time for Alonso and Kimi than they ever had for Felipe after his accident. Fair enough, Felipe's results didn't do him justice, but I met several Italians who laughed when I mentioned my support for Felipe, especially those at Monza last year, where Felipe came round the first lap in 2nd place! There's no rhyme nor reason to some of the comments La Gazzetta and Autosprint come out with, but at least they cover Ferrari in depth, just as the British press promote Lewis incessantly. It's the way of the world, especially in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    The Italian press are a law unto themselves, they never give any credit unless Ferrari are winning but in my opinion they had more time for Alonso and Kimi than they ever had for Felipe after his accident. Fair enough, Felipe's results didn't do him justice, but I met several Italians who laughed when I mentioned my support for Felipe, especially those at Monza last year, where Felipe came round the first lap in 2nd place! There's no rhyme nor reason to some of the comments La Gazzetta and Autosprint come out with, but at least they cover Ferrari in depth, just as the British press promote Lewis incessantly. It's the way of the world, especially in the media.
    From what I have read here and elsewhere, Felipe Massa was very unfairly treated by the press in general and particularly so by the Brazilian media. A shame, because I understand that it affected both him and his family while he had done nothing to deserve such treatment.

Yep, the media were often very critical of Massa, and often create rumors that Massa will be fired mid season. I'm glad Massa is now beating Bottas, that should shut the critics up.

Quote Originally Posted by Meiga View Post
    From what I have read here and elsewhere, Felipe Massa was very unfairly treated by the press in general and particularly so by the Brazilian media. A shame, because I understand that it affected both him and his family while he had done nothing to deserve such treatment.
    That was the exact problem, he did nothing to help his cause. (just kidding). I think he put te car where it deserved to be just as Kimi is doing now.

If u look at history (of Ferrari), the Italian press was never really kind to Enzo or the Scuderia.

As far as Alonso and his critics go, I see that Alonso is cerebral and cephalic enough to see the truth for himself. That is what makes him "complete" driver. He is witty enough to stay out, persevere and nail it when it matters. Pure intelligence. You can see it from the interviews. Vettel is good as well. Again, you can see it from spontaneous interviews.

Regarding Massa being faster than Bo77as. Massa is not exactly setting Bottas on fire.

I am genuinely worried about people like Massa, the mass of people who are behind the canonical "latino" stereotype. AKA "passionate", "impulsive", "temperamental" ones. The ones that are prone to justify things in rather superstitious way, which is clearly delusional way most of the time. Those are more vulnerable to the opinions from outside being extroverts most of the time.

Putting that aside, having given it a thought, I say of the current pilots on the grid, Kamui Kobayashi would give most trouble to anyone given the same machinery. Why ? He has the typical Japanese trait - unbendable will power that takes him through tough times, annealing and toughening his character along the way. Given enough opportunity he will cut through anyone like hot knife through the butter. Japanese fans see it. I guess some of non japanese fans see it as well.

ps: you might assume I am a little drunk.

The home press is always the most critical one towards their own national team in any country, that's how it's always been and always will be. Nothing new or surprising about it.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkelberg View Post
    As far as Alonso and his critics go, I see that Alonso is cerebral and cephalic enough to see the truth for himself. That is what makes him "complete" driver. He is witty enough to stay out, persevere and nail it when it matters. Pure intelligence. You can see it from the interviews. Vettel is good as well. Again, you can see it from spontaneous interviews.

Regarding Massa being faster than Bo77as. Massa is not exactly setting Bottas on fire.

I am genuinely worried about people like Massa, the mass of people who are behind the canonical "latino" stereotype. AKA "passionate", "impulsive", "temperamental" ones. The ones that are prone to justify things in rather superstitious way, which is clearly delusional way most of the time. Those are more vulnerable to the opinions from outside being extroverts most of the time.

Putting that aside, having given it a thought, I say of the current pilots on the grid, Kamui Kobayashi would give most trouble to anyone given the same machinery. Why ? He has the typical Japanese trait - unbendable will power that takes him through tough times, annealing and toughening his character along the way. Given enough opportunity he will cut through anyone like hot knife through the butter. Japanese fans see it. I guess some of non japanese fans see it as well.

ps: you might assume I am a little drunk.
    Not sure what reaction you're expecting to your views, but there's nothing wrong with the Latino temperament or ability, that's what our passion has been built on! Yes they get affected by outside pressures and criticism because they are emotional people and take things to their hearts, whereas Kamui is very much of the kamikaze type. Alonso has the intelligence to let it go over his head but it's rare that he gets criticised as he is such a brilliant driver. I get your point but have a feeling you may well have indulged in some Dutch courage before posting!! Cheers.

That must have really hurt Felipe, but I suppose Brazil desperately wanted another champion/idol and much as he tried, he couldn't get things to gel all at once. Pity. And Nero Horse is quite right about any national media, it's par for the course and will never change, so best to ignore it! And I nearly forgot that Felipe now drives for Williams.
    Last edited by wisepie; 23rd April 2014 at 17:17.

I agree Alonso should get more credit. Often the team sends him with a knife to a gunfight and yet he manages to holds his own. I think it's case of "Ferrari are bad: Let's blame absolutely everyone"

Not sure what reaction you're expecting to your views, but there's nothing wrong with the Latino temperament or ability, that's what our passion has been built on! Yes they get affected by outside pressures and criticism because they are emotional people and take things to their hearts, whereas Kamui is very much of the kamikaze type. Alonso has the intelligence to let it go over his head but it's rare that he gets criticised as he is such a brilliant driver. I get your point but have a feeling you may well have indulged in some Dutch courage before posting!! Cheers.
    Can you please describe certain Maldonado. Do you find him rational ? Is he kamikaze type ? If so, is he different to Kamui ? In what way ?

