Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ayrton Senna at Ferrari: A deal that was stopped from the inside

Quote Originally Posted by Alesi1 View Post
    Me too. No one was better, more committed ever. Just look at what the drivers think and it gives you the best measure. Senna always comes out on top of driver ratings.
    Don't exaggerate. Schumi was just as good and just as committed, if not even more so. But if you think that Senna was the greatest of all-time then fair enough, you're entitled to your own opinion and I'm not going to argue, in my opinion Schumi is the greatest and always will be. Actually, it's basically impossible to compare drivers from different eras and definitively say who's the best of all-time.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Actually, it's basically impossible to compare drivers from different eras and definitively say who's the best of all-time.
    Exactly!

Any truth to the rumours that Senna would have signed with us in 1996 (instead of Schumacher) ?

It is amazing how this day stick in some peoples mind ...
    I can nearly remember the whole weekend and where I was when I heard about Rubens, Roland and Ayrton ... and after all these years and you look behind you can see how destiny is weaving its result which leads you to this point ...

The thing at this point which makes me angry most was the way they treated the accident of Roland. As he died at the track there should have been a stopping of the whole weekend (as law is telling) ... But it was only Roland ... and that's where some arrogated destiny too much ..

Reading a comment by Sid Watkins that he felt when soul of Ayrton passed away and left his body ... and still the race went on ... as his official dead had been moved to another point ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
    It is amazing how this day stick in some peoples mind ...
    I can nearly remember the whole weekend and where I was when I heard about Rubens, Roland and Ayrton ... and after all these years and you look behind you can see how destiny is weaving its result which leads you to this point ...

The thing at this point which makes me angry most was the way they treated the accident of Roland. As he died at the track there should have been a stopping of the whole weekend (as law is telling) ... But it was only Roland ... and that's where some arrogated destiny too much ..

Reading a comment by Sid Watkins that he felt when soul of Ayrton passed away and left his body ... and still the race went on ... as his official dead had been moved to another point ...
    I saw, a time ago, movie SENNA. Nice look into his private and racing life. At some points very emotional...

SENNA is really a great documentary ... really like it ... like a enjoyed RUSH ... i.e. maybe it is a bit too heroic and much more a tale but I never knew that Lauda was also good in technique. My picture from Lauda was more a "calculator" (similar like Prost) and fine in tactics. But RUSH also offers that Lauda was good in understanding how to change a car technique wise ...

regarding Senna

from german paper ams
    actual interview with Newey
    "I made mistake at the aerodynamics of the car," admits Newey, now head of Red Bull Technology, in an interview with the online edition of auto motor und sport (ams).
    "The window to ground clearances, where the car was working, was too small." That's also one theory why Senna lost control of his vehicle in Imola on the bumps of the Tamburello curve.
    "I was at the track (remark during a test session) and have watched our car. Nogaro (test track) was like Imola: a track with very many bumps. I immediately realized what the problem was our car. The side boxes were too long," said Newey.

Somewhere over the bumps the air flow in the diffuser disturbed and broke, because the front end of the track side boxes were too close. The time to Imola was to short to change it.

The fact that Williams still stood in all three races on pole position, you have only to thank Senna. "No other driver would have done it with this car."
    And this - for me - makes the difference between a good driver and an extraordinary one: to get things done where you don't feel comfortable and even the technicians say it is not possible ... just being like a the reason why the bumble bee just flies ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alesi1 View Post
    Me too. No one was better, more committed ever. Just look at what the drivers think and it gives you the best measure. Senna always comes out on top of driver ratings.
    I couldn't agree more! And imagine if Senna had the likes of Todt behind him giving the Let him pass on the radio like Rubens teamate had going for him from the first race to the end, just in case he needed a point or two or not. Senna for sure was the best. I'm sure even Prost would agree.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I saw, a time ago, movie SENNA. Nice look into his private and racing life. At some points very emotional...
    Just watched it again Sunday nite, at least the 2nd & maybe 3rd time. The man was amazing on the track & even better off the track, has left a lasting mark with the foundation he quietly started. Also his success brought a lot of joy to the people of Brazil at a time things were extremely bad for them. The thing for me was always the passion & commitment he brought, just like all the rest of the great ones. Plus he was just so likable to me.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

:( ... Rubens ... destiny's wake up call ...

too bad I'm not able to watch "The last team mate" and "Remember Roland" on skysports ...

Quote Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
    :( ... Rubens ... destiny's wake up call ...

too bad I'm not able to watch "The last team mate" and "Remember Roland" on skysports ...
    Wonder if they have these on their websites? I'll have to at least check it tomorrow, nothing at all like those titles in USA.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Senna wanted to come to Ferrari

Luca di Montezemolo has revealed that Ayrton Senna wanted to join the Scuderia and that the two met for talks just days before the Brazilian's fatal accident at the San Marino Grand Prix.

Montezemolo's comments come ahead of the 20th anniversary of Senna's death this week on May 1, with the Ferrari president claiming that they were going to look at how they 'could overcome his contractual obligations at the time', although he didn't reveal precisely when the three-time F1 world champion wanted to switch teams.

“He wanted to come to Ferrari and I wanted him in the team,” Montezemolo told Ferrari's official website. “When he was in Italy for the San Marino Grand Prix, we met at my home in Bologna on Wednesday 27 April.

“He told me he really appreciated the stand we had taken against the excessive use of electronic aids for driving, which didn't allow a driver's skill to shine through.

"We spoke for a long time and he made it clear to me that he wanted to end his career at Ferrari, having come close to joining us a few years earlier. We agreed to meet again soon, so as to look at how we could overcome his contractual obligations at the time. We were both in agreement that Ferrari would be the ideal place for him to further his career, which to date had been brilliant, even unique.

“Unfortunately, fate robbed all of us of Ayrton and Roland Ratzenberger over one of the saddest weekends in Formula 1 history.”

Montezemolo meanwhile also spoke of his admiration for Brazilian: “Of Senna, I remember his kindness and his simple almost shy nature, which was in complete contrast to Senna the driver, a fighter always aiming for the best.”

“I always appreciated Ayrton's style of racing,” Montezemolo added. “As with all great champions, he had an incredible will to win and never tired of seeking perfection, trying to improve all the time.

“He was really extraordinary in qualifying, but also a great battler in the races, when he always fought tooth and nail”.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/203831/...m_campaign=rss
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

His yellow helmet would've looked great in a red Ferrari that's for sure.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

It would have been great, but the pic of the No27 Ferrari brings back memories of Gilles whose career ended just as tragically. Not a nice memory.

Remember Roland ... worked so hard for his dream to come true, without the help of big money ... and then ended so quick by horror ...

A few fans here use the word hate towards any driver who's not or was not driving for Ferrari. Am I safe here saying although Alonso is my favorite driver because he's the best and is on my favorite team, I still follow and wish the best for Felipe at Williams? I always thought of Ayrton as the best and wished him on Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by anacleto View Post
    A few fans here use the word hate towards any driver who's not or was not driving for Ferrari. Am I safe here saying although Alonso is my favorite driver because he's the best and is on my favorite team, I still follow and wish the best for Felipe at Williams? I always thought of Ayrton as the best and wished him on Ferrari.
    You're safe with most or at least many here. Only a few that seem to not like Felipe, a little more that say now that he's not w/Ferrari he's just another driver. Then, it seems to me, there are many that still like him very much & would be happy to see him do well as long as it's not at Ferrari's expense!
    There is the Forza Felipe topic in the General Discussions section of the forum where members can go for a quick "Felipe Fix".
    I've been a Ferrari supporter for a long, long time, but through all those years there have always been notable drivers on other teams that I admired. After a while as a fan, I realized they were just there to ripen until Ferrari were ready to "pick" them.
    Forza Ferrari !

I couldn't agree more! There's F1 teams and then there's Ferrari. It's every drivers dream. Think about just how lucky Kimi is! Twice with the best! Go figure ?

I admired Senna's craft but never really hoped he'd come to Ferrari though I
    would have supported him if he had - as I would anyone who drove/drives
    for our team. My problem was with Senna's self-righteous attitude but that's
    now all in the past and no one has to answer to me anyway.

Thumbs up

its really had to say who is great! Aryton was the best driver and records say Michael is the greatest......................

Now that Aryton was the real MAN, people love him for his character, on the record books Michael over shadows Aryton, yes Aryton din race for as many years as Michael did.
    Just like Fernando Aryton would push hard with a low performance car to a stunning results, but when we see records, Sebastian is the winner. History speaks of records, may be after few years when non of us would be alive, future generation would speak of Sebastian was better than Fernando, which is not true as we all know now!

What to say and what to comment is diffficult, we love Aryton for his killer instinct which was not seen much with other drivers at that time. Truly we would like to see the best driver win the race and championship, but we are witnessing a decent driver winning the championship! Alas, really confused to comment!

This is in no contention that am a ferrari fan, the words i wrote is as a neutral person.

Being a Fernando fan, i really want to see him winning and suppressing the records.

Quote Originally Posted by anacleto View Post
    I couldn't agree more! There's F1 teams and then there's Ferrari. It's every drivers dream. Think about just how lucky Kimi is! Twice with the best! Go figure ?
    Yeah! When first time I saw Kimi in red in 2007, it felt weird! See him in Ferrari that is always I wanted...he went off at 2010, gone to rally but came back to F1 and finally returned to Ferrari team...I'm just very happy to see that.

What great Memories !!

No Scuderia driver has ever truly been 'bigger' than Ferrari. Gilles got close, one of the few drivers Enzo cared for/ about...
    Trying to be less angry..

2021 and Ferrari is still a drivers #1 wish. Leclerc and Sainz are deserving of the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by sreenivaschinne View Post
    its really had to say who is great! Aryton was the best driver and records say Michael is the greatest......................

Now that Aryton was the real MAN, people love him for his character, on the record books Michael over shadows Aryton, yes Aryton din race for as many years as Michael did.
    Just like Fernando Aryton would push hard with a low performance car to a stunning results, but when we see records, Sebastian is the winner. History speaks of records, may be after few years when non of us would be alive, future generation would speak of Sebastian was better than Fernando, which is not true as we all know now!

What to say and what to comment is diffficult, we love Aryton for his killer instinct which was not seen much with other drivers at that time. Truly we would like to see the best driver win the race and championship, but we are witnessing a decent driver winning the championship! Alas, really confused to comment!

This is in no contention that am a ferrari fan, the words i wrote is as a neutral person.

Being a Fernando fan, i really want to see him winning and suppressing the records.
    With Michael, it's not the numbers that make him the one and true GOAT.
    It's how he was involved and how he built the team and changed the attitude of the garage.
    The very fact that while he was already accomplished in Benetton Ford, he did choose to go in a Ferrari with a lot of troubles, in order to take them (along with a number of people, yes) back to the titles.
    He could have very well chosen to stay to Benetton and the way Benneton Ford was, he would have at least another 1-2 WDC right there.
    But no, he fought from 1996 to 2000 in order to accomplish the 2000 - 2004 period.
    The 2000 was actually a WDC/WCC that was accomplished with a car that was not the best in the field, something rarely accomplished in F1.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    With Michael, it's not the numbers that make him the one and true GOAT.
    It's how he was involved and how he built the team and changed the attitude of the garage.
    The very fact that while he was already accomplished in Benetton Ford, he did choose to go in a Ferrari with a lot of troubles, in order to take them (along with a number of people, yes) back to the titles.
    He could have very well chosen to stay to Benetton and the way Benneton Ford was, he would have at least another 1-2 WDC right there.
    But no, he fought from 1996 to 2000 in order to accomplish the 2000 - 2004 period.
    The 2000 was actually a WDC/WCC that was accomplished with a car that was not the best in the field, something rarely accomplished in F1.
    Quite agree, aroutis, but the likelihood of that sort of team building using the best people available and having the patience, skill and determination to achieve their goals is asking possibly too much in this day and age. To have had Brawn and Todt in for the long haul was a credit to Michael's pulling power as a driver, there's no comparison with what he achieved from a relatively poor base point. We are starting to see Binotto's efforts pay off but he is a technical expert, we also have two of the best drivers, so let's pray that we can return to the top step in the near future. Much as I admired and supported Michael and what he did for our team, I was more of a Felipe fan, but that's just me!
    Last edited by wisepie; 12th October 2021 at 17:10.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Quite agree, aroutis, but the likelihood of that sort of team building using the best people available and having the patience, skill and determination to achieve their goals is asking possibly too much in this day and age. To have had Brawn and Todt in for the long haul was a credit to Michael's pulling power as a driver, there's no comparison with what he achieved from a relatively poor base point. We are starting to see Binotto's efforts pay off but he is a technical expert, we also have two of the best drivers, so let's pray that we can return to the top step in the near future. Much as I admired and supported Michael and what he did for our team, I was more of a Felipe fan, but that's just me!
    This is the thing tho, isn't it?
    That pulling power of Michael, as a driver, is exactly what makes him stand out.
    As for Binotto, for the sake of Ferrari, I do hope he succeeds. And I believe he will judging from the results so far.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    This is the thing tho, isn't it?
    That pulling power of Michael, as a driver, is exactly what makes him stand out.
    As for Binotto, for the sake of Ferrari, I do hope he succeeds. And I believe he will judging from the results so far.
    It's taken a long time for Binotto's input to be showing some gains, and the team were hamstrung after the 2019 engine saga, but it does finally look to to be bearing fruit judging by Sochi and Turkey.