All of the above are genuine questions.

As a pure Ferrari supporter (meaning I am not attaching myself to drivers), Italian press should be grateful for having FA in Ferrari, and making it look strong and competitive. Otherwise they would look like very mediocre....

Don't see the issue if the press give him a 8/10? not like they are saying he is a waste of space.
    Forza Ferrari

I totally agree with you on this wisepie! We like Felipe most of all because of his personality. Maybe he isn't the best driver (eventhough I think Felipe wouldn't have done worse in the F14 T compared to Kimi, but that says a lot about Fernando) but it's the combination of his personality and his total dedication that we Massabots really like!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Don't see the issue if the press give him a 8/10? not like they are saying he is a waste of space.
    must say this is one of the rare times i agree with Greig.....

Yes I know from an (online) Brazilian friend that the Brazilian media treated Felipe rather badly - I get the sense like a lot like the UK, they like to knock people down after building them up. But apparently after Malaysia this year and the whole team order mess, the media there have really gotten behind him again. I think it must be very tough for any Brazilian F1 driver to live up to the expectations of the public and media over there, because everyone is looking for a Senna replacement.

As for the 'Latino' temperament - I absolutely love passion and impulsiveness in a driver, even if it makes them a bit wild or erratic. It's the reason I naturally leant towards Felipe in 2007 rather than Kimi when I needed a Michael substitute
    Forza Jules

Greig you are missing the point, is not about the score is about what is going on with him and the italian press for almost a year.

F1 fans need only watch the races; watch the replays during the race, then read or listen to the actual drivers comments. At that point we know as much if not more than any news person. If anyone is not aware of Alonso 's driving greatness at this point, esp with the car he's driving, they need to watch GP2 then gradually work their way up to understanding F! and esp. the drivers. The 2014 version of Vettel is great ex. of how things go in F1.
    [SIGPIC]

Sports journalism tend to have habit of knocking people down, IMO. Where I live here, the news regarding Man U coach sacking all sounded like angry fans ranting, lol. Not that I'm a fan of Man U, but there's just no professionalism when it comes to football "reporting"

I agree w/brembo man, watch the race & draw your own conclusions on the drivers.
    Too bad we still need the media to fill in about all the chatter off the track else I could turn off the volume & play a soundtrack of some sweet V12 noise
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkelberg View Post
    Can you please describe certain Maldonado. Do you find him rational ? Is he kamikaze type ? If so, is he different to Kamui ? In what way ?

All of the above are genuine questions.
    I certainly don't find Maldonado rational or cerebral either, he is a bit like a kamikaze because he doesn't seem to be able to engage his brain before making a move. I think Latino brains can be just as clever as others, they just have a more temperamental and emotional side which sometimes gets in the way of achieving true greatness. Kamui was always a bit kamikaze, he has no fear and is fun to watch. Of course circumstances and the competitiveness of whatever car is being driven makes a difference in how we perceive a driver, so there's no clear answer to your question but it's a genuine opinion on my part!

Alonso is not the problem here, far from it, are the Italians now jealous their not Spanish ;) f1worldtour.com

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27101735
    “……..what a good driver he (Alonso) is and it's worth pointing out that only at McLaren with Hamilton, in 2007, has a team-mate really given him any trouble.
    It's not that one was better than the other; it's that Alonso was not in a happy place back then. He was given the big honeymoon by Ron Dennis and then got jilted at the altar because Dennis turned his attentions to Hamilton. “

I know this is an Alonso & Italian press thread but it’s the closest I can get for a little piece re. Alonso/ media/ commentators.

My jaw actually dropped when I read this piece by David Coulthard, I’ve never heard or read a British commentator being quite so open about the wretched time Alonso was given at McLaren in 2007. ( KR fans, do not read!!)
    What with Brundle smiling happily upon him in interviews and Kravitz hoping he’ll win the WDC in 2014! Perhaps I might be able to watch F1 with the volume turned up soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27101735
    “……..what a good driver he (Alonso) is and it's worth pointing out that only at McLaren with Hamilton, in 2007, has a team-mate really given him any trouble.
    It's not that one was better than the other; it's that Alonso was not in a happy place back then. He was given the big honeymoon by Ron Dennis and then got jilted at the altar because Dennis turned his attentions to Hamilton. “

I know this is an Alonso & Italian press thread but it’s the closest I can get for a little piece re. Alonso/ media/ commentators.

My jaw actually dropped when I read this piece by David Coulthard, I’ve never heard or read a British commentator being quite so open about the wretched time Alonso was given at McLaren in 2007. ( KR fans, do not read!!)
    What with Brundle smiling happily upon him in interviews and Kravitz hoping he’ll win the WDC in 2014! Perhaps I might be able to watch F1 with the volume turned up soon!
    2007 was a bit messy really. Ron tried to really screw Alonso, and I think the peak of that was sending him out on incorrect tyre pressures in the rain at Fuji a major contributor to that accident. I'm surprised he drove as well as he dd considering Ron trying to sabotage him as much as possible.

Italian press are like this with ratings like this. Same happens in football. A 10 is practically unheard of in GdS (the only one i could remember was Cannavaro in Euro 2000).

I actually have to agree with Greig on this one
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif